Video: Romney’s message to NRA gets lukewarm reception

posted at 10:02 pm on April 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Freedom’s Lighthouse and Politico, a little weekend-starting fun for the Mitt-haters among the HA faithful to enjoy.

Mitt Romney’s pre-recorded video greeting for the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting received a lukewarm response here Friday, a reminder of his weakness on an issue important to the Republican base that at times dogged his 2008 campaign…

Unlike tea party favorite Michele Bachmann, who also sent a pre-recorded video message, his two-minute spiel was not interrupted by applause…

At this point in the last cycle—April 2007—Romney skipped the NRA’s meeting in St. Louis. His opponents faulted him then for purchasing a “lifetime” NRA membership only the previous August.

During that campaign clips emerged from his failed 1994 run for the U.S. Senate in which he had signaled support for the assault rifle ban and the Brady gun control measure.

Laugh now, because we all know that if he’s the nominee, we’ll go to war for him in the name of defeating Obama. Elsewhere at the convention, NRA chief Wayne LaPierre is set to publicly call for Eric Holder’s resignation tomorrow over the feds’ moronic gunwalking policy towards Mexico. And elsewhere in the 2012 field, Mitt’s nemesis appears to be tantalizingly close to a run…

The shape of the Republican presidential race depends on Mike Huckabee. The primary season will be one kind of contest with the former Arkansas governor in the race, and another without him. With Huckabee, the race would feature a favorite of social conservatives in a leading role in a campaign likely to focus on economic issues. Without him, a more economic-minded candidate might lead, with several other candidates vying for what would have been Huckabee’s social-conservative spot.

Which will it be? These days, among the people who have known and worked with Huckabee, there is a growing sense that he’s leaning toward another run for the White House.

I’ve read half a dozen pieces saying the same thing this week; there’s another one today at CNN quoting one of his top SC operatives as saying Huck’s telling people to keep their powder dry just a bit longer. Another sources close to Huck tells Politico, “He’s genuinely undecided but I think moving toward running.” Imagine it: Palin joins Barbour in sitting out the election but Daniels jumps in, joining Mitt and Pawlenty as rivals for the centrist-y vote. Huck sweeps to victory in Iowa, then capitalizes on the three-way split among the centrists to claim South Carolina before riding the momentum to a stunning upset in Florida. And then, before you know it, the race is over and we have our nominee. Can you feel it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If libs relished the idea of ridiculing a Repub candidate with a Mississippi drawl like Barbour can you imagine their delight in getting a candidate from Arkansas with a Git-Fiddle and a sermon? Fellow conservatives the message is go with the fighter and don’t let the liberal media scare you with their ridicule. Now let’s concentrate on finding a Fighter!

Herb on April 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

The NRA is the gun manufacturers’ lobby. You want an organization that will stand up for your absolute right to possess and carry firearms… support the Gun Owners of America.

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

What? The NRA has over 4.3 million members, including myself and most of the members of my family. Although I do wish we owned a manufacturing business, I can assure you that we do not.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I won’t join either of them. The NRA supports Harry Reid and the GOA supports “Net Neutrality”.

besser tot als rot on April 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Now let’s concentrate on finding a Fighter!

Herb on April 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Ooh! Ooh! *waving hand in air*

I found TWO!

Palin/West 2012

Fallon on April 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Poor Aquafresh Romney struck out…again.

mizflame98 on April 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Typical comment on Hot Air:

“I am not voting for a third party because they cannot win.”
“A vote for a third party is a vote for Obabma”
“We have to support (insert lame RINO name here) so we can defeat Obama”

If free men who love liberty vote for candidates who love liberty, we wouldn’t have this problem. I know that I will never, ever, ever, vote for a Romney, Huckabee, Pawlenty, McCain, Dole, etc. If the Republican party stands for milquetoast, mealy mouthed moderates, then they don’t deserve my vote. Plain and simple.

King of the Britons on April 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Hear, hear!
If we get another RINO or a dirtbag like Huck for a nominee I’ll vote third party just like I did whenever a Bush ran.

single stack on April 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Laugh now, because we all know that if he’s the nominee

No WE DON’T know he’s the nominee! I would not vote for this RINO if he paid me! Romney is a leftest in Rep. clothing, and a clown!

Confederate on April 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM

“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”
-John Quincy Adams

Any vote is between you and your conscience.

I will not unite behind a lesser evil to ‘win’ when I can and will vote for someone I think is good, honest, upright, a guardian of liberty and the republic, and can do the job.

It doesn’t matter to me if their name is on the ballot or not. I am not a member of a mass to be moved, I am an individual. And I vote that way.

ajacksonian on April 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

If Mittens is the option, then staying home is the choice.

Mr. Grump on April 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

If Mittens is the option, then staying home is the choice.

Mr. Grump on April 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Don’t stay home! Just don’t vote for the RINO or Dem. Vote Constitution, Coservative, or Libertarian Party.

King of the Britons on April 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

LOL – you might – I won’t.

I’ll vote for Obama – if for no other reason to send a message to Republicans that big government, socialism friendly, establishment candidates are unacceptable.

Besides – there’s not a lick of difference between Obama and Mittens – just that Obama will bankrupt the nation sooner than Mittens would. But Mittens would do it all the same.

Folks – we’ve raised the debt ceiling 75 times in the last 50 years – and most of those Presidents were Republicans.

It’s time for a new paradigm. Mittens is NOT a new paradigm.

HondaV65 on April 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Hickabee’s record on paroles and clemencies while governor proves he is unfit to lead. Romney’s RomneyCare passage in Massachusetts is a red flag from hell. This country needs a leader and retread politicians are definitely not the answer. The establishment republicans that are a definite cause of the financial disaster we are facing, as well as the demonrats. That said, when the NRA was on the verge of supporting Reid in Nevada, their membership took a hit as their political credibility became irrelelevant.

volsense on April 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM

If Mittens is the option, then staying home is the choice.

Mr. Grump on April 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

King of the Britons on April 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

You’re right, but the GOP makes me so damn mad, there are times I don’t even want to bother.

Mr. Grump on April 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Absolutely.
Even if you’re disgusted by the Republican presidential nominee vote in the congressional election. That’s where the power is. A Congress with the right makeup can neutralize any president, even a media fellated POS like Obama.
If we’re to have any hope of saving our beloved country from the collectivist enemy within we must elect patriots to Congress who will put America first.

single stack on April 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Heh- Allahpundit will write in Romney if he’s not the nominee.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Don’t belong to the NRA anymore because they keep endorsing Democrats in Michigan!!!! Since that’s the case, why the problem with Romney? He’s just as Democrat at the ones they’ve been endorsing. You can’t before the 2nd Amendment and continue to endorse people who will do whatever the Democrat leadership tells them to do.

flytier on April 30, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Romney is a rhino. He couldn’t suck anymore if he had his own gravity.

woodNfish on April 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Christ AM; range PM. Thank you NRA.

Caststeel on May 1, 2011 at 2:42 AM

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

SAAMI is the gun manufacturer’s lobby. The NRA represents both owners and manufacturers. The GOA is primarily focused on owners and in some cases sellers.

I disagree with all three of them on one day or another, but the NRA gets a hell of a lot more *done* in favor of gun owners than GOA, even if GOA is “ideologically pure.”

Don’t get me wrong, the NRA makes me so mad I could spit sometimes, but they get more done than anyone else in the field, and that counts.

SAAMI has actually done some really irritating crap, IIRC.

Merovign on May 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Also. RINO. Not rhino.

A rhino is a large, plains-dwelling mammal with horns.

I would love to have more rhinos in politics, all the politicians would be too busy running and screaming to raise taxes.

Merovign on May 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM