ThinkProgress: Storm victims kind of had it coming, didn’t they?

posted at 11:18 am on April 29, 2011 by Slublog

Unlike James Wolcott, the writer doesn’t actually root for bad weather, he’s simply using the tragedy in the South to proselytize for his belief system.

The congressional delegations of these states — Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, and Kentucky — overwhelmingly voted to reject the science that polluting the climate is dangerous. They are deliberately ignoring the warnings from scientists.

Translation: ‘You know, it’s really awful what happened down there and all, but if you don’t believe in global warming, Gaia will end you.’

Thankfully, there is some pushback against this view from those in a position to know about such things, but I’m sure that opinion will be dismissed as heresy by the true believers.  There’s a bloody shirt to wave, after all.  Mankind must atone for its sins.  I do wonder, however, whether those who warn of the dangers of global warming realize that blaming all unusual weather on their favored boogeyman leaves them open to criticism like this.  Just so you know, that isn’t the only post at the blog along these lines.  JammieWearing Fool finds another.

At present, the storms have killed approximately 300 people in six states.  The American Red Cross is accepting donations for those who would like to assist storm victims.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If these storms had happened in places like India & the middle east, there would be thousands dead.
And God help these families.
But in America, I would hope that we are caring for our own.
God has nothing to do with any of this.
Nor does ‘Gaia’.
In short-$hit happens.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I’ve been waiting for and am still waiting for someone to blame this on the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. You know, God’s wrath for having practiced slavery?

I’m certain that angle is still to come.

madmonkphotog on April 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

The Far Left = Jihadists Without Cojones

The two populations are equally nihilistic but the Left lack the commitment to do their own damage, preferring instead to cheer carnage from the sidelines.

SlimyBill on April 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I heard an idiot on the radio say this:

These tornadoes were the worst in 40 years. Therefore this is proof positive global warming is real,

My question for him would have been: so that means global warming was even worse 40 years ago right?

Liberals. Mental. Disease.

angryed on April 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’m sure these same people screamed bloody murder about the Jerry Falwells of the world saying that various non-religious people on the far left brought 9/11 and other acts upon themselves.

teke184 on April 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

NEVER LET A CRISIS GO TO WASTE!

GarandFan on April 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Based on historical evidence, I have a feeling that the future of global warming theology eventually will include human sacrifices.

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Every day the Left provides fresh examples of why that old Texas defense “he needed killin’ ” is valid.

SDN on April 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

You stay classy ThinkProgress!

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

It most certainly will, albeit somewhat indirectly. Cap & Trade = higher energy and food costs. Higher energy costs = more people with cold homes in the winter (and thus more sickness and death) and hot homes in the summer (and thus more heat stroke and heat related deaths).

strictnein on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

May God comfort the families affected by all the carnage. ThinkProgress, like the rest of Soros’ websites, is despicable.

kingsjester on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

From the same people who brought you clever ads where anyone who wasn’t willing to change their life to suit environmentalists’ wishes was blown the f**k up.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

It blows my mind how boundless the limits are to the absolute stupidity of moronic louts who spew blithering bilgewater rancor like this and then delude themselves into believing that they are perfectly in the right to do so!

It is as if common sense and logic have abandoned whatever is left of their reasoning processes.

pilamaye on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

And let me guess, this same guy takes umbrage when Pat Robertson or the like says something equally idiotic.

What do I win?

Sekhmet on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

The Gospel according to Walcott is God took great retribution on people for contributing to global warming—even poor people. AlGore had better start praying hard and go to church.

Herb on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

teke184 on April 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

That’s right.

That was wrong and this is wrong.

thebrokenrattle on April 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

They are deliberately ignoring the warnings from scientists.

Riiiiight, because before the Industrial Revolution, there were NEVER any tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, etc etc.

Tony737 on April 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Nine of my relatives were killed in the Tri-State Tornado of 1925, a massive F-5 that killed more than any tornado in our history. Two of the dead were just babies. Global warming wasn’t an issue then, so perhaps Gaia got them beause their parents had the nerve to live close to a coal mine.

flyfisher on April 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

It already does, indirectly.

Crawford on April 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

strictnein on April 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Sure, but I mean literally. The Incas worshipped weather gods, and sacrificed children to them, along with many other cultures. The church of global warming is just such a primitive culture.

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I don’t why I’m so appalled anymore, it shouldn’t shock me that the left makes political hay out of the suffering of others. They always have. What foul foul people.

Dino64 on April 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM

This is $oro$ money at work.
Idiots.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM

File this story or bookmark it to gauge Brad Johnson’s reaction when the eventual 7.4 quake hits along the San Andreas Fault or its sub-fault zones in liberal areas of California.

jon1979 on April 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

There’s a parallel here with throwing virgins into the volcano to appease Pele.

ZenDraken on April 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Don’t anybody go cluing in the little Poli Sci/J-School retard that storms form because of the clash of cool vs. warm air, and that the northern half of the country has been very abnormally cool this year. This air mass colliding with the normally warm southern air mass is what’s making things go boom.

No, don’t anybody clue in Soros’ little b*tch, this time in the form of a Brad Johnson.

Heh, this tard’s previous headlines…

Climate Pollution Is Killing Pikas, The Mountain Bunnies Of The Rockies

Extreme Warming Forces Climate Scientists To Add Hot Pink To Temperature Map

Yes, no doubt the boy has plenty of science education to go with the usual fare of leftist trash…

Not.

MNHawk on April 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM

The real problem is that there are like minded fools who will hear this and believe it.

Kissmygrits on April 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM

You know, God’s wrath for having practiced slavery?

I’m certain that angle is still to come.

madmonkphotog on April 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

TENTHERS!
Where the he!! is right4life when you need such nonsense?

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM

For the record again I will state: it has never been proven that CO2 causes atmospheric temperatures to rise.
What HAS been shown is that rising atmospheric temperatures cause CO2 concentrations to rise.
But that isn’t very exciting.
So let’s blame it all on cow farts & evil combustion engines & incandescent light bulbs instead.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I think I’ll go idle my car all day.

And leave all the lights on when I’m out.

Until they use government to make me stop, I’m going to do my best to destroy that Earth. If it will end liberalism, it is well worth it.

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

So let me get this straight….

Tornado kills people who voted Republican = God’s judgment.

Someone suggests teaching intelligent design? “THERE IS NO GOD, YOU HICKS!!”

CurtZHP on April 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

“ThinkProgress”? How about “don’t think, just parrot what you hear”? At Mike Smith’s blog, he points out how the great tornado outbreaks of history have occurred during periods of cooling, not warming — and that the earth has been cooling off since 1998, according to the satellite record.

Idiots.

JamesS on April 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

polluting the climate

How does one, exactly, pollute the f***ing climate?!?

These people are barely literate, and they want to tell me what to do?

I will make meatballs from their souls.

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

To paraphrase G.K. Chesterton, nature is NOT our mother, if anything she should be our sister. Our sister is deserving of our respect, protection and love. Nature as our sister gives mankind and nature the same Father. Nature as our mother as in Gaia is heretical.

fourdeucer on April 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

When I got home from work this morning I watched Imus trot out the same nonsense. He ask a Fox meteorologist if the recent earthquakes/tsunamis and severe weather were related to global warming. I turned off the idiot-box and went to bed.

dmann on April 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

FU.

My good friend lives in Cullman. I haven’t heard from her in 2 days. She posted a quick update on her phone that she was ok, but that was before the worst of the storms hit.

Over the past year she’s been part of a downtown rejuvenation effort. She, and a group of other artists, have been painting historical murals. A tornado erased all that work.

What did she do to deserve this?

Vera on April 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

So now it’s just a fundamental truth among our secular and enlightened masters, an article of faith written in some psychic scripture to which only they are privy, that all meteorological events and catastrophes result from global warming. We don’t even debate it anymore. It just is.

Notice how this fundamentalism follows the collapse of the scientific argument over the last two years?

This is how the Left works. As things fall apart for them, they double down. Collective death — and I mean death for ALL OF US — on the pyre of holy raging truth is preferable to conceding a single flaw in that truth.

We’re dealing with maniacs, and always have been.

Got that, GOP?

rrpjr on April 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

And that, is reason #30,000 that I will NEVER find anything redeeming in liberalism or any system/philosophy/person thereof.

Ryan Anthony on April 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

The article was a classless and stupid attempt to pi*s on climate change deniers.

Dave Rywall on April 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Co2 is a natural gas that is necessary for life on earth. How’s that a pollutant? Water vapor (clouds) are hundreds of times more efficient as a “greenhouse” gas as CO2. Is that a pollutant too?

cartooner on April 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

The article was a classless and stupid attempt to pi*s on climate change deniers victims in the South.

But hey, they were probably racist too.

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

What’s the difference between this and saying that AIDS is the wrath of God for immoral behavior? Nothing.

The Church of Global Warming is a fanatical and intolerant religious cult.

RadClown on April 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

This is an argument for abolishing public education, not carbon emissions. Sure, people 100 years ago couldn’t multiply, and literacy was spotty, but they weren’t pinning natural disasters on their own shortcomings anymore, either.

Sometime in the not-so-distant future, the green movement will be the rebuttal to the Salem Witch Trials, which after all only killed c17 people.

HitNRun on April 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Oh my heck.

If this does not convince people that Global Warming is a religion nothing will.

They have the unquestioned priesthood with all the robes and rituals… the prophets of doom and the crazies to stand on the street corner who point fingers at the sinners Gaia has damned!

My my my. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

petunia on April 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM

We better hurry up and start throwing babies down volcanoes. Or maybe redistribute some wealth to appease the Gods.

forest on April 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

This is as idiotic as Glenn Beck saying God was punishing Japan with the tsunami. How many of you were nodding in agreement with Beck? It’s the same script with different actors.

deewhybee on April 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

The United State historically has about 75% of all the Earth’s tornadoes. This is because there are essentially nothing but plains and flat delta land all the way from the Gulf of Mexico well into Canada uninterrupted by any major mountain range. This allows warm tropical air spilling up from the Gulf to freely mix with cold northern plains air creating violent thunderstorms with numerous tornadoes as a result. Although there are occasional tornadoes in places like New York, Massachusetts and California the vast bulk of spring tornadoes occur in the Southeast and summer tornadoes in the Southwest.

By the same token, America’s largest river, the Mississippi, at St. Louis is less than one-third as wide as the much, much smaller Hudson River at Croton, NY. With such a narrow channel for so wide a water dispersal (spring snow melt) there is predictable widespread flooding every spring.

Thus it is geographic bad luck not global warming that causes severe flooding in the spring and severe tornadoes in the spring and summer. This situation existed well before the Indians settled here and will continue well after the last liberal has been decapitated by some Muslim fanatic.

MaiDee on April 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Dave Rywall on April 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Especially since it’s hardly as if the tornado only touched wealthy conservatives. I was watching earlier today devastation to housing projects.

This kicked the crap out of everyone in the region. We need to unite to help our fellow countrymen. Suggestions from either side that this was the result of politics or religion should be rejected.

amerpundit on April 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

deewhybee on April 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I never heard him say that. But if true, it’s no less despicable.

amerpundit on April 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

OT: Paul Ryan catches a Lefty astroturfer at his Town Hall who had been at a separate event 6 hours earlier and in a different set of clothes.

Link

If this is the best the Dems can do, especially given the photos of the few “protesters” outside Ryan’s events, then they’re in deep trouble.

teke184 on April 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

RadClown on April 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

The difference is the nuclear hissy fit the left would throw if you point that out.

CurtZHP on April 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I’m certain that angle is still to come.

madmonkphotog on April 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

That is just as rational an explanation as global warming.

tballard on April 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

So the people of Illinois, and their floods….they deserve it too? The people of Missouri? California? Remember all the rains and flooding in the Northwest last year?

It’s THE WEATHER STUPID!!! I remember tornado activity being unpredictable since I was old enough to understand it. It’s cyclical, and always changing. This global warming b.s has nothing to do with it. The weather is what it is, and there’s no predicting sometimes, and nothing man does will change it.

Bottom line is, the air, water and most all things are cleaner now then they were 30 years ago. Shouldn’t things have gotten better rather than worse, per the gw idiots beliefs?

capejasmine on April 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I never heard him say that. But if true, it’s no less despicable.

amerpundit on April 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It sadly is true, and made me think quite a bit less of him.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Look, I’m of the belief that yes, God can use Natural Disasters to punish people. The eventual wiping out of San Francisco will probably be one of them. (Sodom and Gomorrah stand as precedent, after all….) But not all natural disasters are punishment. Indeed, I doubt most of them are.

And even with that view, God isn’t going to send a punishment for something never identified as a “sin.” And last I checked, I don’t recall any verse in the Bible saying something like “Thou shalt not breathe out, for it is a sin and will heat the world” or something like that.

No, for me to believe ThinkProgress, I’d have to see their new scripture where they get the word from God/Gaia/Zeus or whichever deity they worship that says “Thou shalt not.”

And once they produce that…. well, they are a religion. And sorry, but Earth Worship died out after Christ. For good reason. Too bad we are headed back to worshipping the creation, not the Creator.

Vanceone on April 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Abortion at will? Death panels?

petefrt on April 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

The fact that there are gazillions more people living in Tornado Alley than there used to be means that there are going to be higher casualties when we get a year with unusually bad storms. It doesn’t mean that every year is going to be that stormy.

What if the fact that the Japanese earthquake knocked the earth four inches off its axis had something to do with this year’s unsettled jet stream and unusual weather? What if the fact that sunspots are finally picking up and are very strong had something to do with it? Can Gaia’s True Believers consider any possibility but the knee-jerk bleating about “global warming”? I guess not.

RebeccaH on April 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

deewhybee on April 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

WOW, this is news to me! Could you provide the link of him saying:God was punishing Japan with the tsunami?
I have never heard him say that, please enlighten me.

IowaWoman on April 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Increased solar activity

rockmom on April 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

If Bush could steer a hurricane into New Orleans who’s to say Obama couldn’t conjure up tornadoes and wildfire to punish hispolitical enemies?

Bruno Strozek on April 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I’ve already run into this on another site. And I reiterate: I live in the state of Alabama. Things are hard enough right now without these self-satisfied jerks explaining to us why our friends died.

I will try not to hate these people but I will not succeed. Let them wallow in their own filth. It’s what they deserve.

jakev on April 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I just listened to the link. I did not hear Glenn Beck saying God was punishing Japan with the tsunami.

IowaWoman on April 29, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Increased solar activity

rockmom on April 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

SUV’s cause increased solar activity. Or is it the second-hand cigarette smoke and the sugar in soft drinks.

petefrt on April 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Award-winning meteorologist Mike Smith demolishes the alleged link to GoreBull Warning on his blog. Scroll down to the chart showing global temperatures with four major tornado outbreaks highlighted. They each occurred during periods when the trend was heading downward, and the first three were below the average line.

The Monster on April 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM

This is downtown Cullman.

Vera on April 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM

It’s the same script with different actors.

dumbwifebeater on April 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Link, please?

Jaibones on April 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Colder climate = more volatile climate.
Consider the weather in the E. US during the 1600s through the mid-1800s.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

The tornadoes occurred because of a cold front. But that’s okay, the envirowacko-people- hating-Gaia-worshippers have an explanation for that too – global warming causes cold fronts. And freedom is slavery.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

deewhybee on April 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

If anything, the liberals were the ones saying that in between screaming “HOW DARE THE F**KING JAPANESE ALLOW MOTHERF**KING WHALING” and “NO F**KING NUCLEAR POWER.” Does not compute. Next please.

Ryan Anthony on April 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

That article is yet another indication that global warming hysteria is a religion, not a science.

Don’t believe in the left’s pseudoscientific religion? Then you deserve mighty Gaia’s wrath.

jjrakman on April 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM

On another blog, one said it was God punishuing Red states for Red states hate, homophobia and racism.

seven on April 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM

One other scientific claim, this is fried chicken and sweet tea country. Bad for the planet?

seven on April 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

The truly sad part is that liberals Think it is Progress, when people, they consider to be knuckle draggin’, Bible thumpin’, bitter gun clingers are killed. Now I can’t stand liberals in general but I sure don’t wish tragedy upon them. Prayers for those affected, liberal and conservative alike!

prince of dorkness on April 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM

“If you look at the past 60 years of data, the number of tornadoes is increasing significantly, but it’s agreed upon by the tornado community that it’s not a real increase,” said Grady Dixon, assistant professor of meteorology and climatology at Mississippi State University.

The “tornado community”???

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

CO2 is not a pollutant … it’s a trace gas and necessary for life on this planet.

darwin on April 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

So typical of the hateful left wing extremists. They care more about how terrorists are treated than the lives of the fellow Americans lost in tragedy.

BruthaMan on April 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

New Orleans was build in a bowl, below sea level. Did THEY deserve it? Or is that racist?

Troika37 on April 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I doubt these cretins can even understand how illogical they sound. The opinion that these tornadoes, entirely a weather phenomena BTW, were caused by the victims passes for deep thinking in the Warmists’ camp.

pat on April 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Indirectly, it already does.

ButterflyDragon on April 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Tornadoes would be “weather”, not “climate”

Unless you happened to read to the end of “Cat’s Cradle” Vonnegut years ago.

tomg51 on April 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

300 human beings are confirmed dead. There is an untold amount of physical destruction and you have some idjit trotting out Al Gore’s agenda?

Shame. Utter, complete, total shame.

Will they be protesting the need for trees that will necessarily have to be made into caskets to bury our dead?

WTF 2012

Key West Reader on April 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

It’s inexcusable to liberals to say that being gay plus being promiscuous promotes the spread of AIDS, but some of them are fine with consigning 300 people to death because they didn’t believe in the unproven and unprovable theory of man-made global warming and the massive expansion of government control the theory requires.

Socratease on April 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM

These are truly evil people we are facing.

WarEagle01 on April 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Somehow I doubt the TP goofjacks will be volunteering to assist all those devastated families.

Bishop on April 29, 2011 at 1:19 PM

These are truly evil people we are facing.

WarEagle01 on April 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Indeed….it’s mind boggling……

BigWyo on April 29, 2011 at 1:21 PM

George Monbiot Moonbat

pain train on April 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM

La Nina is not the same thing as global warming. It’s part of the natural variation of our planetary climate.

Because our planet’s climate varies, notwithstanding the belief of progressive that Earth has a thermostat set at.. what? 68 degrees?

hawksruleva on April 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM

two of my clients’ businesses sustained tornado damage within the last week – one had minor damage and the other had major damage. For a group like Think Progress Think Fascist to wish ill on Southern states because of how their elected officials voted is despicable.

Leave it to the Enviro Industry to find yet another way to set a new low.

CatchAll on April 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Leave it to the Enviro Industry to find yet another way to set a new low.

CatchAll on April 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM

They’re no different than our own crr666, gulag-loving hellfilth who hate human freedom and dignity.

ebrown2 on April 29, 2011 at 1:46 PM

The post from Mr. Johnson and many of the comments to that article are stunning. The inability to tolerate differing opinions is something that most people develop at a very young age. For some reason the people who agree with AGW have an almost uncontainable hatred for those who refuse to fault humanity for the climate events that are observed.

What is it about acceptance of AGW that drives people to revel in the deaths of men, women, and children who are even suspected of being so-called climate change “deniers”. Why must the deaths of these people and the utter destruction of their homes be celebrated with such alacrity? I can’t grasp it!

Mormon Doc on April 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Can we do another battlestate poll today???

Odie1941 on April 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Shame. Utter, complete, total shame.

WTF 2012

Key West Reader on April 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Gores payback to Tenn… 11 years later.

Odie1941 on April 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM

ABC News just reported that FEMA has yet to show up. Obviously, 0bama is punishing these people for voting Republican.

(Hey, if they can blame my God, I can blame theirs.)

CurtZHP on April 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

It’s that guys fault that I wrapped a piece of 5/8″ rebar upside his head…

Sonosam on April 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Shame. Utter, complete, total shame.

WTF 2012

Key West Reader on April 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Hey, they can’t let a good crisis go to waste now, can they?

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Tell that to the parents of Ashley Harrison, a beautiful 22 yr old Dallas girl days away from graduating from the University of Alabama. Go ahead libs I dare you.

txmomof6 on April 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM