Open thread: Obama versus Trump at White House Correspondents’ Dinner

posted at 6:30 pm on April 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

C-SPAN’s coverage starts at 6:45 ET (livestreaming online right here) with a view of the red carpet as celebrities and “celebrities” make their way in. Any reason to spend hours watching reporters congratulate themselves on being important, punctuated by Obama goofing on his political enemies and then Seth Meyers goofing on Obama’s political enemies?

Yep, there is this year.

The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is this Saturday, and, as usual, media organizations (including our own) have been scrambling to land celebrity guests to pack their ballroom tables. And, as usual, the names run the gamut of glamorous to titillating. But in the run-up to what’s been dubbed “Nerd Prom,” one invitation has stood out: the Washington Post is slated to bring Donald Trump, birther presidential candidate and reality TV star…

We did not find too many people at the Post willing to talk about the Trump invite… But a newsroom employee who asked to remain anonymous [said]: “It’s embarrassing but so is the entire affair.” Another Post source defended the invite–to a point. “I understand where the question comes from, but the guy is at the top of the polls. He’s No. 1,” the source said. “Look, the guy wants to play in the deep end of the pool, so fine, let him.” The source also pointed out that the Post extended its WHCD invitation when Trump’s birther candidacy was considered a publicity stunt instead of credible. “Imagine if the Post decided, ‘You’re not invited.’ Then you would be doing a different story.”…

Trump’s harshest critic at the Post so far has been conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer, who called Trump a “provocateur and clown” who “can only hurt the [Republican] party” with his questions about Obama’s birthplace. We asked him whether he shared Klein’s embarrassment at being affiliated with him through the WHCD. “He’s a spectacle,” he said. “If I took the White House Correspondent’s Dinner any more seriously than the Trump candidacy than it would bother me. But I don’t. Like Trump, it’s a spectacle.”

Bristol Palin will be there too — and so might Sarah, who dropped by the WHCD brunch this morning in D.C. I can’t find confirmation online that she’ll be at tonight’s dinner, but if she’s decided at the last minute that she wants to go, rest assured that she’ll get in. Obama, Trump, and Palin, all in the same room? What could go wrong?

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be. Exit question: Trump’s going to end up heckling The One, isn’t he?

Update: Alas, Palin won’t be there after all. According to Ian Lazaran of Conservatives4Palin, she’s giving a speech in Bethesda tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

Thanks, AP. You are da’ man!

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be.

Really?

forest on April 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is like the royal wedding for journalists. I’m sure it will be quite the “enchanted” evening.

JavelinaBomb on April 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I really wish some POTUS would abolish this event.

commodore on April 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

They should’ve slated him a spot to speak. And let the fireworks begin!

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up AP. I just got Direct TV, anyone know what channel?

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I’d love to see an unseemly display as much as the next guy but the truth is this event should have been shelved years ago. It’s far past its sell date.

Mason on April 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Join us for “Heroes Among Us” featuring keynote speaker Gov. Sarah Palin and special guest Lila Rose. Governor Palin will speak about the heroism of motherhood and how to empower women to make the courageous choice for life. Sarah is the mother of five children and the grandmother of one. Sarah’s oldest child, Bristol, experienced an unexpected pregnancy and Sarah’s youngest, Trig, has Down Syndrome. Lila Rose founded Live Action when she was 15 years old and has exposed abortion facilities nationwide for alleged illegal activities.
The dinner is scheduled for Saturday, April 30, 2011 at the Bethesda North Marriott, 5701 Marinelli Rd ., Bethesda MD, Bethesda, Maryland (map). Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the dinner begins at 7:00 p.m.

Even Palin can’t be at 2 places at once.

huckleberryfriend on April 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

“It’s embarrassing but so is the entire affair.”

Yeah, a ‘gathering of whores’ would be.

GarandFan on April 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM

“Mirth certificate?” AP, puns like that are a sign of old age.

NickDeringer on April 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Obama, Trump, and Palin, all in the same room?

Sounds like the beginning of a joke…

JetBoy on April 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

How many of them will be in Obamas lap?

The Whoredog media is beyond respect, they are the clowns they call Trump!!!

PappyD61 on April 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I wonder if Obama has the balls to hit Palin with her daughter in the room ?

Nah he has enough stoogies to do that dirty work for him.

William Amos on April 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Seth Meyers is the comic relief this year? Jon Stewart isn’t reliably pro-Obama any more and Louis C.K. is not prime time friendly. I expect Obama’s writers are providing witty comments about Trump and/or the birth certificate.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be.

No can do. I’ve got an appointment to have my fingernails pulled out with a pair of pliers.

GrannyDee on April 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

GrannyDee on April 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I would rather set my hair on fire and put it out with a hammer.

kingsjester on April 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Who the frack is Seth Meyers? Isn’t this where some famous comedian is supposed to poke fun at little Bammie? Was Steve Bridges previously engaged?

slickwillie2001 on April 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Gotta be a MLB game on some channel tonight. Frantically manipulating remote…

a capella on April 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Obama, Trump, and Palin, all in the same room?

Sounds like the beginning of a joke…

JetBoy on April 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I think those might be fighting words for some…

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Zzzzz…got my own party to attend. Will watch highlights tomorrow, hope it’s funny.

Fortunata on April 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I wonder if Obama has the balls to hit Palin with her daughter in the room ?

If this were Billy Jeff’s WHCD, the question would be, “Will Billy Jeff have the balls to hit on Palin’s daughter?

predator on April 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I wish that I was in Bethesda, MD watching Lila Rose and Governor Palin.

That sounds like a great event.

chief on April 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I’ll be imagining that the witty Thaddeus McCotter is president and Greg Gutfeld is the comic relief. Sorry, I’m going through Red Eye withdrawal this week.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Palin may attend the WHCD after party, after her speech in Bethesda.

debg on April 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

The thing about Obama is that he enjoys his own writers’ jokes too much. He gets that big, self-satisfied smile. Bush was much better at delivering punchlines.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Amen to that. I’m soooooo glad that the “Royals” are done gettin’ their groove on so we can have our Red Eye back.

predator on April 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Eric Cantor is there schmoozing.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Exit question: Trump’s going to end up heckling The One, isn’t he?

Let’s hope so.

Kataklysmic on April 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

And I keep working so my taxes can fund this lunacy……

maineconservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

An Aquafresh Oops.

mizflame98 on April 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

predator on April 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

ITA. I’m sure Wills and Kate are a lovely couple, but I bet they didn’t show cat videos or have a halftime ombudsman at their wedding.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Bristol is going to the MSNBC after-party. I wonder if she’ll bring Mom?

SnarkVader on April 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Obama, Trump, and Palin, all in the same room?

Sounds like the beginning of a joke…

JetBoy on April 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

No , a joke would start with mitch daniels…

the_nile on April 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

For a moment, thought this was in AllahPundit’s voice. It would be good to see him in person. You know, AP, religion isn’t exactly your thing, but, in all traditions is the importance of compassion, which includes caring for others, and letting them care about you, getting involved in others’ lives, and letting them get involved in your life. There’s a spiritual joy in fellowship with your brethren. It’s uplifting, and furthermore … awww … nevermind.

Paul-Cincy on April 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Somebody needs to make a GIF of Wolf Blitzers eyes checking out Mila Kunis.

freedomplow on April 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Did somebody just yell Donald? And there he is now!

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be.

I just painted the closet and I’m afraid I have to sit there and watch it get dry, instead.

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Exit question: Trump’s going to end up heckling The One, isn’t he?

Given Obama’s performance with the Supremes, and later with Paul Ryan, I suspect its more likely to be the other way around.

sharrukin on April 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Pffffftttt made a big pot of spaghetti sauce today. Gettin ready to eat, put in “Secretariat” and pig out. Let me know how this goes….like I don’t already know the ending. It’s getting sooooooooooo easy to write these scripts lately. *sigh*

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

David Arquette? There’s one celebrity still talking to The Donald.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Pffffftttt made a big pot of spaghetti sauce today.

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Wow, so did I. With peppers, onions, garlic, asparagus, mushrooms, olives and celery. Oh, and shredded pork.

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I wonder where Charlie Sheen is tonight.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Love this quote from the piece on Palin attending the brunch:

The hubbub was enough to cause one reporter to quip: “Look at all these reporters who typically rip her a new one mosey on up to her, desperate to get a photograph.”

Hypocrites and sycophants.

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Terrie,

Andy Levy conducting the royal nuptials–now wouldn’t that be a hoot!

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I wonder where Nicole Sandler is tonight.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be who don’t have a social life (!).

There. Fixed it for ya.

conservative pilgrim on April 30, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up AP. I just got Direct TV, anyone know what channel?

Knucklehead on April 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

350. It’s C-Span. I’ll stick with the Tigers game, until it’s time for Dr. Who. Yankees already one.

Oh, one of Ghadafi’s sons has been killed.

rbj on April 30, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Fake Breaking news,

from the Non-Bannished so far,news organization…..

BendOver BackAwkWards News(BBN)
**********************************
**********************************

It was a scene from the movie Liar Liar,as Obama was
cracking a humours Progressive jokes,Trumpet stood
up,as Obama was still in mid-sentence,when TrumpaTeer
unleashed an avelanche of F-Bombs,and continued with,

“You stupid Moron,Your BOINKING this country,your BOIKING
Business,Your BOIKING OUR Future”,and at that point,the
Secret Service,crap,The New Yorker,TPM,and Democratic Un
derground,made a protective cacoon,around the President,

and then,Sarah Palin,unleashed an F-Bomb Blitzgrierg of her
own, and then….. …….(Snark).

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Loud bunch

Hening on April 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

What a perfect evening here in North Carolina.

I’ve got chicken on the grill and I’m enjoying a strong drink of vodka with a splash of 7-up.

Is 7:00 pm too early to start drinking or too late?

chief on April 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Oh, one of Ghadafi’s sons has been killed.

rbj on April 30, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Which one?

sharrukin on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

TV’s Andy Levy would try to talk the royal couple out of getting hitched, citing impressive sounding historical facts from Wikipedia. Earlier today (or late yesterday) he tweeted, “Mawwiage.”

Paula Abdul is there, too?

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:07 PM

MAAAAAAANNNNNNNN! That sounds soooooo good! Nope, mine just with homemade meatballs, hot and mild italian sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, peppers, loooooootttttttsssss of garlic. I never thought about the asparagus. I love asparagus but my kids (all grown of course) don’t care for it. I do have an awesome recipe for asparagus that they do eat. Broiled with a little olive oil drizzled over it, sprinkled with garlic powder, salt and pepper. They just pig out on it then.

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

There went the ballerina…
(just peeked)

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Saif Gaddafi

Mark1971 on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Is 7:00 pm too early to start drinking or too late?

chief on April 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Happy hour starts at 5 pm. No exceptions.

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Where’s Snooki? She’d fit right in with this crowd.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Moammar Gaddafi was in the same building at the time. Maybe he was the target.

Mark1971 on April 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

chief on April 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I didn’t know you could barbque without a drink! *slaps self* my bad…;-)

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Prediction…………………..

With Hopey/Changey’s herr Journalist Gestapo Progressive
TempleTroopers,

there is an icy chill in the dinner air,as Election 2012,
WE WILL CONTROL THE MESSAGE,

so,either the MSM,Tote the line,or Buck up,or stay in da
Journalist Truck!!

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Yours sounds real good too.
How can you not love asparagus.
Never knew it was a luxury food until I was an adult and out of mom’s house (she grew it) and paid more per lb. than I did for the sirloin steaks,

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I love asparagus roasted in the oven with a few splashes of EVOO and dashes of sea salt. Or asparagus hollandaise. But I would put eggplant in my spaghetti sauce instead of asparagus.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

And then say,”I apologize for nothing.”

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I’ve started cooking with ground turkey, the 93/7 stuff. I love it because it soaks up spices like nobody’s business. Garlic, worcestershire sauce (gives it a beef taste), Lawry’s, oregano, Bay leaves are key, and mushrooms and onions, naturally.

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Loud bunch

Hening on April 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Hening:I’m awaiting for BashirMoonBats take,on how well
behaved the American Left is,at zee Dinner Shindig!

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Newt and his third ex-wife-to-be. There’s something about Callista that just seems manufactured by Mattel. Or maybe that’s just me.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Bristol is going to the MSNBC after-party. I wonder if she’ll bring Mom?

SnarkVader on April 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

From the post:

Bee on April 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Why do Brits wear hats?

If this was British the women would all have hats.

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be.

Huh? Who the f*** would watch that?

Jaibones on April 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

If only I could direct that mile wide tornado, I could do the entire human population a huge favor.

Keemo on April 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Yes. “I apologize for nothing” over and over. I guess Greg Gutfeld would have to be there, too. Maybe as the pastor doing cartwheels.

Ewww, Lawrence O’D.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM

TRIPOLI, Libya — Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi survived a NATO missile strike Saturday that killed his youngest son and three grandchildren and wounded friends and relatives, Libya’s spokesman said.
. . .
“The attack resulted in the martyrdom of brother Saif al-Arab Gadhafi, 29 years old, and three of the leader’s grandchildren,” Ibrahim said. He described Saif as a student.

rbj on April 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM
Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

As far as I’m concerned, asparagus A.N.Y. way is the best. I love it. Never thought about eggplant in my sketti sauce, sounds good too. Hmmmmmmmm….gettin some great ideas for future sketti sauces. Keep-em-comin!

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Anyone else getting severe glitching, stopping, and hiccups with the CSPAN stream?

SgtSVJones on April 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I thought it was black tie. Weird combo of dress here.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

If this was British the women would all have hats.
petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

You want hats? Watch the Kentucky Derby next Saturday. Those gals will show the Brits how hats are done.

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Geralllllldooooo Riiiiiveeeeera.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I thought it was black tie.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

How racist of you… :-)

Keemo on April 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I used to cook alot with turkey. The problem I had was you had to spice it up sooooooo much in order to get any kind of flavor (back in the old days). Now when I do cook with it, I know how much spice to use and it’s much better. Excellent for things like sgetti sauce, etc. but I gotsta have my italian sausage, pepperoni and homemade meatballs now…..mmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm…Moochelle would be sooooo proud!

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Bristol Palin must have an agent who thinks this is a good career move.

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Seth Meyers? He’ll spend his time kissing Obama’s behind.

Paul-Cincy on April 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I love eggplant. Have you ever made moussaka? It’s like a Greek lasagna with layers of eggplant instead of noodles. Or baba ghanouj, which is basically hummus with roasted eggplant instead of garbanzo beans. So good.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

GrannyDee on April 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

kingsjester on April 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I’d rather have my tongue beaten thin with a steak tenderizer and then stapled to the floor with a croquet hoop. – Edmund Blackadder

The White House Correspondence Dinner is like the Homecoming Football game. All the cheerleaders (media) are hoping that the star quarterback (Obama) invites them under the bleachers for a snog and fondle session.

Left Coast Right Mind on April 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Is Chris Matthews there?

Is he wearing knee pads?

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be.

No way would I subject myself to that. I’ll watch clips on Youtube tomorrow.

I love the internet for that alone.

disa on April 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Remember folks…

… these people holding the party are the one’s that carried the water for Obowma.

Look what he has done to this nation…

… They are not innocent. They are not bystanders. They are not objective journalist who only print the facts and let the American public make up their own minds.

They are enablers. They are propagandist. They purposely distort facts, and fill the news with the liberal ideology opinion to indoctrinate, not inform…

… $14 Trillion in debt, gas approaching $5/gal, fires in TX, tornadoes and floods across the land, unemployment, the middle east on fire, Obowma’s drilling moratorium, Operation Gun Walker, and these people charged under the Constitution of the United States to hold our elected officials accountable to the people play dress up.

I wonder if anyone in the room realizes that what happened to the SF Chronicle could happen to them in a heart beat under this Administration…

… How is that for Freedom of the Press?

Thank God for NASCAR…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Is Chris Matthews there?

Is he wearing knee pads?

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM</blockquote

And lip gloss.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Oh my gosh. A President who has a good sense of humor? How would you know? Nobody ever makes fun of him! And I have never laughed at anything Obama has said.

Wait, has this been a joke? I mean the whole thing? Did I get punked? Obama isn’t really the President?

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Bristol Palin must have an agent who thinks this is a good career move.

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I bet your face is turning green…LOL

idesign on April 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Sorry Allah, I’m having more fun talking about cooking and having a drink with my fellow HotAir chefs than watching that cr@p…..to each his own I guess. Let me know how it goes….like I don’t know. heh :-)

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

If this was British the women would all have hats.
petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

predator on April 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM

predator:Triple Crown,yup,did a quick googly:)
===================================================

KENTUCKY DERBY HAT AND SPRING HAT CATALOG ONLINE!
Click Here!
************

canopfor on April 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Bristol Palin must have an agent who thinks this is a good career move.

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Showing they cant beat her.

the_nile on April 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Allah,
Gov Palin is giving a speech tonight.

Heroic Media is a faith-based non-profit that reduces abortion by helping women who face unexpected pregnancies learn hopeful alternatives through mass media advertising.

Individual tickets are $250 for General Admission to the dinner plus service and handling fees. Tickets are available through ExtremeTix’ Click ‘N Print.

unseen on April 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be.

I’ll wait for the outtakes, thanks.

stvnscott on April 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

It’s dinner time and so far the WHCD coverage is a snooze. Wait. Is that Cee Lo Green? I lurve Cee Lo, but I have no interest in his opinion on the debt ceiling.

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Terrie on April 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Moussaka? Oh man, yes! AWESOME stuff. As we say in the south, “it’s soooooooo good makes you wanna slap your mama”. I lubs me some moussaka!

sicoit on April 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I thought it was black tie. Weird combo of dress here.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

They all look like Hollyweird slobs on sloppy Friday…

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Hey Trump, Where’s The Worth Certificate?

faraway on April 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I wonder if this is how Rome looked just before… naw it wasn’t televised.

petunia on April 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM