Video: Reactions to Osama’s Death

posted at 8:40 am on May 2, 2011 by John Sexton

People celebrated news of Osama bin Laden’s death throughout America last night. In the streets of Washington DC:

In front of the White House:

In Times Square New York:

At ground zero:

They’re singing and chanting at the US Naval Academy where people are justifiably proud that Navy Seals did the job:

In Ames, Iowa and Boston Commons and at least half a dozen more locations all over the country people are chanting USA! USA!

I’m struck by the youth of those chanting. Most of the folks out in the streets are students, people who would have been no older than 10-11 when the towers fell. I don’t know why that surprises me but it does. The post 9/11 world simply was the world for most of these kids. Maybe that’s why this is such a big deal to them. Whatever the case you can’t help but be swept up by their enthusiasm.

I’ll close with this one. John Cena announces OBL’s death at a WWF event:

USA! USA! USA!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Glad they killed him so we don’t have to see him tried and even go free.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM

This country needed some good news.

bopbottle on May 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM

In the words of John Cena: “I feel Damn proud to be an AMERICAN!

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Now, destroy the body and throw it into an ocean.

No shrine for the martyr!

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I had been led to believe these young people thought it was all an inside job.

Disturb the Universe on May 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

In the words of John Cena: “I feel Damn proud to be an AMERICAN!“

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Now that Superman no longer isn’t…

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM

No Trial……no Al Sharpton protesting outside of the courtroom…..no marches……no ACLU protesting Bin Laden Trial……and it happens 18 months BEFORE a Presidential election.

It’s all good.

PappyD61 on May 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Be careful,obama will put the cabash on that,oh wait,he and moochele are proud now that he’s campaigning.

ohiobabe on May 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Oh man, won’t this excessive celebrating just make the world hate us, and cause more balloon-sellers and orphanage workers to become terrorists?

Bishop on May 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Glad he was killed before he could be brought back to the US. More than likely there’d have been some plea bargain that resulted in him becoming beard czar. :-)

SoRight on May 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Have they offered any physical evidence that it was him. I don’t know if I’d quickly get rid of him at sea.

18 months BEFORE a Presidential election. — exactly, the best timing of all.

IR-MN on May 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Bishop on May 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I don’t know if I would want to ride in a NYC cab, either!

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

A great victory for Gitmo, and all that has served the U.S. in Gitmo.

right2bright on May 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

No trial for the scum is perfect. The wars drag on, but ask most anyone what we should have done regarding Osama bin Laden, and the ten year search and final destroy is justice.

USA proving it has the will and methods to hunt, battle and destroy its enemies, even those terrorist cowards who hide among civilians.

shades_of_gasden on May 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Perhaps Obama now understands that Americans like winning – WE DON’T DO DECLINE!

disa on May 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

A guy in my fraternity many years ago went through our school in the Naval ROTC and went on to be a Navy SEAL for more than 20 years. He was nuts (in a militarily positive sense), and he’s exactly the kind of guy we need watching our backs.

The left disparages our military constantly. But our military is one of the few areas in which taxpayers generally get more than their money’s worth.

BuckeyeSam on May 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I’m waiting any minute for the “Death To America” rallies that will obviously be on display in Iran today.

pilamaye on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Did anyone else see Todd Beamer’s father on Fox this morning? He unashamedly said that he believes in Hell and that he knows that’s where Bin Laden now resides. And he sounded anxious for KSM and the other deserving Gitmo detainees to join him there.

One of my first thoughts was that Bin Laden now knows for sure there is a God. He also knows His name isn’t Allah.

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

18 months BEFORE a Presidential election. — exactly, the best timing of all.

IR-MN on May 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM

The worst timing, one or two months before is the best timing. In 6 months all will have been diluted, and it will be just a campaign statement, a slogan, that will just please his base.

right2bright on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I’m glad the video from Berkeley wasn’t posted; nothing but people wailing, crying, wearing black, lighting soy candles in memory of their idol.

Bishop on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Just Say’n

roflmao

donabernathy on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

So much for moderates , Hamas not happy..

Allah Akbar.

Take them out too.

the_nile on May 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I saw it!..God Bless David Beamer!..:)

Dire Straits on May 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

It is strange that the young people came out to celebrate this event. At first I thought they were astroturf for the cameras in front of the WH. Wonder how they feel about water boarding now.

Kissmygrits on May 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM
////
Yeah and where’s his virgins?

ohiobabe on May 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Curious that young people were the main celebrants.They would scarcely remember or care about 911.

sandee on May 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

***

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Osama’s first thoughts in the afterlife: “Uh, oh. Allah was wrong.”

BuckeyeSam on May 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

My 17-year-old son was beside himself last night. Came downstairs grinning this morning. He was very traumatized by 9/11. One of his best friend’s uncle was killed in the Pentagon, and it ruined his birthday on September 16. He would not talk about it for years.

So yeah, I think this is a really big deal to young people.

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM

My heart hurts. Death and destruction lay before us, and all Americans can do is celebrate over the killing of a man. ODL was just a man. Many of our brothers and sisters have died in the alleged hunt for this man. Now he’s dead, and we celebrate and chant in the streets?

Vengeance is the Lord’s, but our place isn’t to celebrate death, ever. We shouldn’t wish our enemies into hell.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

disa on May 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

+1000

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

While a time for celebration, this does not change all that much on the ground. It is akin to the killing of Tojo during WWII; a top strategist is dead, but the war continues.

Vashta.Nerada on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

We’re not celebrating death, we’re celebrating JUSTICE.

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

So yeah, I think this is a really big deal to young people.

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM

There’s nothing like a taste of American victory to inspire our young people. They’ve been hearing Dem loser talking points for far too long.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Should we be publicly celebrating this way? Is it noe unseemly, crude and barbaric?

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Put a sock in it and go post on DU.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Morgantown WV.

(some language at end of clip)

forest on May 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

We aren’t effete liberals, we are humans! I’ll tell you to do as j_galt – go cry with the liberals on DU.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

It appears that we are celebrating OBL’s death. Do we know it was actually him? We’re going to look pretty stupid if a video pops.

Better to take quiet comfort that justice was served. imho, if indeed it was.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Has anyone made this joke yet?

“U.S. Was Determined to Strike Inside Bin Ladin”

KingGold on May 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

This man was evil personified. While I don’t celebrate “death” – the destruction of pure evil is a reason to celebrate.

gophergirl on May 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Better to take quiet comfort that justice was served. imho, if indeed it was.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I’ll take jubilance over quiet comfort any day. What is wrong with you?

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

We’re not celebrating death, we’re celebrating JUSTICE.

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Yeah Ok. That’s why families of mudered mothers, father and children celebrate after the murderer gets the death sentence. Justice has been done and everybody feels good about it. Whatever. Ya’ll are sheep. Unable to see the theater for what it is. Happy to celebrate death and destruction. Now, I’m sure people won’t be quite as eager to bring our military home and out of harm’s way since we have this great victory to celebrate. It’s pathetic.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I kept thinking this last night as I saw the video from the White House. I guess Bin Laden was their mythical Boogie Man.

Jaibones on May 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Better to take quiet comfort that justice was served. imho, if indeed it was.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

So because we’re human, it’s okay for us to be unseemly, crude and barbaric? Sorry, but we should be better than those Palestinians who danced in the streets on 9/12.

I’m extremely proud of our military for bringing this man to justice. And I’m glad Bin Laden won’t be able to hatch any more evil plans. But I’m not celebrating. I’m praying for our troops, who are in more danger today than they were yesterday.

Dee2008 on May 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

The pres just earned his peace prize. I hope he continues.

tomas on May 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

We shouldn’t wish our enemies into hell.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Gotta disagree with you on that.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM

We’re not celebrating death, we’re celebrating JUSTICE.

rockmom on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Bingo.

JetBoy on May 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Dee2008 on May 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Exactly. Stop the childish parties and bring our troops home. I’ll celebrate when our brothers and sisters are home.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Gotta disagree with you on that.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I expect that many people won’t agree.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Yuck. RCP already shows Bambi’s poll numbers rising. Question if you had to choose between killing Bin Laden and defeating O in the next election, what would you choose?

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Dee2008 on May 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Of course we’re better than the Palestinians who celebrated the terror attack which killed 3000 people. This was justice.

You really need to learn critical thinking.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Wow, I’m ashamed to say defeating Obama. OBL was in hiding for 10 years almost. He wasn’t anything other than a figurehead. Zawahiri is the main terrorist, and he’s still out there. The thought of Obama in a second term is truly frightening.

sandee on May 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

You’re right. What this party needs is some Kool and the Gang.

The Mega Independent on May 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It’s pathetic.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Oh, yeah?

Well, you’re ugly.

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Let Obama have his day. It’s not like he contributed much, other than allowing our troops to go in. Which is kind of surprising, since he hates American victory. I wonder if he expected this outcome.

As I said before, he might begin to understand that real Americans (not those traitors he likes to pal around with) like American victory.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Flag-waving supporters of former President George W. Bush have left flowers and patriotic balloons outside his Dallas home after the U.S. strike that killed Osama bin Laden.

Bush, who was home Sunday night, released a statement saying he congratulated President Barack Obama after hearing of bin Laden’s death and praised U.S. military personnel.

About a dozen backers of Bush, who was in power during the September 2001 terrorist attacks, gathered outside the gate leading to his residence until early Monday as thunderstorms reached the area.

Some displayed U.S. flags. A sign said: “Thank you President Bush.”

Drudge

Wethal on May 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM

George H.W. Bush had a 90% approval rating after we won the Gulf War. When the economy was in the crapper, he lost.

Of course his poll numbers are going to go up. He deserves some praise for having the cojones to actually go through with the operation. And unlike Jimmy Carter, he didn’t authorize a slapdash operation that failed and brought us back to square one.

Obama is not invincible. It’ll just be a bit tougher to assail him on the terrorism front.

KingGold on May 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

We NEED a Humpbot.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I’ll take jubilance over quiet comfort any day. What is wrong with you?

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Nothing is wrong with me. I am ex military.

Dee2008 on May 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Well said, Dee.

We ARE better than this.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM

You really need to learn critical thinking.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Take comfort in your celebration as these wars wage on and more and more American’s die for worthless politicians.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Watch over the next several days for the liberals, who would be screaming if we had captured UBL and waterboarded him, to be high-fiving each other for putting a bullet in his head. Waterboarding bad, bullet between the eyes, good!

PatMac on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

We ARE better than this.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Go cry into your oatmeal while the rest of us celebrate.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

We NEED a Humpbot.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I agree!..We have been trying since last night!..:)

Dire Straits on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Osama’s first thoughts in the afterlife: “Uh, oh. Allah was wrong.”
BuckeyeSam on May 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

His next thought: “Crap, I have to share a room with Hitler and Pol Pot?”

Bishop on May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Why are you such a jackass?

And there is no apostrophe in plural Americans.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Yuck. RCP already shows Bambi’s poll numbers rising.

So what?

This isn’t about left vs right politics…this day is about bin-Laden having been killed. Obama deserves credit for keeping that mission active and holding true to his statements that capturing/killing bin-Laden was a top priority. I’m not one to shower praise on The One…but I cannot fault him one bit on this.

The souls of 3,000 innocent lives got some sort of justice, as have all Americans.

JetBoy on May 2, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Don’t forget to high five and congratulate each other as we are groped and radiated when we board a plane today.

roflmao

donabernathy on May 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Happy to celebrate death and destruction.

Seriously? ROFL

Bishop on May 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Why are you such a jackass?

And there is no apostrophe in plural Americans.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Because I’m not a sheep?

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

disa on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Who’s crying? Are you saying the American people aren’t better than this? You won’t be celebrating when the public party comes back to bite us.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

There was no shame for some people to be cheerful and proud of the heartbreaking 9/11. For the USA to do what they said they would do with 10 years of waiting and warning is a very long measure of our justice. Our expression of relief and joy is for all the men and women who sacrificed their life all these years to prevent more destruction of innocent life. Let us hope the military have respite and enjoy a peaceful time home. We should all give them our blessings and love.

Monas on May 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

New comedy: Three is Company, starring OBL, Hitler, and Mao. Also starring Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam. Music by Michael Jackson and the Pedis.

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Justice.Finally.
Osama Bin Evil
Osama Bin Dead
Osama Bin Gone,
since yesterday!!!

3dpuzzman on May 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

The best I saw was the spontaneous U-S-A! chant in the 9th inning of the Mets-Phillies game. No announcement, just word spreading through the crowd. Chills.

sobincorporated on May 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Surprise! No virgins for you!

justltl on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Had Todd Beamer’s father taken the law into his own hands and mudered Bin Laden, that would have been vengeance. This was justice. Bin Laden was a just casualty in the war he helped initiate. While the end result may be the same, vengeance and justice are wildly different things.

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Soldiers don’t fight for politicians. You should ask one “Why we fight.”

Politicians often interfere with the work, however.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

It is left right politics. Because of this we might have to suffer six more years of bambi and his socialist policies.

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Some of you people really blow my mind.

If you want to be Captain Buzzkills, fine.

Let the rest of us enjoy the death of this monster.

And for someone with the moniker of j_galt, you really have no understanding of what it really means, do you?

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Many on the left see these as synonymous.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Two words on the youth of the ralliers:

1) This was a suddenly announced event. A lot easier for youth to put aside what they’re doing, and to celebrate, than it is for people in their 40s and 50s with kids and jobs.
2) This was well into the night. I bet almost every middle-of-the-night celebration skews very young.

Chuckles3 on May 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM

My only concern about the celebrating is that many will think that the job is done. It is not – It will never be as long as Islam exists.

OldEnglish on May 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Because I’m not a sheep?

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

You are not a sheep. A part of a horse comes to mind.

derft on May 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Soldiers don’t fight for politicians. You should ask one “Why we fight.”

Politicians often interfere with the work, however.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I have. But, I’ll ask you as well. Why did you fight?

I have a lot of respect for soldiers. I respect soldiers because they do what must be done. They carry the burden of killing other people to protect their families, to protect their homes.

I don’t think many men and women who serve in the military really know what they are getting into until they have to take a human life. That is a heavy burden to carry, and I’ve seen what it does to men.

Their is no glory or honor in killing a man. But, there is honor in doing what you must for your family. Greater love has no man than this, that he lay his life down for his friends. There lies honor.

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Of course, what the he$$ do I know, or anyone else for that matter, who hasn’t served in the military and killed people?

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Dont forget the college campus celebrations. My son said it was his first riot at Penn State. Likewise at Radford U in VA.
Thousands came out singing and waving the flag. There is hope for our youth!

faol on May 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Many on the left see these as synonymous.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM

But that doesn’t make it so. These are people who also believe that the recession was caused by lowering taxes and that Atlanta will eventually be a coastal city due to cars and cow farts. We can’t help what their warped minds believe. We deal in reality.

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

OK, just now catching up…was sick last night and went to bed early.

But, belated congratulations to the US military, CIA, the President (present and previous), those who lost loved ones at 911 and all freedom-loving people. It’s a great day to be an American!!!

Bee on May 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM

As Ace says:

I guess maybe there is some point in interrogating terrorists? Maybe there’s some value in their answers? Maybe they don’t “always just tell you what you want to hear”?

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Careful study will show that the guy who provided the original information all those years ago did so because an interrogator said “please” and offered him a halal cupcake.

Of this I have no doubt.

Bishop on May 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM

April deadliest month for US in Iraq since ’09

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM

May the rotten bastard burn in eternal hell.

rplat on May 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I’ll celebrate when you stop the whiny posts….

joejm65 on May 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM

sandee on May 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

thoguht the same thing, they were just wee babes in grade school….

cmsinaz on May 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I was watching Geraldo interview the kids outside of the White House. There were a few “This is great for our President!” and several people holding Obama/Biden signs. If they were kids just hanging out at bars or whatever, would they be walking around with Obama/Biden signs?

I was feeling it until that moment. That’s when I started wondering if these people even cared about our country or if they were just celebrating because they think this is going to get their guy re-elected.

CookeyD on May 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Vashta.Nerada on May 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I think you mean Admiral Yamamoto. Prime Minister Hideki Tojo wasn’t killed until after the end of the war. Tojo was hanged on 23 December 1948.

Yamamoto was killed in april of 1943 when his plane was shot down.

Your overall point is still true. Yamamoto was a top strategist. And the war did continue after his death. I would quible that Yamamoto wasn’t evil like Bin Laden or even like Tojo.

Great day for America. Too bad that we will never be able to learn the names of the shooters on the Seal teams that did the deed. (For their safety and the safety of their families). I’m sure those men would never have to buy another drink for themselves again.

Just to be sure, i would suggest buying a drink for every member of the military you see in a bar. Never know if you might be buying a drink for the shooter that performed Bin Laden’s messy cataract surgery.

New_Jersey_Buckeye on May 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Don’t Muslims believe that if they are not buried within 24 hours then their path to heaven is impeded or something along those lines? By burying him so quick we are telling the terrorists we will send them to heaven. We should have waited til 24 hours and 1 minute.

We should have also thrown chum out first to stir up the sharks, then throw his body out there without cremation. Just sayin’….

jeffn21 on May 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM