Know What’ll Help You with High Gas Prices? A Democratic Form Letter!

posted at 5:30 pm on April 29, 2011 by Jimmie Bise, Jr

With gasoline prices climbing toward $5 a gallon faster than a cat going up a tree while being chased by a pack of hellhounds, it’s become difficult for even the most obtuse politicians to ignore the clamor from the American public. “Drill, Baby, Drill” is fast becoming the “Don’t Tread on Me” of our day. Even Bill Clinton agrees that it makes no sense for our vast resources to lie untapped right now.

Yet there are at least a couple Democrats who are holding onto their obtuseness with an unbreakable grip. Ward Smythe, writing at the Bearing Drift blog, reprinted an e-mail he got from Virginia Senator Mark Warner on the matter:

Finding the lowest gas prices in your area and researching alternative ways of reducing your fuel consumption can help ease the burden of these cost increases.

[...]

I hope these resources help you reduce your fuel costs and drive in a smarter, more wallet-friendly manner. If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

What followed were a couple links to websites where you can find the least expensive gas in your area and tips on how to get better gas mileage. He spent precious few characters on how he intended to end the relentless climb of gasoline prices nor did he bother to explain how he might put a few more bucks in Mr. Smythe’s pocket by prying the government’s strangling hands from around the neck of the economy.

If that was the whole story, it would be bad enough. I can’t imagine how much arrogance it would take to send out an unsolicited e-mail to constituents that says, basically, “Yeah, gas is expensive. Suck it up.”. But there’s more.

On a whim I decided to run part of Warner’s e-mail through Google to see what might come up. Guess what I found?

I’ve heard from many of you about the skyrocketing gas prices over the past few months and I understand the strain that these dramatic increases can place on your family budgets.  Finding the lowest gas prices in your area and researching alternative ways of reducing your fuel consumption can ease the burden of these drastic cost increases.

[...]

Does that look familiar? It comes from the website of Corrine Brown, Democratic Representative from Florida’s 3rd District (which includes the city of Jacksonville as well as a chunk of the state bounded by Gainesville and Orlando). Her advice differs from Warners in only one detail — she recommends we buy a more fuel-efficient car instead of finding a cheaper gas station. Otherwise, the two messages are identical.

I can’t believe that Warner and Brown came up with the same talking points on their own. I’m willing to bet that there is a talking point memorandum floating around Capitol Hill even now from someone inside the Democratic Party and I’d be very interested to see if anyone else has received this e-mail from their member of Congress.

Gas prices in both Virginia ($3.81/gallon) and Florida ($3.86/gallon)  have gone up about 30 cents in the past month and a dollar in the past year. Nationally, the average price for a gallon of gas is $3.91, up from $2.88 a year ago and $2.04 in April 2009. In the face of those increases, Democrats have steadfastly resisted all efforts to drill for oil in the United States. The President, who is so opposed to domestic production that he defied a judge’s order and reinstated his Gulf drilling ban, ponied up $2 billion taxpayer dollars in 2009 to encourage Brazil to drill more so that we can become its “best customer”. Neither Warner nor Brown serve their constituents well with a glib e-mail or web page. They need to reject the talking points they’ve apparently been given and get behind the rest of America.

Heck, if they really want a talking point, I’ll suggest one: Drill Here; Drill Now.

(via @the_zarf on Twitter)

Comments

Second look at tire inflation pressure?

Rebar on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Drill baby drill.

Snaqwels on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Sure drive around 1/2 an hour looking for cheap gas prices. What a pathetic idea.

fourdeucer on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I bet they don’t reccomend shopping at Walmart to save a few bucks.

fourdeucer on April 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM

That’s “Democrat” form letter, if you are an informed person.

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Good. I hope they send these to everyone in the U.S. and territories with a pulse.

cynccook on April 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Get a tune up and inflate your tires

Kini on April 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

The high prices are what they wanted. It will force people to drive less, use public transportation, and buy mini-cars. The only downside to the Dhimms is that gas prices are high on their own, and not via excessive taxes. Of course they can fix that last part by taxing the begeezus out of the oil companies, so a win-win for the left.

iurockhead on April 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Wow! $3.89/gallon that’s cheap, and unattainable, in the Chicago area.

WashJeff on April 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

…and shut up this foolish carping about “big Oil Company Profits“…at least until the Oil Companies, which actually PRODUCE something useful, are allowed to make as much from a gallon of gas as the unproductive, GREEDY GOVERNMENT leechocracy does!!!!

DRILL HERE!!! DRILL NOW!!!

landlines on April 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I miss commenter “Highhopes”. Good days gone!

obleo on April 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM

“Drill, Baby, Drill” the path to victory for the Right. Should they find the nerve.

Sharr on April 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Second look at tire inflation pressure?

Rebar on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

See, if we’d all just go out and buy a 41,000 dollar Volt with properly inflated tires, the problem would be solved!

G M on April 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I’ve heard from many of you about the skyrocketing gas prices and…blah, blah, blah…..please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Translation: F*ck You America

infidel4life on April 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM

alternative ways of reducing your fuel consumption

Sweaters and Carter come to mind…

RalphyBoy on April 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM

…and also shut up about ending Government subsidies for big oil. Federal, state & local govts collect an average of $0.41/gal in taxes while big oil makes less than $0.03/gal in profits. We need to change the narrative to “End Big Oil’s subsidies to the Govt”.

JSGreg3 on April 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I miss commenter “Highhopes”. Good days gone!

obleo on April 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I can’t remember exactly why highhopes got the ban hammer, but the birth certificate discussion would definitely have brought it down, that I know.

DaydreamBeliever on April 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM

You know, I live in Virginia, have voted in every election since moving here (18+ years) and yet have never received anything from our new Senator Warner. I haven’t received anything from Webb either. Maybe they only consider Democrats their constituents.

zoyclem on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Skyrocketing gas prices…

You know who told us energy prices would “skyrocket”? Yup, from Obama’s own lips, this is all part of his plan.

Its a pity the American people didn’t take the warning and advice about him from a very smart lady on this last time around. Perhaps they needed to endure it to get it? “Drill, baby drill!” seems a much more cogent policy than some so called smart people would have us do.

Sharr on April 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Obama wanted high gas prices and that’s what he got! Did anyone see him saying just that in an interview before the idiots in this country voted for him!

Bambi on April 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

It’s interesting that you posted a photo of the price at a Mobil station. I stopped at Mobil this morning and they raised the price 2 more cents while I was filling up (bringing the total price increase to 11 cents this week.

Regular in the Detroit area is around $4.09 (cash price).

bw222 on April 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

When Bush was there for $4 gas… it was a daily thing to hear him being cursed at work… Not a single time… NOT ONCE… have I heard Obarry’s name mentioned at work over the past 2 or 3 months.
They are all (Zero’s base, mods who voted Barry in, the MSM, all of them) covering for this nothing of a leader. It is amazing that humans can stick their heads so far up their own a**es for a man who cares not a bit about their hardships… And it is sad at the same time.

RalphyBoy on April 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Sharr on April 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

But, we’re loaning Petrobras (George Soros) $2.5 billion to drill off the coast of Brazil. We have promised the Brazilians that we will buy lots of oil from them and we just loaned the Columbians $2 billion to build a refinery. What more do you want?/sarc.

bw222 on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

don’t forget to air up those tires!

kringeesmom on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

So basically what Democrats are saying is “suck it up because I don’t give a damn and it’s your fault anyway.”

RadClown on April 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Just as I finished filling up my Xterra this morning for the outrageous sum of sixty bucks, an old friend pulled in to fill up. He had nothing but bad things to say about Obama’s horrible gas prices. I agreed.

JimK on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I miss commenter “Highhopes”. Good days gone!

obleo on April 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Yeah, he is missed here also. I loved his opening tirades.

fourdeucer on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I’m check’in my tire pressure every 4 hours and the price of gas is still go’in up….what gives?? Damn you…Comrade Barry.

joe btfsplk on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I know two good ways to lower gas prices.

Tar and feathers.

CurtZHP on April 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM

There is another alternative. VOTE THESE ARROGANT BASTARDS OUT OF OFFICE!

Local gas $4.30/gallon

GarandFan on April 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I finally saw a note on a gas pump with Obama’s picture and a caption that read “Here’s the Hope and Change I promised, get used to it”. Gas was $3.79, I figure $2 of that is directly related to Obama’s no drill policy. I’m making my own similar stickers to put on every gas pump I pull up to.

MJZZZ on April 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I’m a firm believer of drill baby drill. I say get out there and bring it in. Supplies though, I’ve heard, aren’t the problem. It’s the d@mn speculators. I’ve no doubts Soros is behind this. Until we regulate them, this problem isn’t going anywhere, and notice how no Dems want to do a thing about the speculators?

capejasmine on April 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM

zoyclem on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I sent both of them an email b!tching about something and that put me on their mailing lists. I get crap from both of them now. I’ve never gotten anything I considered worthwhile. I’m also on my congressman’s mailing list and the one for a neighboring district and they’re both fairly informative without a lot of party rhetoric.

Oldnuke on April 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM

“I’ve heard from many of you about the skyrocketing gas prices and I understand the strain that these dramatic increases are placing on family budgets.”

Really…?

How many politicians from the Federal, State, and Local level actually buy their own gas?

If they don’t have a private car and driver…

… they have a gas card which the tax payers pay for.

Call them out on it…!

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Wow! 3.89 would be a bargain! In Western MI we are paying 4.19
Haven’t seen a sticky note yet. Maybe I’ll be the instigator for this area

ZeeMI on April 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

capejasmine on April 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM

The price of oil hasn’t gone up, the value of the dollar has gone down.

G M on April 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

zoyclem on April 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Oh, one other thing. Wittman, my congressman, holds occasional telephone town halls and I get invites to those. He actually takes questions and tries to answer them. Don’t know if your guy does that or not but it would be worth your while to check it out.

Oldnuke on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Southern California…

… $4.25/gal for regular.

Even the illegals are getting pissed off…

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Even the illegals are getting pissed off…

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Make sure you let them know that it’s $2.something back in Mexico, and the border is open.

Oldnuke on April 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Remember the Obama energy plan?

mizflame98 on April 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM

We should get a movement going and mail drill bits to the White House…Who’s with me?

CynicalOptimist on April 29, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Also, driving 55 miles an hour might help.

fenryys on April 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Perhaps it is time for certain States to scratch the side of their nose with their middle finger, directed toward Barry, and then turn the drillers loose on the lands within their borders that has potential. Urge the citizens to prepare to offer protection for the drillers. :-)

Yoop on April 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM

In this part of NoVA the stations do not want to cross the $4/gal barrier… its been at $3.99 for a couple of weeks now. And if your time is precious to you, saving the money isn’t worth the time taken out of your life to get it.

ajacksonian on April 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM

How about putting the Gulf oil platforms back to work?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Too late for Barry.He can’t get unstuck from this tarbaby now unless he throws caution to the winds, along with his enviormentalist crazy base, and goes whole hog into drilling, coal, distilling plants, etc. Time’s awastin’ and 2012 is dead ahead.

a capella on April 29, 2011 at 7:02 PM

For a group of politicians that says “WE’RE FOR THE LITTLE GUY…” I’d like to know how putting $50 in gas in my Suburu is better than buying that extra day of food for my kids??? HOW EXACTLY IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR US?

BrainofS on April 29, 2011 at 7:05 PM

“faster than a cat going up a tree while being chased by a pack of hellhounds”

That creative writing correspondence course really paid off, Jimmie!

KS Rex on April 29, 2011 at 7:09 PM

JimK on April 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

..old 2000 Jeep Cherokee here: $71.50 each time. Here’s what we can say to cheap gas prices any time soon.

The War Planner on April 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Hey CommieCrats! I don’t want to buy a new car. I want cheaper fuel. Starting issuing drilling permits you fracking morons!

jawkneemusic on April 29, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Here in central Ohio gas is 4.15 and I can get e85 for 3.15 for now. I have noticed that the e85 price tends to be more stable and does not go up as fast as regular gas does.

Patricksp on April 29, 2011 at 8:02 PM

These jackasses must think their constituents are dumb as rocks.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Here’s another “form letter” we can all use to remind everyone just how much the price of gas has jumped since Obama took office. Who’s up for a little gas pump activism?

Kevin71 on April 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM

These jackasses must think their constituents are dumb as rocks.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 8:17 PM

You kidding? Corrine Brown is dumber than a bag of Wassermann-Schultz. A severely gerrymandered district to ensure maximum black constituency. She’s safe.

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Second look at tire inflation pressure?

Rebar on April 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM

My first thought exactly. So I wondered, has anyone mentioned this yet?

OK, first comment,

Next?

pain train on April 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM

They are doing this on purpose, (for Gaia) and we need to package it as a tax on the poor.

scotash on April 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Lanceman on April 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I don’t deny they’re safe (and don’t assume that they themselves are smarter than rocks). My point is that they don’t think very highly of the intellectual abilities of their constituents (which is a typical Dem trait). If they did they wouldn’t insult them like this. It’s reminiscent of The O telling us to check our tire pressure.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM

MJZZZ on April 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Awesome! I put my first post it note on a gas pump today. I hope this idea spreads. I think the main reason people aren’t openly blaming Obama is because of the thugocracy he has created. Never in my life have I questioned the legality of so many little things I do daily. Our government is repressive.

txhsmom on April 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM

So prices are up over a dollar a gallon in the past year, but there’s been no drastic decrease in supply or increase in demand, and not nearly enough to justify a 1/3 increase in price. The problem is CLEARLY not a supply/demand issue. Open up your eyes here people.

Rainsford on April 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Rainsford on April 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM

What part of “Drilling Moratorium” do you not understand? There’s been a definite decrease in supply from the Gulf and increase in demand from ME countries that are on fire.

txhsmom on April 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

When O’Reilly and Obama are on the same page you know you’re being had.

LCT688 on April 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, but we can’t forget that the oil businessmen are still enjoying huge net profits . If they’re not going to make any more money by supplying more, and possibly even lose money if they supply more, then why should they? What we have to pay is immaterial in a free market economy.

The Socialist argument is that the State should control and regulate those basic resources and means of production vital to a society’s functioning. They could care less about the price of Zhu Zhu Pets.

So, if the gas prices go up high enough and we scream loud enough, there will be an opportunity for them to nationalize oil resources-which they’ve already done to a great extent by restricting drilling.

If that happens we’ll face shortages, even higher prices, etc. and the oil companies will still make profits.

The ballot box matters little if we Commoners can be controlled and manipulated by the basic needs for food, water, and energy. We will be forced to tolerate our owners as any pet does.

The moral of the story is as a society becomes more advanced, we become more reliant on technology, we become more reliant on others, and our lifestyles improve we face losing more of our Liberties in exchange.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM

No ‘silver bullet’ to bring down gas prices?

Gas prices dropped from $4.11 to $1.67 per gallon over the next 6 months under President Bush after just one speech on July 14, 2008 when he ended an Executive Order that restricted offshore drilling and later the Democratic Congress caved on their restrictions on drilling. Four days after Bush’s speech, the price of oil had dropped 12%.

That Executive Order was reversed by President Obama on February 10, 2009.

Short memories. SELECTIVELY short memories.

amr on April 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Rainsford on April 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM

1. Worldwide demand has increased post the 2008 lull where demand tanked thanks to the depression/recession.

2. Supply has decreased thanks to the permitorium in the Gulf. Supply will decrease further if the EPA succeeds with their schemes to shut down production because of the threat to mankind and the planet from emissions from ice-breakers.

2. Because we are so dependent on supply from the Middle East, we are vulnerable to political events/turmoil which causes commodity prices to rise.

3. QE2 and its role in the declining value of the dollar has caused commodity prices across the board to rise. Oil, Wheat, sugar, coffee – yadda yadda yadda.

4. Citizens in countries which produce their own oil benefit from low gas prices. Not to mention the increased jobs, royalties and tax revenue they enjoy.

But hey, go ahead and argue that we don’t need to access our own abundant resources and that the evil oil companies who make about 2 cents on the gallon are villains. No doubt CREDO and similar groups would be happy to put a petition together for ya.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I’ve heard from many of you about the skyrocketing gas prices and I understand the strain that these dramatic Democratic increases are placing on family budgets.

FIFY

liberty0 on April 30, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Another option is to elect a President and Legislators that aren’t afraid to use our own energy reserves. Their strange ideas to starve Americans of abundant cheap energy is going to cost many their positions of power in 2012.

RJL on April 30, 2011 at 2:02 AM

“Drill, Baby, Drill”

That used to be a good slogan. How ’bout we update it to “Drill, Damn-it, Drill!”

Squiggy on April 30, 2011 at 7:12 AM

If our dear leader and his lovely wife had to pay for their own gas and electric bills, they’d stay home more and sit around with a sweater on. That’d be one govt budget cut I could get behind.

Kissmygrits on April 30, 2011 at 9:48 AM

$3.60 for diesel? What the hell state has diesel that is not only that “cheap” but it is significantly less than gasoline, as it should be?

Diesel is one of the end products of the refining process, along with fuel oil and kerosene. Why it is always more expensive than even premium gasoline is in states like Florida and Louisiana is beyond me.

CatchAll on April 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Just “trade-in” your cars and trucks for ones that get better gas mileage, Duh!

Oh yeah, and then eat some cake.

hawkdriver on May 1, 2011 at 8:50 AM