The biggest media event in the history of history

posted at 9:56 pm on April 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

The time has come. And before you say anything: Yes, in fact, I do have to blog it. There’s no avoiding it, my friends. It’s a media black hole from which no light, mass, or dignity can escape. As I write this, Fox News has preempted “Hannity” for a royal wedding special co-hosted by Shep Smith, who’s somehow managed to hold down the vomit despite his famous queasiness over inane pseudo-news like car chases and Birtherism and Paris Hilton gossip. Even Shep’s been assimilated. What hope do the rest of us have?

I’m not kidding about it being the biggest media event in the history of ever:

Some 8,000 reporters and support staff have descended on the capital to capture the occasion in words and images, and, while some question a British government estimate of a global audience of two billion, hundreds of millions are certain to tune in.

Die-hard fans camped out across the street from the abbey to ensure a front-row view of the royal couple and their guests, who start arriving at the abbey from 8:15 a.m. (0715 GMT) in time for the 11 a.m. start of the service. Others will be there early on Friday…

In a surprise walkabout on Thursday evening, the groom reached into the crowds waiting on the Mall, the avenue leading to Buckingham Palace, shaking hands and chatting happily with delighted members of the public…

The monarchy officially costs the British taxpayer around 40 million pounds ($67 million) a year, while anti-royalists put the figure at closer to 180 million pounds.

If you think this sort of frivolity is beneath the standards of more august newspapers, think again. The NYT will be liveblogging it all day tomorrow and the Journal — yes, that Journal — has created a special section devoted entirely to celebratin’ the love. Tomorrow’s expected economic effect: 50 million pounds for the UK in additional tourist revenue and … $10 billion lost in lower productivity. No one knows what the effect will be globally but some tech experts think interest online might be so intense that the whole damned Web could implode. Which, if true, would be poetic: A medium infamous for smut would have finally been brought down by marriage. Aw.

The pageant begins at 6 a.m. ET; some of you, despite your denials, will be up early to tune in, if only to watch Shep in a death struggle with his snark instinct. A prediction: Reaction online tomorrow morning will be dominated by an “I can’t believe society is this stupid” backlash, followed inexorably in the afternoon by an “oh, calm down, they seem nice and weddings are fun” backlash to the backlash, and ending tomorrow night with a “yeah, there’s no need to insult the couple but this was awfully stupid” backlash to the backlash to the backlash. God save the ‘Net.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

OT: Good news for the week:

Obama’s Approval Remains at All-Time Low for Second Week in Row, Says Gallup
Thursday, April 28, 2011

- – - –

There has to be at least a 10 point Bradley affect in place during this polling. I can’t imagine 4 in 10 think this bozo is doing a good job. Dayum.

karenhasfreedom on April 29, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Prince Harry’s hair just kills me. It’s always a woolly mess. LOL!

mizflame98 on April 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM

PS..But as I have said many times.. I like Fergie!..:)

Dire Straits on April 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

That’s because Fergie has always been down to earth and never put on airs. Remember when the British press had an absolute fit over the house they built? It was so…American (gasp!)

mizflame98 on April 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM

karenhasfreedom on April 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

It was in headlines earlier: an Australian tv station wanted to do comedic commentary during the live feed of the wedding. Prince Charles nixed it. I’m very glad.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 29, 2011 at 8:54 AM

mizflame98 on April 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Great point!..That is why I like her!..:)

Dire Straits on April 29, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Best wishes to the bride and groom for a happy and bountiful life; may they fulfill the #1 purpose of marriage as noted by the Archbishop in the glorious Anglican Christian ceremony: Increase

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

AG, glad that didn’t happen, that really would have been disrespectful of everything, the solemn occasion, to the people they would have made fun of, etc. wow. tasteless.

karenhasfreedom on April 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Here’s an odd thought: It’s their Tea Party. Looks at those 100,000x cheering patriots. We should cheer anywhere a good people of a good country rally to their flag and their heritage. How odd: A monarchist Tea Party! So, Oh hell, I’ll say it: God bless the Constitution! and God save the Queen! So sue me.

dhimwit on April 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM

dhimwit on April 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Amen. They are our staunch allies. I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Queen Elizabeth (it helps that my granny was born and raised in England).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Classic, AllahPundit, classic.
I am very much a small “r” republican, gald of our Revolution, but best of luck to the couple.

rbj on April 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM

It was fun to watch the wedding, the pageantry and tradition is amazing. It was a temporary happy distraction from the destruction in Alabama, Texas and other areas in the South.

Fallon on April 29, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Kate is just magnificent. A wonderful Queen she will be someday. I believe she will end up more popular than the Queen Mother was.

That gown is just impeccable. I have seen Diana’s dress on display, as well as Princess Grace’s, and this one certainly will hold its place in the history of fashion with them. Sarah Burton must be the toast of England today!

rockmom on April 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM

That was lovely. It’s nice to see that much good will in the world. I was flipping through the stations and one of the commentators(British) was nice enough to send best wishes to the folks in Alabama, to let them know they weren’t being forgotten. Now for my only piece of snark, did the illustrator for Dr. Seuss books design Princesses Beatrice and Eugenia’s outfits. Sorry to be mean but geesh.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Their hats were very strange!..:)

Dire Straits on April 29, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Yes! That’s it! I knew they reminded me of something.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM

rockmom on April 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Prince William and Kate are a class act. Someone on BBC’s twitter commented that they set a wonderful example for their generation, and I think that’s true. After watching “The King’s Speech”, I have a renewed appreciation for the sense of duty that accompanies being part of the monarchy and the burden that carries. It appears just by her sense of decorum that Kate Middleton understands precisely what she has married into and intends to serve with grace. Prince William has always seemed older than his years. Perhaps losing his mother in such a tragic and public fashion shaped his acceptance of his role as future king. It’s funny because I was a teenager when Diana and Prince Charles married and I don’t remember Diana looking as composed and confident as Kate Middleton did today.

The only moment that truly brought tears to my eyes was the flyover of those WW2 planes. That is a magnificent tribute to the history and steadfastness of the Brits.

piglet on April 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Since all the women who attended wore those flamboyant hats, I was wondering if Elton John forgot his.

mizflame98 on April 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM

mizflame98 on April 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM

LOL!..When I saw him on TV I do not think he had a hat!..:)

Dire Straits on April 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I thought the purple tie did him justice. He wouldn’t wear a hat because he still has hair.

piglet on April 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

So that’s who were wearing the very odd hats! My 4 year old and I were watching the highlights and she said, “What are they wearing on their heads?”

piglet on April 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

piglet on April 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

The wisdom of children.

Buy Danish on April 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Who’s that balding guy standing next to Kate Middleton?

MaiDee on April 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM

piglet on April 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Yep, that’s who it was. Not great choices. But then what do I know.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I didn’t watch the wedding on tv, but I just saw the dress on Yahoo.

It looks very similar to my wedding dress. My mother in law (a seamstress) made mine. She’ll be thrilled about this.

Vera on April 29, 2011 at 10:42 AM

OH yeah it’s probably on TV.

I looked at some of it on the internet because I was thinking it was in the middle of the night…

Tape delay. What a concept!

Amazing dress. I hope the beauty of Grace Kelley type fashion become the style for a long time after this.

Beauty in clothes has been missed.

petunia on April 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I know it’s not just the hats! I’m sure they feel left out of all the fuss and wanted to grab some attention.

Don’t we all have a few relitives that we cringe when we think of the impression they will make on the new in-laws?

Funny thing, the in-laws have family too!

petunia on April 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Up at 5:00 am EST. Loved every minute of it. The monarchy is a major and continuously re-generating point of identity for the British in particular but also for English speaking peoples everywhere. God Save the Queen!

Fly On The Wall on April 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

petunia on April 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

According to the punditry class, the princesses like to babble on the edgy side of fashion.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Watched with my English friend and ate cucumber and egg/watercress sandwiches and finished with tea and Eton Mess. It was a beautiful wedding and now we’ll wait probably another 30yrs for the next one. I understand the annoyance to the US media’s craze, but it was great.

Renwaa on April 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

We fought a war and thousands died to not have to hail to kings and queens. I refuse to participate it in by watching the nonsense. As Seinfeld said, these are NOT special people.

tx2654 on April 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I only saw the pictures of the dress. My daughter likes the show Say Yes to the Dress. So many of them are so slinky and revealing and the brides talk about wanting it to be ‘sexy’. A wedding dress? Come on… Save it for the wedding night lingerie. Kate Middleton looked gorgeous, modest, classy, and just like a princess. I hope it catches on.

pannw on April 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Born and raised in England and remember watching Princess Margaret’s wedding on TV when I was 7 years old. This was a great ceremony. God bless them.

Call me crazy but I thought I saw a Horse without a rider in front of the procession!..:)

Dire Straits on April 29, 2011 at 7:19 AM

The riders of the horses drawing a carriage are called postillions. They only ride on the left side horses since historically horses were only trained to be mounted from the left side. The postillion controls both the horse he is riding and the right hand horse. Two-horse coach – one postillion; Four-horse coach – two postillions, etc.

Trafalgar on April 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM

piglet on April 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I think the reason Kate looks more composed than Diana is because she has been dating and living with William for ten years now. She’s been doing the “walkabouts” for quite awhile, too; they’ve practically been “married” for awhile now. Diana, on the day of her wedding, OTOH, had only been dating Charles about a year (?), it was a whirlwind romance and she was much newer to everything.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

pannw on April 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM

My sentiments exactly. and I watch that show with my daughter too.

Elisa on April 29, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

It was a beautiful ceremony and the pomp and circumstance were a wonderful celebration of British history. Westminster Abbey is a fabulous place, so much history! How many get to sign a church register that contains signatures for over 1000 years?

Plus it’s just the girl princess factor. My sisters and I got up early to watch Diana’s wedding, she was only a year older than I was, now my daughter and I did the same thing, and she’s the same age I was back then. My sister was texting us :) Kate’s dress was elegant, as was her sister’s. The kids were very cute and the men handsome in their uniforms. Uniforms they’ve earned, not just ceremonial.

It was nice to see so many millions forgetting their troubles for a day to celebrate such a happy occasion, isn’t that what weddings should be?

The British hat thing sure is interesting, isn’t it? I’m sure Beatrice and Eugenie are nice girls, but my daughter and I were calling them the ugly stepsisters, like from Cinderella. They could use some of Kate’s fashion sense.

Common Sense on April 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM