Video: Shep Smith happy to finally leave Birther “crazyland”

posted at 8:13 pm on April 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

We’re not really leaving, though, and he knows it. The more evidence there is of Obama’s Hawaiian birth, the more evidence there is to be questioned, right? NRO’s already found enough attacks on the long-form birth certificate published this morning to warrant a whole new round of debunking. Judging from our own inbox, the most popular one has to do with the PDF of the document consisting of multiple “layers”; Nathan Goulding, National Review’s tech guy, shot that one down, but if Trump decides to double down tomorrow by questioning the authenticity of the new document, my guess is that’s the line of skepticism he’ll take. Good news for CNN, I guess: Just when they thought their birth-certificate series had been overtaken by the news, this’ll give them a whole new vein to tap.

Exit question: Any guesses as to which network spent the most time covering Birther claims lately? Hint: Not Fox News.

Comments

I dont question where Obama was born I question why he hates the place he was born into.

William Amos on April 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Come on Trump won’t do that. Will he?

I’m counting on this story fading away, it’s 15 minutes, or what should have been 15 minutes had Obama just written that letter more than two years ago, are used up.

The public will get bored with this now.

I’m not in the mood to see Shep gloat. I’m tired of him too.

petunia on April 27, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Does anyone watch shep? Do you care what he says? shep is on the not watch list at Fox along with the spitter and huck.
L

letget on April 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM

This is obviously the guy Maddow was talking about in her Guardian piece.

BKeyser on April 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM

William Amos on April 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Here is a good start.

Kataklysmic on April 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM

The people of the state of Mississippi sho’ ’nuff were appreciative of Shep….because he left.

kingsjester on April 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Do shep fight this hard against the racist smears against republicans.

the_nile on April 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM

The birth certificate, though interesting, was never what most birthers were about. I don’t know anyone one who ever believed he was born in Kenya, but I know lots of people who think he has hidden something substantive about his past. Let’s talk about that social security number, the college transcripts, that trip to Pakistan, the ghost-written memoir, his experience at Columbia, etc.

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM

And he’s quick to tell you that he does straight news with no opinion.

NoNails on April 27, 2011 at 8:27 PM

OT…..Can we have some prayers for the folks in Tuscaloosa and all the others who’ve been hit by these deadly tornadoes the past couple of days?

EMA reports people trapped in Tuscaloosa following 2 tornadoes

That is all, back to your regularly scheduled talkfest.

Knucklehead on April 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Do shep fight this hard against the racist smears against republicans.

the_nile on April 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM

The only time most establishment Republicans really fight is when they are defending Democrats.

sharrukin on April 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Show me the bear bouncing on the trampoline and STFU Shemp.

darwin-t on April 27, 2011 at 8:29 PM

What drives me crazy about Shep is that he mumbles sarcastic comments while others are talking, usually from another location. He does it to almost everyone he has on. Very annoying. He needs to be fired.

WoosterOh on April 27, 2011 at 8:30 PM

So Shemp blames Obama for needlessly dragging this issue out for 3 years?

profitsbeard on April 27, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Puh-leeze Shep.

Someone ought to gift him Jack Cashill’s book “Deconstructing Obama”.

Poor Jack Cashill. He did such great work and is lost in the ether.

I know Trump is getting all the glory.

Gob on April 27, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Also, his selective service registration card is forged, too.

Gob on April 27, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM

You can talk about the other issues all day, but the only thing they hear is Birth certificate, but I do believe this brings the matter to a close. I’d like to see some other documents, but he isn’t going to disclose them and we’ll have no power to compel a disclosure.

Hell, look how difficult it was to get the long form BC just ensure he was born here. Give it 20 or 30 years after he’s out of office, and we’re on the other side of what’s coming, and then I’m sure there will be some kind of tell all book.

DFCtomm on April 27, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I’m still going with Devine Intervention,

Immaculate ConCeption!(snark)

canopfor on April 27, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Knucklehead on April 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Goodness YES. And if you are so inclined, here in TX millions of acres and homes are burned by wildfires. Prayers also asked. Thank you. I forget, the floods happening from rain, snow melting, dams breaking also. Goodness, our nation is under attack from bho and things we can’t control.
L

letget on April 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Shep is a D-BAG

400lb Gorilla on April 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Seriously I think the only reason that obama didnt want to release his Birth Certificate was because he wanted to believe this was the second Immaculate conception.

Was there a star over Honolulu in 1961 ?

William Amos on April 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Allah, you’re a doc expert of sorts. I frankly trust your opinion on such matters as much, if not more, than anyone else on the net. Have you studied the birth certificate by chance? If so, are you satisfied it is legitimate? Just curious.

Blacksheep on April 27, 2011 at 8:39 PM

If Trump really wanted to break b’s, he’d thank Hillary for her early concern about Obama’s BC. He could call her The Mother of Birtherism’ with a straight face, then sit back and watch hilarity ensue.

joejm65 on April 27, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Nuff said gorilla

Who takes him seriously anymore

cmsinaz on April 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Nathan Goulding, National Review’s tech guy, shot that one down,

Not really…looks like that at least half of the National Review’s own registered commenters think it’s fishy, and a couple who say they weren’t “birthers” before are now suspicious.

I don’t get the smugness of the anti-birthers. Tell me we can afford four more years of this man in the White House. To me, anything that can help get him out of there is worth pursuing.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Get out the popcorn…

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Okay… I posted this in the most recent post… but I’ll copy it here because I’m truly interested in your answers:

The release of this document doesn’t really answer a question I’ve had for awhile now.

And that is…was he officially adopted by Lolo Soetero? If so, didn’t that change his nationality as well as his name legally?

When he returned to the States, did he legally change his name back? Was he required to swear allegiance or whatever, if he became a citizen of Indonesia when adopted?

I’ve wondered about these things but have been scared to ask for fear of being called names…but since any question asker will be labeled a racist anyway, might as well go for broke.

Any takers on any of the above? Do I have any of my premises wrong?

powerpro on April 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Shep’s a douche. That said, yeah…this won’t end. If all of Hot Air got into a time machine, went back to that hospital in 1961 and saw Obama being born with their own eyes, they’d say it was as staged as the moon landing.

MadisonConservative on April 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM

He should have Trump on for a round civilized discussion- and Geraldo too, then add O’reilly!

Epic my friends, it would be epic.

abobo on April 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM

MadisonConservative on April 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Ever hear of the Van Allen belts?

abobo on April 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Hmmm Keemo

Pass some this way

cmsinaz on April 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I have no doubt that Obama was born and raised in Hawaii. His worldview is completely consistent with the anti-colonialist/’America stole our island’ views held by liberals on that island.

Slublog on April 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Get out the popcorn…

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Oh boy, please pass the salt too. Can I get anyone a beer?

Knucklehead on April 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Obama is caught in this crap big time thanks to the Donald. That pdf file was doctored big time and now he will have to explain how and why that happened. A copy of the BC doesn’t allow for lines to be altered, but yet you can alter every line on the pdf the WH put out.. Oh boy, they stepped in it and will continue to do so as the cover up continues. Wow…

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Get out the popcorn…

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Thanks for that link. Very interesting. I had accepted the NRO explanation on the layering, but I’m at the mercy of others on this question. However, Karl is tech genius. And where Obama is concerned, it seems wise to be a bit skeptical. I will have to go through the comments on his site. His commenters are among the brightest on the net.

flyfisher on April 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Shep can’t help it. He went to Ole Miss.

SlaveDog on April 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I wish Shep would detour out of Fox Land…

I only catch the last 10 seconds of his show prior to BOR and The Factor… I really can’t any more than that… He lost me at Katrina, but when Tennessee was UNDER WATER and POTUS Obama didn’t even fly over it, Shep was deadly silent on his “criticism”…

Khun Joe on April 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Actually…weren’t the original birthers the Democrats who insisted that John McCain produce a valid BC in 2007 to prove that HE was eligible to be POTUS?

joejm65 on April 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I don’t necessarily disagree w/ Shep.

But it’s odd that a news reader and reporter would opine like this. he should stick to his job and leave the opinion to the other shows.

MikeknaJ on April 27, 2011 at 9:02 PM

The real conspiracy theory here, is how Shep keeps his job. Whorealdo too.

Rebar on April 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM

joejm65 on April 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yes, and then the Clinton camp got the ball rolling big time when they had the forehead come on CNN and question Obama’s citizenship.

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I’ll take a cold one knucklehead

cmsinaz on April 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I think people have missed the most obvious fake in the certificate…..

For his father`s race, it list him as “African”.

The use of the term “African” for race, didnt begin till decades later. The formal term in the 1960s was Negro or Negroid.

There is an easy way to check….find other birth certificates from Hawaii in the early 60s and see what term is used for race. I`ll bet you wont find any (real ones) that use the word African.

gozzak on April 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM

The #6 most powerful gay in America, according to OUT Magazine. And #3 (Anderson Cooper) and #6 office out of their closets!

Marcus on April 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Indeed rebar

cmsinaz on April 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Get out the popcorn…

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Keemo:Very nice,you’ve been promoted to Intell Operations
Officer ————————–:)

canopfor on April 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Well, there you have it. Shep, AllahPundit, Whoopie, Juan Williams, Bill O’Reilly et al think the whole thing’s silly, so shut up already and let’s get back to the serious, rational business of getting conditioned to accept the dismemberment of our country and disintegration of our economy already.

Sheesh.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Shep’s just lonesome, he once was be part of a threesome . . . Curly, Moe and Shep.

rplat on April 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM

“Side-Shows” and “Carnival Barkers”!

Must make a note,to add,these two new phrases
along side of Clingers and Bitters!

canopfor on April 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Heh :)

Canopfor

cmsinaz on April 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

canopfor on April 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM

LOL

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I heard Shep yesterday having a hissy fit about the subject. He’s getting hissier and hissier every day, it seems like.

Tennman on April 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Yes, all Liberals are melting before our eyes… The Donald and the Sarah are simply tooooooooo much for them.

Keemo on April 27, 2011 at 9:28 PM

That “faked” link is junk. When looking at scammed docs [or the originals] you will see inconsistencies. If it’s a different font, then you have something. There’s nothing there. You’re broken hearts will heal in time to see 0bama defeated in 2012.

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM

L

letget on April 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I live in Texas as well.
Your snark @ Knuck was uncalled for.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Haha “scammed”. FAIL. But you people know know what I meant. I even used to spend days looking through the old microfiche.

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM

gozzak on April 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM
For the love of Gawd, let it go.
Some of you are making the Bush-haters of 2000-2008 seem sane by comparison.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Shep, go run someone down with your car again and shut up. What a hoser, eh?

Mason on April 27, 2011 at 9:49 PM

gozzak on April 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM
For the love of Gawd, let it go.
Some of you are making the Bush-haters of 2000-2008 seem sane by comparison.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM

But they won’t. Conspiratorial nuts never do.

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Yet it’s FOX who’s blamed for the racist birther meme. Go figure.

mizflame98 on April 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM

For the love of Gawd, let it go.
Some of you are making the Bush-haters of 2000-2008 seem sane by comparison.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM

This, this, and this again.

MadisonConservative on April 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I could only watch a minute of the Shep video before flipping it (and him) off, taking care to guard my blood pressure. Not because I’m a birther; I’ve long been on record as believing Obama is a Hawaii native, but I don’t blame anybody for thinking that someone who would spend up to $2,000,000.00 to avoid proving his own honesty might actually be dishonest.

No, it made me angry to see a news anchor — supposedly a reporter, a journalist — acting like a partisan commentator, and an ill-tempered one at that. I cannot think of a tirade like this coming from the most partisan MSM talking heads, not even Cronkite or Rather. If I was a news director, watching my top news anchor hock loogie after loogie at his viewers would make me furious.

At the very least, Smith ought to be disciplined or suspended. Should he be fired? I would have fired Shep long ago because he reads the prompter like he’s had a couple of pops to calm his nerves. Roger Ailes is willing to live with that, so it’s unlikely that’s in the cards.

L.N. Smithee on April 27, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You GOT To Be Kidding #3

Who was that doctor again?

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM

CrazyGene on April 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I believe Obama held on to his birth certificate for so long because he saw the birther controversy as something he could use to his advantage during his reelection campaign, by releasing it just before the election and painting the birthers and the Republicans as one and the same. Trump, to his credit, has forced the revelation early, when most voters will have forgotten the whole thing by November 2012.

IMO, birthers (who never had a real case anyway) will only make themselves ridiculous by continuing this non-controversy.

Let’s see Obama’s college transcripts instead. Or, better yet, let’s have a widespread MSM-reported analysis of Obama’s background and record, something they’ve never done in depth.

RebeccaH on April 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM

You GOT To Be Kidding #3

Who was that doctor again?

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM

More junk.

Go to the Snopes link that site posts. We’re talking about the 2009 recollection of an unnamed teacher from an unnamed prep school? Please.

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I didn’t post the link because I believe it to be true. It’s just another data point to consider. However, I have seen Dr. Rodney West mentioned elsewhere as the doctor.

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I can’t stand this silly drama queen.

pat on April 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Stayright on April 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM

You may have seen West as the MD because of the same 2009 recollection from some unnamed person.

—————–

The birthers, having been made fools of, will now grasp at any straw that dangles. It’s a sinking ship. Stay back.

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM

toliver on April 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, well, that seems to fit nicely into the undocumented life of Barack Hussein Obama, so what’s the problem?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 27, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Ok…………there’s a new right-wing channel called Sun News Network in Canada………I’m fed-up with Fox News……… and it’s costing me $16/month for that channel alone……fair and balanced huh????

jordy2009 on April 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM

It`s a crazy, Mad mad mad mad mad world, Shep. And you are right there in a sideshow of your very own. Calling the kettle black, eh, Shepster?

Sherman1864 on April 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Haven’t watched the Shep vid and I’m not a birther but, if you want to watch a great news show in Shep’s time slot, watch Larry Kudlow on CNBC. Much smarter, much more informative, much more interesting. Shep just plain sucks.

Django on April 28, 2011 at 3:53 AM

Shep Smith happy to finally leave Birther “crazyland”

Good, Shep. Now, how about you leave Foxville and head on over to CNNopolis where you belong.

TugboatPhil on April 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Hey Shep. I hear U.K.L. Lee thinks your kind of hawt.

Just sayin’

MNHawk on April 28, 2011 at 7:11 AM

The two times of the day that my television refuses to broadcast the Fox News Channel coincide with the two excruciating hours that Shep Smith mans the news desk. And believe you me I am one devoted Fox News viewer.

On a side note, my state was hit pretty hard yesterday by tornadoes. Still in shock. I finally heard from my brother this morning. He and his family are okay. My daughter and grandsons are also okay. A lot of other people are not okay. I thought somebody out there should know.

jakev on April 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Has anyone ever seen Maddow and Sheppie in the same place at the same time?

PappyD61 on April 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM

These are the times I wish Shep would just switch stations to jump onboard MSNBC and just get it over with.

pilamaye on April 28, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I’ll be satisfied when the headline reads:”Shep retires to Oxford.”

Mr. Grump on April 28, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I think people have missed the most obvious fake in the certificate…..

For his father`s race, it list him as “African”.

gozzak on April 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM

This was my thought on the BC also. Solution to check was the same. I also thought that since Hawaii has always been so multinational it could be the way they worded it.

IowaWoman on April 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The two times of the day that my television refuses to broadcast the Fox News Channel coincide with the two excruciating hours that Shep Smith mans the news desk. And believe you me I am one devoted Fox News viewer…

jakev on April 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM

When Shemp takes his days off, John Scott usually does his show. Scott should have that job full-time, that’s the only time 7pm is watchable.

slickwillie2001 on April 28, 2011 at 9:13 AM

If the American public ever figures out that Lou Dobbs is on at the same time as Shep on the Fox News Channel, Shep’s relevance will cease to exist. Dobbs makes Shep look like the arrogant little brat that he is.

volsense on April 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Has Shep ever apologized for his bad reporting that people were being raped and killed in the New Orleans Superdome ?

J_Crater on April 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I do not see myself as a birther I believe he was born in the USA and his mother was a natural born citizen. Do I believe there are BHO documents that have damaging information. BHO has spent millions making sure no one sees any important documents, forms, etc. One of his EO on his first day in office was to legally seal his records. I would love BHO to prove me wrong and do as he promised, “this will be the most transparent Presidential administration in history”. Why is it a silly sideshow if I want to see all the records that have been withheld? This should have been asked and answered in 2008. I place the blame on the MSM, if they would have done their job I would not need to be asking now. Since it is still not answered (releasing all pertinent records), I still have to ask. That makes me silly?
Can we walk and chew gum at the same time? I have all these unanswered questions and Obama has failed on so many fronts. Maybe one has to do with the other. His past choices may explain to Americans his present choices. I don’t know why me wanting to see Obama’s records means I am oblivious to the damage he is doing to America and Americans.

IowaWoman on April 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Forgot to say: Shep has always had the ICK factor for me. Those freaky frog eyes icked me before I heard a word he said. Once I began to try and get past the looks and listen he icked me out more! I avoid his show 99% of the time.

IowaWoman on April 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM

IowaWoman on April 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM

His eyes are sort of closer to his ears than to each other, aren’t they? I guess the buckets of mascara to highlight them doesn’t help either.

slickwillie2001 on April 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’m surprised Shep hasn’t moved on to CCN or MSNBC like a couple of other newscasters that were on FOX. Those stations fit is political worldview much better.

As to the “birther” title, I believe as another poster has stated, that its not been about whether he was born in Hawaii or Kenya. It was the effort, both financial and labor hours by attorney’s and the MSM, expended to block out all vestiges of Obama’s past.

The claim during the 2008 election was that Sarah Palin, who was running as a Vice Presidential candidate, did not have the required experience, yet our so-called journalists had no problem with Obama’s total lack of experience even though he was running for the top job of President.

Not only did he not bring any known experience to the table, he hid his past so well that we had very little information about his life except what he wanted to be made known. Unlike other candidates who have run over the years, Obama was not vetted to any degree whatsoever and when someone got close, his campaign went so far as to try to get the Justice Department to squelch their efforts (we should have known what would be if he won).

Where did his wealth come from before his US Senate run? As an associate professor? I don’t think so. Authoring two books when he was relatively unknown and were not blockbuster novels? I don’t think so. Community organizer? Maybe, if he’s an extortionist in the mold of Jesse Jackson. Inheritance from a long, lost uncle? Not that anyone has heard. No, it seems he probably got his wealth and advancement from “sponsors” who may or may not have been less than honest. More likely the latter.

iamsaved on April 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Does anyone HONESTLY care about what the LIBERAL Shep Smith has to say anymore? Honestly folks?

dave_ross on April 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM