Video: Romney’s message to NRA gets lukewarm reception

posted at 10:02 pm on April 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Freedom’s Lighthouse and Politico, a little weekend-starting fun for the Mitt-haters among the HA faithful to enjoy.

Mitt Romney’s pre-recorded video greeting for the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting received a lukewarm response here Friday, a reminder of his weakness on an issue important to the Republican base that at times dogged his 2008 campaign…

Unlike tea party favorite Michele Bachmann, who also sent a pre-recorded video message, his two-minute spiel was not interrupted by applause…

At this point in the last cycle—April 2007—Romney skipped the NRA’s meeting in St. Louis. His opponents faulted him then for purchasing a “lifetime” NRA membership only the previous August.

During that campaign clips emerged from his failed 1994 run for the U.S. Senate in which he had signaled support for the assault rifle ban and the Brady gun control measure.

Laugh now, because we all know that if he’s the nominee, we’ll go to war for him in the name of defeating Obama. Elsewhere at the convention, NRA chief Wayne LaPierre is set to publicly call for Eric Holder’s resignation tomorrow over the feds’ moronic gunwalking policy towards Mexico. And elsewhere in the 2012 field, Mitt’s nemesis appears to be tantalizingly close to a run…

The shape of the Republican presidential race depends on Mike Huckabee. The primary season will be one kind of contest with the former Arkansas governor in the race, and another without him. With Huckabee, the race would feature a favorite of social conservatives in a leading role in a campaign likely to focus on economic issues. Without him, a more economic-minded candidate might lead, with several other candidates vying for what would have been Huckabee’s social-conservative spot.

Which will it be? These days, among the people who have known and worked with Huckabee, there is a growing sense that he’s leaning toward another run for the White House.

I’ve read half a dozen pieces saying the same thing this week; there’s another one today at CNN quoting one of his top SC operatives as saying Huck’s telling people to keep their powder dry just a bit longer. Another sources close to Huck tells Politico, “He’s genuinely undecided but I think moving toward running.” Imagine it: Palin joins Barbour in sitting out the election but Daniels jumps in, joining Mitt and Pawlenty as rivals for the centrist-y vote. Huck sweeps to victory in Iowa, then capitalizes on the three-way split among the centrists to claim South Carolina before riding the momentum to a stunning upset in Florida. And then, before you know it, the race is over and we have our nominee. Can you feel it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Because he is a lukewarm person. Kind of like you are a lukewarm blogger.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Huckafever!

Rocks on April 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Romney better get used to it, he’ll be getting a good many more lukewarm receptions.

rightwingyahooo on April 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Because he is a lukewarm person. Kind of like you are a lukewarm blogger.

Sweet.

Allahpundit on April 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I believe Herman Cain gave the keynote in person. Anybody got a link?

knob on April 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Sweet.

Allahpundit on April 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Just a joke Allah. We all love you. Most of us.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM

A profoundly depressing thought.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

If Huck wins the GOP nomination I will not vote for POTUS. He is worse than McCain, in many ways.

He reminds me a lot of Lindsey Graham, and I would never help him win office, either.

rightwingyahooo on April 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

… we’ll go to war for him in the name of defeating Obama.

Hell yeah.

Tony737 on April 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Mitt Romney is amazing!

I don’t know anyone else who can say things I agree with in such a boring fashion that I feel like I am in danger of slipping into a coma.

sharrukin on April 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I think they’re being too hard on him. After all, he’s been an NRA lifetime member forev…

Oh, wait.

Slublog on April 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM

If Huck does run then Conan O’Brien needs to let Arsenio hall guest host for 1 night so Huck can come on and play bass.

Rocks on April 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Meh.
Is Mittens still running?
Seriously?

OmahaConservative on April 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I’d rather have Mitt than Huck, although…..zzzzzzzz

rightwingyahooo on April 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I don’t hate Mitt. In fact, I accept him just as he is — a RINO candy-ass.

Terrie on April 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM

*golf clap*

powerpro on April 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM

O/T

BannishMentGate
=================

Drudge

SF CHRONICLE: WH LYING
———————-

Update:
********

Chronicle responds after Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia, then claims they didn’t
April 28 2011 at 04:48 PM
***************************

Update: In a pants-on-fire moment, the White House press office today denied anyone there had issued threats to remove Carla Marinucci and possibly other Hearst reporters from the press pool covering the President in the Bay Area.

Chronicle editor Ward Bushee called the press office on its fib:

Sadly, we expected the White House to respond in this manner based on our experiences yesterday. It is not a truthful response. It follows a day of off-the-record exchanges with key people in the White House communications office who told us they would remove our reporter, then threatened retaliation to Chronicle and Hearst reporters if we reported on the ban, and then recanted to say our reporter might not be removed after all.

The Chronicle’s report is accurate.

If the White House has indeed decided not to ban our reporter, we would like an on-the-record notice that she will remain the San Francisco print pool reporter.

I was on some of those calls and can confirm Ward’s statement.

Messy ball now firmly in White House court.
(more………….)

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Romney’s had his 15 minutes.

GarandFan on April 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Mitt Romney is amazing!

sharrukin on April 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Love it!

Does this mean you will be as comfortable — i.e., in your hospital gown — with Pawlenty or Daniels?

Terrie on April 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Remingtons For Romney!!

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Just like we went to war for McCain.

Valiant on April 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Rugers For Romney!

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Mauser`s for Mittens!

Er,wait,thats nonsensical me thinks!!(sarc).

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Once huck makes up his mind Palin jumps in. Bank on it.

unseen on April 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM

In other words, KMA.

GrannyDee on April 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Don’t take that for granted, Stud. If the GOP can’t put anything on the ballot other another damned RINO, I think you may be stunned at the number of us who have previous engagements on the first Tuesday of November 2012. I’ve fought this battle for over 50 years and I’m tired of hearing from Country Club RINOs how a “Conservative just can’t win nationwide”. If I’m given the choice between NationalSocialists at the DNC who want to turn this country into The Peoples Democratic Republic of the United States in 30 days or less, or the RINOs who are happy if it takes 90 days, I really don’t have any reason to waste my time at the polls.

Sorry about urinating in your Wheaties on a Friday night, but I’m tired of trying to save idiots from themselves.

oldleprechaun on April 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Hey can anyone hear that man speak and find anything human about it?

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM

A lukewarm reception, from a lukewarm organization.

The NRA is the gun manufacturers’ lobby. You want an organization that will stand up for your absolute right to possess and carry firearms… support the Gun Owners of America.

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

When he was the Bay State gov., he did nothing to repeal the onerous I.D. law.

Foneee.

And I voted for him. What a disappointment he was.

FOWG1 on April 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Because he is a lukewarm person. Kind of like you are a lukewarm blogger.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Lukewarm, Chamberlin-esque, candy-ass, RINO…

4 sides: A perfect square.

SouthernGent on April 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM

at least he turned his cell phone off…

clement on April 29, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Didn’t the NRA support ‘Pinky’ Reid?

darwin-t on April 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Terrie on April 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Yeah, they all pretty much strike me as clones made in the same GOP candidate factory.

sharrukin on April 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Can you feel it?

Oh yeah, I can feel it, just like a root canal.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM

=========================================================

AP,this nightmare scene,might as well be a scene from
the Warrior Movie………………….

‘Can You Dig IT’,ummmm………..NO:)
==========================================

The Warriors (A must see movie)
********************************

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Because he is a lukewarm person. Kind of like you are a lukewarm blogger.
Sweet.

Allahpundit on April 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Lukewarm I am your father……

/Mitt

William Amos on April 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

We don’t hate. We object to his policies, like Obama’s.

Kini on April 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Lukewarm I am your father……

/Mitt

William Amos on April 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

lol

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Meh.

Philly on April 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Remingtons For Romney!!

Rugers For Romney!

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM

A lot of those were here today along with many smiling faces. No matter how you spin it, it’s just not a Mitt kind of crowd.

reddevil on April 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I haven’t seen such an exciting Presidential Candidate since Pat Paulsen passed away (God rest his soul).

kingsjester on April 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Sorry to disappoint but I only vote for 2nd amendment supporters. If Obama goes after the 2nd amendment then the Right will be more united in opposition, verses if Romney does it then we’ll have a lot of RINO’s going along with it too.

I think progressives will make more progress under Romney than they would under Obama. Obama is a safer vote than Romney or Trump or another progressive RINO.

Before anybody lectures me about how I’m a bad Republican, I’m not a Republican at all. I hate big government progressives and I don’t care what letter they have next to their name.

FloatingRock on April 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM

F-Troop 2012!

infidel4life on April 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM

kingsjester on April 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM

If nominated, I will not run.
If elected, I will not serve.

Kini on April 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I suppose if he ripped a couple of pistols from his hostlers and performed a few twirling tricks while railing against those slant-eyed Chinese mofos, they’d have given him a standing-o.

Geez …not everyone can be Chuck Heston yannow.

The Ugly American on April 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Kini on April 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM

He was a funny man.

kingsjester on April 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Brian1972 on April 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, blah blah blah…. YAWN,,, didn’t we do this already in 2008? Huck and Mitt 2.0 are pretty much like Huck and Mitt 1.0

maineconservative on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Dole/McCain ’12!

FloatingRock on April 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I’m not impressed with single issue groups that will support some leftist who will sell the country down the river…but yay, we get to keep our guns….for now

r keller on April 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Oh, no. Really? The guy who coined the phrase “weapons of unusual lethality”(like a 9mm bullet fire from an MP5 is somehow deadlier than when it’s fired from a Glock 23) isn’t getting open arms from the NRA?

Boo frickin’ hoo.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

If he’s the nominee, I’m getting high and watching the fireworks. F**k the war.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Mitt Romney is amazing!

sharrukin on April 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Zzzz-Paw?

Dongemaharu on April 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Well, imagine that? Allahpundit trashes Mitt Romney. Again.

Predictable.

Eichendorff on April 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Yes, I certainly will. I’m a southerner. “Lost cause” is in my DNA.

pseudoforce on April 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Zzzz-Paw?

Dongemaharu on April 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM

He doesn’t often say much I agree with, but yeah he’s as boring as unsalted rice cakes.

We are so screwed.

sharrukin on April 29, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Yeah. Disaster.

pseudoforce on April 29, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Rugers For Romney!

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM
================

reddevil on April 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM

reddevil:I was a 2008 MittBot,not now,GOP needs new blood,
the stakes,can’t get any higher!

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Dole/McCain ’12!

FloatingRock on April 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

FloatingRock:Le Bingo…*Sigh*!:)

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Well, imagine that? Allahpundit trashes Mitt Romney. Again.

Predictable.

Eichendorff on April 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Good f’n grief. Half the time people claim Allah’s a Romney fan. Make up your minds, people.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 11:03 PM

The tieless “I’m a Syrian falafel vendor” look is so cool on an American millionaire.

Street cred!

‘Would you like some cous-cous with that?”

profitsbeard on April 29, 2011 at 11:04 PM

If Republicans nominate another establishment socialist, they might as well be “honest” and do it with the Obama middle finger on the cheek — renominate McCain.

The base is smarter than the average liberal, the country is in dire shape, and no telling how bad it will be in 2012. Romney = RomneyCare = Obama.

If they do this, there will be a fracture, and the consequences won’t be as predictable as Bush 1 – Clinton – Perot.

Feedie on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Lukewarm I am your father……

/Mitt

William Amos on April 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

LOL!

Zing.

Lukewalk Floorwalker, jaded knight, wielding light mittens.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Huck sweeps to victory in Iowa…South Carolina…Florida. And…before you know it…we have our nominee.
Can you feel it?

What I feel is that he is going to have a hard time sweeping past the after-Huck-pardon quadruple cop killing by Maurice Clemmons.

eeyore on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

reddevil on April 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Romney reminds me more and more of Bush Sr. as time goes by.

pseudoforce on April 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 11:03 PM

AllahP can’t win. But it gives hip legitimacy to his eeyore attitude. AP and his ever-unsatisfied customers are co-dependent like that.

alwaysfiredup on April 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM

eeyore on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Yes, Parolabee will gain immense traction by promising to do for terrorists what he did for prisoners.

Feedie on April 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Lukewarm I am your father……

/Mitt

William Amos on April 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

OMG…lol!

SouthernGent on April 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I’ll vote third party before I vote for Obama-Lite. 4 to 8 years of this left wing idiot only to have someone even more left wing with a D next to their name take his place? No thanks.

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

While I like the sentiment they don’t have near the power, influence and resources of the NRA and the NRA has done a lot for gun owners.

SnakeintheGrass on April 29, 2011 at 11:20 PM

AllahP can’t win.
alwaysfiredup on April 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Isn’t that the idea? :-)

Feedie on April 29, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I will go to war to get a mop wearing a tie to defeat Obama. But not Donald Trump. Or Mike Huckabee. Mitt, I might not to to all out war for, but I would probably get a little pissy for.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Mitt “I Love Massachusetts Gun Control Laws” Romney speaking at the NRA convention is like Ralph Nader giving the keynote address at the annual Corvair Owners Association meeting.

Bruce MacMahon on April 29, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I dropped out of the NRA after they sent me a letter asking me to vote for 2 democrats.

Kjeil on April 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

What? The NRA has over 4.3 million members, including myself and most of the members of my family. Although I do wish we owned a manufacturing business, I can assure you that we do not.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Colts for Cain.

Springfields for Sarah.

knob on April 29, 2011 at 11:58 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No Huckbeeeaaaaaaaaaa

TimeTraveler on April 30, 2011 at 12:14 AM

No, but this segment of your piece made me hurl… and will force me to stay home on election day.

davek70 on April 30, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Romney doesn’t excite me in the least and I certainly won’t vote for him in the primary — however, if he is the GOP’s ultimate nominee I will vote for him without hesitation. As someone stated above, if he is the alternative to Obama, there can be no other response. Staying home isn’t an option. If Obama wins a second term, America as we know it is gone forever.

hachiban on April 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Huck sweeps to victory in Iowa, then capitalizes on the three-way split among the centrists to claim South Carolina before riding the momentum to a stunning upset in Florida. And then, before you know it, the race is over and we have our nominee. Can you feel it? Allahpundit on April 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm

This is an epic post indeed, historical!

apacalyps on April 30, 2011 at 12:28 AM

No, I’m not going to fight to replace an incompetent leftist with a competent sociopath.

Scrutineer on April 30, 2011 at 12:33 AM

yawn…

apacalyps on April 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Romney is another do-anything to get nominated cipher. I do not trust this late-convert to our cause.

Mitt is the pits.
Huck is better.
West is best.

Time to recruit the warrior.

StubbleSpark on April 30, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Perhaps.

But I’m going to war to make sure he, nor any other candyass RINO, doesn’t even get close to being that nominee.

Rebar on April 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM

He is off the team.

pat on April 30, 2011 at 1:05 AM

The rumors about Huckabee running are BS and media propaganda.

Mike and his wife Janet are going on an Alaskan cruise in the second week of June and he has already said he will not make any decision on running until the LATTER PART OF SUMMER.

These rumors are designed to stop Palin from running, but she is smart enough to know the lay of the land.

technopeasant on April 30, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Huck-a-phony would want to drive Obama’s cadillac government, not downsize it. Oh my, is that racist?

exdeadhead on April 30, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I thought the NRA was riddled with lefties? Didn’t they donate to numerous democrat candidates and everyone was up and arms over it not that long ago?

Blake on April 30, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I love when Mitt is so off the cuff. There is no ad-libbing in this, It was a speech straight from the polls heart. I havent seen a guy read his speech so well since…O’My

The whole “Laugh now, because we all know that if he’s the nominee, we’ll go to war for him in the name of defeating Obama” Allah shows who hes in the tank for. Romugly.

Allah is there such love by you for Palin? Trump? or any nominee? Or can you muster a if shes the nominee we will go to war for her? I’m gonna guess your answer is she hasnt entered the race yet.

Gedge on April 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM

I would like to see a Daniels/Cain ticket, though a Daniels/Barbour ticket is more likely. Looking at this field, I feel that is the best bet for both winning and reliable reform.

Daemonocracy on April 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Guns are a major issue due to the sea change in American’s perceptions on firearms ownership and self-protection. For decades the more gun laws Progressives have been losing that battle, joined under FDR, and now there are States looking to get rid of federal interference in the most basic right of individuals securing themselves, their property and supporting their States during times of invasion or Danger which will not admit delay. Across all demographics, all age groups, all ethnicities there is a recognition of the basic right to keep and bear arms without the intrusion of the federal government, just like it says in the 2nd Amendment. I trust my fellow citizens and neighbors far more than the BATFE in ever so distant DC looking to undermine our rights, our border and our security all at one go.

Thus I have problems with this:

Who I vote for depends upon the candidate’s proposed policies and their past record. I will not vote for Obama, but that does not mean that a ‘lesser of two evils’ Progressive Republican gets my vote, either. Our decline in safety, liberty and security are coming due TO the federal government, not due to LACK of it. If it comes down to it I will do as JQA advised and vote the right way, as is my duty as a citizen. It will not matter if those I support win or lose, I will have done my DUTY to this nation as a citizen.

No more pacts with lesser evils.

I will not vote for evil in any way, shape or form.

I do not want to go down the road to Hell quickly, nor slowly nor at all, yet that is the path that evil gets us. I will not vote for that as it leads to no good ends at all.

ajacksonian on April 30, 2011 at 7:50 AM

If the GOP and Allahpundit thinks everyone is going to jump in to defeat Obama no matter who the candidate then there is a rude awakening coming. More people than you imagine will sit on their hands rather than expend an effort on a social democratic Republican. We should bust our chops to elect Democrat Lite? If the nation is inevitably going to go down the tubes at least let the donkeys take the blame.

Viator on April 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I once3 worked for a man that the newpapers described as a man who could -”change his philosphy with ease.”
I asked him to his face if he wasn’t embarassed by such an observation, and he said not at all, it showed he was “flexible.”

Word for word -that describes Mitt Romney and a large portion of the GOP. I’ll sit home -because the commies have won it anyway, if that’s the best the opposition cares to produce.

Don L on April 30, 2011 at 8:41 AM

If either Romney or Huckabee is the Republican nominee we’re beyond screwed. We’re seriously f**ked.

single stack on April 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Mauser`s Mousers for Mittens?

canopfor on April 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Fallon on April 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Mike Huckabee is the key note speaker at the NRA event tonight. You can catch the live stream at 7:30 pm

texasconserv on April 30, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Ummm…No I won’t.

King of the Britons on April 30, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Mitt Romney became pro-life when it suited him too. But you can bet the rent, if it comes down to Mitt and Hussein in 12, I’ll be pulling the lever for Mitt. There really is no choice.

abcurtis on April 30, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Imagine it: Obama and Huckabee splitting the socialist vote and a third party candidate sweeping in for the victory? Or not – we’d probably just end up with Obama as president again because I’m not voting for a socialist.

besser tot als rot on April 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM

On the other hand, after 40 years or so of supporting the Republicans, I’ve watched the country steadily but swiftly decline. Not a single item of the liberal agenda has been over turned but instead liberalism has increased and become entrenched. So what is it about the Republicans that makes me think they can or will save America? Maybe there’s not one iota of difference between Republicans and Democrats.

abcurtis on April 30, 2011 at 9:47 AM