Trump to China: “Listen, you motherf***ers, we’re going to tax you 25 percent”

posted at 2:55 pm on April 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, which has excerpts from last night’s F-bomb cavalcade. One of our commenters in Headlines watched the clip and observed that Trump is basically a leftist caricature of Republicans brought to life. Precisely — but with the caveat that something like 20 percent of the GOP wants to embrace the caricature. (That number might already be slipping.) He knows he’s too compromised on conservative principles to get traction with the base so he overcompensates with tell-it-like-it-is populist bravado aimed at framing himself as the ultimate regular-guy outsider. Calling the Chinese MFers is the logical extension of that; if he can’t address economic anxieties with a serious policy solution, at least he can do it with rhetorical empowerment. That’s why Reagan, who did have a serious Cold War strategy, didn’t have to say “Tear down this motherf***ing wall” instead.

Just to follow up on the point about leftist caricature, though, I’m intrigued by this tidbit from his trip to New Hampshire:

Even as reporters assailed him with questions this week about the president’s birth certificate, Mr. Trump sought to dispel any notion that his candidacy is a public relations gimmick. He dangled the idea that reporters would be “surprised” by what he announces next month, soon after his NBC television show ends for the season on May 22.

“When the show is over, I will be free to announce,” he said. “I think you will be surprised at a number of things, but I think you will be surprised at what my announcement is.”

He’s not dumb, so he surely realizes by now that he has no shot at winning. As much as voters may enjoy this sort of “f*** the world” pandering on the stump, they’re not going to entrust the nuclear arsenal to a guy prone to rhetoric like this. Remember how Howard Dean, another man of righteous rage, was ahead in the polls until the primaries began and he suddenly realized that he was a bit too “much” for most Democrats? Trump will experience that too. So he’s almost certainly not going to run, in which case, what will the “surprising” announcement be? If he walked out and admitted that this has all been a goof aimed at seeing just how far he could get in the GOP polls using lowest-common-denominator populist rhetoric, it’d be one of the great pranks of all time. Liberals would go from loathing him to building statues of him in an instant. I know he’s not going to say that — realistically, he’ll give some excuse about being “better able to influence the process on the outside” or whatever — but still. It’d be epic. Content warning for what follows, if you please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I try to be merciful to little boys, or little girls, or whatever you are.

HalJordan on April 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Oh, he’s a man.

So you have just now accused West of a lack of integrity.
HalJordan on April 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM

You’re not really serious, are you? Because I haven’t had this good of a laugh in a long, long time. Don’t spoil it!!!

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM

BTW you forgot that a sitting US Senator also tried to steal the election in 2004 with help from a friendly Managing Editor/Chief Anchor at one of the national networks.

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

A ‘former’ senator tried to steal the election in 2000. But me and 536 other people took care of that.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Alas, I am 33. I remember watching it as a kid and later in syndication. My parents loved it.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Way too young. You had to be there.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM

You’re about my age, Bee. I think George Jefferson was my first object lesson in the fact that anyone can be racist, regardless of skin color.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM

So you have just now accused West of a lack of integrity.

HalJordan on April 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Wrong again, chump. West’s words don’t belie admiration or agreement, merely the same sentiment some here have aired: that Trump is a useful idiot. It’s not a lapse of integrity to take advantage of said fool. But please, keep on trying.

I’m going back over to AmericanThinker now. It’s been “interesting”. Many smart commenters here but also many quite otherwise and not very good blog articles and mostly repetitious ones.

HalJordan on April 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM

AmericanThinker? Why would you go to a place you can’t identify with? I think HotAir fits you far more appropriately.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

The birther stuff could have been a big problem for conservatives if the certificate hadn’t been released.

Ummm….no. It was becoming a big problem for Obama, and was getting worse. That’s why he released it. If it were a big problem for Conservatives, it would still be locked away in Hawaii.

xblade on April 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I think it is. It’s really entertaining to watch a eunuch like him act as if he has any idea of what a real man is. Let’s see…if Trump is a real man, I’m guess Bill Clinton is, as well? What other characters does Trump remind you of?

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM

And Trump says his decision about running may surprise people, so maybe he declares West as VP choice straight up.
It would be great PR trick anyway.

the_nile on April 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I predicted this to a few friends, that he’d announce his VP pick at the time of announcing his run, and that it will be someone very conservative. West would make a few minds go nuts.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

HalJordan on April 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Don’t judge us on just today. It’s pretty much sucked all week.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Unwittingly you did what O’Donnell did the other night, rant on your ‘employer’.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

West would never accept. He’s not going to leave office one way or another for anything related to the 2012 presidential race. Unlike some douchebags-in-chief, he’s actually going to repay the people who elected him into office by doing his job.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

God are you a ignorant. Your first example is Allen West. Hello, knock, knock, is anyone home? How anyone can embarrass himself as much as you do and “show your face” again around here is absolutely astounding.

Rep. Allen West says he hopes Donald Trump is serious about running for president what he’s doing, because America is in need of a leader who can guide it through a “critical time.”
Allen also said he would not rule out running for vice president on a Trump ticket if he were asked. Said he would run to server the American people…

HalJordan on April 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Boy you made sure to twist what he said. I didn’t quote him word-for-word either (bold), but you twisted his words to fit your biased need.

RalphyBoy on April 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Wait…you think I’ve seen a penny from Hot Air?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*laughs to asphyxiation*

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Also, you insulted those you’ll need to sell to, your clients.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

No, Madison, I know you don’t get paid by HA, but still, it’s your turf, has been for so long.

Lad, you are a good one but your passion takes over, quite often. In a true libertarian sense, have at it.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I love Stein, but based on what I’ve read here it does sound like he stepped in it :-)

MJBrutus on April 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM

How, exactly? Steyn was highlighting bluster, empty bravado (Trump) vs. true leadership and concise, thoughtful, thoroughly conservative policy positions (West). I’m more surprised that a large swath of HA readership isn’t saying exactly the same thing.

And, yes, I’m hoping West declines a potential VP nod after examining Trump’s record. I’m assuming he hasn’t…or at least I hope he hasn’t.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

And he has said as much. If West runs, it won’t be until 2016, if then.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

*laughs to asphyxiation*

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

There’s a reason I put ‘employer’ in single quotes. Stop laughing. That time is over.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM

. If West runs, it won’t be until 2016, if then.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

By 2016 no one will want it. obama is spitting on that last piece of pizza.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM

And he has said as much. If West runs, it won’t be until 2016, if then.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Two nights ago he said something totally different. He said he and Trump have talked and he’d have to get his constituents’ blessing but he’s considering.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM

. If West runs, it won’t be until 2016, if then.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM
By 2016 no one will want it. obama is spitting on that last piece of pizza.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Nothing more left to run/fight for by then.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Also, you insulted those you’ll need to sell to, your clients.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

By making a joke about the name? I’m far from the first, and far from the last. I’d be insulting myself in the process, so that conclusion doesn’t seem too sensible, does it?

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Then West’s stock just went wayyyyyy down in my book. There are few things about a politician that irritate me more than hearing them say “I’m not running,” only for them to turn around and run.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

By 2016 no one will want it. obama is spitting on that last piece of pizza.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM

None of that, now. If that’s the case, we better take over Canada and make that America Part II. Otherwise, let’s not give up on our own house.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

No worries. The current salon is 180 degrees from the quality of years past. If it continues like this all is futile. Donald Duck can run against Obama.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It’s 2012, and after a tough battle it’s

Obama/Clinton, vs

Trump/West

What do you do?

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Do you have a source for that? I’ve got a couple different occasions where he is quite safely vague on saying one way or another, but also clear enough that it’s not really on his radar. The media are trying to push it as “he’s not ruling it out”, but really, considering that he’s a Tea Party favorite, and the Tea Party contains a lot of people who are swallowing the Trump bulls**t right now, he knows better than to alienate them over this idiot.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Not in a search mood. He was a guest of Hannity, if I recall correctly, and was asked about it repeatedly.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

We either win this one, or Schadenfreude is right. We will not survive 4 more years. It pretty much means America’s lost its mind.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Agreed, although I don’t believe he ever ruled out VP.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Have a link?

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Obama, with no more re-election aims, will be lethal.

1000 czars or bust, just one ex.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Agreed, although I don’t believe he ever ruled out VP.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM

That sounds like a rather weaselly way of thinking on West’s part. I mean, come on! He wouldn’t make a choice to bail on his constituents, but he would do so if someone else conscripted him into the veep spot? LAME.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

It’s 2012, and after a tough battle it’s

Obama/Clinton,

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Forget Hillary. He’s made her look like a fool. And there’s no chance of her getting the nod in ’16. She’s got nothing to gain.

But she does have some revenge against Chicago Jesus coming.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Drawing a blank. This keeps popping up, though. :D

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM

People are presenting Donald Trump as the example of a “real man”.

America has lost its mind.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

He said what politicians say “I have to work for my constituents…Trump and I talked…if my costituents would let me I’d…” – something like this. He was a guest of Hannity and was asked repeatedly on topic. He admitted that he and Trump had talked.

Lanceman, O needs Hillary more than she needs him and they’ll make her into a racist if she says no, he and his thugs.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I meant that he’s been consistent that he wasn’t running for POTUS, but was always open to VP. He was first linked to Gingrich which was stomach-churning enough. But, Trump? Egad. I’m trying really hard not to jump to conclusions until I’ve read all the statements he’s made.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

People are presenting Donald Trump as the example of a “real man”.

America has lost its mind.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM

The Trump thing will pass. I don’t know what he’s doing, but he ain’t running.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Well, break out of your mood, or else check my links, since one of them is from Hannity’s website.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

In 3 weeks we’ll know.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Drawing a blank. This keeps popping up, though. :D

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM

OH PLEASE. Both Tyler Durden and Jack would make mincemeat of Trump. He’d stay a wad of cookie dough for a good long time.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Don’t know how they can do that after she took SecState. She’ll be, what, 70 in ’16? No way. She’s done.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Maddie, just for you.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Doesn’t matter who’s on that 2nd spot. Same question.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Maddie, just for you.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Yeah, that’s what my first link is a transcript of. That’s the same answer he gave at the town hall meeting.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Staying classy.

Aronne on April 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

erm…that’s what I meant.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM

In your link the last part is cut off completely, the one about asking his constituents.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

erm…that’s what I meant.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

My bad…I thought we were naming “real men” by the standard of Trump being amongst their number.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

…you mean it’s on the second page of my link?

I think you’re click-challenged, my friend.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Sometimes it’s okay to go with one’s gut.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Sometimes it’s okay to go with one’s gut.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I go with facts as much as possible. My gut tends to mislead sometimes.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I go with facts as much as possible. My gut tends to mislead sometimes.

Bee on April 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I know what you mean.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I think you’re click-challenged, my friend.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Indeed, I am, but just now. Aiming to get better soon.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Obama/anyon

Trump/West

What will you do?

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM

anyon = anyone

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Obama/anyon

Trump/West

What will you do?

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Wait…you’re asking what I would do if the only thing standing in the way of Allen West being president was Donald Trump? Sorry, not taking the bait.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 6:23 PM

yet this guy has at one time or another been a heretic on virtually every single right-wing core belief — really, every one — and yet he’s instantly forgiven just for talking really, really tough. Hilarious.

Allahpundit on April 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Comparing you with Donald Trump is like comparing a depressed and drunk Homer Simpson vs. Superman.

But thanks for crowing on your own hill.

Mcguyver on April 29, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Bingo, and it’s not too different from the commotion people made over Chris Christie. Conservative on some issues, liberal on others that people cared about…but hey, he YELLED!

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I have been traveling and been away from HotAir since before the birth-certificate release, and actually didn’t have Internet access when it happened. And now am still too busy to yet give my thoughts on it (in case anyone thinks I’ve been hiding). Have to go out the door in a few. Personal life stuff to attend to.

But this is my take on Trump:

The reason he is getting poll responses is precisely because he is YELLING about things that in general seem sensible to the average American who is afraid right now of another slide to come and thinks 0bama isn’t up to the task.

They are “YELLING” mad/scared.

That’s the long and short of it.

Any candidate who wants to beat 0bama is going to have to match Trump’s directness and volume.

cane_loader on April 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM

And I will say, that, so far, Sarah Palin is the only one yelling like Trump, but her voice is so awful that it alone may prevent her candidacy. What a shame that such a right-thinking candidate was cursed with – bar-none – the worst speaking voice of any contender in my memory.

My Dad’s a good judge of stuff and he’s really old, and he likes her a lot, but says she “talks too fast” to be elected.

Last thought – it was said that Lincoln had a high, reedy voice, and people made fun of him for it.

cane_loader on April 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM

D) keep speaking about the stupid stuff so you make an idiot out of yourself.

She has tried to tell him to move to policy while the spotlight is on him. On Greta she basically said he was a flash in the pan not talking about important stuff.

unseen on April 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Do not insult me. Get it? Got it? Good!

Out of the sixteen minutes of video I watched (I did through PalinTV), US and foreign policy were very important, absolutely covered through-and-through during the whole darn interview.

Greta interviewed Sarah on details ofher FB post; her tweet about Obama is exactly what I think most of the time. At these critical times, what I wrote is what is convenient for her, and that is her advantage: all three of them.

Her money quote on the US not being “the world’s ATM, or the world’s babysitter” is precisely what liberals are dragging us to do, which is what they are accusing us of doing just that. We need to shake that off, fire back and call them on it.

About Trump, she said she respects him and what he’s doing by of course, all that was covered throughout the beginning of the interview. Does Trump has the media’s attention? Heck yea! Her input at 11:20 about Trump, the BC and additional documents-bring it up! Obama is made of whatever formation he had during his young life, just like Palin’s. Problem is, we know all about her, but we don’t about him. We know about GWB’s grades in college but yet asking the same of Obama is racist.

For example, with all this birther-thing going on: My angle on the international adoption documentation should play a role and is slowly coming to surface. If it does? Great! If it doesn’t-we’ll kick him out of office by using the lever.

I have faith in God that all the efforts Sarah Palin has done to call to attention this country’s problems and offer solutions is coming to fruition and in the short run, vindication. It’s already happening with the Fed.

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

“Alex, I’ll take AMERICAN POLITICAL CHARACTERS for $500.”

“toyed with a Presidential run becoming widely remembered for using the so-called F-Bomb.”

“Alex, who is Donald Trump?”

PappyD61 on April 30, 2011 at 12:58 AM