Open thread: Obama versus Trump at White House Correspondents’ Dinner

posted at 6:30 pm on April 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

C-SPAN’s coverage starts at 6:45 ET (livestreaming online right here) with a view of the red carpet as celebrities and “celebrities” make their way in. Any reason to spend hours watching reporters congratulate themselves on being important, punctuated by Obama goofing on his political enemies and then Seth Meyers goofing on Obama’s political enemies?

Yep, there is this year.

The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is this Saturday, and, as usual, media organizations (including our own) have been scrambling to land celebrity guests to pack their ballroom tables. And, as usual, the names run the gamut of glamorous to titillating. But in the run-up to what’s been dubbed “Nerd Prom,” one invitation has stood out: the Washington Post is slated to bring Donald Trump, birther presidential candidate and reality TV star…

We did not find too many people at the Post willing to talk about the Trump invite… But a newsroom employee who asked to remain anonymous [said]: “It’s embarrassing but so is the entire affair.” Another Post source defended the invite–to a point. “I understand where the question comes from, but the guy is at the top of the polls. He’s No. 1,” the source said. “Look, the guy wants to play in the deep end of the pool, so fine, let him.” The source also pointed out that the Post extended its WHCD invitation when Trump’s birther candidacy was considered a publicity stunt instead of credible. “Imagine if the Post decided, ‘You’re not invited.’ Then you would be doing a different story.”…

Trump’s harshest critic at the Post so far has been conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer, who called Trump a “provocateur and clown” who “can only hurt the [Republican] party” with his questions about Obama’s birthplace. We asked him whether he shared Klein’s embarrassment at being affiliated with him through the WHCD. “He’s a spectacle,” he said. “If I took the White House Correspondent’s Dinner any more seriously than the Trump candidacy than it would bother me. But I don’t. Like Trump, it’s a spectacle.”

Bristol Palin will be there too — and so might Sarah, who dropped by the WHCD brunch this morning in D.C. I can’t find confirmation online that she’ll be at tonight’s dinner, but if she’s decided at the last minute that she wants to go, rest assured that she’ll get in. Obama, Trump, and Palin, all in the same room? What could go wrong?

Comment below if you’re watching, which, let’s face it, most of us will be. Exit question: Trump’s going to end up heckling The One, isn’t he?

Update: Alas, Palin won’t be there after all. According to Ian Lazaran of Conservatives4Palin, she’s giving a speech in Bethesda tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

YYZ, the Trump smackdown tonite was not in jest, light hearted, etc., which is supposed to be the tradition of this thing. They were very ugly, very personal, and very unfounded attacks by both trump and the comedian. I can’t imagine any previous president laughing at a comedian calling someone in the audience a racist. How is that funny?

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 3:18 AM

The whole debacle was a chance for the leftists to excoriate the right. Very mean-spirited and reprehensibly vile…

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

That abortion joke was designed to offend and horrify half the electorate and it was effective.
Cannot. Wait. For. The. Donald. To. Rebut. On. FNC.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Cannot. Wait. For. The. Donald. To. Rebut. On. FNC.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Abortion is a joke to liberals. I doubt that any one of them bothered to read the Grand Jury Report on Kermit Gosnell. If they did start to read it, they would just put it down when it got to the “uncomfortable” parts. They are a disgrace.

Just heard that Trump will be on FOX and Friends tomorrow morning. Hopefully Doocy, Kilmead and Carlson will do a better job than the three clowns that are on this morning.

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Here’s Chris Wallace calling the attacks on Trump “mean”.

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I thought people here hated RINOs? Why all the sympathy for The Donald? Am I the only one who remembers him jumping on the anti-Bush bandwagon the last two years of his term just because everyone was piling on by then?

Speedwagon82 on May 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Wallace tried, but failed, to convince the three clowns on FOX that the attacks on Trump were personal and mean-spirited. They think Trump needs a thicker skin.

*groan*

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Chris showed some class—–they didn’t.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Speedwagon82 on May 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I’m not a Trump supporter by a long shot. Wouldn’t vote for him for any political office, much less the presidency.

That said, I think what we are reacting to here is the president’s obnoxious Chicago-thug style; and (since Trump has identified himself as a Republican–for now,) the attacks on Trump were attacks on all Republicans, right wingers and conservatives by proxy.

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM

missrighty, you got the edit right. It was definitely late night typing without preview. Funny thing, I read what was posted after I posted it and didn’t even comprehend that I was incoherent!!! /facepalm

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Not piling on, Karen, I promise;
But:
I am not a “miss.”

massrighty on May 1, 2011 at 8:26 AM

massrighty on May 1, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Lolz. Poor Karen has twisted-typie fingers this morning.
Happens to all of us…

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Exactly.
I took it personally.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM

*groan*

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

It wasn’t really the jokes ,it was the setting.

the_nile on May 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Not so sure they would recognize “uncomfortable” parts——–after all, “it” is just a clump of cells.
May God have mercy on them…

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

OT: Big Sis is on her way to Birmingham.
That’ll be effective.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Of all the lowbrow jokes made at Trump all night, only one, and it was from OBama, actually made me laugh out loud. Obama simply stated what Trump did on last week’s show, as if it were serious governmental decisions. Smart joke, funny, and should have been the last thing said about him all night.

Of course, Seth Meyers missed on most of his jokes, like SNL has been missing ever since he became head writer.

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I’d never heard of the little tool until last night. Nothing funny about him, just a viscous and mean-spirited little man is all he is…

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Exactly.
I took it personally.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Me too. And that was Obama’s goal throughout.

May God have mercy on them…

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

They refuse to see. Think about how they violently lash out at pro-lifers who dare to show photos of slaughtered innocents.

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM

The biggest problem for guys like him is understanding how to make a joke that cuts just enough that all sides can laugh at it. Seth, of course, has failed miserably at that, and several seasons of SNL has suffered miserably because of it.

They are afraid to make fun of liberals, and when they make fun of the right, they do it to leave marks, not lampoon.

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I quit watching SNL years ago and cannot understand why it is still on the air.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

That really was the best joke of the night, though I really loved Meyers’ extended riffs on MSNBC and C-Span. He took off after the media as much as he did Trump.

For those unfamiliar with Meyers, that is really his style as “anchor” of the “Weekend Update” newscast on SNL. He does a lot of rapid-fire joke news stories, often accompanied by funny graphics or photos. It’s supposed to be a parody of a real newscast, not a stand-up comedy act.

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM

0bama has further disgraced the office of the presidency and brought it to a new low with his sleazy and vile mockery last night.
Talk about bitter

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Dittos, OC, I didn’t even find it amusing years and years ago when it first started. I guess I was never “hip” and “edgy” to appreciate that kind of humor.

That is also the difference between Leno and Letterman. Leno is a folksy kind of guy, and generally his monologues are humorous (but I have to admit, I haven’t watched the show since they brought him back). Letterman is mean spirited and very edgy.

Ever notice few conservatives actually watch Letterman? I am still appalled at his Piper joke about her being seduced by a baseball player. Horrible joke, horrible target, and just unacceptable.

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Thanks for the explanation.
Somehow his humor got lost in the interpretation for me…

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I quit watching SNL years ago and cannot understand why it is still on the air.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Last night’s rerun with Dana Carvey was hysterical. Not much funnier than watching the Church Lady interviewing Kim Kardashian and Snooki, or “Celebrity Teen Crisis Center” with hilariously stupid celebrities like Ana Faris, Ice-T, and Eddie Murphy.

I love how it seems to be a conservative badge of honor not to ever watch anything on TV that is popular. And then you sit and wonder why certain people become celebrities and why someone like Sarah Palin gets turned into a national joke overnight. You may not like pop culture, but it determines a lot of your world. Not paying attention to it is the modern day equivalent of being a Luddite.

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Dana Carvey single handedly saved the entire season. He reminds us of what a talented cast is.

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Trump on FOX by phone now…

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

OK folks, I have to admit, I am not big on the abortion issue. I find abortion reprehensible and very tragic, but I don’t go out there and crusade against it. I just like to avoid the topic because I want to keep my focus on fighting big government. However, even I found that abortion reference extremely reprehensible last night and I was extremely offended.

I used to be pro choice because I grew up in a liberal household. I was also raised Methodist and they are becoming a very socially liberal and progressive denomination so I have not been active in the church for 3 decades. What changed my mind on this topic was actually listening to Dr. Laura before she was syndicated and was just on KFI radio in Los Angeles. She really drove home the point at how stupid it is to choose to abort an unwanted baby instead of giving it a loving home. When some woman said to her on the show, “but I could never give away this baby if it is born because it would break my heart”. Dr. Laura shot back and said, “so you will kill it now instead?” It was at that point that I realized that the “mass” that the left calls the embryo truly was a future human being. I used that same line on a girl I knew who was promiscuous and got pregnant through casual sex. She was shocked I said that at all as she had not considered it from that perspective. However, before she had to decide one way or the other, she miscarried.

OOOOH, Trump is on fox and friends this morning.

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

OH, good!
The Donald will be on F&F in the next segment.
Should be interesting, right when I have to leave for church.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Trump surprisingly civil…

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Strange.
I always thought the Zero’s game plan would be to release the BC which contained some embarrassing but not disqualifying element, as a way to gain sympathy. “Oh, they made poor Barry admit…” fill in the blank.
But no. They release this.
Now can someone clear this up. Is having his father a foreign national enough to disqualify his candidacy? In all I’ve read I’m still not sure I’ve heard a definitive answer.
Are they hoping that the blatant mockery heaped on Trump will scare away or delegitimize anyone from even asking this question?

PaddyJ on May 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

PaddyJ on May 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

No. Article II of the US Constitution says absolutely nothing about the citizenship of the parents.

anuts on May 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Recapping Trump, he was able to spin it and say that the festivities were a bit frivolous when we have all of these problems to face as a country.

F&F played Obama making pot shots at Trump, then brought Trump on the air via the phone.

F&F Q: Were you upset about those remarks or were you having a good time. It was hard to tell.

Trump: Well I really understood what I was getting into but I didn’t know I would be virtually the sole focus and I guess when you are leading in most of the polls that tends to happen. But I was certainly innocent in a way having a good time listening but I don’t think the American people were having a good time paying $5 for gasoline and their ?? prices doubling and all of the other problems that they’ve got and you look at what is happening with food. So you know I was thinking to myself as they were doing this that the American people are really suffering and we all are having a good time. I think it is inappropriate in certain respects. I thought that the delivery was good but I thought frankly Seth Meyers delivery was not good. He’s a stutterer and he really was having a hard time.

F&F Q: You have been spending a lot of time with these politicians in the Washington circles. What do you take away from it all.

Trump: Well it is interesting. You go to a certain level and you raise to a certain level, in this case the polls. And boy does the world come after you especially if you happen to be conservative. That was a largely liberal room, not entirely, but it was a press room. And I was a little bit surprised to see it. You have to understand that what I do and will do best is the economy. I will get China to change its ways and we have all of the cards and our politicians do not understand it. But we have all of the cards, they are making our products, they are rebuilding China on our backs. I will get OPEC to reduce prices and I will guarantee that they will seriously reduce prices. We have nobody that even talks to them. So, I really knew what I was getting into last night. I had no idea it would be to that extent where just joke after joke after joke. It was almost like is there anyone else they could talk about. So in a certain way I was honored. But again, the economy is having such a . . it’s going through such a traumatic period, I was thinking to myself that it just seemed inappropriate.

F&F Q: It did seem like an awful lot of jokes and Chris Wallace the host of FoxNews Sunday said he felt it was a few too many and perhaps a little mean. An interesting report has come out this morning that the Republicans want a wider field for the 2012 race. We know you won’t announce until the Apprentice show has come to an end and then you will make an official announcement. Do you feel that there is a lack of excitement by the current field, those who have officially declared that they will run for president, do they need republicans a wider field?

Trump: Well there certainly isn’t a lot of lack of excitement as you call it with respect to my candidacy I mean every time I go out, there’s hundreds of press and there’s people by the hundreds, and thousands. I make speeches tremendous crowds show up. I can’t speak for other the candidates because I don’t know what is happening but I will tell you that I landed in New Hampshire last week and it was unbelievable, the response. Of course I am not a traditional candidate, I am a businessman. A lot of politicians really don’t want to see an outsider come in. But it’s time maybe for an outsider to come in to stop the onslought of this country. People are destroying this country.

F&F Q: We put this out on twitter a little bit ago to ask questions for you and the criticism of course about the birth certificate thing and you are saying that you are concerned about the gas prices and the economy and obviously you made the birth certificate thing one of your, you brought quite a bit of light to that over the past. So is it hypocritical of you then to be talking about the plight of gas prices when you were the one rattling around the birth certificate thing. Weren’t you expecting those jokes to be flying.

Trump: Well I did expect jokes actually, I mean when I went there I expected that it wouldn’t just be a free evening. It wouldn’t be a nice evening with a free meal. But in fact I am very proud of what I did with respect to the birth certificate because I got Obama to give his birth certificate. Something which the Clinton’s couldn’t do, something which the Republicans in the last campaign couldn’t do, nobody could do it. I only ask why did it take so long, why did he wait years, 3 years. But I was the only one able to get him to produce it and I am very happy. The fact is that is not at all and has not been my main subject. My main subject is jobs, the economy, and stopping all of these countries that we deal with from just absolutely ripping us to shreds.

F&F Q: Asking why he used the F word.

Trump: It was a speech in Las Vegas in front of a rough group of folks, a great group of folks and I got standing ovations probably every 3 or 4 minutes. It was really well received. Some people don’t like it you know the fact is it is a word of emphasis with that group (chuckling) Probably I won’t do it anymore to be honest with you.

F&F Q: So you learned your lesson?

Trump: Will I will say this, when people see the real negotiation, the real negotiation, that will go on with China, with OPEC and others, that is very mild compared to what happens in a real room (you can hear the crew on the set laughing in the background) The problem we don’t have a real room because we have nobody that knows how to negotiate.

F&F Hosts: Donald Trump well thanks so much for joining us. What happens in Vegas certainly does not stay there.

Trump: Thanks so much

end

Sorry this took so long, I am running on fumes here, no sleep last night.

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM

My take.

kingsjester on May 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

kingsjester on May 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

You never quit trying do you?

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

You never quit trying do you?

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

You never went to Charm School, did you?

kingsjester on May 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM

KJ, decent summary of the evening that you wrote up.

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Thank you, ma’am.

kingsjester on May 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

You never quit trying do you?

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

How gratuitous…

Kingsjester, thanks for the good write up.

anuts on May 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

You never quit trying do you?

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

What’s your fricking problem? Is it always your time of month???

lovingmyUSA on May 1, 2011 at 10:16 AM

PaddyJ on May 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

In my opinion, it’s not clear. Natural born citizen is not defined in the Constitution. Most people think it merely requires one to be born on U.S. soil, and but some think it requires both parents to be U.S. citizens at the time of birth. I’ve seen authority supporting both positions, in the form of case law from lower courts, articles and writings from legal scholars. It has never been definitely decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

mbs on May 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

anuts on May 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Thanks!

kingsjester on May 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Hey Ed and AllahPundit, I found a story for you guys.

SoulGlo on May 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I see no difference between Leno and Letterboy, they are both elitist millionaire aholes. The same goes for the hosts of the shows that follow them.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I have never, since I was a kid, liked SNL.
I have never liked David Letterman.
I don’t like John Stewart of Colbert or any of those things.
Bcs they do not make me laugh.
I hated Mad TV.
That black comedian guy David Chappell I hate, too. He’s extremley stupid & not funny at all.
I never liked Dennis Miller’s humor very much until he changed. Now i find his sorta funny.
I think Bill Murray is funny 1/2 the time.
I don’t think most conservatives avoid those things on purpose.
I think most of us don’t watch them bcs they are garbage to us.
If SNL was as funny as shows like The Big Bang Theory, I’d watch it.
The Office? IMHO ridiculously UNFUNNY.
30 Rock? Retarded as hell. I do like Alec Baldwin tho. He is funny. But the rest of them suck.
So please pardon me for avoiding garbage I do not think is entertaining.
Bcs it isn’t bcs I’m trying to wear my avoidance like a badge of honor.
It’s just plain garbage to many of us.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

You never quit trying do you?

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

What is wrong with him giving his opinion on BO?
I think it’s just fine.
OK. Now go ahead & attack me.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Well i would agree that Leno’s a pi$$-poor substitute for Carson. I always loved that show.
But I don’t think he’s too bad.
I think it’s too bad they don’t hire somebody better.
And Conan sucks.
I started out liking the Scottish guy-WTHe”s his name?
But he went bad fast.
Probably the only one remotely amusing is the fat guy who had the Man Show.
I actually liked the man show sometimes.
Creepy. But funny.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

CSpan has thrown this up on youtube already.

cynccook on April 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Good Lord, the man can’t tell a few jokes without his teleprompters. What a sad excuse for a leader.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I love you B-40 but Alec Baldwin is as funny as a chapped @ss on a 12 day hike in the Grand Canyon.

darwin-t on May 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

So who does that leave? The comedian from Nebraska who’s made a fortune pretending to be a Southern redneck? “Small Wonder” reruns? Old Johnny Carson VHS tapes? Yakov Spinoff’s show in Branson?

YYZ on May 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

YYZ on May 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

It doesn’t have to leave anyont.

CWforFreedom on May 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

MooChelle looks ridiculous. Arms included.

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2011 at 9:26 PM

You are seriously obsessed with Michelle Obama aren’t you?. We get it, you don’t like her, you think she’s fat(she’s normal), and you think she is ugly.

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

While Obama’s most ardent followers slap their knees at his Trump jokes last night, their adoration will fail to allow them to understand that Obama elevated Trump last night to an equal of the president. Ignoring Trump, particularly when he was present, would have been a huge score for Obama, but attacking him from the bully pulpit, and then having his liberal surrogates pile on after him, makes the president look so small, so frightened, so petty, and ironically, so humorless.

So now the score is:

Trump 2, Obama 0

Rational Thought on May 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

YYZ on May 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I liked Gary Unmarried & that’s gone.
I like Rules of Engagement.
Old Christine creeps me out, but I think that black woman who is a crazy liberal beyotch is funny.
I also like Monty Python.
Personally tho, I don’t spend much time watching TV.
When I’m not at work, I’m usually outside working with my hubby on the ranch, riding my Red horse, canning food, cleaning, & just in general being outside.
Much better than sitting on my butt in the house watching TV.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM

darwin-t on May 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I’ve always liked his acting.
It’s just too bad he’s one of the world’s biggest D-bags.
So I don’t watch his stuff on purpose unless I see him while channel surfing my 25 channels.
And hey-I’ve had a chapped a$$ before & sometimes they are funny!

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Its Elitism. “I’m more conservative than you because I don’t watch TV and if I do its only Fox news because they aren’t lamestream media(which they are), don’t go to the movies because then I’d support Hollyweird, I don’t listen to music unless the artist is super-patriots and shoots guns, and everything else that I don’t like is trash because I’m a conservative and the rest of you are looooosers. “

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

So now the score is:

Trump 2, Obama 0

Rational Thought on May 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Bingo.
He’s a churlish baby.
He cold have been the better man & welcomed Trump without using the situation unfairly to humiliate him.
But we know that will never happen.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

It is elitism.
I sorta equate it to a nerd being mercilessly teased by the popular kids in school.
Their elitist event is prom.
The nerds hungers to be accepted & goes to prom.
Where he is mercilessly teased all over again.
Why the F$%^ go to prom in the 1st place?!
Why would you want to expose yourself to garbage at all?

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM

So now the score is:

Trump 2, Obama 0

Rational Thought on May 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Trump was shown to be the joke, liar and hypocrite that he is.

I feel bad for the other potentials. You guys seem really fickle. For the most part Liberals will remain loyal. Conservatives seem to migrate to the loudest one in the room and will abandon them and claim they are a RINO or weak as soon as a LOUDER one shows.

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I watched and I was shocked at how many jokes Obama made at Trumps’ expense. I expected a few shots, but not a tirade.

Stayin’ classy Barry.

Tim Zank on May 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

And let me clarify it is the elitism of liberals that pushes rotten programming in the 1st place.
As I said above, I don’t really make decisions to watch or not watch something based on how ‘conservative’ it is.
I don’t like garbage.
And so far, most of the liberal-based programming on TV is garbage.
I do not like it at all.
It’s trash IMHO.
If there are conservatives who wish to go to the prom to watch themselves get hammered by the popular kids, then by all means go.
But you won’t see me there.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Trump was shown to be the joke, liar and hypocrite that he is.

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

You are missing the point here.
Obama as the POTUS took advantage of the situation & humiliated a private citizen in public mercilessly.
It was overkill.
It was petty & uncalled for.
Trump is an a$$.
I know people who are a$$-holes.
Never would I take advantage of a situation & pile on to humiliate them.
That makes me an a$$ if I were to do that.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I believe that the term is “thick as thieves”.

darwin-t on May 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I repeat:

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM

the whole Real American thing they ran with the Birth Certificate…just so dumb…Obama wears it like a badge of courage…he never wanted to give it up, so the only thing he could do is slam Trump–payback.

Also, joking about something that was a serious issue reminds me of when Bush made a joke about trying to find WMD…he did a slide show and there was a picture of him looking under a couch…our soldiers died and the writers think its funny to joke about it…

They are all a bunch of arrogant, elitist low-lifes.

joepub on May 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Trump was shown to be the joke, liar and hypocrite that he is.

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

So many targets, so little time.

1) Trump won; Obama lost. All Barry has now is ridicule, and voters don’t vote for the most sarcastic guy.
2) “Liberals remain loyal” — When people remain loyal to politicians who are destroying the country because of party loyalty, blind ideology has trumped reason, or even self-interest. Such people are dangerous and give comfort to political leaders with tendencies toward less freedom for the citizenry rather than more.
3) “I feel bad(ly) for the other potentials” — I, and most others here, recognize that Trump isn’t so much running for president as much as he is running Obama out of office. One needs to be loud to puncture the main stream media Maginot line that protects Obama day in and day out. And Trump has indeed punctured it. The nation’s interest in Trump right now is due to his fearless attacks on a president who deserves it, not his potential candidacy for president.
4) “You guys seem really fickle” — Since so few have declared their candidacy on the GOP side, how can one possibly be fickle? Get back to “us guys” after the GOP debates.

Rational Thought on May 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Excellent points, Badger40!

ladyingray on May 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

This.

IrishEi on May 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

You never quit trying do you?

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

So, smart-ass, what have you done lately?

(Besides sit on the sidelines and snipe incessantly, of course.)

hillbillyjim on May 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Oh, for crying out loud. Grow up, people.

This is DONALD TRUMP you’re talking about. Not Sarah Palin. Not Michelle Bachmann. Not Herman Cain. Donald Trump. It’s as if all he had to do was snap his fingers, say some critical stuff about President Obama, and suddenly he’s above criticism ’round these parts.

Donald Trump! Unbelievable.

YYZ on May 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

(Besides sit on the sidelines and snipe incessantly, of course.)

hillbillyjim on May 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

That’s all he’s got…

ladyingray on May 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

This also tells how much damage Trump really did to Obama.

the_nile on April 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Yessir, that’s the take-away message, isn’t it.

petefrt on May 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Trump is not a Republican nor is a Conservative. It suits the President to have Trump represent Republicans and Conservatives because he is a joke and many Conservatives also seem to be falling for the joke. It is better for the President to be confronted for real issues rather than the dross that Trump uses. As long as the Trump BS bandwagon is rolling along the American public will not hear serious, thoughtful conservative views on important topics.

Obama wants Trump to run against. It’s up to the Conservative and Republican rank and file to decide if Obama’s wish will come true.

lexhamfox on May 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Obummer had to stoop to making jokes about a cartoon figure like Donald Trump. It would have been like Bush telling jokes about Michael Moore. If anything, it makes Obummer look small, so we should be happy it went like it did.

Speedwagon82 on May 1, 2011 at 12:13 PM

The birth video rocked, the joke is on Obama and he is too vain to get it.

“The Lyin’ King”

LA Conservative on May 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Politico actually asked if the “Real American” video montage of 80′s cultural iconography was making fun of patriotism. I don’t think so, I think it was jokingly targeting people overly nostalgic for the Reagan/Bush era. Though there were images in there not from that era which does make you wonder what the thinking was.

karlant on May 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

The thing about Trump is he’s been the source of jokes for comedians since the late 1970s, first in the New York City area, then elsewhere as he took his act national. He’s provided a ton of material over the previous 30-plus years, so jokes at the expense of The Donald are nothing new.

That said, the difference between the first 32-or-so years of Trump comedy and what happened at the dinner was the tone. Comedy at the expense of The Donald before now tended to take on a bemused, semi-incredulous tone, as in “I can’t believe he has the huevos to go out there and make a fool of himself in public.” They loved him as a source of comedy, but they didn’t want Trump to go away.

Last night was different. These were the type of jokes that are designed to make Trump slink away from the political arena under threat of having his public image destroyed, because he hit a sore spot with one of the big media’s sacred cows (defaulting on loans or using eminent domain laws to force owners off their property didn’t stir an base-level animus within the media in the past, because who cares about a bunch of bankers or some home or small business owners? Not this time when Obama’s the target). And it would be interesting to find out if the people at the Washington Post who invited Trump to the dinner knew what the jokes would be in advance, and basically set him up to be humiliated in public.

Saturday’s jokes have to be taken in hand with last week’s comments by Obama supporters in the media and entertainment world charging him with being a racist for his efforts to force the release of the president’s birth certificate and then his college records. Trump’s had bad press before, but never viciously bad press of the type that Reagan, GWB and Palin have experienced. It will be interesting to see if he still shows the same sort of willingness to take it right back at Obama and his supporters, now that he’s had a warning shot fired across his bow that if he keeps it up, he’ll soon be made into the third Koch brother by the media.

jon1979 on May 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM

So Trump fails to meet the standard for the ideal “Republican/Conservative candidate”? And there’s no chance he could have reached a “John Galt” awareness. You former liberals like myself who have become conservatives are not allowed to do that. You can’t become a Republican. You once demonstrated against the Vietnam war and did everything you could possible do (like I did) to avoid the draft. How dare you start talking like a conservative. You just have to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. We are not going to give you a chance to continue to speak out against Barack Odogma’s efforts to destroy the American way of life through lies and underhanded tactics. We have it on record that you gave in excess of $1 to a Democrat for God’s sake. Damn You!!! We prefer to stick to our luke warm/wimpy/shrill sounding candidates rather than give you the opportunity to continue to speak out and appear in debates to see how effective you are. After all, fair and balanced is over rated.

wtng2fish on May 1, 2011 at 12:55 PM

donald:2/ obama:0
SNL is the worst show on television since after the Adam Sandler class graduated or died.
That one guy who has a late night show tries to do Adam Sandler’s shtick, but can’t even do that right. He’s so boring I don’t even care to look up his name.
Saw that Dana Carvey was listed to host SNL last night so I gave it a chance and not even he or anybody else is going to save it. It’s terrible.

unlisted on May 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

unlisted on May 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Yeah, I don’t know how people can watch SNL post Sandler/Farley…

It’s truly horrible.

The fact that Loren Michaels put Jimmy Fallon or Seth Meyers on TV shows he gave up.

tetriskid on May 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM

unlisted on May 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I liked Sandler & Farley 1/2 the time.
1/2 the time they were funny. Other half not funny.
Like Tommy Boy. I hated it.
But loved the Wedding Singer.
Hated Little Nicky.
Liked 50 First Dates.
I mean armpit humor is funny, but not all of the time bcs they go too far & it’s just stupid.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM

It’s just plain garbage to many of us.

Badger40 on May 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Well said…
And fwiw, I never found Chevy Chase or Gilda Radner all that funny.

OmahaConservative on May 1, 2011 at 1:47 PM

At a comedy roast the roastee is allowed to speak last and it well-prepared with comeback comments. In this case, Trump was not allowed an equal forum.

I have mixed feelings about Donald Trump but this was just plain wrong.

jtdavies on May 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Also Will Ferrell’s impersonation of W were very funny to me.
But of course, they can’t do anything with Obama? That would be wrong. /sarc
Talentless hacks.

unlisted on May 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Yeah, I don’t know how people can watch SNL post Sandler/Farley…

It’s truly horrible.

tetriskid on May 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The problem SNL will always have is that by direction they have already discounted at least 49% of the comedy potential in the news. Since their comedy is largely political or political/cultural, that leaves them crippled from the opening skit.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Thanks, karen, for the transcript. I caught the tail-end of it this morning and couldn’t wait to find out the rest.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Besides sit on the sidelines and snipe incessantly, of course.)

hillbillyjim on May 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

That’s all he’s got…

ladyingray on May 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Sorry guy&gal – have better things to do than spend an incredible amount of time stalking numerous threads and meticulously rechecking them to make see if anyone has read my comment, quoting fox news and Rush talking points, and on top of all that trying to get people to pay homage to a cheesy personal blog.

There is a big world of real people out there – step away from the keyboard and experience it once in awhile….

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 6:45 PM

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Why not just “I have about 200+ things that I like to do than sit on my arse watching TeeVee”.

It could be just that simple. Why be so defensive?

kim roy on May 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM

So now the score is:

Trump 2, Obama 0

Rational Thought on May 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Trump was shown to be the joke, liar and hypocrite that he is.

Magnus on May 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Let me help you out here since you seem to be willfully ignoring what’s being and has been said here:

No one’s that thrilled with Trump save a few. A lot of us, however, are enjoying the fact that he can’t be silenced and is taking some potshots at Obama. Never mistake that enjoyment to actually *ENDORSING* the man.

Understood? Please read it a couple of times if need be.

The other complaint which seems to have you confused, is that a lot of people while they dislike Obama to varying degrees (personally I loathe him), they hold the *OFFICE* of the POTUS in regard and are dismayed at the behavior of the resident thereof last night. It was unbecoming and childish and his behavior represented the entire population.

Please don’t confuse the two. They are two different things.

Hope that cleared up some of the confusion you were having.

kim roy on May 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Oh, for crying out loud. Grow up, people.

Donald Trump! Unbelievable.

YYZ on May 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

See my previous two post plus let me add another name “Joe the Plumber”. This is what happens when someone criticizes or asks the wrong question. I’d guess everything I own that this is what people are reacting to, not The Donald. There’s a message being given here by the media and Obama administration. Quit being so thick.

So many willfully ignorant people. It’s frightening.

kim roy on May 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Bradky on May 1, 2011 at 6:45 Pm

My cheesy personal blog has had 55,000 hits in this past year and 300 today and counting. That’s another thing you’re wrong about.

kingsjester on May 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM

After watching the routine from Snippy McTeleprompter, I have a newfound respect for The Situation’s performance at the CC Trump roast.

sulla on May 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM

rockmom on May 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Some, maybe, but it just may be that most of these shows Conservatives just don’t find funny, and part of it could be that the politics of the actors turns us off once we find out. Looking at Badger40′s posts, I agree with her on the majority of her likes/dislikes, but not all.

For instance, Bill Murray and George Carlin never got a dime from me. I was in the Army, but thought Stripes was really sickening because I always found Bill Murray to be just a smartass, but most of the guys liked it. Found Sgt. Bilko to be pretty funny, though I’ve never really liked Steve Martin. Couldn’t sit through more than five minutes of one episode of Mork and Mindy-Robin Williams, to me, is repulsive and unfunny.

However, I love Sam Kinison…I find his comedy to be hilarious, though it probably turns off the Moral Majority.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Oh, for crying out loud. Grow up, people.

Donald Trump! Unbelievable.

YYZ on May 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

You know what’s more unbelievable? It’s that you aren’t apprehending the weightiest topic of the night, which would be the explanation behind why 0bamessiah and his minions dished out what they would never tolerate being directed at 0bamessiah Himself. You don’t understand the psychology of Leftists, who are invariably cowardly passive-aggressives, do you?

Trump is a big boy who can handle the mockery. That, or at least shouldn’t be, anyone’s focus. Unlike Trump, 0bamessiah isn’t a big boy, He’s a prissy, snobby little girl who can’t handle being made fun of if the ridicule is too vicious and outside of His control, which is why He unmasculinely allowed the focus of the savagery to be someone other than Himself. He’s a bad-humored, complete loser, as are his die-hard supporters.

If you don’t realize what the intended goal of the “humorous” attacks on Trump was, you’re not very observant/worldly. If you do realize what the goal of those attacks was, and you don’t care and/or you support it, it communicates where your sympathies lie.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 2, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Vincenzo on May 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I disagree that it was a smart, funny joke. How can a “joke” really be a good one if its end is not humor, but derisive propaganda instead?

If 0bamessiah had allowed Himself to be included in the joke about Trump as well, say, by showing footage of Himself making His NCAA basketball picks, golfing, or appearing on Oprah, I’d agree with you that it would have been funny. Alas, a partisan like 0bamessiah, who cares far more about putting down his opposition than he does humor, wasn’t up to the task.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 2, 2011 at 2:09 AM

…if its primary end is not…

FIFM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 2, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Let’s just face the truth, Michelle Obama is James Brown in drag

PJ Emeritus on May 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Doesn’t everybody know that Liberals lack a sense of humor?

Liberals are also severely irony-impaired.

QED: All of the shows written by and/or staffed by Liberals are chronically un-funny.

landlines on May 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM