Trump: I totally won on the birth certificate issue

posted at 10:03 am on April 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Who gets hurt worse by the White House release of Barack Obama’s long-form birth certificate?  If you think that it might be the man who practically made it his campaign platform, think again.  Donald Trump says he totally had Adonis DNA on the issue, or something:

Donald Trump, who helped drive questions over President Obama’s birth certificate, said the release Wednesday was a victory for him because he made the president act.

“I am really honored, frankly, to have played such a big role in hopefully, hopefully, getting rid of this issue,” he said, though he said more investigation has to be done. “Now we have to look at it, see is it real, is it proper.”

Really?  Trump had claimed to have investigators probing Obama’s birth, and had declared the birth certificate “missing” as late as yesterday:

Anderson Cooper: You’ve said repeatedly that you have investigators in Hawaii looking into the president’s birth certificate that you’re looking into it very very strongly, that’s a quote. In another interview, you said that your investigators quote can’t believe what they’re finding. We’ve had a team in Hawaii, talking to everyone in the state health dept to the school where Obama’s mother went, other families who were in the hospital at the same time as when he was born, none of them say they’ve been contacted by anyone working for you.

Donald Trump: Well maybe they’re not saying and maybe they’re not contacting the same people Anderson. There’s a lot of people in Hawaii. And frankly it’s hard to believe he just doesn’t issue his birth certificate. It would be so easy to do if in fact he has one. And a birth certificate is not a certificate of live birth, which is a much much lower standard as you know.

“They can’t believe what they’re finding”? Whatever credibility Trump had just dissipated this morning. He won in the same sense that Charlie Sheen is #winning! by getting canned and then embarrassing himself on a national tour.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

How did Trump lose here? He got Obama and the WH to do what he set out to accomplish two months ago.

RepubChica on April 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Obama won. Another day without $4.50 per gallon gas dominating a news cycle is a godsend for Team O. Besides, if the topic turns to economic matters Trump makes even Obama look mainstream.

pseudoforce on April 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Anyone who is a burr under O-Bomb-a’s saddle is a winner in my book. Whatever it takes to derail this punk @ss b!tch and keep him off his America wrecking campaign is good ju ju for me.

Alden Pyle on April 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You forgot Palin wins. She came out of this better, each time she was put on the spot with a Trump question she handled it beautifully, and managed to turn her answer into questioning Obama on more important things …

Brian1972 on April 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Yep, and as a commenter in another thread pointed out, Trump is moving the Overton window in Palin’s favor. Very important accomplishment.

petefrt on April 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

DRUDGE can be priceless:

OBAMA: ‘I’ve got better stuff to do’…

Heads to Chicago to tape Oprah show…

petefrt on April 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Gee, is it obvious to everybody else that Ed is desperate to discredit Trump?

fossten on April 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Hey Ed your bias is showing AGAIN. Surprise us all & give it a rest just once.

What part of detonating the “trap” two years early & preventing it from hurting candidates in the final stretch is losing?

Or is it forcing the one to do what no one else could for three years that’s losing?

Why don’t you redeem yourself with a balanced inquiry into what the release implicates NATURAL BORN CITIZEN? We all know how you will come down on it but that actually wouldn’t matter if you dealt with what has always been the bigger issue in the ” birther” controversy.

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM

In Obama’s own words, he just got played by a “carnival barker”.

Plus, this takes the birther mess off the table well in advance of the 2012 campaign.

WIN-WIN for us.

tsj017 on April 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Trump the winner on this.
Do not really care for Trump, but glad he is out there beating the drum against Obama holding him accountable.
(No one else is.)
And it is good that these things are coming up now early in the 2012 election cycle.
Once the “fun” (and “they are being racial”) stuff is out of the way people can start hammering Obama (from the left & right) on what a failure he has been.
Suggested theme:
“Obama took the bad from Bush and made it worse”.

albill on April 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I don’t think Trump has much chance of actually winning the nomination, but he could do a LOT of damage to Obama before the primaries even begin.

More power to him.

tsj017 on April 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Gee, is it obvious to everybody else that Ed is desperate to discredit Trump?

fossten on April 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM

It should be obvious that when it comes to conservatism, Trump discredits himself.

You look at his past donations and statements, some as recently as December 2010, and then listen to him talk politics.

“I am a very conservative person. I really am.”

That ain’t gonna cut it, man.

He is a phony, and he is playing a lot of people for fools right now. One of them may or may not be Obama, but there are many who are falling for his crap who should know better.

Trump shouldn’t get a pass on his record anymore than Obama should.

Brian1972 on April 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

More power to him.

tsj017 on April 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Didn’t think McCain did either, were it not for those open primaries and (allegedly) the democrat version of Op Chaos. I think the bc debacle benefits O as a diversion from other issues. That said, Trump the candidate is a liability to the conservative cause. If he manages to siphon enough primary votes, he might not walk away with the nomination, but he could hamstring a much more deserving, truly conservative candidate.

Bee on April 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM

pseudoforce on April 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I don’t know. You must have missed the part where he said Obama could have an effect on the US price at the pump by making a few calls…but instead chooses to hit the basketball court. Major ouch. While Trump’s angle is the foreign OPEC scheme, an expert on FOX news, Eric Bolling, concurred that the president could influence the price at the pump like Bush did in 08 by lifting the drilling moratorium. It still hits home that on this issue, the Obama WH takes the “let them eat cake” route, or to go for the pass (pun intended) at true leadership with mainstream American interests in mind. Demonizing the giant oil companies who pay more in taxes than profit just about, is the community organizer route and does nothing but perhaps raise the specter of even more price inflation at the pump.

RepubChica on April 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM

“I am a very conservative person. I really am.”

That ain’t gonna cut it, man.

Trump shouldn’t get a pass on his record anymore than Obama should.

Brian1972 on April 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

If your premise were true, Ed wouldn’t need to sound so desperate.

fossten on April 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM

“…Trump the candidate is a liability to the conservative cause. If he manages to siphon enough primary votes, he might not walk away with the nomination, but he could hamstring a much more deserving, truly conservative candidate.
Bee on April 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM”

Respectfully,… but what conservative is going to vote for Trump in the primaries? None is my guess. Trump only ‘hurts’ the conservative cause (as many like to put it) and could split the votes among RINOs and inside the beltway type elites. $4.00/ga gas, high inflation and 20 million unemployed will sway the moderates to vote GOP in ’12 even IF they are equating Trump with conservatism (which I doubt). As far as Trump running as a third party candidate and siphoning votes from the GOP, two things: 1)in 1980 John Anderson- a moderate/liberal Repub- ran as a third party candidate and had zero effect on the outcome, because things were that bad economically; and 2) Since Trump would be a moderate/liberal Repub, we better not nominate Huckabee, Mitt, or other moderate. Better go with a Reagan conservative for a real choice to ensure a GOP victory. So who are the actual most consertive candidates? Y’all fill in the blanks for me. I’m not trying to get anything started…. unless of course you think Mitt or Huck are Reagan conservatives.

JimP on April 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I was channel surfing last night, and happened to catch part of this “interview” on the C0mmie News Network. Anderson was hammering away at Trump. I was floored to see someone from the Lamestream Media actually do some tough reporting. Of course, had the interviewee been from the Left, it would have been time for Anderson’s kid gloves.

And if Bill 0′Reilly had hammered 0bamao like that during his recent interview… interrupted him that many times, loudly badgered him… 0′Reilly would have been condemned by the Left as evil incarnate.

I’m not a Birther, but come on, they’ve had 3 years to work on this Photoshop! Color me unimpressed by this release. If I were in his shoes, I’d hold the piece of paper in the air in front of the press, and let them make photocopies right on the spot.

But let’s drop the useless Birther argument now. It’s past its freshness date.

FlatlanderByTheLake on April 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Trump-1

Obama/Trump haters-0

RedRobin145 on April 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM

JimP on April 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Again, how did McCain get the nomination?

I think you have much, much more faith in your fellow “conservatives” than I do. Have you read the comments here? Please don’t think I’m saying this condescendingly–I’m not. It actually pains me to think people would lack such discernment (in terms of candidates). But many do (as evidenced by the Huck and Mitt fans here, and those swayed by anyone “taking it to” Obama), under the mantle of conservatism. I just don’t think we can ever be too cautious.

Bee on April 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Why in the world are so many of “US” doing the lefts work and discrediting our own. You never see the left debunk or discredit ANY of their candidates. Why do waste an iota of time giving ammunition to the enemy.

Is Trump MY candidate? Of course not but I value what he offers and see no reason to shut him down. For the love of God lets stop with the circular firing squad while the left laughs their way past us.

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Trump wins. Obama wins. People who wanted transparency win. On to the Fed.

alwaysfiredup on April 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM

This is pretty much how I score it, as well. The fact that the BC is off the table as a kook-issue only benefits the right moving forward, and it pretty much removes a bullet from Obama’s arsenal. And he was forced to do it by an “unserious” candidate at least a year before it would have maximized it’s effect. I’m not sure how this hurts conservatives in any way.

holygoat on April 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Explain how a leftist per his own record is one of “our own?”

And while you’re at it, when did the left’s actions become our behavioral measuring stick? If the left jumped off a cliff, would you? /mommylecture :)

Bee on April 27, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I’m neither a “political pundit” nor a “birther”, but if any single American citizen can put the President on the defensive, it does make the President look weak, and certainly not the “winner”. Trump also put the mainstream media on the defensive for not having vetted this earlier.

If Trump’s goal was to put Obama on the defensive, he succeeded. Keep in mind – though Trump has been grilled by Pravda wannabees – he certainly doesn’t have thin skin. And he reveals their partisanship in their defense of the issue.

Once again, be it Palin, Limbaugh, or Trump – though none of them may run for President – forces Obama to address an issue that he clearly didn’t want to address.

Now is the time for the political opposition to start ramping up the criticism that is only now starting to make it into the mainstream media – about the economy & foreign policy.

How silly will Obama or the media in the debates if it was they, rather than the Republican opponent, wanted to bring up the, “Well, he/she questioned my country of origin…” defense in response to criticisms regarding entitlements, debt, poor economic performance, corruption, and pathetic foreign policy?

Obama let loose his “bomb” a year too early… and it sounded no better than whistling with crackers in his mouth.

Danny on April 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

That circular firing squad is in two camps: the first are sincere Conservatives whose ideology I greatly respect and who I give legitimate credence in their disavowal to many of Trump’s issues in his past. Fair game. They win.

The second camp, and the one that truly irks me is the “I don’t wanna feel embarrassed and made a fool of by the establishment”. That’s cowardice and playing by the same ol’ rules in the confines of Liberal Media Bullying. One that’s in full, powerful swing right now. People seem to be preoccupied more with their image in trying to be one of the Kewl Kids, than grasping the simple concept that too many of us need a hard hitter to take it to the establishment.

Did you hear the defeaning silence when Trump declared today in his press conf to the media that they are “protective of Obama”. No one rumbled in disagreement nor challenged that statement. Instead they hollered repeatedly for his “tax returns”. Different standards for two different people and the world bore witness. And they wonder why the hell we are enjoying the hell out of Trump playing ball with these clowns.

Our candidate this year has to be a steadfast warrior against the Liberal Media Establishment. Yes, I’m not a fan of the LME, in case it hasn’t been noticed.;-) Our candidate will not just be running against Obama in 2012. They will also be running against the most powerful, influential shills in national politics.

RepubChica on April 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Obama played the birther issue until he thought it was time to put an end to it. Trump looks like a nut case. Sure, Obama could have ended the whole thing sooner, but why should he? After all, he was not the one making claims and charges of fraud etc.

There are so many reasons not to support Obama, why waste time on this nonsense?

Terrye on April 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM

RepubChica on April 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM

In a lot of ways, the media has been protective of Trump as well. He is a celebrity and they love celebrities.

Terrye on April 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

“I just don’t think we can ever be too cautious.
Bee on April 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM”

Fair enough, Bee. I do read the comments, lol, and thank you for qualifying your question. It is appreaciated. Also that is a valid concern I think. As for McCain I think he had much more of a reputation as a conservative than Trump does, but you may be right. Maybe it is faith, or maybe just an instinct based on history. I’ll have to mull that over. Similar to you, I am frequently surprised by comments made here by “conservatives”, a few I think are trolls masquerading, the rest I guess are evidence of that proverbial big tent the RINOs are always wishing for which actually means they want genuine, Reagan conservatives to leave so they and the Dems can run it all. If I ever come up with anything more than an intuitive explanation for my optimism, I will be sure and let you know.

Best wishes.

JimP on April 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Terrye on April 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I don’t see it Terrye. At all. As soon as he announced his potential candidacy as a GOP contender and came out with force on the birther issue, it was Game Over for him with these guys. You really have to get away (not you literally)from establishment sites to get any kind of positive feedback on Trump. They are in over-the-top mode right now in their relentless negative reporting on Trump. I’ve always been a sucker for the underdog. Go figure. Trump the Underdog, who would’ve thought it two months ago? Demonstrates the power these “gatekeepers” wield.

RepubChica on April 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Trump is a bold faced liar.

lexhamfox on April 27, 2011 at 2:37 PM

The Donald is not a perfect example of our own as he is obviously not a conservative. However this is a pattern with US. We are harsher to people challenging the left than the left is and we are quicker to do it. why? I don’t like Romney, I won’t vote for him but I will never run him down for his many flaws if/when he starts scoring points against Obama.

It is at it’s very essence practicality. why shut up anyone who could, even if inadvertently, help US / hurt them.

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Bee with all due respect you are being silly. My point is not let’s act like leftist’s. My point is make them debunk any who challenge them. Why do their work for them and free up their time to make more mischief/get ahead..

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM

We do our own work. We police our own. We are the ones who determine what is or is not conservative, not them. We recognize when socialists in Italian suits are passing themselves off as conservative by switching positions and latching onto a now-defunct issue. Good lord, stop being so lazy. You have to weed your own garden to get what you want, not expect your neighbor to do it.

MadisonConservative on April 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Obama to release secret arugula salad recipe at 7.

Trump said it didn’t exist.

profitsbeard on April 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Madison, this is why we Lose. We foolishly believe that WE have to take down a non conservative who is helping us, for not being a…….conservative. That is dumb. Let them put out fires that take hold. We shouldnt be helping them by trying to pre empt a message because its coming from the wrong messenger.

Who cares whether or not Donald is conservative if he is doing the right thing or getting a good result. It is beyond stupid to be trying to derail Trump for being a dem/socialist progressive this far out of an election. Stand back and let him do the heavy lifting that all the true conservatives refuse to. He will never be the conservative candidate but he can and has already done more for conservative cause than almost all the others combined. With the exception of Palin.

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Take a victory lap Donald… You earned it.

RalphyBoy on April 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

And he’s right. And Ed’s wrong again.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

fossten on April 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM

HA also worked hard to discredit Fred Thompson (remember hat-gate that HA hammered to death?) It won’t work on Trump though. Just makes HA look hyperbolic and desperate.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

What good is having a website if you don’t use it to advance your candidate?

slickwillie2001 on April 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Funny thing though, is it would be better to use it to further conservative ideals, not just one’s preferred candidate. Oh well, not my blog.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Trump did what no one else was able to do, force Obama to release his long form birth certificate. Well done. Now we can move on to serious issues.

eaglewingz08 on April 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM

America1st on April 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

This.

And, all your other comments.

Seems like good common sense and good strategery.

mockmook on April 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM