Video: Americans express their seething rage at Paul Ryan’s budget by giving him a standing ovation

posted at 4:10 pm on April 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

First Prosser spoils the left’s big comeback in Wisconsin, now “townhall backlash!” week ends with an honest-to-goodness standing O for a man who stands accused by progressives of wanting to fiscally euthanize America’s elderly. Is there no port in a storm for America’s hard-working liberal narrative-builders?

Maybe the people yelling “yay” are actually yelling “haaaaaate”? Look for that argument soon at Media Matters.

Ryan claims that his constituents know him well and appreciate that he is trying to reduce the nation’s debt and deficits with his 2012 budget plan, which is strongly opposed by Democrats.

“Oh, they are overwhelming supportive. Have you actually attended these meetings? The crowds are overwhelmingly supportive,” he said when asked if his constituents back his proposal during an interview with Bloomberg Television…

“So I’m really — I’m taking a lot of solace in this. I’m very excited,” he said. “They know what I believe in, what I stand for and so they are excited about seeing one of their elected leaders try to tackle these problems.”

That’s from the Hill, which notes skeptically that Ryan was booed at one event and had a police escort at another — and yet, oddly enough, doesn’t note the clip below. John McCormack, who shot the video and who also found the crowds this week to be overwhelmingly on Ryan’s side, saw it coming:

Ryan faced a larger number of hecklers at this event than previous ones, but they were just a sliver of the max capacity crowd. The vast majority of those present stood and applauded Ryan after one constituent rose to thank the congressman for producing his plan to rein in the federal budget. You probably won’t see this on the nightly news (and not just because I’m a terrible cameraman; sorry if you get whiplash)…

[T]he crowd in the nearly full high school gymnasium was, again, very supportive—at least 70%-30% in his favor judging by the applause versus boos.

Without any truly impressive displays of liberal grassroots outrage this week to showcase, progressives will turn inevitably to astroturf. Remember when they screeched about health-care townhalls allegedly being ‘turfed by conservatives in the summer of 2009? Matt Kibbe of FreedomWorks does:

“It’s funny because when the left accused us of Astroturf part of it was political, but the real fact of the matter is the left only understands Astroturf. That’s how they do it,” said Matt Kibbe, president of FreedomWorks.

“Getting people information about where town halls are held and where their views are on the Ryan budget — that’s exactly what we did during the health care, but again, they accused us of Astroturf, so they’re essentially being hoisted on their own petard on this,” Kibbe said.

Loveless acknowledges that AFSCME organizers are informing union members of planned town halls – to the extent that the union group is aware of them – but says “we’re not driving them, they’re going on their own.”

So there you go. When the local union chief orders his members to get their asses down to the GOP’s townhall meeting and boo nice and loud, everything’s copacetic so long as they use their own wheels. Exit question: When they ramp up the protests later this summer, are they actually going to show up wearing union shirts? Or will they use, ahem, disguises?

Comments

Yes, that is odd, is it not? Anyway, thank you for restoring my faith in my fellow Americans on this most important of all Royal Wedding Days! How does it feel, eeyore?

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

He would be a dynamite candidate. DYNAMITE!

joepub on April 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

So much for everyone hating his plan. That’s all I have heard from liberals. Screw them and their fake outrage.

pghpat26 on April 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Notice the crowd standing. A lot of seniors and mid-aged people.

amerpundit on April 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

John McCormack,

Very good work. Thank you.

I read an article this morning about the President kicking a print reporter off his beat because she used her cell phone to record protesters…

I guess this is called shakyhand reporting.

This is the only way we can get past the media bias and get the real story.

petunia on April 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

That is the kind of warm & fuzzy feeling that just gives me enough hope we can prevail against the tyrants. Bravo!

fourdeucer on April 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Okay, just to be clear …. this isn’t a Donald Trump thread, right?

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Ugh, oh. Big business is lobbying to raise the debt limit. Guess Dems are okay with big biz lobbying if it supports their ends. Look.

andy85719 on April 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Notice the crowd standing. A lot of seniors and mid-aged people.

amerpundit on April 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Well, I’ll tell you a secret if you can keep it to yourself: Gallup: Seniors Most Favorable To Ryan Budget

Shhhh…

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

The guy who stood up first was a republican though

tomas on April 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Okay, just to be clear …. this isn’t a Donald Trump thread, right?

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Let me answer that for you, Daydreamer.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Let me answer that for you, Daydreamer.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I don’t want to go off topic, but I don’t just click on any youtube link anyone sends me. So, I didn’t click on your last one and I’m not clicking on this one either.

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Then what are you complaining about? Geez, lighten up.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

..o.k., class, compare and contrast this reception with the pre-2010 townhalls that were being held across the country. You know, the ones where everyone came with pitchforks and torches.

Wadda we got left? 19 months before we can flush the First Turd and his hacks?

..let’s roll!

The War Planner on April 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Go go Ryan!

cmsinaz on April 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

West/Ryan 2012 :)

Connie on April 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

West/Ryan 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Connie on April 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Great minds…

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Shhhh…

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Thanks. I’m a senior and would be happy to see entitlement reforms. It’s simply a matter of protecting my grandchildren. My life is about over. Their lives are just beginning and they don’t need an anchor. I’m getting a little sick of the rants about selfish seniors. Most of us haven’t had much choice in the matter. Ryan offers the younger folks some choice.

a capella on April 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Or will they use, ahem, disguises?

Sales of fake Groucho Marx nose/glasses/mustaches combos are going to take off fast. Even faster if the stores are savvy enough to cross off the Groucho, and use magic marker to write Karl in its place.

DrAllecon on April 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Don’t look now.

But GOP strategists were afraid of the backlash/fallout from Obama birth certificate, too.

Sir Napsalot on April 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Letterman calls Trump a racist

Tip

Nearly Nobody on April 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

West/Ryan 2012…!!!

Someone with military experience like Allen West would be a great choice for president. Obama runs his presidency not as an executive, but as an Uber Legislator. We need people with something in their backgrounds that can trump Obama’s lack of experience.

And no, I do not mean Trump…

StubbleSpark on April 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

More fallout for Obama, who is more interested in playing political games, and scolding the press than adding anything “substantive to the real issues.”

Seriously, since putting the birth certificate issue behind him, what substantive thing has he said or done? Nothing.

StubbleSpark on April 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It must be Friday. This is AP at his snarkiest. Love the headline. LOL.

John the Libertarian on April 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

a capella on April 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

There are still seniors out there who represent the selfless generation, the generation who remembers what hard times were really like. I appreciate that you are one of them; you are the people who made this country great.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

That was awesome, only complaint that I would liked to have seen the whole thing.

sybilll on April 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM

My other favorite video is the one where they burst into laughter when a Moveon senior mentioned Paul Kurgman as proof that Sean Duffy’s chart was a lie.

PattyJ on April 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM

With the libs lying to our faces on a daily basis, why not feel excited about someone who’s doing something about it?

obleo on April 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM

StubbleSpark on April 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

No, no, no.

These same GOP strategists that tiptoeing around anything Obama are now afraid of the backlash against Republicans.

I only mention this (off topic) because we need Ryan (and West) to give us straight talks. No more woolly cotton wrapped poison pills (prescribed by ‘GOP strategists’).

Sir Napsalot on April 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

When you lose the ideas you resort to thuggery.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM

PattyJ on April 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Yep: Leftwing Drone Cites “Nobel Prize-Winning Economist” Paul Krugman at Town Hall, Hearty Laughter Ensues

Seiously, former Enron adviser Paul Krugman is a joke.

slickwillie2001 on April 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM

He doesn’t say MF’er enough. He needs to get with the new program. Talk about these “F’ing deficits” and the “MF’ing Medicare”.

melchitt on April 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean. While I don’t click on links provided by Facebook trolls, you can trust the regulars in here. The non-lib ones, anyway.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM

To be fair, seniors have nothing to lose by supporting this plan. I can understand why young people would be upset…they’re most likely ill-informed or just want to continue to be supported by our paychecks. They have no idea of personal responsibility, or what it means. They’re scared, angry, and outraged. This is nothing new from the Left.

SouthernGent on April 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM

LOL Oh, what can it mean?

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM

SouthernGent on April 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Well, it doesn’t look like the youngsters are all
that enthused about picking up the tab, either….

‘Not My Debt’: College Students Refuse Pledge to Pay Their Share of National Debt

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I like Ryan a lot and think he would be a good candidate.
This next election will be more about ousting Obama than who the GOP candidate is and if they can nominate someone who isn’t insanely polarizing, like Trump or Newt, we should have an excellent chance. Ryan is kind of bland, but with the smarts to back up his policies, but I think that might a good thing this time around.

BakerAllie on April 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM

LOL Oh, what can it mean?

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Oh, see now cynccook just took the words out of my mouth!

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Oh, see now cynccook just took the words out of my mouth!

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

LOL. I see what you did there!

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Now that’s the the kind of hope and change I’ve been waiting for.

wubu on April 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Maybe it was “Shaaaaaaaaame!”

I noticed that even most of the people not standing were still applauding.

iurockhead on April 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM

BakerAllie on April 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I disagree. He isn’t bland, he’s factual and straightforward. He doesn’t need to be a firebrand when he’s saying the right things.

iurockhead on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Ryan and his audience make me feel hopeful about our country’s future.

Here’s a sitting O for Allahpundit, our favorite RINO candy-ass, who has been doing some awfully good writing on these issues.

Terrie on April 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM

It’s very possible Wisconsin could end up being the canary in the coal mine for the Democrats. Their tactics aren’t working, their thuggishness is wearing thin, their demonizing has been used so many times people know what they’re going to say, before they say it.

They still have the LSM, but even that’s not good enough. Imagine, if you will, Obama and health care, both of which have been trumpeted by the MSM with 80% or more of their stories being positive about both and they’re both underwater. That would indicate, to me at least, that no one trusts the media any more. They don’t believe they’re reporting the facts but just the propaganda desired by the Administration and the Democratic Party. I honestly don’t know how they will get their credibility back but it won’t be by doing business as usual.

Call me foolish, but that’s one of the reasons I believe Sarah Palin has a chance to, not only win the nomination, but also the Presidency. The whole country knows the press has distorted everything about her and has never treated her fairly. All she has to do is show up, prepared for a debate, and be perceived as winning that debate and the game starts to change. The press can’t do anything to her they haven’t done already, in fact few people will believe anything they say, so they will end up not being an asset for the Democrats, as they usually are. Pretty funny, if you ask me!!!

bflat879 on April 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I’ve seen a heck of a lot of people cheering for Dear Leader recently as well as The Donald.

Won’t find me cheering at a Lady Gaga concert…because I wouldn’t show up in the first place.

So, the applause meter of sycophants who take the time to show up at this person or that’s public presentation means something that can be extrapolated to the country as a whole? When it’s someone we disagree with it, those in the audience are to be discounted-because they agree with that speaker (suspicious, I know), but when we agree with them, it’s representative of the ultimate Truth?

Maybe-but, maybe not.

This country is so divided I don’t buy these Populist arguments, and “Astroturfing” mud-slinging from either side.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 30, 2011 at 1:10 AM