Video: Obama and Seth Meyers goof on Trump at WHCD — and Trump responds

posted at 12:30 pm on May 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

I’m giving you the complete speeches in case you didn’t get to watch last night, but if it’s just the Trump stuff you’re interested in, the Daily Beast has you covered. I half-expected him not to show knowing what was in store, but to his credit, he turned out and took his lumps — stone-faced, as the crowd around him roared. It was kind of him to provide a designated target for the evening: The days of comics speaking hijinks-y truth to power by ripping on the president to his face a la Colbert and Bush ended abruptly in January 2009, of course. The hardest jab Meyers landed on Obama last night was joking that, after two years of accelerated aging in office, he now looks less like the Old Spice guy than like Lou Gossett Jr. Given the usual kid-gloves treatment comics reserve for The One, that actually qualifies as daring. And somehow, even that riff ended up in a nasty shot at O’s opponents: “If your hair gets any whiter, the tea party is going to endorse it.” (Other parts of his routine, especially the jokes about the after-parties, were better.)

Trump phoned in to Fox & Friends this morning to react and was … surprisingly restrained. That clip is also embedded below. Whatever else you end up watching, at least check out the first minute of the Obama speech to see the satire of over-the-top patriotism that he used as an intro. Provocative stuff.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m not excited about him running and I don’t think most folks around here are either.

What I am excited about is the way Trump is not afraid to go after the Boy King unlike the rest of the GOP squishes. – Knucklehead on May 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I agree. Trump is will not lay down and let Obama walk all over him. I don’t want either man as my president. However, Trump can expose the thin-skinned amateur that we now have as our commander-in-chief. For that alone I must applaud The Donald …………… attack The ONE.

SC.Charlie on May 1, 2011 at 8:18 PM

“he [Trump] turned out and took his lumps — stone-faced”

While it was hard to make out Trump’s face in the dark, he seemed to be smiling.

Ira on May 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM

there’s a consistency to these things: when a republican is president, they have on a liberal comedian to mock the president. when a democrat is president, they have on a liberal comedian to mock the president’s critics.

eh on May 2, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Yikes! Lighten up, guys!

crr6 on May 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Bookmarked.

This comment will come back to bite him in November of 2012.

fossten on May 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM

fossten on May 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Lightning strikes twice… :)

itsspideyman on May 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM

eh on May 2, 2011 at 1:06 AM

TBF, I’m pretty sure the Bush White House thought Steven Colbert was a conservative comedian. Imagine their surprise!

crr6 on May 2, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Why not just rename the event to “Bash Republicans Night”. No matter who is in the White House, the agenda for this event is always the same, beat up on Conservatives & Republicans.

How can anyone with a straight face deny the left leaning nature of the media in light of performances like this.

Tim Zank on May 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I’d like to see this event abolished, also, by the White House. Any time would work for me.

Seth Meyers runs down the Right/Conservatives/Republicans/Values on Saturday Night Live continually, under some disgusting pretense of “humor” — this MIGHT work as political humor by a very thin thread IF Meyers also included his obvious-affiliations (Left, Democrat, Liberal, anarchist, atheist…) in his routines, but he doesn’t do that.

I’ve never found Meyers “funny” nor any of his routines on SNL and I don’t get why he’s even the writer and one of the ‘stars’ of the show, because even the audiences (when I’ve watched) don’t respond well to his failed attempts at being funny — he and what he says always comes off being snotty, foolish, immature-without-any-charm-of-naivete, just sorta’ like a smelly creep on a street corner crackin’ stupid. Without a laughtrack, the show would be silent as to audience response except for the occasional shock-reactions when Meyers runs his foolishness.

So here he is, among the most non-funny writers ever, hosting the latest White House Snarkfest. Though I am not surprised, it remains just disgusting as to how this Administration wastes time and public patience.

As to the media involved, most of America understands by now that media is synonymous with Democrat-Liberal-Left and is highly unreliable in that regard. So there’s no shock in that they’re acting out as such at these White House events as they do, it’s just by this time an event that makes little sense and certainly is never entertaining.

Obama, I add, comes off as a pompous jerk in these speeches, especially knowing that he’d just finished his fundraising events barking about how great he was while already having been called to the floor about the impending Osama Bin Laden raid. I just find the man exceptionally indecent.

I liked the Trump call-in comments.

Good post, AP.

Lourdes on May 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Obama’s beer-making efforts that take place in the White House…now, THAT would have been funny had any intelligent comic in this event cared to include that.

Lourdes on May 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM