“Atlas Shrugged” producer on slow start: I don’t know if we’ll make parts two and three now

posted at 4:12 pm on April 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

A follow-up to yesterday’s news that not only is “Atlas” shrugging, it’s damn near collapse. If it keeps going at this rate, we might not get to see John Galt’s climactic seven-hour speech in part three.

The market is never wrong. Or is it?

“Critics, you won,” said John Aglialoro, the businessman who spent 18 years and more than $20 million of his own money to make, distribute and market “Atlas Shrugged: Part 1,” which covers the first third of Rand’s dystopian novel. “I’m having deep second thoughts on why I should do Part 2.”…

Aglialoro attributed the box office drop-off to “Atlas Shrugged’s” poor reviews. Only one major critic — Kyle Smith of the New York Post — gave “Atlas” a mixed-to-positive review, calling the film “more compelling than the average mass-produced studio item.” The movie has a dismal 7% fresh rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes thanks to critics like the Chicago Tribune’s Michael Phillips, who said “Atlas” is “crushingly ordinary in every way.” Roger Ebert called the film “the most anticlimactic non-event since Geraldo Rivera broke into Al Capone’s vault,” while Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers said the movie “sits there flapping on screen like a bludgeoned seal.”…

Though the film has made only $3.1 million so far, Aglialoro said he believes he’ll recoup his investment after TV, DVD and other ancillary rights are sold. But he is backing off an earlier strategy to expand “Atlas” to 1,000 screens and reconsidering his plans to start production on a second film this fall.

“Why should I put up all of that money if the critics are coming in like lemmings?” Aglialoro said. “I’ll make my money back and I’ll make a profit, but do I wanna go and do two? Maybe I just wanna see my grandkids and go on strike.”

The NYT didn’t bother to review it, which Aglialoro calls “the most hateful review of all.” Obviously the critical backlash is suppressing the box office, but if there’s any movie that should be — somewhat — critic-proof, it’s this one. There are plenty of Randians who, one would think, are willing to pony up in tribute to the great lady, and plenty more conservatives who’d be willing to go if only to spite left-leaning film critics by making it a sleeper hit. Where are they?

The obvious Plan B here would be to reach out to prominent libertarians, starting with the Paul family, natch, and do whatever the producers are legally able to do to get them to help promote it. Rand Paul’s already regaling Senate committee hearings with paeans to his favorite Rand books; maybe it’s as simple as sending him a copy of the film (assuming he hasn’t seen it yet) and asking him to put out the word among the Paul army if he likes it. Say what you will about them, but devoted libertarians aren’t stingy when it comes to donating to causes they believe in. Or, if the Pauls are unavailable, the producers could wait a few months and then try to hire Gary Johnson to promote it. He should have plenty of free time by then.

Exit question: Has there ever been a film as polemical as AS that’s done big business at the box office? I’m sure there has, but offhand I can’t think of one.

Comments

crr6 will orgasm all over HA, erroneously misinterpreting all about Ayn Rand.

So long as the producer doesn’t ask for a government bail out all s/b just fine.

Schadenfreude on April 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Well, I heard the acting was stiff and horrible…from a libertarian. Sometimes there’s not some grand conspiracy as to why a movie doesn’t do well. Sometimes it’s just a bad movie – even if it has conservative/libertarian themes.

I won’t go see a bad movie that shares my values, but I will see a good movie that may not.

It's Vintage, Duh on April 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

This is why I am reticent to go see this thing. Why watch part one of a movie that will never see parts 2 and 3?

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

None come to mind for me either. It’s not just that they don’t do big box office. It’s that they hardly ever get made in the first place.

Doughboy on April 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Where are they?

Gone gulching!

Schadenfreude on April 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Fahrenheit 9/11

Domestic Total Gross: $119,194,771

Vincenzo on April 27, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Actors are second rate but the timing is impeccable. Better to have part one out now, than not at all.

The book is the second highest seller, only after the bible. This drives the left bonkers.

Schadenfreude on April 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM

The Passion of the Christ?

Kataklysmic on April 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

300

Domestic Total Gross: $210,614,939

Vincenzo on April 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

People go to the movies to be entertained. The more you concentrate on a ‘message’ the fewer people you have willing to part with some cash for it.

The heavily political anti-Iraq movies that bombed suffered from the same problem.

sharrukin on April 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

The closest theater that played the limited release was in a state next door. I wasn’t going to travel that far. I didn’t even know it finally released to other theaters until now. And I’ve only seen one commercial for it, which was lastnight.

roopster217 on April 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I saw it and liked it, not just for its message but because it was just plain good.

hachiban on April 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I consider myself a libertarian, but I couldn’t care less about Ayn Rand. amidoinit rong?

Ars Moriendi on April 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Planet of the Apes

Total US Gross $33,395,426

Vincenzo on April 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Clearly, they erred by not including a blimp in their marketing campaign.

Slublog on April 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Birth of a Nation

Worldwide Gross 10,000,000 (1932 dollars)

Vincenzo on April 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I have not seen it but want to.
The movie will make money on DVD, they need to hold tight.

ORconservative on April 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Look, I went to see it, and was pretty disappointed. It just wasn’t a very entertaining movie. And I was the only one under 50 in the whole theater.

I think word of mouth helped to keep box-office receipts down. I told my friends and family that is was disappointing, and I guess they didn’t go see it.

It was, just, boring. Having read the book multiple times, I wasn’t expecting what was on screen.

They took Eddie Willers, Eddie Willers!, and turned him into a one-dimensional character who was only on-screen to show hostility to James Taggart.

Sigh.

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Conservatives don’t see the need to REALLY push conservative arts. Its sad. But their continued dismissal of media only delays the inevitable.

The guy from JoeDanMedia is about to quit too. Our loss.

“We will not go down w/o a fight” video from JoeDanMedia

Conservative sites, including our wonderful hosts, are spoon-fed and put up nonsense from the lib media like Lindey Lohan, Charlie Sheen, etc…, when they could easily push their brothers & sisters.

Later comrades…

deedtrader on April 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Ars Moriendi on April 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM

sharrukin on April 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Bingo! While our country crashes and burns, I don’t feel like paying $10 bucks to go a watch the country crash and burn in a movie theater.

I go to the movies to be entertained, not depressed.

“Water for Elephants” anyone? The book was fabulous.

Knucklehead on April 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Birth of a Nation

Worldwide Gross 10,000,000 (1932 dollars)

Vincenzo on April 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

That might be the best example I can think of. And that movie’s nearly a century old. It’s so old in fact that white actors with dark makeup had to be hired to portray blacks. I don’t count pseudo-documentaries like Fahrenheit 9/11.

Doughboy on April 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Well, it only was put in 300 theaters, expanded to another, what, 150 or something - nationally.

Hell, we’ve got over 100 theaters in and around San Antonio. One of them carried AS (an out of the way place I never knew was there and I’ve lived here for over eight years.

Not surprising it didn’t rake in huge loads of cash if its only in a few hundred theaters nation wide.

But that’s me.

catmman on April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“Where are they?”

Better question…

… Where’s the movie?

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

We saw it and liked it. I don’t think I would worry about the next two parts until after the DVD is released. Many people are just not that crazy about going to the movies.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I’d rather watch a well-made movie that promotes communism than a terrible crafted movie about Liberty.

V-rod on April 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Better question…

… Where’s the movie?

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

+10

Can’t see a movie if you don’t know where to go or if it’s finally out yet.

roopster217 on April 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Schadenfreude on April 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM

LOL you don’t actually believe that, do you? Atlas Shrugged isn’t even in the top

CoffeeMan on April 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I’ll go to the movies if there’s something worth seeing. And I don’t just mean a quality film, but one that’s also worth the hassle of driving, parking, dealing with potentially rude and inconsiderate moviegoers, and paying between 9 and 13 bucks for a ticket. How many movies fit that bill these days?

Doughboy on April 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

sorry bout that… anyway, Atlas Shrugged isn’t even in the top 100 for best selling books of all time.

CoffeeMan on April 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Aquateen Hungerforce

Too bad about that. Eddie Willers represents … us. The guy who shows up to work every day, performs his work with no complaint or excuse, and is left standing on the side of the dead train of Capitalism.

PoliTech on April 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM

The Green Berets was released on July 4,1968 at the height of the Vietnam War. It cost 7 million to make and grossed 21.7 million domestically. Adjusted to 2011 dollars that’s 45 million to make and a gross of 139 million.Incidentally it was rated G.

Tommy_G on April 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I go to the movies to be entertained, not depressed.

Knucklehead on April 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Exactly. Even if the movie has a message I don’t like (which is a lot of Hollywood films these days), I can ignore it if the movie is better than average, or they don’t try to bash you over the head with it.

sharrukin on April 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM

1) It isn’t showing around here so I don’t have an option
2) Has anyone considered that maybe the people most likely to enjoy and be interested in this movie are the people most likely to rent movies and watch at home rather than deal with the modern movie theater experience?

deepdiver on April 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM

CoffeeMan, left out “influential”.

As all things in polls, it c/b partial.

Schadenfreude on April 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Regarding Atlas Shrugged and the Bible…

Atlas Shrugged FAQ

No one knows exactly how influential Atlas Shrugged is, because there has never been a proper study done to check. The “second most influential” claim comes from a Survey of Lifetime Reading Habits conducted in 1991 by the Book-of-the-Month Club and the Library of Congress. Printed surveys were sent to members of the Club, asking them what books had most influenced their own lives. A little over 2,000 responses were received. The Bible ranked first, and Atlas Shrugged ranked a distant second. Because the survey targeted an audience of book lovers (members of the Club) and an active effort was required to mail in a response, it is likely that the results were skewed towards people who were influenced especially strongly by a particular book. Such a result cannot be reliably interpreted as reflecting the entire US population, although enthusiastic promoters of the novel sometimes make such claims. (The survey is also often inaccurately described as a “poll” or “study,” and various incorrect sources are cited for it.)

aunursa on April 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM

CoffeeMan, left out “influential”.

As all things in polls, it c/b partial.

Schadenfreude on April 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM

That’s a poll that asks what books made a difference in people’s lives and has nothing to do with sales. You claimed Atlas Shrugged was the second best selling book of all time, which is not the case at all… not even close.

CoffeeMan on April 27, 2011 at 4:45 PM

We are waiting for it to reach a theater closer to us than 500 miles away. It’s showing in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, but not in El Paso. Sorry, but we can barely afford gas these days, much less an airplane ticket to go see Atlas Shrugged.

If it comes, we’ll be there to see it.

Susanboo on April 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Go big or go home. People unfamiliar with the novel or Rand philosophy don’t get it or haven’t heard of it. Even if they have, the low-budget label doesn’t help. No marketing even fewer theater’s. So no surprise here.

Not playing in any theaters within reasonable distance. I’ll wait for DVD

brennan251 on April 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

My wife and I saw this movie last night, besides the acting, we both thought is was excellent. It was a masterful adapted script, the timing for every zinger towards Statist/Marxist/Corporatist leaning Americans was perfect, and they succeeded in making the !st part exciting. We left talking for hours about the movie and agreed we could not wait until parts 2 and 3. We have told everybody we know that it is worth paying the money to see so parts two and three will be made along with the fact that besides the stiff acting it is well worth the 10 bucks to see.

First at age 32 each we were by far the youngest people at the movie. Second one has to be really be well read and keep up with current events to fully enjoy the movie, both of which we are. I would highly suggest seeing this movie at the theater to every HA commenter and reader.

Watching_Cloward-Piven on April 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Well, I liked it. I liked the way it looked, the casting, the music, the art direction, the message. It had flaws, but it is definitely worth seeing.

cheeflo on April 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

CoffeeMan on April 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

One list of best selling, or most influential, or whatever you want to put it books – across all categories and “numbers of copies,” does not exist. Plus which, the book is already a “best seller” according to (who’d'a thunk it?) the New York Times:

Ryan Anthony on April 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Gallup:

In U.S., More Than 6 in 10 Would Not Vote for Trump, Palin

CUDA!

rickyricardo on April 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Birth of a Nation, maybe? Many folks think Gone with the Wind was also overtly political.

How about The China Syndrome?

hawksruleva on April 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I saw this movie with my wife on Saturday night. I liked it. Some people say it was boring, but it isnt an action flick, so /shrug.

Was it the world’s best film? No. But it wasnt horrible either.

Also, I have not read the book, so I do not have any preconceived notions on how it should have gone…

psv on April 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Also:

A 1991 book review written by Roy A. Childs mentions that over 5 million copies have been sold to date.

Ryan Anthony on April 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

How about The China Syndrome?

hawksruleva on April 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

The China Syndrome was just a thriller that happened to be released right before Three Mile Island happened. It was the beneficiary of good timing(for the studio at least).

Doughboy on April 27, 2011 at 4:57 PM

If it comes, we’ll be there to see it.

Susanboo on April 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

The economic conditions that make AS so compelling today also make it harder to see the movie. He should try producing it under HBO’s banner. Or maybe going direct to DVD.

I also am itching to see the movie, but it’s not playing within 200 miles of me.

hawksruleva on April 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The obvious Plan B here would be to reach out to prominent libertarians

And conservative capitalists too.

In fact, the pols ought to be reaching out to Aglialoro. It could be one helluva marketing tool for the right political candidate(s). In fact, I’d say we’re fools if we let this opportunity go to waste.

petefrt on April 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I suspect that the people who are most likely to want to see this movie probably have kids and aren’t really able to get out to the movies as easily as singles do. And with the advent of home theater systems, they’re less motivated to go out, too. I’d go see it myself but if my wife manage to get a night out I’m afraid I won’t be spending it on a political statement. That’s just the way of things.

Caiwyn on April 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM

If my wife and I manage to get out. Ugh. Can’t type today.

Caiwyn on April 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I loved it, and really want to see parts 2 and 3. I was going to see it again next week, but then Aglialoro started whining and blaming everyone else, which is a real turnoff.

They didn’t bother to advertise it after its big opening weekend. I don’t know what they expected.

Rae on April 27, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I loved the book, but I can’t imagine it being an enjoyable movie. Sure, I’ll see it when it streams on Netflix, but I’m not expecting much.

MJBrutus on April 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I saw an early interview with the producer and he seemed earnest and capable, if a bit naive about his wish that the movie wasn’t “political” or shouldn’t be seen that way. But this reaction to critics is entirely sad. He shouldn’t be making movies.

There are many options available to guerrilla market a film with such a strong name brand and generally positive audience response. It doesn’t appear he’s tried any. He seems to have shied away from rather than embrace the controversial and political potentials of the film. “It’s not about the Left and Right”? Really? Whatever else it may be about, it is certainly about Left and Right.

In any case, a producer doesn’t throw up white flags. He fights for his film.

rrpjr on April 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I’m not surprised at the ‘bad’ reviews because the reviewers cited by most people are nothing but a bunch of sniveling, liberal bed-wetters who are, for the most part, very simple-minded. It may not be their fault entirely, though. Look at the garbage they have to watch week in and week out. They probably were just unable to watch and think at the same time.

Sporty1946 on April 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I liked it…it wasn’t subtle, the dialog was stilted in parts…the plot was maybe overdrawn.

But, it is a good movie from the pov of telling a story…a story that is way too familiar. With the bullying of Boeing and the “green energy” nudging of the US, it feels a little too relevant

r keller on April 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Waiting for the DVD. My couch, my popcorn, my time. Plus, I might come out of the theater all fired-up about the demise of America and start a fight with a Lib or something. It’s just safer for me to watch it at home. Yesterday I spoke loudly in a restaurant about the very sound of President Liar’s voice being difficult to listen to…and the busboy, a waitress, and 2 patrons agreed with me! They put an American flag in my burger:) Another personal hurdle is keeping my mouth shut in airports when I get near the CNN. Each day, it’s getting more difficult to shut-up. Thanks for letting me vent.

redwhiteblue on April 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Books are always better than the movies…

albill on April 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Pardon my disorientation (I’m a Christian), but wasn’t Passion of the Christ considered radically polemical?

Jaibones on April 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I saw AS twice just to throw them some business – I enjoyed it but I’m a Rand dork. If you go to the morning showing in Tulsa, it’s $4.

elcapt on April 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Avatar.

The Ugly American on April 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Read the book. Saw the movie. It was good/very good. You guys who listen to the critics pan this movie (big surprise) and have all sorts of reasons not to see it, remind me of the voters who let the MSM choose our last presidential candidate. If the critics say “bad”, I say “good”. See the movie for yourself and then you decide.

ncjetsfan on April 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It was a good movie that my family was looking forward seeing more of. How disappointing that parts 2 and 3 may not get made.

Why would anyone listen to the critics? I make my own decisions on which movies are good and which are not. The holier-than-thou movie critics usually like garbage, full of sex and immorality while the movies they don’t like I usually find good.

Is the American public so brainwashing with sophomoric potty humor movies and comic book movies that they can’t enjoy an adult drama?

Common Sense on April 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Atlas Shrugged is currently:

#24 on Amazon’s Top 100 Books list
#1 in Political Fiction
#1 in Fiction Classics
#12 in Literary
#87 in Paid Kindle Store
#1 in Kindle Fiction Classics

and that’s with the ebook at a $18.99 price.

However, at 7 million copies sold since 1957, it’s far from the top seller. The books at the top have sold 100 million copies.

Common Sense on April 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM

The producer should have tapped Robert Duvall to play a part. He’s a notorious libertarian and would have lent some star power, which any film badly needs.

John the Libertarian on April 27, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Did anyone seriously think a movie about trains and political philosophy would be popular?

Speedwagon82 on April 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Read the book.

psychocyber on April 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Roger Ebert called the film “the most anticlimactic non-event since Geraldo Rivera broke into Al Capone’s vault…”

Did this idiot miss the “Part 1″ in the title?!? Seriously, how #&@%’ing stupid do you have to be to expect the climax within the first third of a story?

I think part of this movie’s lack of success is the lack of promotion and limited release. If not for Hot Air, I wouldn’t have even been aware of this movie’s existence.

ynot4tony2 on April 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I saw it. It wasn’t bad in that it didn’t deviate from the theme, but it seemed rushed and gave away too much of the mystery of John Galt and Galt’s Gulch too soon.

I do think it’s worth seeing, however, and will be disappointed in not seeing how they handle the rest.

Disturb the Universe on April 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Throw Mamma From the Train, Murder on the Orient Express, Silver Streak, The Taking of Pelham 123, The Great Train Robbery, The Polar Express, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Runaway Train…

Yeah…why would anyone want to make a movie “about trains” when it’s obvious any movie about trains is a bomb, right?

ynot4tony2 on April 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I just watched it. I fully expected it to be an embarrassing yawner as I’ve never been a fan of the book from a literary nor an entertainment perspective (though I admire The Fountainhead from that perspective). Surprise! the film moved me; it drew me in. I mourned with Dagny Taggart far more watching the film than I did reading the book. It entertained and haunted me. For reference, I enjoyed Kick-Ass, The Social Network, The Fighter, Winter’s Bone, The Kids are Alright, The King’s Speech, and Sucker Punch. Hated Inception; nearly hated the Dude’s reprisal of Tron.

Jens on April 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it but they were, of course, preaching to the choir. I keep hoping that somehow it will influence enough Americans to make a difference but the poor reviews are very discouraging.

VBMax on April 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM

>>at 7 million copies sold since 1957

That wouldn’t have happened had the equalization of opportunity “directive” mentioned in the book existed. Books shall be limited to 10,000 copies only so as to give all authors a chance.

raccoonradio on April 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM

THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren’t only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM

10,000 X $2,000 = $20,000,000, which which will be enough to finance Part II, or, better yet, a re-make of Part I, done right. And there are many more than 10,000 libertarians and Objectivists for whom $2,000 is chump change, and who would be willing to put up that money for a movie done right, at 2 1/2 hours, with billboards, TV, and other more creative promotion, and with a better screenplay. Maybe it should be $3,000 a piece, for a total of 30 million, plus Aglialoro can throw in another 5 or 10 million.

Aglialoro is wrong. The critics are irrelevant. The movie works in certain isolated 5 or 10 minute stretches, but the totality does not work, because the plotting, i.e., the choice of what scenes to include & exclude, and the choices involved in integrating & transitioning scenes, was so off it made the movie a “talk-fest” and boring.

BCrago66 on April 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM

ynot4tony2 on April 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM

You know most of those movies are pretty old, right? But if Steve Martin and John Candy were in this one, I would have definitely gone to see it.

Speedwagon82 on April 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM

If he was going to react badly to drubbing from “professional” critics, he never should have produced this film in the first place–the novel was savaged by critics from the very beginning, and one suspects that many critics died over the last three decades regretting their missed chance to savage a movie made from the book.

M. Scott Eiland on April 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM

… Where’s the movie?

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Overall, I thought it was well done. Got me to finally get my copy of the book off the shelf and read it. Halfway through.

But…as 7% points out…you have to actually KNOW about the movie and WANT to see it to be able to. It’s playing on 2 screens in all of Indianapolis. And I’ve seen NO advertising for it. Fortunately, one of the two screens was close to me, or I likely would’ve passed.

Chris of Rights on April 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM

My husband and I went to see it a week after it was released on a Wednesday. There were only 8 of us in the movie theater. I figured it was because it was the middle of the week in a small town so I didn’t expect much with regards to the size of the crowd. Heck, no one was there to even check our ticket so that might be a clue as to the traffic the theater get on weeknights.
It wasn’t a bad film but it isn’t a spectacular one. The problem with the movie I found is they had limited time to cover part 1. A lot of things had to be cut out or rushed though. If you don’t know the story then this movie would be considered a crap movie that makes no sense.
I listened to the AS audio book last year and after seeing the movie I decided to listen to it again. I have to tell you that this movie was definitely preaching to the choir simply because you have to have read it recently in order to know what’s going on (my husband hasn’t read the book in about 30 years and while he knew the message, he didn’t remember who John Galt was and his role in the story.)
I’m not faulting the producer and director for how this movie materialized. This is a complicated story to portray on the silver screen and I don’t think anyone would be able to produce a quality version of AS that would enlighten someone that never heard of Ayn Rand. Maybe if this film was a 2 1/2 hour film instead of 1 1/2 hours it would make more sense. That way whole scenes that was omitted due to time would have stayed. In my opinion that would help the movie make more sense as well as made it a better quality film.

mizflame98 on April 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Books are always better than the movies…

albill on April 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I thought the movie Contact was better than Sagan’s book.

Shay on April 27, 2011 at 8:59 PM

hawksruleva on April 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I bet this group would have been more than happy to tackle Atlas Shrugged.

mizflame98 on April 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I thought the movie Contact was better than Sagan’s book.

Shay on April 27, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I agree. The book was mind numbingly dull. I couldn’t even finish it. It pained me since I loved Carl Sagan so much.

mizflame98 on April 27, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I always thought that given the length and breadth of the novel, it would be better suited to a television series a la “Upstairs Downstairs.” I liked the movie, but still think TV would’ve been a better venue.

Kalifornia Kafir on April 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Good. Read the book.

russcote on April 28, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Watching_Cloward-Piven on April 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I agree. Went Galt today, skipped work for a 2:30PM showing. I suspect the movie gets yanked tomorrow from my theater, since Thursday is their new movie day. Only 4 of us in the showing. Couldn’t find any others that could skip out.

I thought it was great! Rearden Steel was exactly as I imagined, so was Wyatt Oil Fields, especially when on fire.
The analogs to today were truly frightening, and completely believable as a 2016 possibility.

The movie moved smartly through the many plot points, very difficult to pull off. I don’t think anyone would enjoy it if they were not pretty familiar with the book.

Bravo to the Producers and Director. They pulled off a great effort.

Can’t wait to see Part II and III, please.

Jimmy Doolittle on April 28, 2011 at 4:22 AM

I don’t think there’s any rocket science on this. The movie isn’t being shown anywhere near where I live… consequently, I’ll wait for video.

That said, I think they’d have done well to condense the story. There’s no reason why this tale should take THREE movies to tell. For that matter, there was no reason why it should have taken 1000 pages to write. The complaint with Atlas Shrugged, aside from that of socialist ideologues, has always been that the prose was too verbose.

Aglialoro should have the remaining script rewritten, condense the next two installments to one, release Part I to video right before Part II comes to theaters, and not sweat the small stuff. The book is steady backlist and still makes money today. The videos will too, particularly if they’re well-marketed to conservatives.

Murf76 on April 28, 2011 at 6:09 AM

mizflame98 on April 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Sounds like poor screenwriting. If a movie can’t be understood without reading the book first, that’s a BIG problem.

Murf76 on April 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM

I saw it last weekend. There were about five other people in the whole theater. In all honesty, the movie was just ok.

76United on April 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM

“The Ten Commandments”

Budget
$13,500,000 (estimated)

Gross
$80,000,000 (USA)

xblade on April 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I saw the movie, and although it wasn’t as good as Battlefield Earth, it was better than Gigli.

mmnowakjr85 on April 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I live in Ruston Louisiana…. I had to drive to Houston TX to see this movie. The closest movie theatre was New Orleans (it just started showing it the the day after release) which was 5 hours away. I was also going out of a cruise in Galveston, but I did have to drive 6 hours to see this movie… which was very disappointing. My friend went with me, he he hated it, It moves too fast, skips to much, just goes to plot to plot, never really built characters. I wish they didn’t modernize the movie and made it in 1940-1950′s. They left out basically the whole Fransisco Dancornia(sp?) love story, which is basically the catalyst to the whole book… regardless, my friend was lost and did not know what was going on

Donut on April 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

ALso, I have not seen 1 single advertisement for this movie…
Kinda like the 3 days later movie with russel crowe, ya know the one when his wifes goes to jail and he breaks her out….. i wanted to see it, but i never knew it was out until DVD came…. Regardless, this movie did bad for 2 reasons – No advertisements, Not played in enough theatres. The one in Huston TX (well katey texas) was pretty full. every row had 75% full (due to spacing)

Donut on April 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM