Video: CNN investigates Obama’s birth certificate

posted at 6:23 pm on April 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Or rather, since they can’t see the long-form certificate, they dug around for whatever circumstantial evidence they could find that he was born in Hawaii. A taste:

Professor Alice Dewey of the University of Hawaii was a faculty adviser to Dunham and also knew the future president when he was a child. She called the controversy “funny.” She said there is “no way” Obama wasn’t born in the state.

Dewey remembered a conversation in which Dunham compared the birth of Obama with that of his sister, Maya, who actually was born overseas.

“She said, ‘When I had Maya, it was a lot of more difficult because Indonesia doesn’t believe in painkillers while you’re giving birth. … Of course, in the United States, giving birth to Barry (Obama’s childhood nickname) was quite different and much more comfortable,’” Dewey recalled.

A woman who gave birth to her son around the same time as Obama was born, in August 1961, remembers seeing a black infant next to him in the hospital nursery and assumes it was little Barack given how small the state’s black population was at the time. Won’t change any minds — for true believers only the certificate will do, and the truest true believers will dismiss that as a forgery if it’s ever produced — but it might persuade those who hadn’t followed the issue until Trump first started talking about it a few weeks ago and haven’t made up their minds yet.

This is part one of two; the conclusion will air tonight on Anderson Cooper’s show. I’m giving you a second clip here, though, of their interview with Dr. Chiyome Fukino, the former director of the Hawaii Health Department who’s told several different reporters in the past that yes, O’s original birth records do exist, and yes, she’s personally inspected them. She’s under no illusions about how the long-form birth certificate would be greeted if it were somehow released. While you watch, a fun fact to mull about those polls on Birtherism that have liberals wringing their hands: While only 38 percent say Obama was definitely born in the U.S., just 43 percent say Trump was.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Stop, Mudhead, yer killing me…

Del Dolemonte on April 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I bring up Palin’s tall-tale about Trig’s birth to illustrate how the right wing yahoos will beat the Obama birth certificate story to death and ignore the very questionable circumstances surrounding the birth of Trig.

Even if one were to accept Trigs birth as being questionable – it has no logical bearing on power, or even effect Palin possible run for that power. Really, none at all. That you think it does scares me for your mental health.

Obama’s place of birth however DOES given he’s been very coy about producing the documents. These are two different, unrelated things.

Sharr on April 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Apparently you didn’t read her own book, in which she said she didn’t know how to explain to the family that Trig would have Downs. She dealt with it by not telling most people until closer to the due date. I imagine that was pretty tough news to break.

alwaysfiredup on April 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM

No, I have not read her book and yes, her explanation sounds plausible. But hiding the pregnancy is just another data point in the larger story that prompts reasonable people to ask questions.

It’s funny, people who are prepared to believe a birth announcement was planted in a newspaper in 1961 as part of a conspiracy which would come to fruition four decades later, see nothing odd about Sarah’s baffling story.

Why doesn’t she just release the birth certificate and end the speculation? I suspect it’s because she doesn’t want to have to explain that the plane story.

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

So I’ve gathered from this thread Sarah Palin must have given birth to Trig in some other country, and then tried to hide it. That’s the only way I see any equivalence here – but that’s stretching it since it still would not have bearing on her run for office.

But the current occupier of the White House can spend tones of money to lock away all his records and we’re not supposed to talk about it.

Theater of the absurd.

Sharr on April 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

That you think it does scares me for your mental health.

Sharr on April 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Sharr, you need to read for comprehension. I said that the issue does not disqualify Palin from being president.

I’d be interested to have an answer to my question: Do you really think McCain and Clinton didn’t run this issue to ground? Do you really think Trump is going to come up with something his political rivals couldn’t find out?

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

No, I have not read her book…
chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

So, we can stop reading your posts now: you’re not intelectually curious enough to read an interesting book about a topically important person?

Super.

massrighty on April 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Hey, I’ve got work in the morning, so I’m bowing out.

Sharr, I appreciate the largely civil manner in which you handled our discussion.

Sleep tight; bite the bedbugs! ;^D

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM

No I got that. Thats’ why I think talking about it, in the context or Barack Obama’s place of birth is a none starter. Its a total none issue to everyone but Palin haters and Andrew Sullivan and his obsession with Sarah Palin’s reproduction.

Whereas Obama’s place of birth is actually a matter or public relevance.

One has not a jot to do with the other. And I bet a poll would prove almost no one but Andrew Sullivan cares about how Trig was born.

Sharr on April 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Oops, gotta answer this:

Super.

massrighty on April 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I haven’t read:
Obama’s books
McCain’s book
either of the Clinton’s books etc, etc, etc.

No, my intellectual curiosity doesn’t extend to ghost-written, vanity puff pieces, Palin’s the least of all.

Ok, now I’m out.

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM

This CNN joke investigation is like one of those bad comedy of errors movies that could be remedied by asking one simple question 15 minutes into the movie. But instead we get 2 hours of pure garbage.

SirGawain on April 26, 2011 at 10:51 PM

CNN investigation Day 2: Still no long form certificate.

SHOW….THE…CERTIFICATE.

NickTx on April 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM

“Even the teabaggers are starting to wake up and are pushing back.

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM”

The correct phrase is “Tea Party member”. Teabagging is what Obama keeps doing in your mouth. Learn the difference or brush your teeth.

Conservalicious on April 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Yes, those will be factors, but they will be eclipsed by Ryan and the Republican’s plans to gut Medicare and maintain subsidies for oil companies and tax loopholes for corporations and the rich. Even the teabaggers are starting to wake up and are pushing back.

chumpThreads

Uh, news flash genius, Obamacare already guts $500 billion from Medicare to pay for the expansion of Medicaid and other programs. Who hates granny now?

JAM on April 26, 2011 at 11:03 PM

-ALLAHPUNDIT

A simple google search will get them a copy of the Donald’s long form birth certificate, but over 2 years in and we still haven’t seen Obama’s.

DFCtomm on April 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM

As co-author of the 110th Senate Congressional resolution: S.RES.511 – Recognizing that John Sidney McCain, III, is a natural born citizen, Barack Obama himself and the other sponsors, affirmed in this resolution that to be a natural born citizen as stated in Article II, Section 1, requires being born to Americans citizens (plural):

John Sidney McCain , III, was born to American citizens on an American military base in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That John Sidney McCain , III, is a `natural born Citizen’ under Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution of the United States.

Barack Obama himself has said that his father was a British citizen born in Kenya under British rule, so therefore by this Obama himself is confirming that the founding fathers defined natural born citizen as having no allegiance to foreign powers, thus, by having a father as a sworn British subject and thus giving Obama the option until a certain age, to become either a British or US citizen, defines Obama as having foreign allegiance.

If one has the option to give allegiance to either of two (2) countries, then that by definition comes with foreign entanglements – allegiance options that is.

Therefore, only the most obtuse could twist the founding fathers intentions in their definitions of ‘natural born’.

Mcguyver on April 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM

There is no description of what constitutes a Natural Born Citizen in the Constitution but they (birthers) and ONLY they know what the framers REALLY meant because they have a psychic connection with dead people that lived hundreds of years ago.

Magnus on April 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM

But there is plenty of recorded history that documents what lead to the founders using that phrase. Leading one to easily conclude what their intent was

Fed45 on April 27, 2011 at 1:06 AM

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

And yet you believe O’bama is a genius, based on…what, exactly?

Face it, Pat Hat, all we’ve seen so far IS the newspaper announcement.

We know the exact names of the hospitals every other President and Presidential candidate in recent history was born in. Except for one.

Del Dolemonte on April 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Man, that was an epic attempt at thread jacking. Glad I missed it.

CNN is a propaganda arm of the White House.

kingsjester on April 27, 2011 at 8:46 AM

SP is a private citizen and doesn’t owe chumpchange or any other liberal knuckledragger anything. On the other hand, I can’t wait until Corsi’s book comes out in May and we finally get some answers to relevant questions. I would love to see Obama and gang perp walked across the front lawn at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. It would almost be worth the living nightmare of his administration.

DanaSmiles on April 27, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Okay… Just so I understand the fraud CNN is trying to perpetrate here.

If you were born, for example, in Connecticut and your parents moved the family shortly after you were born to a neighboring State (Rhode Island) and you grew up in Rhode Island, CNN is using interviews of people who knew you as a child growing up in Rhode Island as IRREFUTABLE PROOF that you were BORN IN RHODE ISLAND and thus could not haVE been born in Connecticut.

No wonder your average mind-numbed Leftist believes this stuff. Makes perfect sense!

Mahdi on April 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Funny…call ME an “American infant.” Only US Presidents do call me American if I die on the line of battle. Only then I am considered an American.

Otherwise, I am something else. Ptuh!

ProudPalinFan on April 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Birthers have been asking for a major media outlet to do an investigation for a while. Now that they have, you’re complaining that Obama had them do his fighting for him?

tneloms on April 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Well CNN got a hold of a mimeo of the long form…why not Obama’s?

ProudPalinFan on April 27, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Heh. I was in a really bad shape I couldn’t even go to the nursery room, but all the time family and friends told me when they came to the isolated room I had, how my Mr. PPF Jr. was the whitest (blanco, in Spanish) of all the babies in the nursery; you could just single him out right then and there. Blond, blue eyes at the time. I wish I could’ve seen it! LOL!

ProudPalinFan on April 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I believe that trying to prove where Obama was born is a study in futility.

1 Obama is already president. he doesn’t have to prove ANYTHING. Therefore–

2 The burden of proof thus lies with those trying to DISPROVE his US birth.
Thus:
A If Obama has documentation of his US birth it is to his advantage to sequester it, revealing it only if he has to- to make “birthers” look like total fools.
B If Obama was NOT born in US, does one have any doubt at all that the most powerful executive on earth does not have the resources to make sure that any damaging evidence was erased, burned, or otherwise totally demolished without leaving a paper trail?

MaiDee on April 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Hey, chumpThreads, here’s a challenge you’ll back down from: Tell me what horrible mistake as Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin made.

Not her personal or family life, but something she’s done that has made life worse for Alaskans. Tell us how her tenure somehow caused a crippling deficit, or lost thousands and thousands of jobs.

Go ahead, give it a shot. If you answer this challenge, you’ll be the first of many I’ve asked.

L.N. Smithee on April 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Your “challenge” is silly. What’s the point?
What we do know about Palin is that she walked out on the citizens of her state half way through her term of office. Her excuse was pure humbug. I’m still trying to figure out the bit about being a point guard.

chumpThreads on April 26, 2011 at 9:58 PM

:-) :-D >-D

HA! Now how did I know you wouldn’t take me up on it, chump? I told you that you couldn’t answer me, and sure enough, you ran off with your tail between your legs.

Know how I knew? Because you Palin-haters are all the same. All you know about her is what you’re fed by Democrat hacks, Republican establishment dinosaurs, and reporters who want to ruin her life. But it’s all the same kind of schtuff. Sniping and rumors from vanquished political opponents (the majority of it absolutely); false charges of racism & homophobia; baseless, discredited accusations of graft & corruption from out of the imaginations of people without lives.

You attack her with that nonsense because her record is, relatively speaking, unassailable. Those of us who were opposed to Bill Clinton’s personal conduct can admit that in retrospect, he was a better steward of the nation’s economy than George W. Bush. Palin, in her two years heading Alaska, avoided the pitfalls that states like California, Illinois & Michigan suffer today because of decisions made in that same period, and Alaska is one of the nation’s healthiest states fiscally. Obama, in his first executive role in any sense, has run the nation deeper into the ground than Bush left it.

Paranoia, vilification, and slander is your only weapon against Palin. You can’t beat her up with her track record, which is infinitely better than Obama’s.

That’s “the point,” besides the one atop your pin head.

L.N. Smithee on April 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM