Quotes of the day

posted at 10:38 pm on May 3, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Holder, a longtime opponent of keeping the Guantanamo Bay prison open, was asked whether lawmakers could be assured that the intelligence that led to bin Laden’s killing was not the result of waterboarding and other methods used under the George W. Bush administration to extract information from inmates.

“‘There was a mosaic of sources that lead to the identification of the people’ that ultimately led to al-Qaida’s leader, Holder told the House Judiciary Committee.

“When asked if ‘any’ enhanced interrogation techniques directly led to bin Laden’s killing, Holder simply replied: ‘I do not know.’”

***
[A] closer look at prisoner interrogations suggests that the harsh techniques played a small role at most in identifying Bin Laden’s trusted courier and exposing his hide-out. One detainee who apparently was subjected to some tough treatment provided a crucial description of the courier, according to current and former officials briefed on the interrogations. But two prisoners who underwent some of the harshest treatment — including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who was waterboarded 183 times — repeatedly misled their interrogators about the courier’s identity…

“In 2004 … a Qaeda operative named Hassan Ghul, captured in Iraq, gave a different account of Mr. Kuwaiti, according to the American official. Mr. Ghul told interrogators that Mr. Kuwaiti was a trusted courier who was close to Bin Laden, as well as to Mr. Mohammed and to Abu Faraj al-Libi, who had become the operational chief of Al Qaeda after Mr. Mohammed’s capture.

“Mr. Kuwaiti, Mr. Ghul added, had not been seen in some time — which analysts thought was a possible indication that the courier was hiding out with Bin Laden.

“The details of Mr. Ghul’s treatment are unclear, though the C.I.A. says he was not waterboarded. The C.I.A. asked the Justice Department to authorize other harsh methods for use on him, but it is unclear which were used. One official recalled that Mr. Ghul was ‘quite cooperative,’ saying that rough treatment, if any, would have been brief.”

***
“The revelation that intelligence gleaned from the CIA’s so-called black sites helped kill bin Laden was seen as vindication for many intelligence officials who have been repeatedly investigated and criticized for their involvement in a program that involved the harshest interrogation methods in U.S. history.

“‘We got beat up for it, but those efforts led to this great day,’ said Marty Martin, a retired CIA officer who for years led the hunt for bin Laden.

“Mohammed did not reveal the names while being subjected to the simulated drowning technique known as waterboarding, former officials said. He identified them many months later under standard interrogation, they said, leaving it once again up for debate as to whether the harsh technique was a valuable tool or an unnecessarily violent tactic.”

***
“After Qahtani was subjected to some of the humiliating interrogations at Guantanamo that later became public, he started to cooperate and, for a while, provided a wealth of information about al-Qaida, including references to the courier in question, the U.S. official said…

“But U.S. officials stressed that none of the detainees at that point offered up the real identity of the courier. ‘All we had was the nom de guerre,’ said the U.S. official. To one counterterrorism expert who has sharply criticized the CIA’s interrogations, the failure of any of the high-value detainees to provide the identity of the courier raises fresh questions about the value of the information the agency was receiving from enhanced interrogations.

“‘They waterboarded KSM (Khaled Sheikh Mohammed) 183 times and he still didn’t give the guy up,’ said one former U.S. counterterrorism official who asked not to be identified. ‘Come on. And you want to tell me that enhanced interrogation techniques worked?’”

***

“Imagine what would have happened if the Obama administration had been running things immediately following 9/11. After their ‘arrest,’ we would have read KSM and al-Libi their Miranda rights, provided them legal counsel, sent them to the U.S. for detention, and granted them all the rights provided a U.S. citizen in criminal proceedings.

“If this had happened, the CIA could not have built the intelligence mosaic that pinpointed bin Laden’s location. Without the intelligence produced by Bush policies, the SEAL helicopters would be idling their engines at their Afghanistan base even now. In the war on terror, it is easy to pull the trigger—it is hard to figure out where to aim.”

***
Via Greg Hengler.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***
Via Gateway Pundit.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ll bet you a million bucks his first thought was to say “There was a penumbra of sources…” Then he thought better of it…

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM

That’s just the bitter aftertaste of Pyrrhic, Left. Get used to it.

rrpjr on May 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

How many days until January 20, 2013?

God help us!!!

PappyD61 on May 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Just a reminder:

Pouring water on someone: extreme torture that destroyed moral superiority of USA.

Decapitating infidel with rusty machete on live video feed: natural response to Western occupation of Arab lands.

Kataklysmic on May 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I’m no CIA interrogator, but if I were, I’ll bet I’d say all the techniques combine to achieve a cumulative effect on the subject, a gradual breaking-down that might not bear fruit immediately, but which would, over time. I wonder what Liz Cheney will have to say on this subject. Liz? Are you out there?

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

How many days until January 20, 2013?

God help us!!!

PappyD61 on May 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

About as many days as the Libya thing will continue.

Electrongod on May 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

We know that it’s you under that cloak Richard Clark.

darwin-t on May 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Boy Leon is going to get an earful from his wife Slyvia.
Their Panetta Institute in Monterey is a monument to RINO and Liberal circle jerking over anything right of center.
This can’t help ticket sales for their guest programs.

jjshaka on May 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

If I punch you in the mouth 15 times while asking you a question, then later on ask you a question, do you think you might answer it lest you get punched in the mouth again?

WATERBOARDING is *NOT* “Torture.” In my own personal opinion, the word “torture” carries a connotative meaning, that the one inflicting it derives some sort of pleasure from it; either a laugh, up to some sick perverse satisfaction. I sincerely doubt any of (at least OUR) people involved in “enhanced” interrogations would be those type of people.

JamesLee on May 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Splashing water on a terrorist’s head: Torture!

Putting a bullet through a terrorist’s head: Yes We Can!

RedRedRice on May 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM

This administration condemned waterboarding, but is fine with double tapping a bad guy in the face. They are against the unlawful imprisonment of prisoners at Gitmo, but is fine with taking out every bad guy with drones.

Wierd. Just wierd.

Star20 on May 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Kataklysmic on May 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I was thinking about this earlier. The Obama admin is hemming and hawing over showing one still photo of a corpse, yet the mujahideen don’t hesitate to interrupt Muslim Idol with a real-time live feed of infidels, or other random Muslims being decapitated or tortured. I wonder why they persist in thinking we will be easy to defeat?

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

JamesLee on May 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Gulp. Uh, what do you want to know? Checkbook’s in that drawer.

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Here’s another video to add to the pile AP.

Anyone see BOR jump all over little Alan Colmes and throw Rummy under the bus too?

I thought poor Monica Crowley was going to start crying or something like that.

Knucklehead on May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I just can’t get the SEALS who had to go to court to fight charges for punching a terroris out of my head.

MayBee on May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

As far as I’m concerned Pakistan is Indian territory.

FloatingRock on May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Holder appears to have been hung on his own petard. Karma, baby, K-A-R-M-A!

GarandFan on May 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

HA!..HA!..HA!..I think and hope your days are numbered Eric Holder!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Holder appears to have been hung on his own petard. Karma, baby, K-A-R-M-A!

GarandFan on May 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Shudder…

d1carter on May 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM

OK, that’s all I really need to read. Enhanced interrogation worked. This guy should know.

JohnInCA on May 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Knucklehead on May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I thought BOR was going to punch Skeletor…hoping.

d1carter on May 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Progressive talking Points!
============================

If GITMO was closed…..OBL would be alive!!

Yes,I know,pure crazy talk,but ya know,this
is going to be some serious revisionist history
remodeling…..in the Liberals favour,by Leftys
of course!!

I am going to buy tickets to this event,on how
they(Liberal Operatives) spin this Kabucki Dance
on how,Obama,through waterboarding,and not closeing
GITMO….lead to this spectular America’s #1 Most
Wanted!!(snark)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

How many days until January 20, 2013?

God help us!!!

PappyD61 on May 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Here

SouthernGent on May 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Knucklehead on May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Meh. Colmes talked right over him.

rrpjr on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

As far as I’m concerned Pakistan is Indian territory.

FloatingRock on May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

FloatingRock:Lol…you,you..Sh*t-Distruber!

(Kidding):)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I have a 2-step solution:

1. Close Gitmo and hand the whole kit’n kaboodle over to the Paks.

2. Boom.

Bruno Strozek on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I’m like ElRushbo..Some of these Liberals owe America an apology!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

How many days until January 20, 2013?

God help us!!!

PappyD61 on May 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM
===============
Here

SouthernGent on May 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM

SouthernGent:Sweet,ripping from Rush’s archives,

America Held Hostage,Part Deux:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM
===================================

I’m like ElRushbo..Some of these Liberals owe America an apology!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Dire Straits:Big time,the Left,seem to forget,the 8 Years
of Hate,and wanting All of this(WOT,9/11)to
go away!!

I think,Obama is trying to usher in a NEW Era,
and Paradigm,(A Progressive Mindset)btw,as clo
sure,as if its all over,Terrorism,that is!!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I think,Obama is trying to usher in a NEW Era,
and Paradigm,(A Progressive Mindset)btw,as clo
sure,as if its all over,Terrorism,that is!!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:06 PM

You have a point!..But that is not going to work!..Our memories are way too long friend!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

If enhanced interrogation doesn’t work – you’re doing it wrong!

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I’m like ElRushbo..Some of these Liberals owe America an apology!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Exactly. Conservatives just don’t act like liberals do on matters of national security.

Show me the right’s version of Cindy Sheehan.

Show me the right’s version of antiwar demonstrations.

Show me the right’s version of “The war is lost”

Show me the right’s version of “Saddam’s torture chambers have re-opened under U.S. management” (even after the kill squads under Obama were killing civilians and chopping off fingers, no republicans tried to score political points on that)

Show me the right’s version of Ted Koppel reading the names of all of the soldiers killed.

It doesn’t happen. No matter what differences we have on domestic policy and foreign policy, Conservatives are generally supportive of war efforts. We may not agree on every strategy or tactic, but we generally don’t try to undermine an active war. And that is exactly what the left did during the entire 8 years of Bush. They do owe America an apology.

JohnInCA on May 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

“Upon taking office, Mr. Obama tried to fulfill the dreams of the antiwar left. In January 2009, he signed executive orders to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay and limit the CIA to U.S. military interrogation methods. He made it clear that al Qaeda leaders would be tried in civilian courts. And in August 2009, his attorney general, Eric Holder, launched a criminal investigation into CIA officers who had interrogated al Qaeda leaders.”

THIS…

… will NEVER be forgotten!

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

So..um..will there be calls for an investigation into
who,what,where,and was waterboarding really done!!

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:21 PM

How is this?

Obama took SIXTEEN HOURS to Decide to Kill bin Laden

Nearly Nobody on May 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:21 PM

You need to check Theo Spark out if you haven’t!…Some funny jokes..:)

PS..There is also a nice bearskin rug!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I just can’t get the SEALS who had to go to court to fight charges for punching a terrorist out of my head.

MayBee on May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Fact is MayBee…

… they didn’t. The terrorist bit his own lip and played the system.

That is why the SEALs wanted a Court Martial and wouldn’t just be reprimanded…

… They wanted their day in court to face off against Obowma’s and Holder’s lawyers who defended the terrorist.

When the light of day was shown upon the case…

… All three SEALs were exonerated.

THIS, too…

… will NEVER be forgotten.

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:25 PM

I’m like ElRushbo..Some of these Liberals owe America an apology!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

JohnInCA on May 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

JohnInCA:And,Conservatives don’t delay a press confrence for
over an hour,to make sure the Astro-Turf,of busing
in students,with little American flags at the WH
Gates,

unless,someone can show me,by pure serendipity,that
there was visiting school class’s on field trips,
from out of state,that just so happened to be on a
late night Bus Tour,of Washington!!!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM

If enhanced interrogation doesn’t work – you’re doing it wrong!

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM

LMAO Ka-ching.

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM

How is this?

Obama took SIXTEEN HOURS to Decide to Kill bin Laden

Nearly Nobody on May 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Couldn’t tell ‘ya…

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM

So cynical, you …. Conservative, you! :)

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I like Doug Ross’s formulation:

Dem’s worst nightmare: Terror Wiretaps plus Invasion of Iraq plus Rendition plus Waterboarding Led to Bin Laden.

rrpjr on May 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

MayBee on May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

MayBee:Yes,that is a burning question,and so,the conclusion
is, POLITICAL BEYOND SICKENING!!

Hopey,hauls seals off to court,then,uses them!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Plus didn’t Obie’s Team court martial some of the Navy Seals when they captured one of the muslim thugs and supposedly gave him a fat lip?!..:(

PS..Someone please correct me if I’m wrong!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM

translation: “i’m going to make a claim for which I can’t even cite – present it as fact and ask for others to fact check me….until then it is absolute truth”

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

MayBee on May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Sorry I did not see youre post!..Did NOT mean to cover you up!..My Bad!..:)

PS..Excellent post by the way!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Well I guess no one wantsto be wrong!..:)

PS..By the way I don’t think I am!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM
=================
So cynical, you …. Conservative, you! :)

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

OldEnglish:Tee-hee,back at ya!

Hey,I had Online Streaming website that had the
timer thingy going,and as soon,as he went off the
air,there was mayhem,in front of the WH,and so,it
clearly looked staged!!

And,Conservatives were thrilled,but not like
the screaming and yelling.For a second,I thought
this was coming out of Madison,Wisconsin!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Staged, for sure.

BTW, I was having a snark at your Conservative win in the elections – well done!

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM
=======================

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Bradky:You have to stop watching the Democracy Now News Site
for their facts,er,take on their truth!!

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Good to see you!..:)

PS..Try this site ..theospark.net!.. I think you will like it!..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

“unless,someone can show me,by pure serendipity,that
there was visiting school class’s on field trips,
from out of state,that just so happened to be on a
late night Bus Tour,of Washington!!!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM”

I’m just amazed that the union goons organizing them actually handed out American flags…

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Sure don’t see Obama or Holder in the story…

In fact some other sailor made the claim they saw it happen

the following month they were acquitted… still no mention of Obama and Holder involvement

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Oh DS sorry to disappoint by using fox as the source links

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

G’day, Dire, thanks for the link. :)

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM
======================================

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Bradky:If FACTS are what you want,here ya go!!
=======================================================

SEALs Being Charged for Giving Terrorist a Fat Lip?
3:23 PM, Nov 24, 2009
************************
*************************

They could’ve executed him in the desert and left him in a shallow grave for all I care, but the SEALs are professionals, and so they brought the man behind the 2004 murder of four American contractors in Fallujah to the Green Zone, where one SEAL told investigators that he “had showered after the mission, gone to the kitchen and then decided to look in on the detainee.”

“I gave the detainee a glance over and then left,” the SEAL wrote. “I did not notice anything wrong with the detainee and he appeared in good health.”

Maybe there’s a whole lot more to this story than is currently being reported, but it’d have to be pretty terrible stuff to convince me that three Navy SEALs who successfully captured a high-value target now deserve to be court martialed for their service. A fat lip? That’s enough to get you rough military justice from the Obama administration, but blow up the World Trade Center and you get all the due process rights of the civilian criminal justice system. Sounds fair, right?
====================================
(More…………….)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM

They do owe America an apology.

JohnInCA on May 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

+7%…!

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM”
=================================

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Very good point,typical Union
Bus Driver…..late,and I wonder
what size Reamer Tool was used,for
holding up Hopey,for over an hour!:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM

It doesn’t mention the direct tie to Obama and holder that DS implies. That’s what I’m looking for.

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:47 PM

… still no mention of Obama and Holder involvement

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM

You are right…

… They don’t seem to have their hands on anything that goes bad, do they?

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Staged, for sure.

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

OldEnglish:Me thinks,they quickly seeded the area,haha,
and yes,WA-HOO,were Right again,its a beautiful
thing,I voted for Harper twice:)

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM

He knows. He can’t handle the truth!

BuckeyeSam on May 3, 2011 at 11:50 PM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM
=================================

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Bradky:I see…um…maybe you could look for it,buried in
the HealthCare Bill!(sarc).

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Oh DS sorry to disappoint by using fox as the source links

Bradky on May 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

LOL!..I know it broke your heart to use Fox!..:)

PS..Isn’t Obie the CinC?..:)

Dire Straits on May 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Here’s another video to add to the pile AP.

I thought poor Monica Crowley was going to start crying or something like that.

Knucklehead on May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I thought Crowley just sat back and watched Baxter and Colmes go at it. They both came across as buffoons, Colmes for not admitting what is obvious and Ted for (as usual) refusing to acknowledge something happened unless it happened on his show.

slickwillie2001 on May 3, 2011 at 11:52 PM

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Perhaps even the knowledge that the US was using water boarding loosened some lips who preferred not to experience it?

csdeven on May 3, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Btw,while were on a history search,um,the FBI,
have said that Oklahoma City Bombing was a Terr
orist attack,as in a Jihady one!

Yes,that was on Clintons watch!

And,Liberals will not want to go there!!

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:55 PM

You are right…

… They don’t seem to have their hands on anything that goes bad, do they?

Seven Percent Solution:Thats another sordid political
ClusterFark,awaiting to be exposed,
unfortuneately,Team Left,are in,a
deliberate,”Distractionary”,and on
going “Oh look Over There Mission”!

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I think waterboarding critics need a new stance. We oppose waterboarding with exception to those who support it.

Steve King should be waterboarded.

Spathi on May 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Some good pictures here: Obama Watched Bin Laden Die on Live Video as Shoot-Out Beamed to White House

There’s even a funny one of little Bammie from the back showing his head scar and unretouched ears.

slickwillie2001 on May 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Thank you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

canopfor on May 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM
========================
Thank you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Dire Straits:Anytime,Facts are garlic to Libs:)

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM

LOL!..Obie is the CinC and as such could have handled the Seal situation..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM

THIS…

… WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN! THIS WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN! THIS WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 11:20
PM

FIFY :)

redridinghood on May 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM

The WH is either clueless or they’re surrounded by a bunch of liars or incompetents, or both.

If Panetta doesn’t lie, then Holder does, or vice versa.

If Hillary doesn’t lie, then Musharaff does, or vice versa.

Can’t have the cake and eat it too.

Incompetents are in the WH and all around.

This ObL story will change many more times.

The ‘geniuses’ are stupid and Carney is perfect to represent them.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Mr. Burge is a national treasure – this is one big morsel, every word of it

American Pride is Back Out of the Closet!

As much as I am now embarrassed to admit it, if you had asked me 48 hours ago whether Osama Bin Laden would ever be brought to justice I would have probably answered “no.” Like many Americans I had all but abandoned hope that we would ever capture or kill the 9/11 mastermind, and had resigned myself to the idea he would die an old man thumbing his nose at us from some comfortable cave in Waziristan. Well, I can happily report that I completely underestimated the skill, courage, and perseverence of America’s military. And, almost as happily, I can report that I also completely underestimated the capacity of America’s erstwhile “peace community” for turning on a dime and embracing the kind of all-American xenophobic flag-waving bloodlust they only recently decried. So today I stand proudly with my new friends of the formerly antiwar left in a mindlessly jingoistic salute to President Obama for an extralegal military assassination well done.

Yes, it’s true that some pre-January 2009 antiwar activists have remained morally and logically consistent in their opposition to America’s military presence in the Mideast; but, thank God, it appears now they were only a tiny, insignificant minority. Recent events have happily made clear that the antiwar movement of 2001-8 was overwhelmingly dominated by a vast silent hypocritical majority of craven political opportunists awaiting a Democratic administration to gleefully celebrate the covert execution of a man whom, until 28 months ago, they would have described as a “tragic civilian casualty.”

Who is to credit for this rebirth in American national unity? First and foremost, we must cite the leadership of President Obama. Like many Americans – and the Nobel Peace Prize committee – I naively feared he was actually serious when he initially proposed shutting down Guantanamo, trying detainees in American civilian courts, and prior consultation with the international community. Little did I know that this untested young Commander-in-Chief would muster the courage to read his weekly Gallup numbers and, in one daring unilateral extra-judicial targeted hit job, toss aside every single idiotic foreign policy principle of his election campaign. Perhaps most satisfyingly, it was a mission made possible thanks to information extracted by methods he previously banned as “illegal torture.”

But this triumphant new era in situationally-unified American bloodlust does not belong to the President alone; we must also cite Congress’s born-again waterboarders like Nancy Pelosi and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, and their newfound enthusiasm for what (at least until 9pm Sunday) they would have once considered illegal military murder squads. Neither can we forget the watchdogs of America’s press, who have shown unprecedented ethical flexibility in shedding their long-held Gandhi moralism and embracing their inner Rambo.

Thanks to leaders like these, American pride is temporarily back out of the closet. And I for one take great personal satisfaction in knowing that when I’m high-fiving a random fellow American and robotically chanting “USA! USA!” at the news that Bin Laden is finally shark chum, there’s a pretty good chance that the guy was, only a few years ago, denying his love for unauthorized secret CIA-planned assassinations. Welcome to the pride parade everybody!

Of course, I’m not naive enough to think our current wave of national unity will last forever. At some point, possibly after the next election, American troops will once again assume their traditional role of psychotic baby-killing objects of fear and pity. And, doubtlessly, those of us who still admire them must once again assume our traditional role as America’s flag-humping racist chickenhawks. But when that day comes, we can look back at the week of May 1, 2011 and realize that it isn’t personal. Hey, that’s just the way the chad crumbles.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

“I was clear throughout this campaign and was clear throughout this transition that under my administration the United States does not torture,” Obama said, when asked at the news conference whether he would continue the Bush administration’s policy of harsh interrogation. “We will abide by the Geneva Conventions. We will uphold our highest ideals.”

3) All prisoners are entitled to humane and respectful treatment and must be protected from acts of violence, intimidation, insults, and public curiosity. Reprisals against them are forbidden.

4) The Convention required that when a serviceman is taken prisoner he shall supply his captors with his name, rank and date of birth and shall produce to them his identity card issued under the provisions of Article 17 of the Prisoner of War Convention (in the case of British forces this is the F/Ident/189). No other information is required to be given and the captors are forbidden to demand it or to threaten a prisoner who refuses to supply it.

gumble on May 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM
===============
LOL!..Obie is the CinC and as such could have handled the Seal situation..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Dire Straits:No..No..get with the program,its,

WARRIOR IN CHIEF,haha,and yes,a
President was more concerned with
offending Muslims,than the US Mili
tary,and as CinC,I believe,he could
of made it go away!!

But hey,at the Alter of Liberalsim/
Progressivism,

your main gall,is Vote Counting,er
Getting!!!!!!!!!!!:)

And,I`m sure,every move he makes,about
anything OBL,will be polled fueled and
focus grouped,upon,so to speak!:)

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Joan Rivers drops F-bomb on Bambi for campaign non-stop.

andy85719 on May 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Brilliant! :)

OldEnglish on May 4, 2011 at 12:40 AM

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Schadenfreude:Thanks for posting,Iowahawk strikes again,
another verbal masterpiece!:)

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Iowahawk is a satirical genius!

redridinghood on May 4, 2011 at 12:52 AM

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM
=============
Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Dire Straits:)
===============

Except,should be,your main goal,not

your main gall,ugh!

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM

I hear you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Nice post!..Thanks for sharing!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:55 AM

This website is going to hell in a basket. These little “tweaks” that occur during sign-in edc. are starting to make me a little itchy. Call me a conspiracy nut if you must, but something isn’t what it was once. Prove me wrong.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Here I am again on my own…

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Kataklysmic on May 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Shooting an unarmed someone: moral superiority of US President.

Left cant have it both ways. Waterboard or killing? I say both.

WoosterOh on May 4, 2011 at 1:14 AM

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM

hillbillyjim:I don’t want to stray off course,but,yesterday
I open my computer,and windows #9,has royally
Boinked up where my windows go,I used to have
the zoom thingy below my time thingy on the
right,its all F’d up done good!

I was really,PO’d yesterday,thats before I
even got to H/A!:)

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 1:14 AM

FIFY :)

redridinghood on May 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Thanks Red…

Seven Percent Solution on May 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Thanks to you all…

… You are the best!!!

Good Night!

Seven Percent Solution on May 4, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Oh Boy!
=======

05/03/2011
Justice, American Style

Was Bin Laden’s Killing Legal?
******************************

Is this what justice looks like? Al-Qaida boss Osama bin Laden was killed on Sunday in a secret military operation in Pakistan. Americans are celebrating, but there are serious doubts about whether the targeted killing was legal under international law and the laws of war.

US President Barack Obama gets precious few opportunities to announce a victory. So it’s no wonder he chose grand words on Sunday night as the TV crews’ spotlights shone upon him and he informed the nation about the deadly strike against Osama bin Laden. “Justice has been done,” he said.
———————————————————–

It may be that this sentence comes back to haunt him in the years to come. What is just about killing a feared terrorist in his home in the middle of Pakistan? For the families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks, and for patriotic Americans who saw their grand nation challenged by a band of criminals, the answer might be simple. But international law experts, who have been grappling with the question of the legal status of the US-led war on terror for years, find Obama’s pithy words on Sunday night more problematic.

It is unfortunate. And it is certainly no reason for the indescribable jubilation that broke out on Sunday night across America — and especially not for applause inside the CIA’s operations center.

But was Sunday a good day for justice?

For years, the very principle of international law has been to pursue justice rather than war. On Sunday, Obama said that bin Laden’s fate is a “testament to the greatness of our country.” If the United States had used the same power it deployed during the invasion of Iraq to force tyrants such as Saddam Hussein or Moammar Gadhafi — not to mention the mass murderer Osama bin Laden — into the dock of an international court, one might have believed him.
(More……….)

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Thanks to you all…

… You are the best!!!

Good Night!

Seven Percent Solution on May 4, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Seven Percent Solution:Back at ya 7%,and with that,
I too,am out,nite 7:)

canopfor on May 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I don’t think we will know the answer to to the “enhanced interrogation question” for a while… people are just spouting crap now…

ninjapirate on May 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Simply the best:

Thank you, Great Britain for this little treat.

More please.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Am I the only one here that has absolutely no problem with waterboarding or other “torture” techniques against our enemies?

karenhasfreedom on May 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Damn filter does not like me. fxxx.

Maybe THIS will work.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM

That was an amazing collection of the quotes… I have been catching snippets here and there and in particular was unclear about what Rumsfeld said. I’m glad to know.

And try as they might the Obama people simply can’t make it go away.

That must have killed Brian Williams. I’m frankly surprized he followed up.

Somehow the left thinks they won a big victory here… and I think they are wrong. It is America’s victory, inspite of our spineless leftists.

Obama couldn’t have pass up the chance to get Obama. If he had and someone leaked it and they would leak it, he would have zero chance at re-election. Obama had to do what he did.

I tried giving him credit but it just felt false. I don’t think he wanted to do it. I don’t even think it makes that much difference in the war effort.

But if it was known that he could have gotten bin Laden and didn’t…

That bounce is weak and uneven because like me, people sense that something about this whole thing feels off. And that is because Obama’s hands were tied. That is what is false.

petunia on May 4, 2011 at 1:33 AM