Report: Huckabee making calls in Iowa?

posted at 9:09 pm on April 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

First we hear that he’s been meeting with wealthy donors in New York, then we hear that he’s chatting up prominent supporters in South Carolina, and now this. We’re going to have to start coming to terms with the fact that … he’s running.

Who’s going to tell Glenn Beck?

The man who leads in many national polls, former Arkansas Gov. Huckabee, is showing few outward signs he will get in. But Iowa GOP Gov. Terry Branstad believes that Mr. Huckabee, who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008, eventually will join the fray. The governor said Mr. Huckabee has begun making calls, canvassing some of the people who organized his 2008 Iowa campaign and asking some who have signed on with other candidates if they might switch back to him.

“I still say Huckabee is the favorite in Iowa if he runs,” Mr. Branstad said. “He’s made some calls. He’s ahead in the polls, and he knows it.”

Palin’s kinda sorta making contacts in Iowa too but Huck’s the one to beat. Meanwhile, in New Hampshire, Romney not only leads the field but he now leads even The One by fully eight points. Which makes me wonder if, assuming Huckabee jumps in, we’re not destined for a two-man race pretty quickly. Huck could easily win Iowa and use that as a springboard to victory in South Carolina; likewise for Mitt with New Hampshire and Nevada. That would make Florida even more important, and would set them up for a long slugfest to the nomination, with Huck winning big in the south and Romney presumably winning (albeit more narrowly) in midwestern and coastal states. I’m not sure who that dynamic would favor. Huckabee would have an obvious advantage in southern states, I assume, and could pile up delegates that way, but Romney would have deeper financial reserves and could pound him in ads. It might be a replay of the Obama/Hillary marathon, albeit with grassroots conservatives roundly horrified at having to choose between the two.

Here’s Larry Sabato’s first map of the 2012 campaign. Would Huckabee or Romney stand us a better chance of winning toss-up states?

Comments

More Milque Toaste…

singlemalt 18 on April 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Huckabee is a progressive who happens to be pro-life. If the GOP is stupid enough to nominate him, I’d just as soon see Obama re-elected 2 to 3 more times or more just to see the destruction of American by the Ruling Class completed.

pdigaudio on April 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM

He. will. not. beat. 0bama.

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

We are going to lose in 2012. Its like a slow motion train wreck and there’s not much we can do to stop it.

sharrukin on April 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Seriously? Mittens and Huckster is the best we can do? We’re looking at facing an incumbent who’s shaping up to be the worst President in modern history. And if he keeps going after states like Arizona, Wisconsin, and South Carolina, he could top even Buchanan. Yet when given the chance to field a true conservative, we’re gonna get stuck with these two?

Doughboy on April 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I won’t go that far but I may be tempted to sit it out for the first time in my life.

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Doughboy on April 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

For all I know, most of America might deserve another four years of Obama. I know I don’t, so that’s why I keep fighting.

gryphon202 on April 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Would Huckabee or Romney stand us a better chance of winning toss-up states?

Better question: If these are the only two guys who stand a chance of beating Obama (all the head-to-head polls show they are), which of the two is more conservative?

People here may not like either, but the answer to the above question is obvious. Might as well start getting used to it.

cschande on April 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM

AP, you really need to get past your stereotypes about the South. Just because Huck is from a Southern state doesn’t mean he is going to win down here. Note, he didn’t beat McCain in ’08. I seriously doubt he would win the majority of Southern primaries in ’12. Snap out of it man, your prognosticating rep is on the line.

JimP on April 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Someone said in a different thread that Beck went after Huck’s record as governor today. The list they posted was devastating for the Huck. Do you have that video/audio?

conservative pilgrim on April 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

He is a drip.

freedomplow on April 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

These bozo’s aren’t going to change a thing.

Let Obama win.

That way at least the right party gets the blame when it comes crashing down.

sharrukin on April 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

RINO!

Allahpundit on April 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM

After Palin, Huckabee rates rather high with me. He opposed the 2008 TARP bailout, and he’s highly articulate. He left Arkansas with a budget surplus. He proposes the abolition of the Federal Income Tax. He’s pro-life. He lost his Southern accent.

What is the problem?

Emperor Norton on April 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.
myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Never. That’s ridiculous. Why have that vote on your conscience? At the least vote third party.

conservative pilgrim on April 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I’m going with, She who should not be named….

idesign on April 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Relax everybody…

… It’s not like the election is tomorrow.

Seven Percent Solution on April 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

No way. I will leave the presidential race blank if either of these clowns is the nominee.

takeamericabackin10 on April 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I would vote for Mickey Mouse before I would vote for Obama.
Please don’t sit out. Remember the SCOTUS.

derft on April 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Please don’t sit out. Remember the SCOTUS.

derft on April 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I don’t trust Huckabee or his people to chose a justice any more than Obama.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Please don’t sit out. Remember the SCOTUS.

derft on April 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

David Souter, Harriet Miers, etc.

sharrukin on April 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Romney is beating zero in NH and PA. We’re going to easily take back, IN, OH, FL, VA and NC. Romney is also very close in NV and MI. Look, Romney is a wart but he’s a wart that can kick out the socialist. Unless there’s some white knight who can beat Obama; I’ll take Romney for eight years then Rubio for another eight after that.

IR-MN on April 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Please don’t sit out. Remember the SCOTUS.

derft on April 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Not very likely. I always go down and loyally man the GOP phone banks the weekend before the election (even in CA for 25 yrs, a lost cause) urging a get out and vote forfeiting the comforts of my home.
SCOTUS is my favorite talking point to registered Republicans.

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Emperor Norton, may I suggest a short trip to The Blaze? Glenn’s recitation of some of the Hucksters positions and actions in the past (support of global warming, Moochelles obesity initiative, pardoning of violent criminals because they’d “found Jesus”) is quite devastating.

DocinPA on April 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Hell, I got a robocall in Texas. I think he’s likeable among the low-info, but I still wouldn’t vote for him. Unless someone promised me 12 hours stuck in a an elevator with John Boehner and a case of bourbon, off the record and down the memory hole. If you can do that, Huck, I’m yours darlin’…

Fortunata on April 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Huck A Bee, Huck A Bee. Hell yeah. I know the Sarahtologists will have trouble coming to grips, but time heals all wounds.

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Nobody panic. Yes, Huck is making calls in Iowa. Turns out he just asking if anyone has an extra pack of double-stuff oreos he can borrow.

Kataklysmic on April 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Whether you board the Huckabee train, or the Obama Supersonic Concord Jet, the destination is the same.

We need to put it in reverse, not a lower gear.

DeathB4Tyranny on April 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Fortunata on April 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Sounds kinky but whatever.

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM

SCOTUS is my favorite talking point to registered Republicans.

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Any republican would make a better choice then Obama.

derft on April 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM
==============

RINO!

Allahpundit on April 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Allahpundit:LOL,nearly spitnzee my tea out,as my cats look
ed on in near horror,haha!:)

canopfor on April 22, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Sounds kinky but whatever.

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM

You’ve got me confused with my alternate governor…
Kinky, moi?

Fortunata on April 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

“What is the problem?
Emperor Norton on April 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM”

Here is the problem summed up:

JimP on April 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

huck or Mitt.

Nothing says 4 more year sof Obama better

Well on the plus side it will save me a lot of money, time and effort.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

conservative pilgrim on April 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Ask and you shall receive.

Kataklysmic on April 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Huckabee’s Hucksters Hauling Political *ss to Iowa
for a Hopeful Huckabee Hoe-Down HuckaTeer Hullabaloo!!

canopfor on April 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

huck or Mitt.

Nothing says 4 more year sof Obama better

Well on the plus side it will save me a lot of money, time and effort.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

unseen: Preach it,er,sing it Sister—————–:)

canopfor on April 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM

We now know who Allahpundits dream date is.

WoosterOh on April 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Look huck always said he would run if Palin didn’t run away with the race.

the RInos STOP PALIN campaign opened the door for huck. I for one hopes huck makes them choke on it.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Wasn’t it at about this point in time before the 2008 elections when all the polls and pundits were convinced that the final winners of the primary steeplechase would be Guliani and Hillary?

Somehow I don’t think Huck is going to make it out of the primaries if he does run.

Kirin on April 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM

What time is QOTD on Fridays? This is my first Friday in months that I can stay up late.

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Kirin on April 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Go to the bank on that.

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Ask and you shall receive.

Kataklysmic on April 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Kataklysmic:Interesting!

Beck dissecting Huckabee’s curious “booger bear” charge:
********************************************************

canopfor on April 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

huckbeee wont win………i’ll settle for romney or paw

TimeTraveler on April 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM

We now know who Allahpundits dream date is.

WoosterOh on April 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Meghan McCain in a bunny suit with a double side of Friskies.

Fortunata on April 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM

JimP on April 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Kataklysmic on April 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Thanks!

DeathB4Tyranny on April 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM

pdigaudio on April 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM

then you are in luck because if huck or mitt is the nominee it really doesn’t matter if Obama wins or not the politcal class will continues its destruction so your set.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM

huckbeee wont win………i’ll settle for romney or paw

TimeTraveler on April 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Mitt will never get my vote he is a socialist in the same mold as Obama. i don’t vote for socialists that mandate what free people’s spend their money on.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Huckabee can’t beat Trump or Romney!

It’s called MONEY, and he doesn’t have it!

technopeasant on April 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM

So if Mitt or huck win the nomination will I still have time to change parties and pretend that I was always pro-obama so i’m not picked up in the sweeps as Obama completes is fundemental change of America?

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Huckabee can’t beat Trump or Romney!

It’s called MONEY, and he doesn’t have it!

technopeasant on April 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Trump is a joke and Huck can smack Romney around again

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Who else do you have in mind?

TimeTraveler on April 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM

OmahaConservative:————:)

canopfor on April 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Trump is a joke and Huck can smack Romney around again

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM

…only to go on and lose the nomination to someone else, AGAIN.

gryphon202 on April 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

If Huck were to win the R nomination, Mitt’s minions would do what they could to scuttle his election chances. It’s called payback…
If Romney were to win the R nomination, Huck’s minions would do what they could to scuttle his election chances. As they did in ’08…

The dems opposition research people wouldn’t take it easy on either of them even though the obamanation’s path to re-election would be easier with Huck/Mitt as the general election opponent…

Gohawgs on April 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Time for them to suck it up.

Than who? Hermain Cain, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Donald Trump? Yes.

Vyce on April 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM

gryphon202 on April 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Now now. True conservatives, real Republicans want Huckabee. Check the polls.You will come around.

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I predict Huck and Romney savage each other to a spectacular early crash and burn, this helps T-Paw to gain some ground, meanwhile Obama’s campaign against his previous self have his numbers continuing to slide with his base instead of becoming enthusiastic, are going WTF. Then Palin enters the race after Trump has left, GAME ON.

bigmike on April 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Who else do you have in mind?

TimeTraveler on April 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Better than Mitt?:

the entire GOP field.

Trump Newt and Huck are my bottom picks . Mitt is a no go for me. Palin is my top pick. I would love to see West run but he isn’t. Tpaw I could vote for if I had too. Danials would be better than Mitt or huck. Maybe not better than Trump and Newt. MB is too inexperienced to even consider seriously. Whoelse?

There is a far drop off from Palin to the res tof the field…..then they are all pretty much in the same group of maybes then a far drop off again to the very bottom of the barrel and that would be Mitt and Obama.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Third party time.

wheelgun on April 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Some folks have said that Tea in a pot is liberal on some issues.

TimeTraveler on April 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I keep telling myself that nobody could be dumb enough to support Huckabee….then I remember who we have in the oval office now.

ElectricPhase on April 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Ask and you shall receive.
Kataklysmic on April 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Thanks mucho!

conservative pilgrim on April 22, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Hillary 12′

Only way the true right will beat Obama and the progressive right all at once.

tjexcite on April 22, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Everybody here knows i am a Romney guy..and he is a going to win, by the way. However, this statement is obscene and completely moronic.

This is how you morons voted for that nonentity, that calls herself a witch.

Chudi on April 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM

David Souter, Harriet Miers, etc.

sharrukin on April 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

The man who appointed Souter also appointed Clarence Thomas.

W nominated Harriet Miers, but he also appointed Roberts and Alito.

While Huckabee might not be guaranteed to nominate the perfect Supreme Court Justices every time, that uncertainty is still preferable to the certainty of what’ll happen with further additions to the court by Obama.

Mister Mets on April 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Huck is getting pushed into this, but he likes his current jobs, PAYCHECKS. Right now he’s wearing his pink tutu and flirting with the cameras but he can’t win because he knows he just doesn’t have what it takes.

tim c on April 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I will vote for Obama before I vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

This is how you morons voted for that nonentity, that calls herself a witch.

Chudi on April 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM

We voted conservative. You moderates and independents have had your time. For the last 22 years you’ve gotten your way, but not this time. The GOP will have a strong conservative or they will fail.

wheelgun on April 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I thought I was through with Huckabee but it looks like I will have to resurrect this nugget again.

Up to and including Super Tuesday in 2008, Mike Huckabee, while getting 38% of the evangelical vote cast only got 8% of the non-evangelical votes cast.

Folks, you might not be aware of this but only 25% of the overall electorate call themselves evangelical. That’s 75% of the electorate Huck does not play well with.

And the Dems know this. In Dec 2007, the DNC circulated a memo that Huckabee would be “an easy kill” similar to McGovern and passed down the message under no circumstances was anyone in the Democratic Party to criticize or attack Huckabee. Drudge got a hold of this memo then and the DNC denied it.

But bottom line folks, Huck has led in many polls released over the past year. When the last time the Democrats attacked Huckabee? I rest my case.

technopeasant on April 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Seen this? Poll: Jeb crushes Obama in Florida

slickwillie2001 on April 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM

So when is romney going to show his birth certificate? Does anyone know ? Is anyone curious what HIS problem with a BC might be?

bigmike on April 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM

bigmike on April 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Comes straight from IBM. Verrrrry interesting info.

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Huck can smack Romney around again

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Do you mean in the numbers? Sure he can, as long as he stays in till he gets the numbers he wants, even if he has to stay in long past the nomination (again), which he won’t get again.

I would vote for anyone before I voted for that religious bigoted ignoramus.

Eren on April 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM

bigmike on April 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM

We can only hope he was born in Mexico.

sharrukin on April 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Eren on April 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM

So you are leaning Huckabee?

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Mister Mets on April 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Sorry. I have had the Scary Obama Doll shaken at me too many times for it to be all that frightening.

sharrukin on April 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Huckster cant even honor a diet.

WoosterOh on April 22, 2011 at 11:10 PM

wheelgun on April 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Where is your conservative now. I don’t really have conversations with morons, so good night.

Chudi on April 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

guess things are not as dire as you have been painting them…

Bradky on April 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM

If I have to choose between Mitt Romney or Huckabee, the answer is very obvious. I’m gonna vote for Mitt Romney.

Conservative Samizdat on April 23, 2011 at 3:15 AM

bigmike on April 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Mitt Romney doesn’t have a BC problem. He was born Detroit Michigan on March 12, 1947.

And Mitt Romney has said on the Kudlow Report that the most important thing to focus on is how badly Obama has messed up the economy.

Conservative Samizdat on April 23, 2011 at 3:20 AM

It’s past time for Fox News to stop giving him free campaign media time? If he had to declare its value it would rival the national debt (alright -under Truman)

Don L on April 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Chudi on April 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Gotta admire a man who refrains from talking to himself.

Romneycare is a proven flipflopper. He’s duplicitous, two faced, and spineless. In short, he’s a lot like the President. RomneyTrumpHuck all constitute the same basic mistake: a progressive Republican would be far worse than a progressive Democrat at this time.

ElectricPhase on April 23, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Unfortunately, that sounds too much like: we need to let the gorilla pitch because the guy we got in there now has given up a dozen runs.

Replacing a sinking boat with shiny new one without a deck or floor isn’t my kind of solution to a problem. No more plastic phoneys will ever get my vote.

I’ll write in Sarah if she doesn’t announce – better to go down with someone who doesn’t mind gutting a salmon or a carabou than someone slick who’ll gut pre-borns.

Don L on April 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM

This is how you morons voted for that nonentity, that calls herself a witch.

Chudi on April 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM

It would be moronic to cast a vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on April 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM

The bigot vote can’t be that strong this year!

csdeven on April 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Gohawgs on April 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Not true. When Mitt Romney suspended his campaign in 2008, he endorsed John McCain and started flying around the country to get people to vote for him.

If Mitt Romney wanted to get back at John McCain, he had a good reason to do so since John McCain did collude with Mike Huckabee to prevent Mitt Romney from winning the 2008 West Virginia primaries.

Mitt Romney would be just as gracious to Mike Huckabee if he becomes the 2012 GOP nominee as he was to John McCain.

Gohawgs on April 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Yes and no. The Mainstream media will not go easy on either Huck or Romney.

However, polls show that Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney have the best chances of defeating Obama in 2012. No other candidate, according to the polls, can do that.

Conservative Samizdat on April 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Conservative Samizdat on April 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM

And once again, I feel compelled to point out that polls are not how I pick my candidates.

gryphon202 on April 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM

gryphon202 on April 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I agree with you.

However, I was just refuting claim that Obama would have an easy time defeating Mike Huckabee or Mitt Rommney. It would actually be a slugfest for Obama.

The polls are pretty consistent in showing that Obama’s biggest challengers would be those two men.

Conservative Samizdat on April 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Any poll taken now is (a) irrelevant and (b) designed to harm any potential true conservative candidate. Much like in 1979 and early 1980, when the blueblood countryclubbers threw the kitchen sink at Ronaldus Magnus to stop him. Polls showed Reagan with high name ID, high negatives and supposedly no chance of beating the Worst. President. Ever. (up to then) in Jimmy Carter. Reagan trailed Carter by 25 points in most polls.

The Judge Smails crowd tried Howard Baker. They tried Bob Dole. They even tried talking former President Ford into running. Eventually they settled on George H.W. Bush, who couldn’t stop Reagan. How’d that turn out again? I keep forgetting. Oh yeah, two landslides later America had its best president in the 20th century.

Do not fall for this horse hockey from the Republican Ruling Elite when they talk about “electability.” Know what “electability” means? Easier for Obama to defeat.

Don’t let those bastards pick the GOP nominee. Let the GOP voters do that. We may not get Reagan 2.0, but we sure as hell do not need John McCain 2.0.

pdigaudio on April 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Oh, if it comes down to Romney or Huck, I am going with Romney.

pdigaudio on April 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM