Change: Obama’s polling hits new low on economy, whether country is headed in right direction

posted at 8:23 pm on April 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

Malaise.

Registered voters nationally are not satisfied with how President Barack Obama is handling the nation’s economy. According to this McClatchy-Marist Poll, four in ten voters — 40% — approve of how the president is dealing with the country’s economy while nearly six in ten — 57% — disapprove. Only 3% are unsure. Mr. Obama’s approval rating on the economy is the lowest of his presidency. His previous low was last September when just 41% gave him a thumbs-up on the issue…

There has been a change among Democrats and independents on this question. While 71% of Democrats approve of how the president is handling the economy, 27% disapprove. This is a 12 percentage point increase in the proportion of Democrats who disapprove since January. Among independent voters, 34% approve while more than six in ten — 63% — disapprove. Here, too, there has been a jump in the proportion of voters who are dissatisfied with how Mr. Obama is dealing with the economy. In January, half — 50% — shared this view.

His approval came back to near even in January at 44/48 but that was at a moment when 54 percent thought the worst was behind us economically. A few months of tepid growth and soaring gas prices later and 57 percent now think the worst is yet to come. Conventional wisdom has it that he’s a favorite to win if the economy’s improving come election day, but every period of false-start optimism like we’re seeing here weakens that logic. At some point, the blather about “recovery summer” and “recovery winter” will take on such a boy-who-cried-wolf overtone that he’ll need a loooong stretch of significant improvement before the election to convince voters it’s for real and we’re back on track.

Speaking of which:

Twenty-one percent (21%) of Likely U.S. Voters say the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey taken the week ending Sunday, April 24. It’s the fourth week in a row that the measurement has gone down, with confidence in the nation’s course now reaching the lowest point of the Obama presidency…

Leading up to Obama’s inauguration, the number of voters who felt the country was heading in the right direction remained below 20%. The week of his inauguration, voter confidence rose to 27% and climbed into the low to mid-30s until mid-May of that year. Since then, belief that the country is heading in the right direction has been trending lower.

Re-read that last part. His high-water mark among likely voters who think the country’s on the right track is around 35 percent and he hasn’t been there in fully two years, even during the recent ephemeral spurt of optimism. His numbers are also at an all-time low in Pennsylvania, where 52 percent now say he doesn’t deserve reelection. Honestly, after blowing almost $800 billion on the stimulus and ramming through the persistently unpopular boondoggle we knows as ObamaCare, he should consider it a bona fide achievement that his numbers aren’t worse. What else could he do to alienate voters that he hasn’t done? Pass amnesty, maybe? Send ground troops into Libya?

For your viewing pleasure, click the image below and check watch the reaction at Sean Duffy’s townhall when the left’s favorite Keynesian is mentioned. I guess we know who’s winning that rap battle.

Comments

Epic vid.

Hey, who posted the one of Deepak Chopra yesterday in the headlines? That one was the vid of the year.

John the Libertarian on April 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Recovery summer 2 is upon us.

Chuck Schick on April 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

If only we had someone on our side who will get in his face.

SouthernGent on April 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

“… — 57% — disapprove.”

It’s not like during the campaign trail he didn’t warn us that he was going to bring a fundamental change to the country and energy prices would sky rocket…

… You can add another 7% to that figure.

Seven Percent Solution on April 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM

At first, I was alarmed by the Rasmussen poll, because it indicates how fargled up this country is becoming, but then I realized that it’s just another favorable indicator for the GOP, if they don’t screw it up.

cynccook on April 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Send ground troops into Libya?

How about some troops on the border?

Knucklehead on April 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

If only we had someone on our side who will get in his face.

SouthernGent on April 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Rep. Allen West: Defense in a Time of Economic Danger

Seven Percent Solution on April 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM

But, but the “birther” issue was supposed to help Obama!! /RINO candyasses everywhere.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

If only we had someone on our side who will get in his face.

SouthernGent on April 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Amen to that brother.

50sGuy on April 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Seven Percent Solution on April 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM

My, my, my. I do declare. I love him more each time I see him. Slightly off-topic, but I wish he’d cut his hair a bit shorter. No one wears a box cut that high anymore, well, except him.

SouthernGent on April 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Who want’s to bet that Dean-O is going to primary Obama, lose, but give Obama a run for his money.

Lance Murdock on April 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I love how those old white guys in that townhall meeting are knowledgeable enough about politics and economics to know that Paul Krugman is a JOKE.

mydh12 on April 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Now that’s funny. Love the folks of Hodagland.

CTSherman on April 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

You had to love how the useful idiot had to say ” a nobel winning economist” as if after the whole Obama Nobel debacle didn’t prove that the award is just a bunch of group thinkers patting each other on the backs. Krugman-now that is funny. Did Krugs ever decide if large deficits were good or bad?

We a all know according to Krugs a (R) deficit is bad but a (D) deficit is all good.

CWforFreedom on April 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

He can wear a Mr. T mohawk for all I care as long as he keeps speaking the Truth…

Battlecruiser-operational on April 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

SouthernGent on April 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Heavens to Betsy, I do too, though I still lust after Boehner, who has better hair.

Fortunata on April 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM

He can wear a Mr. T mohawk
Battlecruiser-operational on April 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Racist

CWforFreedom on April 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Aslans Girl on April 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Hey, yeah!

For going on three years, certain folks here at Hot Air have made it a point to tell us all, that “birtherism” would be the salvation of 0bama. In fact I have a recollection that some were quite unkind to me, and others, for doubting the word of a infamous liar, for just that reason.

Perhaps, apologies are in order?

Maybe?

Rebar on April 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I bet the guy who named Paul Krugman was shocked at the hoots of laughter that greeted the name of his economic guru. Libs live in such a bubble.

PackerBronco on April 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Racist

Heh. Wouldn’t that be Hairist?

Battlecruiser-operational on April 28, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Racist

I stand corrected! I guess I should have said he could wear a “The Donald” patented Ultra-Combover for all I care!

Heh.

Battlecruiser-operational on April 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Where’s the video link for this?

gumble on April 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Next up: Regulating Post-It note sales.
“A 1099 will be required for all future Post-It Note Sales..”
Heh.

YTZGal on April 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

If only we had someone on our side who will get in his face.

SouthernGent on April 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

There is really no one. Palin is CBS (conservative but stupid). Trump is a liberal in conservative clothing. F–kabee has to live down 4 murders he is responsible for. Romney has the charisma of stale toast but is Mr Personality himself when compared to the stolid Newt Gingrich-who keeps contradicting himself.. “Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re our only hope.”

MaiDee on April 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM

But, but the “Birther” issue was supposed to help Obama!! /RINO candyasses everywhere.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

It would of, but it is hard to call 62% of adults that have doubt racists which was the plan. They called tea party racists, they called Birther racists, what will be the next name that is code for racists.

tjexcite on April 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Meh, don’t worry — the birth certificate will turn this around for Obama, I’m sure. Weren’t we told that harping about the composition of the PDF version of the “certificate of live birth” for another 24 hours would pretty much cause the independents to flock to Obama’s side?

Aitch748 on April 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

MaiDee on April 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I know! Let’s give up. Let’s forget about 2012. Obama will go away of his own accord after 2016, right?

Aitch748 on April 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

tjexcite on April 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

According to Bob Woodward, the next label is “McCarthy”. Heh.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM

“…While 71% of Democrats approve of how the president is handling the economy, 27% disapprove. This is a 12 percentage point increase in the proportion of Democrats who disapprove since January.”

(Explitive Deleted)!!!! Astonishing numbers. The Dems are bigger ignoramuses than I imagined? Hard to believe, but I accept the data. Thanks, AP. Now I am going for a double scotch. No wonder things are as bad as they are.

JimP on April 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

MaiDee on April 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM

MaiDee-isn’t that Taiwanese for “Moby”?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

RACISTS!!!

GarandFan on April 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Gas prices alone have to be doing damage… The working poor are being drained of their freedom to choose by $4 a gal gas, and Barry is on Oprah trying to use his birth certificate to gain poll points… What a Piece O Crap. I think it’s time to start running the anti-reelect Obama ads… Skyrocket, and gradual increases would be a good start.
BTW… Have those old-timers in the video just made ‘he’s a punch line’ the new ‘he’s a tool’? Krugman must be so proud.

RalphyBoy on April 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

These are the moochers, who hope that the looters do even better by them in the next round.

On the subject of the thread, he can’t be distracted by the birther nonsense, yesterday, then heads to Oprah’s, when the country is literally blown away, with so many dead.

But, eh, the media consider him the adult in any dwelling/gathering.

May they suffocate from what they dwell in. They are Obama arscrawlers, nothing more. Trump is mocking them, like no other. That’s the essence of Trump – to point out the media’s shortcomings on giving the incompetent president a break and cover, no matter what.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

A day old ham sandwich would kick Barry’s butt by the time November 2012 rolls around. The public perception is set, facts be damned, and will only get worse with the every utterance he makes from here on out irritating public even more and reinforcing their resolve to throw him out of office.

I’m projecting a 49 state loss, bordering on a shutout.

Dusty on April 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Hilarious.

I always tell people who quote Krugman to me, I wouldn’t trust Krugman if he told me the sky was blue. I’d have to stick my head out a window in order to believe it. He’s one of the intellectually dishonest, and hopelessly intellectually compromised, members of the punditry out there.

Vyce on April 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

There is really no one. Palin is CBS (conservative but stupid).

Sorry, don’t buy the premise. She for the most part has been taking it to Obama since McCain chose her. This whole “Stupid” meme is in and of itself stupid. Not to mention tired.

Is she a valid Conservative voice? Then get on the wagon and don’t help the Lett to malign her by spreading such things. I’d take her so called “stupid” judgement over pretty much everyone else in DC thanks, most specifically the Harverd grad in the White House now.

Sharr on April 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM

And something along the lines of “Drill, baby, drill is looking pretty sensible isn’t folks?” and will resonate when or if Palin frames it that way. Along with “He told us his plan called for energy prices to skyrocket.”

Those are the kinds of smarts we need.

Sharr on April 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

FORTY. PERCENT. APPROVE.

Forty.

Forty.

40.

Gas is FOUR DOLLARS A GALLON.

Jeebus.

fossten on April 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

He has fallen under the magical 42% approval rating… now we may finally know the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything.

Just a few polls ago Obama was even starting to lose support in the black community. Yeah, 85% is very high, but he had lots 11% to get to that point. Once that support erodes past 60% the man is out of the running for re-election.

ajacksonian on April 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I didn’t realize until this time how many racists there really are in this country.

/s

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Is everybody in that vid related? I mean, they all look so similar, same kind of clothing style, same “hairstyle” (OK, head shape!), same body type. Are these pod people?

ExpressoBold on April 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

mydh12 on April 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Krugman? I got news for you: Alfred Nobel is rolling over in his grave.

Several times.

Lanceman on April 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM

And the worry of the GOP Losership crowd is — “uh is Trump a Republican?”….

drfredc on April 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

ajacksonian on April 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Never happen.

Lanceman on April 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

First thing the GOP needs to get over. The false meme that Obama is unbeatable – cause, he’s wracked up so many victories and all/sarc.

No really, just get past that and think like winners, or at least provide for yourselves the possibility of victory.

Obama is a failure. Your job is to remind everyone of that wherever you can.

Sharr on April 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Malaise.

Best laugh I’ve had all day!

jaime on April 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Just like they consider 5% unemployment to actually be full employment… for Barry 30% approval will actually mean 100% disapproval. Will we be there before 2012? Stay tuned… and watch your wallet.

RalphyBoy on April 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Obamisery Index.

I’ll bet Gallup is struggling as hard as McCLatchy to keep their beloved Zero’s numbers inflated.

viking01 on April 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I’m projecting a 49 state loss, bordering on a shutout.

Dusty on April 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Really? Serious question. Your projections for Nov 2010 were pretty on the money IIRC, so that’s why I’m asking. I’d be interested to hear your take.

Missy on April 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I’m projecting a 49 state loss, bordering on a shutout.

Dusty on April 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I’d have to disagree. Considering that there are “blue” states that Heinrich Himmler could carry if he had a (D) after his name, and considering the fecklessness and cannibalism of the GOP, Obama’s going to be hard to beat.

pseudoforce on April 29, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Like this paradox: Many of the groups that Obama needs to turn out most enthusiastically in 2012—particularly young people, African-Americans, and Latinos—are still suffering the most as the economy crawls back from the Great Recession. That dynamic looms like a crack in the foundation for Obama’s reelection, which relies on those groups surging to the polls in 2012 after their participation sagged even more than usual in the 2010 midterms.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Twenty-one percent (21%) of Likely U.S. Voters say the country is heading in the right direction.

Since when did we have a 21% black voter ratio?

leftnomore on April 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Scary that this President is the President. Scarier is that enough idiots voted for this Communist POS. The Progressives finally did what Wilson said they should do with schools in this country. To produce an electorate that would be mindless sheep and do the bidding of their representative tyrants, and only intelligent enough to turn a screw on an assembly line and because they vote (D) are geniuses all the same. America is on life support…..

adamsmith on April 29, 2011 at 5:10 AM

I’m projecting a 49 state loss, bordering on a shutout.

Dusty

Never happen. No way he loses California and New York, not to mention Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Michigan.

xblade on April 29, 2011 at 5:44 AM

ExpressoBold on April 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Haven’t spent much time in Northern Wisconsin, have you?

CTSherman on April 29, 2011 at 9:28 AM

mydh12 on April 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Herein lies the truth of the liberal arrogance. People who eat arugula and wear hand-made suits believe that people who wear flannel shirts and waffle-stomper boots are stupid.

And then try to convince them “because you’re stupid, you need to vote for me”.

BobMbx on April 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM