New FTC Guidelines Take Aim at Children’s Food Pitchmen

posted at 10:40 am on April 29, 2011 by John Sexton

There’s an old saying that when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. The government version is this: When all you have is the ability to regulate, the solution to every problem is more regulation:

Citing an epidemic of childhood obesity, regulators are taking aim at a range of tactics used to market foods high in sugar, fat or salt to children, including the use of cartoon characters like Toucan Sam, the brightly colored Froot Loops pitchman, who appears in television commercials and online games as well as on cereal boxes.

The story goes on to say the regulations are “voluntary” but the food industry sees this as more than a hint:

“There’s clearly a demand hidden behind the velvet glove of the voluntary language,” said Dan Jaffe, an executive vice president of the Association of National Advertisers, a trade group that represents marketers like Kraft Foods and Campbell Soup.

In case you’re wondering where all this came from, the “intergovernmental panel” looking at food marketed to children was established by a provision in the 2009 budget omnibus. The recommendations the panel has produced are not entirely original (see footnote 10). They are based on a series of similar recommendations from groups including CSPI and WHO.  Whatever the source, the image of the FTC taking on the Keebler elves is, well…magically delicious:

By explicitly tying advertising to childhood obesity, the government is suggesting there is a darker side to cuddly figures like Cap’n Crunch, the Keebler elves, Ronald McDonald and the movie and television characters used to promote food.

It’s perhaps not surprising that the same administration that wants to regulate carbon dioxide as a pollutant is prepared to treat sugar and salt in much the same manner. If they can replace our light bulbs with something better for us, why not our breakfast cereal?

I do find it a bit hypocritical that they same folks who spent half a billion dollars selling “hope and change” to the youth vote now want to forbid colorful characters used in advertising to children. I’ll grant it’s different if you’ll grant that it’s not all that different:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isn’t Count Chocula racist?

profitsbeard on April 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM

You can take my Captain Crunch when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

trs on April 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM

When do we start treating “regulators” the way they deserve?

Crawford on April 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

- TJ

WashJeff on April 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Kids don’t eat Cap’n Crunch anyway. It’s all us Gen-Xers.

fiatboomer on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Classic.

Go RBNY on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Hmmm… back a generation or so ago kids weren’t obese. What was the difference? It wasn’t because of a lack of sugary foods and greasy burgers. Could it be because parents allow kids to sit in front of the TV/gaming system for hours on end? And those same parents bring home McDonalds for dinner every night? Maybe the problem isn’t the food, maybe it’s our permissive society that only wants to make kids “feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good” that’s driven parents to feed them Happy Meals every night and plop them in front of the TV when they start whining.

Back when I was a kid we spent most sunny afternoons outside running around. Yeah, sometimes I whined about wanting to watch TV, but once I was outside I forgot what was so important on the tube that I just had to watch it.

Chuck the kids outside into the yard you paid for with that million dollar McMansion and watch the pounds come off.

crazy_legs on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

First Superman, and now this. God forgive me. I despise Liberals.

kingsjester on April 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM

With all due respect, and in this case, that is not saying much, have the geniuses who run the FTC drunk that deeply from the Michele Obama Kool-Aid trough to the degree that no one over there is thinking, but instead is reacting?

The solution is simple. If parents don’t want their kids eating this stuff, don’t buy it. Instead serve healthy alternatives in reasonable servings on a daily basis, while urging your kids to put down the video game controls, get up from in front of the TV set and go run around the yard or the playground like they should be doing in the first place.

The last I checked, there was not really that much rocket science involved in following those basic time-honored guidelines.

pilamaye on April 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM

If they can replace our light bulbs with something better for us …

Mercury is better for us?

Just kidding, put the hammer away, I am not a nail! :-)

Tony737 on April 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM

What if you have a hammer and a sickle?

(That joke never gets old with the Obama admin.

zmdavid on April 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Citing an epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancies, and adolescent mothers, regulators are taking aim at a range of tactics used to market products using sexually-themed marketing, including the use of seemingly pre-teen girls in print advertisements in adult, sex-charged situations, comedic advertisements for pee-pee enlargement, and pharmecutical ads selling pills that aid in using that newly found length and girth.

Now thats a press release you’ll only read in your dreams.

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The regulators do have a a point, ObamaO’s have a very bad influence on our kids.

WashJeff on April 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM

As a follow-up, if something is broken, get a hammer and whack it.

If it still doesn’t work, whack it even harder.

If it breaks, it probably needed replacing anyway.

pilamaye on April 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM

You can take my Captain Crunch when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Sadly Cap’n Crunch is no more. Quaker Oats made him walk the plank earlier this year.

simkeith on April 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Isn’t Count Chocula racist?

profitsbeard on April 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM

No. But Snap, Krackle, and Pop are.

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM

My two kids eat pretty much nothing for breakfast but Frosted Flakes and Cocoa Krispies. They really don’t care what character is on the box or in the TV ads. The damn cereal just tastes good.

They aren’t particularly athletic or active. And neither has an ounce of fat on them.

This is just more liberal busybodiness.

rockmom on April 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Gosh, the number of Mother’s Day cards I have to send out each year increases with each of these new regulations.

myrenovations on April 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Back when I was a kid we spent most sunny afternoons outside running around. – Crazy Legs

And it was a lot more fun that watching tv. We used to play hockey all day and ”jail break” all night.

We must be getting old … “When I was your age …”

Tony737 on April 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Kids don’t eat Cap’n Crunch anyway. It’s all us Gen-Xers.

fiatboomer on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Not me. I’m more of a Life, Cornpops, or AppleJacks broad.
Always gotta be the contrarian.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM

myrenovations on April 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Thread closed.

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Dittos on the comments about the generational changes. The Cap’n was my favorite (maybe still is), but we always exercised much more than our thumbs. And we didn’t have to pay to exercise on purpose – it just came naturally with our daily fun.

TexAz on April 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM

First Superman, and now this. God forgive me. I despise Liberals.
kingsjester on April 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM

You will take this nanny-state and love it. It’s for your own good, wingnuts, why can’t you appreciate that?

Vyce on April 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM

pilamaye on April 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM

My parents wouldn’t buy any cereal that listed sugar higher than the 3rd ingredient…they also wouldn’t by use an Atari because TI was more ‘educational’.
My father’s dead-but I’m gonna sue him for trauma anyway. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Get off my lawn!

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM

‘use’ should be ‘us’. Need. Coffee.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM

TexAz on April 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I didn’t vote for these jerk0ffs, and I cordially invite them to get the frak off my cereal box.

Sekhmet on April 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM

So is Barry going to hire a ‘regulator’ for each home? I suppose that would put a dent in unemployment – but would I be responsible for clothing, feeding and sheltering the “regulator”?

GarandFan on April 29, 2011 at 11:03 AM

In Soviet America, nail hammer you.

faraway on April 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I lean towards the theory out there that rocketing obesity overall in the U.S. started climbing after the gobmint subsidized corn farming–and when there was a glut of corn, the only thing they could do with it was use it as a replacement for sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup, present in almost every food we eat. http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/04/26/high-fructose-corn-syrup-vs-sugar/

It’s a debatable issue, but it does seem rather interesting that about the time high fructose corn syrup’s use exploded, so did American’s waistlines….

theotherone on April 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Soon to be retired – Tony the Tiger, Dig’Em the Honey Smacks frog, Sugar Bear, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, and the Corn Flakes rooster.

teke184 on April 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I love Frosted Mini-Wheats, but occasionally, I gotta have my sugary, totally forbidden by my mother when I was growing up cereal.

Children are obese because they don’t exercise, not because they are caught in the hypnotic rays of Cap’n Crunch.

Liberals are all about government getting out of the bedroom, so how come government on your cereal box is OK?

Sekhmet on April 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Can we Please stop calling those anti-liberty Socialists ‘Liberals’ now?

Liberty is the absolute last thing they want and that self labeling is just another of a long string of LIES from the Left.

Chip on April 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM

No child could ever become obese eating Cap’n Crunch! After eating one bowl the roof of your mouth is shredded as if you’d eaten razor blades requiring at least 3-4 days of healing/recovery before eating another bowl.

BadMojo on April 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I ate sugary cerals every morning growing up with a side of toast and I was skinny as a rail and very healthy and have remained so until my current age of 39. I also played outside all day on non school days and our schools still had recess. Coincidence? I think not! Parents get your fatty fat fatties outside, quit making excuses for your poor parenting. I for one am tired of hearing about it and tired of the government getting involved because you can’t handle your responsibilities. I don’t care how little time you have.

gator70 on April 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Heaven forbid the world be a colorful, exciting place. We’re all too stupid. Cereal will be sold in black and white packages and will contain no more than 0grams of sugar. The government knows what’s good for us.

Vera on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I grew up on Sugar Smacks and Super Sugar Crisp. Skinny little runt my entire childhood. I agree with the “Grumpy Old Man” consensus of getting kids outside and playing.

cjtony97 on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

crazy_legs on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Can’t. Tag, out. Kickball, banned. Dodgeball, too dangerous. Digging in the dirt or throwing dirtclods at each other, we’ll that’s just talking crazy.

BacaDog on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I’ll give up my CapNCrunch when MO gives up her buttery lobsters and loses some of that junk in the trunk. Such a hippocrite (sic)

Key West Reader on April 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Yup, I remember “jail break”. Capture the flag also. And don’t forget – bikes, bikes, bikes and more bikes!

Even when kids whined about wanting to watch TV instead of play outside, you always wound up having more fun outside than you ever would have inside. I just can’t imagine that any video game is more fun than a kid’s imagination unleashed. That’s the problem – stifiling of imagination – not Cap’n Crunch and Ronald McDonald.

crazy_legs on April 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his assent to their acts of pretended legislation

For imposing taxes on us without our consent

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian savages, whose known rule of warfare, is undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

We’re gettin’ closer all the time.

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

crazy_legs on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

But they are trying to ban tag & dodgeball as well. How dare kids self organize and do for themselves. They might start thinking like individuals and not rely on the government for everything.

rbj on April 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Well played, Bob. Well played.

BacaDog on April 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

BadMojo on April 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I thought it was just me

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Vera on April 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Remember the good ole days of Jimmah Cartah when we all had to buy generic food in black and white boxes?

Obamalaise.

Key West Reader on April 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Looking at the two pictures, the one on the right is the one who is hones and should be kept. The cartoon character on the left should be discarded (and hopefully will be).

sabbahillel on April 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

crazy_legs on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

And PE wasn’t about “self-esteem”. You got whacked with a dodge ball you tried to whack someone else.

marinetbryant on April 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Back when I was a kid we spent most sunny afternoons outside running around.

These are the same Safety Nazis that removed all the Jungle Jims, swing sets, slides, and merry-go-rounds from public parks and toy stores. And now they wonder why kids don’t go outside to play and are getting fat. Let’s face it: A liberal is someone who wants to make sure nobody has any fun — unless it’s with sex.

Socratease on April 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

BadMojo on April 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I thought it was just me

“Why do you want me to put a hit out on this Count Chocula?”

“The sonofab!tch is spreading lies about me! My cereal DOES NOT cut up the roof of your mouth!”

teke184 on April 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM

It is past time for corporations to start ignoring the FTC, along with the FDA, the EPA, and the FWS.

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

The story goes on to say the regulations are “voluntary” but…..

WTF, exactly, is a “voluntary regulation”?

“Here is a rule you don’t have to comply with”

Whats the purpose of having the rule?

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

How about “no food stamps for fat people” for a start?

Adjoran on April 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

teke184 on April 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Hah!

BadMojo on April 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Not only do I eat Captn’ Crunch for breakfast, I also grind it up and coat chicken strips in it and deep fry them for dinner sometimes. Delicious!

milwife88 on April 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

We usually buy our kids Cheereos and Rice Krispies … but I think today I’ll get something a little more sugary. Bite me, FTC.

Tony737 on April 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

To quote from the most visionary movie of our times:

“Can I get some salt?”

“Salt is bad for you, and therefore illegal.”

grahampowell on April 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Here is the problem I have:

Cap’n Crunch and Frosted Flakes have been around since the 1960′s. Sodas as we know them have been around much longer. Happy Meals have been around since the mid 1970′s.

We didn’t have a problem with childhood obesity until the early 2000′s. Why. The problem isn’t the foods.

The problems are:

Video games
Cable TV
Internet

Kids are sitting on their butts all day in the house instead of being outside playing all day the way we did when we were kids. I was on my bike or running around or walking somewhere or playing in the woods practically all day long when I was a kid. These kids now are sitting at their xbox, playing Club Penguin or watching iCarly. Their parents won’t let them out of the house to just go out and play.

THAT is the reason we have fat kids, it isn’t because of the food.

This is simply treating a symptom, it isn’t getting at the real cause of the problem.

If you want fitter children, get with your neighbors, PTA etc. and encourage people to get rid of the xbox, get rid of the internet for the kids, get rid of the cable TV and send the kids out to play.

crosspatch on April 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Oh, and if you want fitter ADULTS, get rid of the remote control, get rid of the microwave oven, and get rid of the cordless phone.

If you had to make everything on the stove and had to stand there are watch it rather than throwing a half a dozen “Hot Pockets” in the microwave, people wouldn’t each so damned much and would probably eat better.

crosspatch on April 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Why that’s so very politically incorrect!

Sadly, I’ll bet that 90% or more of our younger population have even seen or heard those words.

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Here is an excellent place to start learning about the TRUE causes of obesity. It will open your eyes.
These lectures are like ~1hour each, but given by guys researching the stuff.
It’s your mostly genes!

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

They’re looking at food marketed to children. They mean liberals right?

abcurtis on April 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM

And what about the interesting possible correlation to human agriculture?
There are really not more fat people these days.
We just perceive it that way.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Meant “eat” so much, dangit.

crosspatch on April 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

And drank from a hose when we got thirsty…not from a recylcable water bottle. There’s nothing more comforting than the taste of garden hose water to bring back childhood memories. BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Akzed on April 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

If the kids were outside playing, they wouldn’t be sitting inside playing Halo munching a Hot Pocket.

crosspatch on April 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

crosspatch on April 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Yes. That, plus put ‘em to work washing the car, mowing the lawn, painting the whatever, vacuuming the house, taking out the trash, sweeping the garage, hoeing the garden, and so forth.

My personal favorites were working the hay and tobacco, but I realize that those playtime activities aren’t available to most.

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Yes, they replaced our nice cheap safe bulbs with mercury-laden, cancer-causing, expensive bio-hazards.

Can’t wait to see what they replace our breakfast cereals with.

AZCoyote on April 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

When do we start treating “regulators” the way they deserve?

Crawford on April 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM

You fight regulators with regulators……the Old West kind!

cartooner on April 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Can’t wait to see what they replace our breakfast cereals with.

AZCoyote on April 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Expect grains to get a lot more expensive.
Truck drivers in rural areas are starting to get hammered on when it comes to being over loaded.
Rural roads’ weight limits are extremely unrealistic.
Plus obviously the costs of fertilizer, chemical & diesel.
Commodity prices may be high, but I assure you, the farmer & rancher aren’t making the profits you think they are.
After 10 yrs of drought & low prices, a year or 2 of really high prices is not going to make a dent in things.
Food’s going to go up even more.
Bet on it.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Why that’s so very politically incorrect!

Sadly, I’ll bet that 90% or more of our younger population have never seen nor heard those words.

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

fifm

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I hear $8 corn. Maybe even $12.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The government is regulating children’s cereal box designs.

The government has an excessive budget.

QED

Over50 on April 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Tsk tsk tsk..

We’ll take these one at a time.

1) washing the car Wastes water. America only holds 6% of the fresh water reserves on Earth, yet consumes 74% of the fresh water capacity; everytime you wash your car, 6 children in Pakistan die of dehydration. Phosphates in the waste water kills fish species we haven’t found yet; evaporating water adds to the greenhouse gas crisis.

2) mowing the lawn Greenhouse gasses, creates thatch, removes natural cover for rats, ferral cats, and snakes.

3) painting the whatever Adds volatiles to the atmosphere (ozone killing, greenhouse, and just plain stink sometimes), dare I say “lead poisoning”?, and without strick regulation, someone may paint their house a color I don’t approve of.

4) vacuuming the house Consumes electricity, thereby causing more fossile fuel burning = global warming. Ever hear of a broom? You should be more of a citizen of earth, and live on dirt floors. There are some countries in Africa where there is not a single vacuum cleaner. Don’t hear them complaining about dirty floors.

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

LEAVE.CAPN’.CRUNCH.ALONE.

Ok this demands a poll:

How many overweight/obese children have you seen this month?

a-2 or less

b-5 or less

c-8 or more

d-None

e-Don’t remember/No opinion

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I wrote that because in my case, is a. And if I go to a amusement park, large or small it’s b. My kids are NOT overweight; in fact their metabolism is so quit they constantly munch and that’s the secret to weight loss.

Have a snack in between meals, pref. yogurt, 1 oz. of almonds or baby carrots with lil’ dip. Reward yourself with a cookie at the end of the day, about half an hour AFTER dinner.

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Oh and eat from a salad plate, or use your kids’ dinnerwear. Don’t cheat making a pile of pasta on top! Go to a health-food store and buy a jar of L-Glutamine/Glutamate. That’s on most of shakes, and those bodybuilder’s huge tubs.

There. By fall you’ll lose 15 lbs. or more; thank me later.

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Put a picture of Michelle Obama on every box of cereal.

THAT would fix it.

Roy Rogers on April 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I keep plenty of carrots, celery, yogurt, etc. around for my kids to snack on, too. If they want something sweet, melon or pineapple chunks. They love it.

But the key point is getting outside riding the bike, running, and playing.

crosspatch on April 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

No colorful characters?

Why not, we have a president who is one!

Wander on April 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

And even then they want to sap the fun out, from making people feel guilty when they haven’t “experimented” with homosexual sex, making people feel like they’re “missing something” when they’re not sleeping with multiple partners, and then the whole “suck the baby’s brains out” thing.

crazy_legs on April 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM

How many overweight/obese children have you seen this month?

a-2 or less

b-5 or less

c-8 or more

d-None

e-Don’t remember/No opinion

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM

There really isn’t a rise in obesity compared to times past.
Even active people have fat & could be considered obses by today’s standards.
Learn more about the true causes of obesity in humans.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM

BTW-from what I know, multiple meals during the day do not change your metabolism.
From what I understand, reading through material (not news mags), you are not altering your metabolism in this way.
Hormones.
And genes.
Check it out.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

First they came for Joe Camel….

I tried to warn them but they just laughed…

golfmann on April 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Badger40, I get it. There’s people that workout their rear ends off and it does not pay off. For those it’s not easy but at least they can achieve something.

Moochelle should mingle with commoners (I feel “royal” today), unless all she sees is fat kids. If that’s the case she should have her head examined, along with her eyes.

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Make Michelle the spokeswoman for all foods….turn everyone off eating….except Michelle.

albill on April 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM

ProudPalinFan on April 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I don’t worry much about my wieght.
Every year I get my layer of winter fat, every spring I lose it.
At almost 42yo, I’m not the svelt young thing I once was.
But I personally accept the changes, wrinkles & all, bcs to obsess about it can be harmful too.
I’m happy for the most part.
For those who really do have big weight problems, i think understanding the real causes behind it is worthwhile.
Obesity runs in families for a reason.
And some fat people are not lazy.
In fact, I know many obese people who work really phsically hard.
It has always been like this.
But we have more people with access to more food & more sedentary lifestyles, plus we have media to show every single thing to us immediately.
It warps our preception.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Part of the problem, no doubt. But don’t forget the fake food pyramid came out about the same time – encouraging healthy doses of processed carbs.

cktheman on April 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM

When do we start treating “regulators” the way they deserve?

Crawford on April 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Lynching is still illegal. And we can’t ethically keep them from procreating.

gryphon202 on April 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

cktheman on April 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM

This cannot be stated enough.
The diet ‘research’ does not have conclusive data.
Scientists need to really pick that apart & start the process over.
Humans need proteins. Carbs are energy, but for cell processes, more than just ‘glucose’ is needed.
You gotta be able to undergo cell division.
And proteins are needed for that.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Cap’n Crunch French Toast is yummy.

redridinghood on April 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Let’s face it: A liberal is someone who wants to make sure nobody has any fun — unless it’s with someone of the same sex.

Socratease on April 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

FIFY

rmel80 on April 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM

They’re looking at food marketed to children. They mean liberals right?

abcurtis on April 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Maybe they should just change the name to Cap’n Trade.

redridinghood on April 29, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I lean towards the theoryhypothesis out there that rocketing obesity overall in the U.S. started climbing after the gobmint subsidized corn farming–and when there was a glut of corn, the only thing they could do with it was use it as a replacement for sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup, present in almost every food we eat

cktheman on April 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM

An important distinction.
Theories have a lot of data to back them up over much trial & usually many years of data.
Hypotheses are a step lower, where this idea belongs.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Maybe they should just change the name to Cap’n Trade.

redridinghood on April 29, 2011 at 1:11 PM

+1!

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

It’s not just the fact that they don’t get exercise at home. They don’t get it at school, either.

When I was a kid, we had PE every day of our lives through high school, and recess, as well, every day of our lives in elementary school.

I was shocked that this was not the case with my kids (now in college). They had no P.E. OR recess at all in elementary school; and in middle and high school, only an occasional year of P.E. required.

Alana on April 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Alana on April 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM

In our school, we still have elementary recess & PE.
But they’re cutting recess time by 20 min/day bcs of ‘bullying’.

Badger40 on April 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM

theotherone on April 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

It’s debatable all right, and probably utterly false, since high fructose corn syrup is proven to be metabolized no differently than sugar, and it actually has a sweeter taste than sugar, which allows for using LESS of it than sugar.

When I was a kid, I was skinny because I ran around outside, non-stop, from the minute I got out of bed in the morning.

JannyMae on April 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM

New FTC Guidelines Take Aim at Children’s Food Pitchmen

This is ABSOLUTE PROOF that we can drastically cut spending without affecting any important public or private sector activity.

QUESTION: How many employees work for the FTC? What will happen (or not happen) if we downsize to 10% of that number?

Now on to Homeland Security, EPA, and Energy…

landlines on April 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM