The Traveling Morrisseys – Day 2

posted at 5:50 pm on April 30, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Our host, Capt. Ed, continues his diligent undercover investigative journalist work into the nefarious activities of speculators driving up the international prices of Gorgonzola cheese this weekend. But in the interest of providing inspiration and enlightenment to the loyal army of Hot Air readers, he and his wife stopped off at the Vatican and allowed me to share some of the sights with you. Ed also asked me to share this brief personal note with you all.

A couple of observations from my first two days, then. First, this city is very involved in the beatification of JPII; they have kiosks with info on it all over. In one part of the city a few miles away from the Vatican, there was a large video display playing highlights from JPII’s papacy. Tomorrow we go to the Mass celebrating the beatification, and it will be packed. People will start arriving at 5 am. Not us … Other people.

Second: The Romans are even nicer and more hospitable than you might imagine. We are having a wonderful time.

First up we have the lovely First Mate, posing in front of a display which was put up in honor of Pope John Paul II to commemorate his beatification.

First Mate with Pope John Paul II memorial

Next is a shot of one of the many beautiful arched halls inside the Vatican.

A hall inside the Vatican

Ed took this picture at the approach to St. Peter’s Basilica. Simply amazing.

Entry to St. Peter's Basilica

This one is of the Pieta and pretty much speaks for itself. Ed mentioned that this was as close as they were allowed to get for taking pictures.

The Pieta at the Vatican

The final picture today may look blurry, but it has an interesting story. It’s one of the many beautiful tapestries at the Vatican, very ancient, but woven in a way which Ed described as changing aspects depending upon which angle you looked at it from.

A tapestry at the Vatican

That’s all for today, but the happy couple are currently on their way to hit a number of other historic sites and we should have another update soon. Enjoy!

Comments

Beautiful Ed, thanks for sharing.

PappyD61 on April 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I’m still waiting for the pix of Ed wading in the Trevi Fountain with a kitten on his head.

Blake on April 30, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Whoops! Wrong link.

Blake on April 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I’m not Catholic, so I just figured out this morning that it must be so huge to be a Catholic in Rome right now!

Best wishes, Ed and first mate, I hope your trip is full of life long memories.

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Beautiful photos, Ed. You are having quite the vacation. Thanks for posting the photos and the notes, Jazz.

simkeith on April 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Ed and your lovely wife have a wonderful time in Rome. You are there to see something tomorrow that doesn’t happen very often. I am not Catholic, but I did admire JP11.
L

letget on April 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I am enjoying your trip vicariously, Morrisseys. It brings back wonderful memories of my own adventures in Roma in 1997.

Stay away from those gypsies. One gave me the evil eye, and I don’t think that I ever recovered.

Mangia, mangia, mangia the wonderful food. The pizza and pasta is to die for.

The size of St. Peter’s Basilica is hard to fathom until a guide puts its magnificent proportions into perspective.

Be sure to check out the catacombs.

And isn’t it incredible that the Coliseum is still standing when we build and tear down sports’ arenas with impunity.

Ciao, bambinos.

onlineanalyst on April 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I hope Ed’s going to one of those wild Berlusconi parties. Those are the pictures I want to see.

Mark1971 on April 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

er, are to die for.

onlineanalyst on April 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

We are visiting Rome this summer. Ed, do you recommend getting tickets ahead of time to tour the Vatican?

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Michelangelo’s Pieta had a profound effect on me when I first saw a pic of it as a kid. It is a true masterpiece.

JetBoy on April 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM

For those interested, FoxNews will cover this service live from 4 AM to 6 AM eastern, Sunday morning. Comcast already shows this programming in its program guide for those who want to set up a recording and sleep in.

karenhasfreedom on April 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Awesome!

Key West Reader on April 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM

It looks beautiful, Ed. I know that you and the First Mate are enjoying yourself. We miss you.

kingsjester on April 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Wonderful. So glad Ed is providing a travelogue via JS.
Hope Marcia & Ed are really enjoying this trip.
Blessings to them!

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Love it! Ed don’t miss St. John Lateran.

Ted Torgerson on April 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

You will not need tickets to enter St. Peter’s. Just remember to wear clothing that is appropriate. A visit to the museums, which includes the Sistine Chapel, will have a long line, up to a couple hours, so advanced tickets are good.

Ted Torgerson on April 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Very beautiful imagery,Capt’n Ed and First Mate,
what History,and Spirituality,enjoy yourselfs:)

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Greetings from the Director
***************************

Dear Visitors, firstly,
————————

a cordial welcome from the Director of the Vatican Museums. Second, you are entering into one of the most important sites for the history of human… [Continues]

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Don’t leave Roma without dining at Sabatini in Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere.

Jayrae on April 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

THE VATICAN VIRTUAL TOUR
****************************

Ripped from
——————————————————-

THE VATICAN VIRTUAL TOUR
*************************

Touring the Vatican Without Taking a Step
Virtual Images Bring Rome to Your Home
ROME, JULY 27, 2010 (Zenit.org)
——————————–

Nothing can compare to a visit to Rome to admire the Sistine Chapel in person, or feel the “embrace” of the colonnade surrounding St. Peter’s Square.

But a two-year project accomplished by students of the Villanova University of Pennsylvania can bring part of the “Rome experience” into your home.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Thanks Ed, Italy is just awesome!

tim c on April 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I am not Catholic, but I did admire JP11.

So far there have been only JP1 (I) and JP2 (II). The Arabic number “11″ is nothing like the Roman number “II”. Not even close. It’s off by nine.

Wait a second… 9+II=11? Someone call Alex Jones!

-Language Martinet
(Math is language too.)

The Monster on April 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

That’s right Ed, us Romans are some of the nicest and passionate people you will ever meet. My brother and his family still live in Italia, San Gennaro and Naples area. I have to go back soon as my brother is not getting any younger and I really love Italy and miss it!

Enjoy the rest of your stay and if you get the chance to not miss the following while there:

Pompeii and Herculanium, the two cities that were buried by Mt. Vesuvious…it’s like going back in time and you will not be disappointed!

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Love it! Ed don’t miss St. John Lateran.

Ted Torgerson on April 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM

My biggest regret…

Blake on April 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Hey Ed, did they take down all the tacky souvenir stands in that hallway into the Sistene Chapel? I don’t see them in the picture posted on the front page.

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Ted Torgerson on April 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM

THanks Ted!

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

HGTV Channel has House Hunters International as a 30 minute program where they chronicle the house hunting search for people in various countries. They often feature shows in Italy, in all areas. Some are local Italians looking for new digs, other shows are foreigners who would like a vacation home in various parts of the country. So if you miss Italy, you can sometimes feel like you are back home watching these shows.

karenhasfreedom on April 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I remember those! It was quite surprising on my first visit.

sherry on April 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Actually, the third photo is not the approach to St. Peter’s Basilica, it’s in the rear of the Church, behind the altar, looking at a lovely stained glass window depicting the dove that generally symbolizes the Holy Spirit.

I’m not trying to be a pedant or anything, but as a veteran of many trips I recognize it.

I was once at St. Peter’s when Pope Benedict was saying mass. It was an amazing experience. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be there during the beatification of Pope John Paul II.

My thanks to Ed and Maricia for sharing their vacation, and my prayers for their safe and enjoyable trip and return home.

My Regards.

RocketmanBob on April 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM

In 2004, the tour I was on went to the Vatican. We walked through the museum, which included many arched halls like the second photo above. We went into the Sistine Chapel, where photography is not allowed, and which was crowded full of tourists. Some people in my group took over a four- or five-seat area on one of the benches around the Chapel, which we then took turns occupying to rest our feet.

From there we proceeded into St. Peter’s Basilica and afterwards to the adjacent Square, from which we stepped out of Vatican City back into Italy.

Bigfoot on April 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

We are staying in Poisitano for a week, any recommendations?

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful place. And beautiful people, Marcia and Ed.

BTW, Ed, did you pre-clear your diet and food selection choices while there with our lovely First Lady and Food Czar. If not, based on my trips to Italy, you may well encounter problems upon re-entry to the States.

God Bless you both, and safe travels

TXUS on April 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM

We are staying in Poisitano for a week, any recommendations?

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Lucky you
You can start looking right here.

And for touring the area, get the Rick Steves Guide to Italy. I know he’s a Libtard, but his book is the most helpful out there.

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Okay, I’m so green with envy I need to go to confession after seeing these photos!

Not really, but it does bring back such wonderful memories of my own visit to Rome and the Vatican. I just stood and stared at the Pieta. I had always wanted to see it, and then, to have it right there…gah! I believe it is the most beautiful thing ever made by the hands of man. That something so soft and moving could come from a cold hard lump of marble… I believe it was inspired. I can’t begin to understand the idiot who bashed it with a hammer keeping me/all from viewing it without the barrier. Why would anyone want to destroy such beauty?

I was fortunate enough to attend one of Pope John Paul II’s regular Wed. audiences. It was like trying to see the biggest rock star in the world, with a crowd like I’ve never seen, and this was just the regular weekly audience. It was raining and so they couldn’t have it in the square, and divided us up into groups by language. I was almost trampled trying to get to the English one in St Paul Auditorium! I had a bruise on my hip from being crushed into one of the barricades by a tour group. I found it so strange that it was so rowdy to see the pope, and the tour group weren’t even Catholic! My husband noticed the relatively calm group going into St Peter’s for the German speaking group. We went with them. I didn’t really need to understand him. I just wanted to see him, and being in St Peter’s on the papal altar was rather special, too. We got to within about 20 feet and all the people, as we were waiting for him to arrive, started singing hymns. I knew them, but in English…It was wonderful.

And of course the food, and wine…even the cheap house table wines were so yummy./reminiscing

I hope your trip is as wonderful, Ed. What a special time to be there. Thanks for sharing.

pannw on April 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

karenhasfreedom on April 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Thanks Karen, I’ll have to start recording it. Of course it will make me even more home-sick!

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Beautiful. Thanks Ed. Best wishes on the rest of your trip.

DeathB4Tyranny on April 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

We are staying in Poisitano for a week, any recommendations?

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I would say Naples but unfortunately they are curently having an on-going issue with their garbage, that and unless you know someone there it’s not one of the safest cities to go off by yourself.

You are not far from a really nice little town called San Gennaro and not far from there (8-miles) is Pompeii and about 40 minutes north is Herculanium, or as the Italians call it Ercalano. Most people know of Pompeii, but few people are aware of Herculanium, the other city that was destroyed by MT. Vesuvio and has been excavated…they’re both just awesome!

I would also check out some of the small towns and cities as you go north toward Rome, if you are going that far north.

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

You are not far from a really nice little town called San Gennaro

San Gennaro is where my brother lived when I last visited him, it’s in the shadow of MT. Vesuvio so it’s a nice drive from Poisitano and you drive right by the volcano.

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Thanks! I just picked up his DVD at the library today!

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I would never recommend anyone who’s a friend to go to Naples, the drivers in both cars and on scooters were insane. I spent 21 days in Italy last fall and Pompeii and
Herculanium were the main reasons for my trip. Absolutely amazing. Sorento is also a nice side trip for some decent pizza and shopping if you’re into it or over to the overpriced island of Capri to take a look at the overpriced Blue Grotto.

And please don’t fall for the tourist trap known as Volcano Sulftara! Not worth the time, it’s privately owned and the owner is very pushy. Ugh.

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I like Ed.

DrStock on April 30, 2011 at 9:25 PM

JetBoy on April 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM

New York World Fair? Me too. I remember the lines to get in to see the Pieta and the moving sidewalk. It was slow enough to get a pretty good view of it all (well, all you could), but there was no way to stay in place and stare without getting run over. But I got to see it 2 or 3 times. I was about 11 years old at the time.

It was and is beautiful.

karl9000 on April 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Ed, you are a nice guy and I love it that you are from Minnesota… but I could care less about your vacation, which obviously cost alot of money. Rub our noses in it – you can write a blog and afford it. We read the blog and can’t. Yippee.

suzyk on April 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Keep those pictures coming, they’re amazing. Have a wonderful time, you certainly earned it!

DrAllecon on April 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Ed and the 1st Mate got in there for some good weather too. 60% chance of rain on Tuesday, and 30% on Wednesday. Then some sunny clear days!

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

pabo on May 1, 2011 at 6:49 AM

The Traveling Morrisseys was a 60s folk band, no?

hawkdriver on May 1, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Good stuff Ed, enjoy yourselves! Ciao.

Zorro on May 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

suzyk on April 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

If you don’t care, don’t read it. No one is holding a gun to your head. And if you can’t afford a vacation, stop wasting time on the internet and go get a job.

Blake on May 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Dr Evil on May 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Ed, if you get a chance, check out the small church Santa Maria della Vittorio. In a chapel of that church is a Bernini sculpture called “The Ecstacy of St. Teresa”. It is a most amazing piece of art. Another off the beaten track site is the San Pietro in Vincoli church (near the Colosseum) which has (they claim) the chains used to incarcerate St. Peter. They also have an amazing sculpture of Moses by Michelangelo.

Rome is the most fantastic place I have ever visited. I know you are enjoying yourself.

halfastro on May 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM

What exactly does beatification mean and what is the point? It is obvious they want to make SPII a saint, so why not just do it?

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Great pic’s Ed, stay safe and enjoy!!!

Tim Zank on May 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I can see why people admired him but to pretend that he performed miracles is silly.

Blake on May 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Ed My husband and I went to Rome last year to celebrate our 20th anniversay. We loved the Vatican and enjoyed walking the whole center of Rome. Stop at every church that you can. Each one is literlly a museum! There is a gellato store right across from the Vatican called Old Bridge (I think) which has the best gellato…you can’t miss it because it always has a line.

ctmom on April 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

We got tour tickets from the concierge at our hotel when we checked in and went a few days later. This allowed us to bypass the very very very long line to get in. It is well worth is to pay to skip the line and get the private tour. It’s about 60 euros a person but again, well worth it.

CCRWM on May 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I am drop dead jealous. Skipped the event on purpose b/c as a Catholic I am a JPII generation, and every time I see him I just cry. I have a book with quotes from JPII, and I can’t barely see it. I will watch some coverage of it later on.

Also I don’t feel comfortable with the beatification fast-track. If the body does not decompose and smells of roses yes, (incorrupt), or a miracle that is quite obvious not just from a nun. I don’t have a statue of him b/c I consider that idolatry.

I am praying a 54-day novena and each day is harder than the one before. Be safe Ed! When are you guys coming back?

ProudPalinFan on May 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM

CCRWM on May 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Thanks! This trip is to check off a box on my 78 year old father-in-law’s bucket list, and I think we’ll do the private tour.

ctmom on May 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM