New job opening: Anchor, CBS Evening News

posted at 4:23 pm on April 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

We kinda knew this last month, then we were pretty sure that we knew it, and now finally we know it. Life in the media age, where every story’s over before it’s begun.

There’s only one man who can bring enough moxie to the anchor chair to jolt the ratings, so let the chant go up: Bring. Back. Rather.

“I have decided to step down from the CBS Evening News,” Couric tells PEOPLE exclusively. “I’m really proud of the talented team on the CBS Evening News and the award-winning work we’ve been able to do in the past five years in addition to the reporting I’ve done for 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning. In making the decision to move on, I know the Evening News will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future.”

What’s next for the 32-year broadcast veteran? “I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling,” she says, adding that other details, including when and where the show will air, are “still being discussed.”

There were whispers a few weeks ago about her and Lauer possibly reuniting for a chat show — hey, someone’s got to fill that “Regis & Kelly” vacuum — but it may have been a ploy to increase Lauer’s bargaining leverage with NBC. CBS issued a statement this afternoon bidding her adieu which is noteworthy for two reasons. First, it’s … notably terse:

“There’s a lot to be proud of during Katie Couric’s time at the CBS Evening News. CBS News, like Katie herself, is looking forward to the next chapter.”

And second, according to CBS White House correspondent Mark Knoller, there was a slightly different draft circulating in-house for a time:

“There’s a lot to be proud of during Katie Couric’s time at the CBS Evening News. But we feel it is time for a change. CBS News, like Katie herself, is looking forward to the next chapter.”

Interesting that they took out that middle sentence after further thought. Which party’s more excited to be rid of the other?

Via Mediaite, your exit question: Shouldn’t the news division made famous by Edward R. Murrow have considered the modern-day incarnation of the man to replace her? I ask you.

Comments

Yawn….

davek70 on April 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Even before I became aware of Katie Couric’s political biases, she made my skin crawl. As it is now, I can’t look at her face without feeling slightly ill.

cynccook on April 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

& not a single crap was given.

tetriskid on April 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

good riddence to LIBERAL RUBBISH!

SDarchitect on April 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

More “multi-dimensional storytelling?”. Interesting choice of words, Katie.

joejm65 on April 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Bring. Back. Rather.

Fake, but accurate

I could see Olbermann at the helm of the SS CBS Canard.

Kini on April 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I once knew a girl who made the “rounds” at all the different frat parties. She, too, confused “being used” with “popularity”.

Alden Pyle on April 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM

She had me the moment she wore black the morning after the 2004 election.

Purple Fury on April 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Now Katie can get back to that which she loves the most.

Dirty dancing in public.

fossten on April 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Aw. Before she had a chance to live photograph an enema.

John the Libertarian on April 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

If it’s not Ron Burgundy, I ain’t watching….

JadeNYU on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Somebody punk her with an offer from DWTS.

TexasDan on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

When Couric was named as replacement I recall Olbermann on the Dan Patrick radio show saying that he (Olbermann) would have been a much better choice.

The ego of that man has its own zip code.

Although given what Couric produced, he was probably right.

SteveMG on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Damn! There goes Palin/Couric II. C’mon, we all wanted to see that rematch.

Doughboy on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

CBS should hire Sarah Palin as the new anchor. She’s a FOX News contributor, has experience as a local sports TV reporter and anchor, and a degree in journalism.

Emperor Norton on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Katie’s on air Protological examination was a tipping point.

portlandon on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“I’m really proud of the talented team on the CBS Evening News and the award-winning work we’ve been able to do in the past five years…..

“…. but what I’m most proud of is the smear job that I did on Sarah Palin at the request of my Democratic party masters.”

UltimateBob on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Perkiness is indignant.

Schadenfreude on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

It’s fortunate for her, really. Since she’s already driven CBS’s ratings into the basement, she won’t have to fall far to hit rock bottom.

Will a cameo on “One and a Half Men and (TBD)” be far behind?

KingGold on April 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM

could we really be so lucky that they name Olbermann anchor? or maybe that ugly dude Maddow?

search4truth on April 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

CBS should hire Sarah Palin as the new anchor.

They would if they wanted viewers.

maverick muse on April 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

If it’s not Ron Burgundy Jeremy, I ain’t watching….

JadeNYU on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

It would take something like that for me to watch the CBS Evening News, and even then I’d only tune in for a laugh.

UltimateBob on April 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Bring. Back. Rather.

I want Zombie Eric Sevareid.

Mr. D on April 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

More “multi-dimensional storytelling?”. Interesting choice of words, Katie.

joejm65 on April 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

In other words, fairytales about the evil Republican’s and the Tea Party people.

Knucklehead on April 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Come on, AP…your big break is right in front of you, don’t pass it up! Grab the good paper bag and get down to CBS stat! :)

JetBoy on April 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Yes, like the fact we didn’t go bankrupt, we didn’t lose all of our audience, and no one remembers that Dan guy who she replaced. We’re very proud!

cartooner on April 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Yes. Bring back Dan Rather. I’d watch every night. No joke.

Ian on April 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Has she blamed Palin yet?

sammypants on April 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Now she can let the pretense go and proudly let her liberal freak fly…….

Opposite Day on April 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM

The contest to replace her is between Keith, Howard Dean, and screaming pack of baboons. The baboons would be cheaper, retain some level of honesty, and be more entertaining.

michaelo on April 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

“Storytelling.”

That pretty much sums up Couric’s anchor career.

glockomatic on April 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Mangy Scot on April 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Now there is a job for Donald Trump…!

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Emperor Norton on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

So many heads would explode, we would instantaneously solve our so-called overpopulation problem.

fossten on April 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM

cynccook on April 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

You are too nice. My reaction would be to punch her squarely in the face for all the people who have suffered due to their negligence, but this can be said for most “journalists”. I hope one day they are made to account for decimating the profession.

kim roy on April 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM

CBS News, like Katie herself, is looking forward to the next chapter.”

Goodbye and get the hell out of here.

Southernblogger on April 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Just shut ‘er down and stick a fork in.
SeeBs is dead…

OmahaConservative on April 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Emperor Norton on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I disagree. CBS should go with a temp replacement for 2 years and then hire Obama as the permanent anchor. They’ll need someone who’s good at reading a teleprompter.

Doughboy on April 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Anchor hitting bottom , news at 11?

the_nile on April 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I am not a Palinista by any means, but maybe their is some kind of curse on the media types who ran her down. If Chrissy falls in front of a bus I will be convinced.

Southernblogger on April 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Well, I’m sure the Libs will find a cushy job for an aging cheerleader with limited intellectual abilities who sounds like a chipmunk.

If not, she had a good run. Good riddance.

Cody1991 on April 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Will a cameo on “One and a Half Men and (TBD)” be far behind?

The Katie and Charlie hospital episode. He’s getting his protological examination. She’s there for her proctology exam. Never the ‘twain shall meet vs. Never the Twain Shall Meet [1925 Keywords: Americans (Abroad) - Death: Suicide - USA: California: San Francisco.]

maverick muse on April 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Damn! There goes Palin/Couric II. C’mon, we all wanted to see that rematch.

Doughboy on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

No, they’ll bring her back special for that rematch. Was that ever in doubt?

TexasDan on April 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Paying Katie Couric $14 million to anchor the news is like paying a baseball player with a .150 batting average and no power $14 million and having him hit clean up every game.

Diane Sawyer’s ratings prove that a female anchor can be successful. Viewers simply don’t want to get their news from the world’s oldest high school cheerleader.

bw222 on April 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

From perky to flacid, that’s CBS news.

fourdeucer on April 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Couric can try her hand acting “the icebox” without the teleprompter.

Dan works for Pritchard and Pritchard out of San Francisco and is in love with Maisie, referred to as “the icebox” by his news reporter friend. As one of his ships returns to San Francisco, Dan learns that the Captain has contracted Leprosy and asks Dan to be the guardian of his South Sea island daughter Tamea. Dan soon learns that Tamea wants him and will do nothing without a kiss. But Tamea soon learns that she is different than Dan and Maisie and that makes her angry. Dan decides to go and live on the island with Tamea, but soon finds out that Paradise is not everything that he thought it was.

maverick muse on April 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Step 1: Get Glenn Beck off Fox.
Step 2: Replace Katie Couric with Glenn Beck.
Step 3: Profit.

We finally know what the underpants gnomes plan is. No more question marks!!!

Abby Adams on April 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Southernblogger on April 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

In threes, eh?

maverick muse on April 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Doughboy on April 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Bingo!

maverick muse on April 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

The ego of that man has its own zip code.

SteveMG on April 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

An ego as big as Michelle Obama’s butt would be a far more accurate description.

bw222 on April 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

If CBS (any of the alphabet networks or CNN) wanted viewers or profits, they would hire a conservative anchor. So many conservatives can’t stand the girly man at FNC.

bw222 on April 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Southernblogger on April 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I don’t think it’s a curse at all. Her most vicious and partisan attackers in the press effectively alienate a huge chunk of the country when they go after her which guarantees that they’ll never draw that large of a viewing audience(at least not on par with the likes of FoxNews). And when you’re pulling down the kind of paycheck that Couric or Uberdouche were getting, mediocre ratings ain’t gonna fly.

Doughboy on April 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

“Storytelling.”

That pretty much sums up Couric’s anchor career.

glockomatic on April 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

That was the very first thing I reacted to, as well.

paragon27x on April 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Will anyone notice?

molonlabe28 on April 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM

More “multi-dimensional storytelling?”.

Fake but accurate fits this

William Amos on April 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I’m trying but I just don’t care. Kinda like the royal wedding……….

ctmom on April 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Emperor Norton on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

fossten on April 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM

It probably wouldn’t end overpopulation; not enought people watch CBS News for that to occur. But even getting rid of those dullweeds WOULD measurably raise the average IQ of United States.

VastRightWingConspirator on April 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

C’mon, that’s just an ugly comment.

Going after someone’s looks? And the First Lady’s?

Geez, keep it light.

SteveMG on April 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I’ve never in my life been known as “perky”, slightly crazy and prone to violence yes, but never perky. Even so I suppose I’d be willing to take over Couric’s spot if the money was right.

Bishop on April 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Southernblogger on April 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Doughboy on April 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Remember, Tina Fey’s book didn’t sell either.

1 Samuel 2:9 – He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.

fossten on April 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM

A la pundit having a tiff with Ace,

Bring back Rather?

He certainly marked formally the end of any shred of journalistic integrity. But of course “it wouldn’t matter” at this point were he reinstated. Miss me yet? Dan Rather Billboards save/create jobs.

The sorry anchor Howard Beale on the Network news was “the first person assassinated for low ratings”.

maverick muse on April 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Aw, useful idiot, no longer useful, rich, but no longer useful.

Bu-bye, Katie.

Fallon on April 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

There is only one possible replacement for Katie…

… you know it’s true.

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

That should have been marked NSFW. Sheesh.

Fallon on April 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

*Urk!* I’ll get you for that.

Bishop on April 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Ed Morressey!

percysunshine on April 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM

michaelo on April 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM
Yeah but the clean up cost would bankrupt black rock.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

As opposed to the one-dimensional left-wing stories you’ve been making up to tell us.

The Monster on April 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Well, there’s always Oprah, Ted Turner, Comedy Central, MSNBC, NPR, and Xinhua…

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’ve seen cases like K-K-K-Katie’s in business. She was perfectly suited for her first job, the only requirement being ‘perkiness’. Since then she has moved up the ladder incrementally because of bad or lazy management that didn’t want to look outside the corporation. Finally she’s in over her head so far that she doesn’t know she’s underwater.

Years later someone takes over that has their head fully screwed on and says “how the h did he (or she) get that job!?

slickwillie2001 on April 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I see ‘Dancing With the Stars’ in her future.

trigon on April 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Isn’t obvious? The next anchor will be Glenn Beck. The man has literally become Howard Beale! It’s perfect.

MJBrutus on April 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Is ‘Survivor’ planning a Media Whore season? They could dump a bunch of lefty journalists in Elko, Nevada and let them look around for a rating.

trigon on April 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

HELEN THOMAS

Recycle.

65droptop on April 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Katie’s new book….

How to lose a multi million dollar job in less than 10 years, and still show face in public.

capejasmine on April 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Translation: I’ve been fired and I have nowhere to go.

Cicero43 on April 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM

More “multi-dimensional storytelling?”. Interesting choice of words, Katie.

joejm65 on April 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

My first thougts, exactly. I guess she’s grown beyond the standard one-dimensional invetions and two-dimensional fabrications.

JackOfClubs on April 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM

..sayonara, scrunt. Don’t let yer perky titz get caught in the doorway on yer way out.

The War Planner on April 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

So many conservatives can’t stand the girly man at FNC.

bw222 on April 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

..and who would that be?

The War Planner on April 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

..note to Olbermann re his incredibly pompous intro: “Dude, (1) I fear it is broken, (2) you will NOT abide, (3) Current will become past, and (4) don’t let yer perky titz get caught in the doorway on yer way out..

The War Planner on April 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Sorry, Katie, but “perky” doesn’t age well.

Really Right on April 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM

“Katie’s on air Protological examination was a tipping point.”

portlandon on April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

—————————————————–

She didn’t have to do that show.We knew how full of s#!t she was.

docflash on April 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM

At least she admits what she does is make up stuff. Now she can be more flamboyant about it.

This is a victory for Palin. As much as the left loved what Katie did… she sold her soul and there is no way to get trust back after that.

See Palinistas there is some justice in the world!

petunia on April 26, 2011 at 7:28 PM

well, no… she’s obviously overqualified to be an anchor on CBS.

psrch on April 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM