Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the week?

posted at 8:30 am on April 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Since tomorrow is Easter and I’ll be taking the day off from blogging, we’ll make some additional savings in time and do our OOTW poll today!  I know I surprised you with this cut in the schedule, but I don’t consider it a mistake to move it up a day.  You’ll just have to cough up your vote now, but that’s not so hard — after all, it’s hardly like the OOTDs this week were a blank page, or something.

Previous 2011 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

I think the ‘mistake’ choice also highlights the GLARING media double-standard better than most examples. The same question was asked of two different presidents. Both men responded in similar fashion. One was bedeviled by it for the duration of his term. Another was given a pass.

Why is that, do you think?

Troika37 on April 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I can’t choose just one.

ncborn on April 23, 2011 at 8:34 AM

O.B.A.MISTAKE.A

txag92 on April 23, 2011 at 8:34 AM

One was bedeviled by it for the duration of his term. Another was given a pass.

Why is that, do you think?

Troika37 on April 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM

The same reason the press isn’t freaking out about all the homeless and $4 a gallon gas.

Fallon on April 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I picked the first one. The man has no plan. Clueless, or maybe not clueless, but he’s in no way shape or form trying to improve the economy, reduce the debt or cut deficit spending.

Did any of you seriously think he would admit a mistake? Hahahahaha…

CTSherman on April 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Fallon on April 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I guess my question should have been: ‘why don’t more people NOTICE these things?’ Why is the media able to get away with the blatant whitewashing of all things Democrat? Is the electorate that disengaged?

Troika37 on April 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Would like to choose more than one this week!

Have a Happy Easter!

Bobbi on April 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM

OT: Marcia Morrissey has posted a classic post in the Headlines..It is a must read!..:)

Dire Straits on April 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Well, Obama has not made a mistake from his point of view. Tearing down the USA in as many ways as possible is hard work! USA at the brink in just two short years! Fundamentally transforming our Country (as promised ) into a socialist/fascist state. If not for the Tea Party he would have accomplished it. Therefore the Tea Party is making the mistakes, not Obama. Winning Duh

IowaWoman on April 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I voted for “can’t name a mistake”… In Obama’s world it’s the folks under the Obama bus who make all the mistakes.

philly_PA on April 23, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Forget about “can’t name a mistake” since it would have been much more glaring if he’d had some LSM type pestering him on it. The Budget, on the other hand, is really dumb because he’s already demonized the Ryan budget then says, if ours doesn’t work we’ll look at something like Ryan has.

bflat879 on April 23, 2011 at 8:53 AM

He makes my head hurt.

karenhasfreedom on April 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Fallon on April 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Or the fact that more troops have died in Afghanistan since Sh_thead took over than in the 7 years that Bush was CinC.

darwin-t on April 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I had to go with “can’t name a mistake” in light of the way Bush was hammered in the press for a similar remark.

mbs on April 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM

A mistake, by any other name, is still a mistake *Barry*.

“I failed that bar exam with six *Barrys* and a minor Mo.”/crr6cubed

Yoop on April 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM

He makes my head hurt.

karenhasfreedom on April 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM

He makes my as$ tired.

darwin-t on April 23, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Would like to choose more than one this week!

Bobbi on April 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Actually, the first three are the same thing – no plan, no strategy, no clue. Of course his ‘issues’ page is blank: how can he have a position on anything if the Science™ isn’t settled and polls aren’t in?

ss396 on April 23, 2011 at 9:05 AM

He makes my as$ tired.

darwin-t on April 23, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Um… what?

BadgerHawk on April 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Blank page = empty suit.

Kissmygrits on April 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Went with the $400B in defense cuts – this guy’s just winging it, no plan, no leadership, just having some young Ivy League kids slap together a speech with a bunch of empty promises. I’m happy this week with his sharp tack to the far left with his class warfare and tax the rich message. At this point before next year’s election he should be moving to the middle, but this sharp left turn shows he has problems with his base. One-termer.

PatMac on April 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Um… what?

BadgerHawk on April 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM

It’s one of my grandpa’s old sayings. He used it when people pissed him off.

darwin-t on April 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Ed, I wish you and your family a blessed Easter. All here of faith, a blessed Easter also.
L

letget on April 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM

52% of American voters made a BIG mistake. Happy Easter, Ed!
Here’s some thoughts.

kingsjester on April 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM

President WTF has made NO MISTAKES…….except not moving fast enough. Look, the Grant Park fill up my gas tank and Obama Stash gals are pretty pissed that he hasn’t run the rich folks out of the houses THEY STOLE from the poor. He’s gonna have to do better.

Maybe the Executive order guaranteeing 20 million new BIG GOV Illegal immigrant amnesty will save his 2012 behind?

Maybe the Donald splitting the GOP Conservative vote will save him?

No matter what……..think how hard it’s going to be to pick a quote….a single quote to sum up “Quote of the Presidency”?

PappyD61 on April 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Medicare. He’s already robbed it of a half-trillion to fund government health care. He’ll fund more death panels instead.

Liberals hate our seniors and the chronically ill.

Philly on April 23, 2011 at 9:25 AM

We’re in trouble, folks. I received an irate email from a very Leftist acquaintance who blames the loss of the value of his pension investments and the price of gas/food on Fox News propaganda and evil corporations. This idiocy comes from a college-”educated” person who is ripe and willing for government to take care of all of his needs. It is impossible to reason with a person who refuses to understand that his expectations for cradle-to-grave care grievously affects his own children’s and grandchildren’s futures.

The fact that I don’t watch television at all and only see video clips of programs at sites like HotAir is lost on a person with such emotionalism.

onlineanalyst on April 23, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Obama should have named himself as the mistake.

K.I.S.S.

profitsbeard on April 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Others are certainly more significant, but that blank “issues” page was so symbolic that I had to go with it. We’re just supposed to vote for him and support him. We don’t need to know why.

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Oh, and he’s “only one-fourth of the way through his term”. That had better make OOTD next week!

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I think the “mistake” one will be the Obamatuerism of the Year, 2011.

Nethicus on April 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

0bama
America’s biggest mistake—-ever!

OmahaConservative on April 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Was glad to see the 0OTW today…

OmahaConservative on April 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM

no plan, no strategy, no clue.

Another great sound bit slogan for anti-Obama ads next year.

karenhasfreedom on April 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM

These lists usually make me laugh but the $400 Billion in defense cuts makes me angry. His feckless regard for the men and women in our military and his cavalier approach to their use infuriates me.

PrincipleStand on April 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I can’t get to excited about the mistake question, the media did the same thing to W. Few would give anyone a club to someone to be beaten with. In his case I bet the press would use it to show how thoughtful he is. I think I’m going with Medicare, most don’t realize that he has already cut it. I do think it is interesting that he will cut old people and military, the two groups of people who have the most stark knowledge of what is going on.

Cindy Munford on April 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM

OmahaConservative on April 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM

How is your back doing?

Cindy Munford on April 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Cindy Munford on April 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Slowly improving. The MRI showed no disc or spinal/skeletal damage (Thank God) so no surgery for me.
The doc said it is just a severe muscular strain.

OmahaConservative on April 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM

OmahaConservative on April 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM

So I guess this means you won’t be coming to Florida to help with the yard. I’m glad it’s “only” muscle and pray for you quick return to normal.

Cindy Munford on April 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

He makes my head hurt.

karenhasfreedom on April 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM

He makes my as$ tired.

darwin-t on April 23, 2011 at 9:03 AM

He has wreaked havoc with my stomach the moment I heard the election results. How impossibly stupid can you get, people??? Did you ever listen to him???? Did you ever check out his checkered past??? I feel like I live in a field of dumb-bunnies, who refuse, and I mean refuse, to wake up to reality. La, la, la, la, la, Bush/Chaney, evil, evil, EVIL. Oh, by gosh, there is Tom Hanks (a smart one) and Gorgeous George Clooney (a handsome one) giving their A-O.K. of approval, wishing upon him, another term. This coming from smugsville, aka, a Hollowood type, who lives behind walls, barely looks at news, “Oh, I have a hang-nail, take care of it, ain’t she pretty, I could have some of that, where’s that script?, I’ll be a producer, doesn’t that look sophisticated? The invitation to the White House, sure, schedule me in, he seems cool.”

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Missed one, -I think we have little Bammie’s new campaign slogan: “We Can’t Just Let the Rich Relax & Count Their Money”

slickwillie2001 on April 23, 2011 at 11:30 AM

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

There’s not much I find more irritating than Hollywood endorsements. If you talk to these Hollywood types, or read real interviews that are unrehearsed, you realize that Hollywood actors and actresses are really not too bright. They have one talent, -acting, on which they have built their life. Other than that, there’s not much there. Why do we attach significance to their political opinions? If you find a good plumber, do you ask him who to vote for? If your pilot pulls off a great landing in crappy weather, do you ask him who to vote for? Why then do we care what a good actor thinks about politics?

slickwillie2001 on April 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Two and a half years is one-fourth of a 10-year term. What, did you think he’d be bound by the whole Constitution thingy?

I can’t remember where it was, but at some point during the campaign he talked about being the president for 10 years, as if he had no clue how long a presidential term is. Wass he really that clueless, or was he planning to change the length of the term of office, or did he figure he would just be so awesome a political figure that the nation would amend the Constitution to let him be president longer?

Any of those three possibilities sounds completely plausible.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

lickwillie2001 on April 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I whole-heartily agree. There is at least one person who does the job. He produces quips and bad-ass answers, plus, he’ll make you look smart. All you have to do is memorize his lines. He makes big bucks, buckoo bucks in Hollywood Land.

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Why is that, do you think?

Troika37 on April 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM

For the same reason that candidate Ø was never sandbagged with a question like “Who’s the Premier of Shangri-La” and three other inappropriate foreign government questions near the outset of his candidacy.

ExpressoBold on April 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Paul Lynde had a talent, as gay as it was, he was smart and quick. Personally, I wish he was still amongst us.

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

slickwillie2001 on April 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Surprisingly and shocking to me, is the host of, what the eff game show, I do not recall, really, claims that Hollywood-ites
are not that bright. Well, who would have thought so. Obviously, the Germans did the Pearly Harbor thingy/

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Ya know what? It’s getting really harder to choose these Obamateurisms. There are so many of them. And they’re all unforced errors.

rbj on April 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

What gets me, a marvel. that actually people out there, try to re-construct his statements. All the while, they know better.

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Had to go with coal causing asthma. Potus is no scientist and Flotus is no nutritionist. On the other hand, they give me great examples for a research class.

indypat on April 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

It’s not so much he wants to ‘improve’ Medicare as HOW he wants to do it.

He claimed that his ObamaCare program would help keep health-care costs from rising and push down deficit spending, mainly through the actions of the Independent Physicians Advisory Board (IPAB), which would have the power to, er, “make additional savings” …. but how?

Yes indeed, how? Better have a second look at IPAB…

Eren on April 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Libya, just days. Am I cool, or am I cool? Yes, in deed, MSM. I’ve got the Marchelle’s booked.

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM

We’ll do drones. Non specific. Hurts no one, unless you’re killed, and family, that’s a whoppes. Pass out candy. They died for the cause.

betsyz on April 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Did any of you seriously think he would admit a mistake? Hahahahaha…

CTSherman on April 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM

He is a narcissist. When things go wrong, it was because someone else made a mistake; it is their fault not his.

Narcissist rarely allow themselves to be in a position where they can no blame someone else for their failure and yet see their own actions as failing only because of the failure of others. Often these people end up being promted by their boss rather than reprimanded because of their success in laying the blame on others.

Narcissist tend to distant themselves from others that cause him difficulty in maintaining his self image, hence the term of “under the bus” coined for his perchant to distance himself from people no longer benificial to his goals

It is no suprise that Obama relies on others to make his decisions in ways that he is isolated from them if they are wrong.

We recently saw the angry narcissit head rise up when the Texas reporter, pointed out a mistake in what he had just said, in public and the punishment was instantly dealt for his arrogance of doing so.

Franklyn on April 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM

What’s wrong with all of you? Don’t you know Bambi is the great “I Won.”

I’m surprised he hasn’t yet declared himself savior of the world by being hauled up on a cross.

GrannyDee on April 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Our
Big
American
Mistake
Anyone?

AH_C on April 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Went with the blank page – so perfect in so many ways.

RedNewEnglander on April 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM

had to go with the last one…

pathetic

cmsinaz on April 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Obama is a Marxist buffoon!

MCGIRV on April 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I honestly think the man is just a liar.

redwhiteblue on April 24, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Our
Big
American
Mistake
Anyone?

AH_C on April 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM

ONE BIG A$$ED MISTAKE AMERICA is one of the sings I have in the back window of my truck.

Slowburn on April 24, 2011 at 3:45 AM

The Perfect Zero… my hero…/lame

RalphyBoy on April 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

An idiot, propped up on all sides by a fellating media.

SKYFOX on April 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM

How can Obowma be wrong?

He takes both sides of each issue:

1. Oil drilling stopped, on again, stopped again.
2. Israel supporter for Jerusalem as their capitol,
against Israel having Jerusalem as their capitol.
3. Mustn’t intervene in foreign countries, intervenes in
Libya.
4. Proposes closing Gitmo, leaves Gitmo open.
5. Against rendition, continues rendition.
6. Against “bombing civilians in the dead of night” while
bombing Khadaffi’s forces and civilians in Libya in the
dead of night.
7. Runs on cutting the national debt in half in 2 years,
doubles the national debt while demonizing Paul Ryans
plan to cut 6 trillion, switches again to cut 4
trillion in 12 years…..

Obowma is not a leader, he is a weather vane, his decisions are made by which way the wind is blowing (Bill Ayers reference).

dthorny on April 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM