Video: Reactions to Osama’s Death

posted at 8:40 am on May 2, 2011 by John Sexton

People celebrated news of Osama bin Laden’s death throughout America last night. In the streets of Washington DC:

In front of the White House:

In Times Square New York:

At ground zero:

They’re singing and chanting at the US Naval Academy where people are justifiably proud that Navy Seals did the job:

In Ames, Iowa and Boston Commons and at least half a dozen more locations all over the country people are chanting USA! USA!

I’m struck by the youth of those chanting. Most of the folks out in the streets are students, people who would have been no older than 10-11 when the towers fell. I don’t know why that surprises me but it does. The post 9/11 world simply was the world for most of these kids. Maybe that’s why this is such a big deal to them. Whatever the case you can’t help but be swept up by their enthusiasm.

I’ll close with this one. John Cena announces OBL’s death at a WWF event:

USA! USA! USA!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mark Steyn weighs in on Obama’s announcement last night:

BuckeyeSam on May 2, 2011 at 9:59 AM

GITMO Gets Osama Bin Laden

Nearly Nobody on May 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Headline: Waterboarding Works!

faraway on May 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Of course, what the he$$ do I know, or anyone else for that matter, who hasn’t served in the military and killed people?

j_galt on May 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I grew up in a military family. A couple of my relatives are up to their necks in it in Afghanistan as we post about this.

We swear an oath to defend our country, but for me and I only speak for myself, I had an opportunity to try to provide another people the freedoms and living conditions we all take for granted.

My parents, my father specifically, didn’t “send” me or my brother. We decided on our own to volunteer.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I was 14 when the towers fell. Watched it at school. It was my second week at a new high school where I hadn’t known anyone. The post-9/11 world certainly was my world. My dad even went to Iraq when I was 16. I really wish I was in D.C. so I could join the celebrating!

bigmike87 on May 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Osama’s Burial Location

faraway on May 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Does anyone have an actual link to the photo used for the front of this story? Those girls look quite attractive :-)

SillyRyno on May 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM

But that doesn’t make it so.

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I agree completely!

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM

faraway on May 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Coffee spit moment.

Dino64 on May 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

hummmmmm…. when Team Bush took out al-Qaeda leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi the MSM wasn’t all that happy….. now with Team Barry….welllll…..

roflmao

donabernathy on May 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Don’t worry everyone. Obama will milk this for the election. I’m sure many of you will be voting for him now that you have purchased your knee pads.

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I guess it’s a good thing to capture and detain enemies instead of killing them on the spot…

Electrongod on May 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Seem appropriate to post this in tribute.
If you are drinking coffee, swallow before hitting the link. I’m not paying for any ruined monitors.

miConsevative on May 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

And for someone with the moniker of j_galt, you really have no understanding of what it really means, do you?

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

^ surprises me, too. Bad Moniker award of the year. My handle is good and true.

And OBL, rest in hell!

Who is John Galt on May 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

andy85719 on May 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Stop being ridiculous. Obama is a self-serving narcissist, undoubtedly, and his destructive record will speak for itself. Yet, some things are worth celebrating regardless of who is in office. Were it Bush, we’d be calling on the left to rally behind him. And, if I’m not mistaken, after 9/11…they did, if merely for a nanosecond. :)

Bee on May 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

donabernathy on May 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

just read that at newsbusters myself…

cmsinaz on May 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I was 18 on 9/11. I went Army infantry immediately after.In July I ETSed and enrolled in college in Tennessee. Last night, I was in the library studying for finals when my phone erupted from family and a ton of my friends from the Army. I started telling all the students in the library what happened. Unfortunately, the reaction was the opposite of what we see above. Most ignored me. A few thought I was just a weirdo who was bothering them during their study time. One even asked me, get this, what bin Laden actually did. I played Obama’s speech on my laptop speakers to the annoyance of those around me. I didn’t care. I talked as loud as I could while on the phone with my friends, because I was just so happy.

mfrantom on May 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

bigmike87 on May 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Good comment, Big. I’m glad to hear this from our Nation’s Future. It’s too easy to stereotype our Next Greatest Generation as “not great”.

Thank you for the refreshing perspective (disclosure: I’m 51).

Who is John Galt on May 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

They said they buried his body at sea.

Hopefully, they kept his HEAD and will put it on a pike on Ground Zero.

Mazztek on May 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

WaPo will send Bob Woodward in to interview Osama. Should make tomorrow edition.

slickwillie2001 on May 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Just watched the John Cena one.

Chills, then tears.

nickj116 on May 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Those of you who believe that the death of OBL ensures Obama’s re-election, do not fear. This is much scarier and will ensure the Democrats’ defeat. The Republicans will inherit this wreck:

It takes awhile to finish, but worth your time.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Who’s crying? Are you saying the American people aren’t better than this? You won’t be celebrating when the public party comes back to bite us.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

You were a soldier? Hard to believe.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Mark Steyn weighs in on Obama’s announcement last night:

BuckeyeSam on May 2, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Thanks for the link. I couldn’t agree more. Last night I did not see a president; I saw a man playing president. He made that ridiculously long slow walk to and from the podium, rather like Omar Sharif on a camel ride through the desert.

Americans know that men like Earl and Bob Lee Swagger (Stephen Hunter reference) did the heavy lifting, not men in Armani suits. They also know what it’s like to have some jacka$$ glom on and take undue credit. Last night’s speech was so overwrought that it did nothing but diminish Obama.

They should have just turned on the cameras with Obama already at the podium. He should have made the simple annoucement that OBL was dead, heartily praised the men on the ground, and reminded the nation of all those who have sacrificed life and limb since 9-11. Then the cameras should have clicked off. Had he done it that way he would have looked much better. Instead he basked in glory that wasn’t his and looked not like a strong leader, but a filthy politician. He never misses an opportunity to look small.

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I don’t watch Obama vids. Reading his words is bad enough.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM

It takes awhile to finish, but worth your time.

disa on May 2, 2011 at 10:42 AMM

^this. also at “endofamerica13.com”, as widely advertised on talk and satellite radio.

Maybe Ron Paul is right, audit the Fed?

Who is John Galt on May 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Maybe Ron Paul is right, audit the Fed?

Who is John Galt on May 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Or does that just take the clothes off the Emperor, and force the crisis NOW?

Who is John Galt on May 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM

DUDE!!

Trump should have been on stage with Cena for the announcement!

abobo on May 2, 2011 at 11:18 AM

flyfisher on May 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I agree with you. Good comment. That walk to and from the podium was overly dramatic, just like Sharif’s camel ride in David Lean’s film.

Stayright on May 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I hope it plays on every tv in every muslim country…

Big John on May 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I hope it plays on every tv in every muslim country…

Big John on May 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM

The videos of Americans celebrating, that is. Not Obama.

Big John on May 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM

0bozo is still a clown. i would have loved to see a thorough autopsy of the body. the guy was probably on his death bead anyway. 0bozo, killing helpless sick people!!! just like killing the somalian pirates! that murderer!!

/sarc

moonbatkiller on May 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I was watching Geraldo interview the kids outside of the White House. There were a few “This is great for our President!” and several people holding Obama/Biden signs. If they were kids just hanging out at bars or whatever, would they be walking around with Obama/Biden signs?

I was feeling it until that moment. That’s when I started wondering if these people even cared about our country or if they were just celebrating because they think this is going to get their guy re-elected.

CookeyD on May 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I had the same thought. In fact, being the cynic that I am, when I saw all those kids outside the White House, the first thing that came to mind was that it was orchestrated. And in this age of Twitter and Facebook, it doesn’t take long to start a buzz among this age group. When I saw people waving Obama-Biden signs, that kind of sealed it for me. And FTR, I am an EEO cynic: I suspected we might hear he was dead in October 2004 and then again in October 2008, too. For career politicians, this is too great a notch in one’s belt not to exploit. Of course, I do think the Community Organizer in Chief would be more shameless about exploiting it, but the end result is the same. He will use it to his advantage in the re-election campaign, and he should. If there’s anything at all about his tenure I have little to quibble about it’s how he’s handled things in Afghanistan. I give him credit where it’s due; he could have pulled up stakes and brought our troops home without finishing the job. But he’s barely deviated from the Bush Administration’s mission there. Now we have to pray he recognizes that we’re not finished yet, and won’t be for a very long time. Nevertheless, this is a great day and I hope that the families of those who lost loved ones on 9/11 and in the ensuing wars find some measure of comfort in the justice that was served yesterday. And many thanks and congratulations to our SEALs for their fine work.

NoLeftTurn on May 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Congrats to the US forces for a mission excellently accomplished. The speech by Obama was hooey. He is such an ungracious toad, that even in victory he belittles himself.

Reports are that Obama is planning to bury Osama at sea. That’s sure to incite conspiracy theorists who will believe that with no body there was no death of Osama, and that Obama is just using the pretextual death to raise his sagging popularity numbers.
BTW, I thought that US policies and laws are that you can’t target individuals for termination with extreme prejudice? At least that has been the Administration’s position on Libya for the past two months. So how could Obama endorse this operation? Wouldn’t that make Obama a war criminal? At least according to the rules of Obama’s liberal democrat colleagues?

eaglewingz08 on May 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I’m so glad that he’s gone, but I hate that we have people dancing in the streets about it. We are not a nation of people who dance over death, be they good or bad guys dying. This should be a solemn moment to appreciate the end of a bad guy and a symbol of evil, reflect on what we’ve been through and move on to other business.

CLaFarge on May 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

No photos of that dialysis machine?

slickwillie2001 on May 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I look forward to watching the vids when I get home from work.

Bob's Kid on May 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM

We shouldn’t wish our enemies into hell.

He made the choice, don’t blame us for the consequences.

Bob's Kid on May 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM

CookeyD on May 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Recall George H W Bush’s mnumbers in 1991.

Vashta.Nerada on May 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

All very nice, but you have to wonder how many of those happy folk, especially in the deep blue states, were against all it took to get this guy.

They can celebrate but they know, in their hearts, they were wrong.

RedNewEnglander on May 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I seriously doubt that any of these celebrators will rush out and join the Army.

By the way, Yamamoto, who was actually a nice guy…just fell in with bad company, was killed in 1943 but the war went on and on.

But be that as it may I am glad he is dead. I shudder to think what might have happened if he were captured alive.

enginemike on May 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM