Obama to visit Ground Zero on Thursday

posted at 8:33 pm on May 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

Sort of an official visit, and sort of not. It’s fitting that the president mark Bin Laden’s demise by paying his respects on the public’s behalf. And if that respect-paying just so happens to produce a 24-karat photo op for his upcoming campaign, well, that’s his reward for icing the man Americans hate most. Just look at this headline. After reading that, I’m almost ready to agree to a tax hike.

Almost.

President Obama will travel to New York City on Thursday to mark the death of Osama bin Laden by visiting the site of the World Trade Center and meeting with families of victims from the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The president is scheduled to deliver a speech, tour the site and meet privately with family members, an administration official said. The site in lower Manhattan filled with crowds when Mr. Obama announced late Sunday evening that Bin Laden had been killed. The crowds continued throughout the day on Monday.

Bush would have done the same thing and, yes, unquestionably, the left would have screeched about “politicization,” but I would have taken his side then so I’ll take The One’s side now. So much goodwill has he earned in the last 24 hours, in fact, that not only are Republican leaders congratulating him but even — gasp — Donald Trump is patting him on the back. It’ll all wither away in a few weeks when left and right start throwing roundhouses at each other over the debt ceiling (or will it?), so enjoy the kill-Osama comity while you can.

If it’s politicization you want, and if you didn’t already get a strong enough dose from Karl’s post earlier, here’s a video double dip to tide you over. First, via Radio Vice Online, Rep. Gary Ackerman makes a jerk of himself by taunting Bush with a “mission accomplished” reference. And below that, via News Busters, Joy Behar’s already fantasizing about canceling the election and declaring The One president until 2016.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

redridinghood on May 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM

excellent

cmsinaz on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Obama should invite Bush to stand beside him at Ground Zero.

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I’m ordering this tee shirt.

redridinghood on May 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Awesome! I was just chatting with my friend and said, “He’ll beat this into the ground during the campaign,” to which she replied, “The liberals are stupid to crow about this. All the GOP candidate will have to say is, ‘Waterboarding!’ and it will be nothing but crickets.”

NoLeftTurn on May 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM

If the man had any class he’d invite Bush to go with him.

Socratease on May 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM

After that disaster with Billy Clinton in the White House, little Bammie’s handlers will not allow any other president anywhere near him.

slickwillie2001 on May 2, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Obama: “Chavy Volts for everyone involved”

Daveyardbird on May 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Seals would walk before driving a Volt.

katy the mean old lady on May 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Video of Bin Laden’s ‘Burial at Sea’ to be Released…
Drudge
==========

You have got to be serious………….and crr6(How’s that?)
IS CONSUMED WITH THE poll numbers,LIKE ANY OTHER lIBERAL
THAT IS STILL IN ORGASMICGORICAL NIRVANA OVERDRIVE ON Hopeys
so-called OBL is dead snuff-film a’cometh!!

Let me guess,(I;m seriously kidding),

But,Navy Seals,take out OBL,then he’s flown to Afghanistan,
and for some strange and bizarre reason,someone in the WH,
gets ansy,about,What Country will take the Body or Remains,

then,OBL is loaded up,on a slow boat to China,er the US of A,

and let me guess,the Navy Seals prop up,OBL,you know,as the
MSM loves to come up with incompetent Military,and they pla
n to take turns,getting pictures,and the body,accidently tu
mbles over the side,DEEPED SIX!!

I highly doubt thats what happened,actually,knowing the in
tegrity of US Military,it didn’t happen that way,

so,what the F#$%^&*()__)(*&^%$#%^&*()_(*&^%$#%^&*()
is really going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m sorry,it REEKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on May 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM

My husband says this whole thing seems to strange to him. I have to admit, everything that has anything to do with Obama seems odd to me somehow. It is all a show. His numbers have started to slide since his bounce after the shooting in Arizona of the Congresswoman…he needs another pick me up.

Don’t get me wrong, I am glad Osama is gone, but it seems to me that Obama could be a tad more gracious about the whole thing.

Terrye on May 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

If the man had any class he’d invite Bush to go with him.

Socratease on May 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM

That’s true.

JellyToast on May 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

So,”MISSION ACCOMPLISHED,By Bush,

was to the day,of OBL’s demise….!

Intertesting tidbit!

canopfor on May 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Terrye on May 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I am certain that as he was giving his speech last night, he was thinking about how this can help him win reelection. Hence he gave no credit to Bush and his policies that Obama used to nail the SOB. Then boom, the next day every lefty blog and the left wing MSM start pimping “Obama’s got 2012 in the bag!” narrative. It’s like they all new and had a script in hand ready and waiting.

jawkneemusic on May 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM

cmsinaz on May 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM

NoLeftTurn on May 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Libs tend to have selective memories, so why not remind them of their own hypocrisy.

I may even send one to Joy Behar.

redridinghood on May 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Terrye on May 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

And you’re right. But its Obama. He doesn’t know the meaning of the word.

He’ll overplay this like he has everything else.

He’ll get his (deserved) bump in the polls. Within a couple of months, he’ll be back to his old self.

His and the Left’s only card will be the bin Laden card.

I read a couple of articles and posts today comparing this to Bush senior after the gulf war. Bush was riding high. But the economy tanked, he raised taxes and the rest is history.

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:59 PM

So what’s Barry’s next move in Libya. Or is he still ‘leading from behind’.

GarandFan on May 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Obama: Noun verb 9/11.

MayBee on May 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Wow, AP, you couldn’t be more wrong on this point.

Thursday is the National Day of Prayer, which BHO has refused to celebrate since becoming dictator. This Thursday, however, he’s going to celebrate by going to Ground Zero to ‘mark’ UBL’s death. What an a$$hole. Last night I pointed out that he finally said “under God” in his speech. BHO is the worst kind of charlatan, but for whatever reason, people like him. I hope he burns with UBL. I really do.

madmonkphotog on May 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

catmman on May 2, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I had the same thought. But this evening I was watching Special Report and Stephen Hayes said he thought it would be different for Obama because he was playing against type..we shall see.

I think that people just sort of forget things very soon anymore. Weddings, bad economy, high gas prices, etc….

Terrye on May 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Seeing that Joy dude all giddy over Obowma makes me want to puke…

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM

madmonkphotog on May 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

It is just eating you alive that he is getting credit for being in charge when this happened. If you are going to blame him for things that happen on his watch a reasonable person will have enough objectivity to credit him for the good things.

Your sentiments about him burning in hell are so far over the top it is truly sad.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Just don’t hand him a flower.

The Mega Independent on May 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

petunia on May 2, 2011 at 8:48 PM

It’s an online poll so I wouldn’t put too much trust in it.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM

madmonkphotog on May 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

try reading the link above and then tell me how Reagan was evil for only having one event in 8 years. Hypocrisy looks so small in the light of day.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Hey Ed how is the flag conspiracy research going?

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Hey Brad,

I’m still waiting to know how 10,000 college kids have the exact same brand new flag available 10 minutes after Obama’s speech on a Sunday night. And also how so many of them also just happened to coincidentally have Obama/Biden signs with them as well and also just happened to spontaneously start chanting 4 More Years.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Ed, Don’t ask Bradky for the truth. It’s like asking a vampire for garlic.

kingsjester on May 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

You’ve seen the clips from all over the country where at games or events people broke out in cheers of USA or singing the national anthem. Was this coordinated all in advance by Alinsky or Ayers??
Sheez!

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Brad swears he’s a conservative, snicker, but he loves everything Obama does and hates everything conservatives do. Odd dontcha think?

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I love objectivity and critical thinking — something I find lacking with you and blogboy.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Boy? Troll, if you want to engage in a battle of wits with me, you had better rent a brain and pack a lunch.

kingsjester on May 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Careful there if you’re smoking, you’ll burn your straw man down.

Clips from “all over the country” and “games”? There was 1 game. Phillies-Mets and it was well after all the other parties had been under way.

The WH even was staged initially. It then took on a life of its own as did the party in Times Sq (where Ackerman (D-NY) was on hand to lead Obama chants and mock Bush).

If you think the same guy that handed out t-shirts in Tucson wouldn’t hand out flags signs for a photo op, then you’re a very naive person….or more likely you know full well what happened but are so in love with the O you fail to see what is obvious.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

LOL Brad. Objectivity would mean you’d criticize Obama every now and then, unless you’re saying he’s perfect. In which case your critical thinking is quite piss poor.

You are an O-bot pure and simple. At least your fellow travelers, crr6, Ernie, etc admit it. Why do you pretend? Come out of the closet man. Declare yourself a proud Obamabot and stop living a lie.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM

kingsjester on May 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Boy yes. battle of wits? With you it is more a matter of battling kj the nitwit.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

thank goodness you have something to replace your disproved birther conspiracy with.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Double LOL Brad. I am a birther now? Ha ha. Good one.

But instead of calling me names, tell me how 10K college kids all had the exact same brand new flag available to them 10 mins after the speech. I’m curious to know.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM

You are the crack journalist on the case. tell me.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Ed, Don’t ask Bradky for the truth. It’s like asking a vampire for garlic.

kingsjester on May 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Iced tea EVERYWHERE! LMAO!

HornetSting on May 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Answer Ed’s question, Bradky. Your little game has been found out. You’re nothing but a Liberal Troll masquerading as a fiscal Conservative. You’re fooling no one.

kingsjester on May 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I’ve told you. The WH gave the flags away. You disagree. Fine. Tell me how 10K college kids all got those flags within minutes. If it wasn’t the WH, where did they get them?

I proposed an idea. You refuted the idea. You prove to me I’m wrong.

Again…how did 10K college kids each get the exact same brand new flag within a few minutes of the speech ending?

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I often wonder if trolls like Brad lie so often do they start believing their own lies? Does Braddy actually think he’s a fiscal conservative (who wants 70% tax rates)? Does he actually believe he is a centrist (who sees Obama as doing no wrong, ever)?

It would be a fascinating study by psychologists on people like him.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM

No you proposed an idea to support your theory. I am not bothered by the idea of a bunch of college kids carrying the flag — heck I’m touched that they were carrying them.

The mark of a conspiracist is they challenge people to disprove their warped theory. You claim it you prove it.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM

MJBrutus is his twin separated at birth.

kingsjester on May 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Braddy if you truly believe that 10K college kids all happened to have the exact same brand new flag on hand in their dorm rooms you are fool or naive.

I leave you with this tweet:

But you go on believing the WH didn’t set the whole thing up if you must.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Well, at least we don’t have to wait for “Obama, The Movie.” We’re being forced already to sit through the screening.

Connie on May 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Will you please get off this kick? They were waving OUR flag. It was wonderful to see.

katy the mean old lady on May 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Obama is using 9/11 as cover for the disastrous conditions he has created for the country. The Bin Laden kill was dramatic but it was also rather inconsequential. As long as he can keep his lap dogs in the press focused on Bin Laden, the longer he can keep their simple minds off the economy. This guy is a terrible president but he is a polished con artist. the prime job during the next 1 1/2 years must be to keep the country focused on this sick Republic and off Obama’s contrived smoke screens.

rplat on May 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM

But you go on believing the WH didn’t set the whole thing up if you must.

angryed on May 2, 2011 at 10:51 PM

It only matters to you. America deserved the outbursts of patriotism seen around the country. Seeing young people cheering, singing the national anthem, and shouting USA has got to give normal people a good feeling of optimism for the future of our country.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Obama at Gr.Zero….

“America…I did you a favor… I killed Bin laden. Now…now you owe me a favor…we are going to out up the Ground zero Mosque in memorial to unity and diversity”

…and the Muslim brotherhood seen nodding in approval knowing Bin Laden was a martyr for the cause of spreading Sharia by any means necessary. Even the death of the great islamist warrior Osama…

katy on May 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

rplat on May 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM

If you replace Obama with Bush in your statement you summed up pretty much what the left said when he was president. that should bother you.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Why shouldn’t the right grouse in the same manner the left does? Sauce, goose, gander, etc.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Wipe your chin off, kid.

The Left never gave Bush “credit” for liberating 2 countries, and then later when he took out Zarqawi in Iraq you greeted it with a big “so what”?

F-

Del Dolemonte on May 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

“Snopes”, he says. Bwahahahaha

Del Dolemonte on May 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Wow, kid, you’re shoveling with 2 hands now. You really should have Soros just break down and buy you a manure spreader.

Immediately after 9/11, one of your widely-read fellow travelers on The Left had this to say in one of their leading media outlets:

My daughter, who goes to Stuyvesant High School only blocks from the World Trade Center, thinks we should fly an American flag out our window. Definitely not, I say: The flag stands for jingoism and vengeance and war. She tells me I’m wrong–the flag means standing together and honoring the dead and saying no to terrorism. In a way we’re both right: The Stars and Stripes is the only available symbol right now. In New York City, it decorates taxicabs driven by Indians and Pakistanis, the impromptu memorials of candles and flowers that have sprung up in front of every firehouse, the chi-chi art galleries and boutiques of SoHo. It has to bear a wide range of meanings, from simple, dignified sorrow to the violent anti-Arab and anti-Muslim bigotry that has already resulted in murder, vandalism and arson around the country and harassment on New York City streets and campuses. It seems impossible to explain to a 13-year-old, for whom the war in Vietnam might as well be the War of Jenkins’s Ear, the connection between waving the flag and bombing ordinary people half a world away back to the proverbial stone age. I tell her she can buy a flag with her own money and fly it out her bedroom window, because that’s hers, but the living room is off-limits.

Del Dolemonte on May 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Obama’s narcissism doubtless leaves him incapable of comprehending that the hallowed soil of Ground Zero is not the place for a speech.

It is, quite simply, a place which should render anyone…speechless.

GGMac on May 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I eagerly await your debunking of the Snopes piece about national day of prayer… when unable to refute the statement attack the source is the typical response one would expect of a college freshman.

How quickly you paint the motives of the many with the statements of one. Intolerance is your daily bread.
It is sad that seeing thousands of youths cheering the USA as they were only elicits a cynical response from some that it was contrived, insincere and (according to the voices in your head) not real.

Bradky on May 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I cant imagine any sane person standing at a Shell station while pumpimg $4 a gal gas, and a homeless man asking him for money, that Obama is a hero of any sort. I dont follow others in giving him extended praise. Bush would be endlessly praising the troops..the Lib Socialists are praising their Dear Leader.

malkinmania on May 3, 2011 at 6:39 AM

OH now he wants to go to WTC site, I guess he needs to gloat now! Couldn’t be bothered on 9/11 anniversary for the past 2 years, he sent Biden. Now he wants to go, STAY IN THE WH AND DO YOUR JOB!

xler8bmw on May 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM

I refuse to feed this man’s already gigantic ego by giving him credit.
Our service men and women get all my thanks. It was, after all, just a couple of weeks ago that Obama was using them as pawns in the government shut down.
Before that, he put their lives in further peril with his d@mm new ROE policy.
Before that, he made a career out of bashing them…so why should he get any credit.
Just because he happens to occupy the WH is not a good enough reason.

ZeeMI on May 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Hey, 0′Bama, that’s not what they mean by ground zero. It’s not about you.

mr.blacksheep on May 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I (heart) waterboarding.
The great irony is one of the architects of trying to dismantle gitmo, enhanced interrogation, and many other programs, is now the man that is is aided by the very thing that he felt was wrong, and ineffective.
So far not one liberal on HA has stated how waterboarding, overseas special interrogation camps, Gitmo, was integral to this operation.
This is like the President of an HMO taking credit for a heart transplant…Obama was the president, doesn’t matter one way or another…just more glad he wasn’t several years ago, since he would have never received the information that allowed the military to complete this mission.

right2bright on May 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Del Dolemonte on May 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Heh. Good for the 13 year old. Wonder if she still feels the same now that she’s 23. As for the violence, though the MSM tried mightily, they have next to nil to show for that meme. The ones they did highlight usually turned out to be ragheads trying to stroke up chaos, a la the 6 Imans on that NWA flight.

AH_C on May 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Oops, let’s try that again.

Del Dolemonte on May 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

AH_C on May 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM

AH_C on May 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM

xler8bmw on May 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Yeah. Better now than next the two Septembers.

AH_C on May 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Terrye on May 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Terrye -

It’s difficult to find the quality of “graciousness” in an individual who believes they are “entitled” to whatever they want. Dennis Prager wrote a very fine piece re: gratitude vs. the entitlement mentality. Obama and his kind are never grateful for anything to anyone, because they believe they are entitled to what ever it is they want. (When I was a wee small leprechaun, I had difficulty understanding the Tenth Commandment. I couldn’t figure out why I would want the things listed from my neighbor.)

[17] “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.”
(Exodus 20:17 ESV)

(It helps if you recall that the “progressive income tax” under which we suffer is a direct contradiction of Commandment number 10. A progressive income tax is founded on greed and envy.)

Mr. Prager states in part:

“What entitlements do, and what the transformation of entitlements into rights does, is create a citizenry that increasingly lacks the most important character trait — gratitude. Of all the characteristics needed for both a happy and morally decent life, none surpasses gratitude.”

Read Mr. Prager’s full article. It helps explain the President and the Welfare State he promotes.

The Welfare State and the Selfish Society