CNN anchor confesses his “eco-sins” to cleanse for Earth Day

posted at 2:52 pm on April 22, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Hey, look, I’m Catholic — so I know a few things about confessions. The nice thing about Catholic confessions is that we celebrate that sacrament in private. The religious practice of Mother Gaia apparently dictates public shaming as a way to appease the deity for Earth Day, which is at least a little more entertaining than sacrificing a goat, and more economical than sacrificing T.J. Holmes’ SUV. This CNN clip posted by Newbusters reminds me more of the background programming in the film 1984 with John Hurt, which had people on television confessing to thoughtcrime on a 24/7 basis, but then again, I’m not exactly up on the Gaia magisterium these days anyway:

T.J. HOLMES, CNN anchor: Well, in today’s “XYZ,” I’d like confess my sins.  I drive a Chevy Tahoe. It gets 15 miles to the gallon in the city. While some people have SUVs to haul their large families around, it’s just me driving by myself to work every day.  I have a number of TVs in my high house and leave them on just about all day, every day.  I often turn the water on in the shower, then I walk downstairs to maybe grab breakfast, leave the water running, then I go back upstairs to take a shower.

I buy 24 packs of bottled water at a time. Then I throw those bottles away without recycling.  In the winter I crank the heat up to 75 or 76. All the light bulbs in my house are still the old school, less efficient incandescent bulbs.

Those are my eco-sins. I’m confessing them to you because tomorrow is Earth Day. It often goes ignored by many of us, including me. Not going to ignore this year. Why? Well, maybe it was an awakening. Maybe I was scolded recently by an environmentalist. Maybe I’m tired of wasting my own money.  Whatever my reasons, whatever yours, happy Earth Day.

Er … say five Rachel Carsons and sing three Bob Dylan songs, my fellow planetary traveler, and go thee out and sin no more.

Let’s not pretend that religion has left the public square.  Let’s just recognize that it has changed denominations.  And in that vein, allow me to wish my fellow Christians a happy Good Friday and blessed upcoming Easter, and my Jewish friends belated greetings for Passover.

Comments

CNN = Utter Joke.

Del Dolemonte on April 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Indulgences may be purchased from Pope Gore.

eforhan on April 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

If it’s a religion now, can we invoke the establishment clause on it?

Count to 10 on April 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

What a total fool.

MJZZZ on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Douchebag.

What size water heater does this guy have? I’m just a little envious.

lorien1973 on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Go here to confess your sins.

JammieWearingFool on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Cultists.

kingsjester on April 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Without repentance for these “sins”, he would be spending eternity in a styrofoam cup manufacturing plant.

portlandon on April 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM

So you pay more for gasoline, electric, whatever you use for a heat source, and your rubbish removal. YOUR CHOICE!!!!
That’s ok. Isn’t choice what libs like???

Rich on April 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM

That’s ok. Isn’t choice what libs like???

Rich on April 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Kill an unborn child = Okay.

Not Recycle in your household = Stone them! Burn them! Blasphemer!

portlandon on April 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM

—————————

Whats worse? The above or an incandescent lightbulb factory??

Rich on April 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I have a number of TVs in my high house and leave them on just about all day, every day. I often turn the water on in the shower, then I walk downstairs to maybe grab breakfast, leave the water running, then I go back upstairs to take a shower.
I buy 24 packs of bottled water at a time. Then I throw those bottles away without recycling. In the winter I crank the heat up to 75 or 76.

Jeez, I’m no eco-nut, but that’s all just wasteful. I’d hate to see his electric/water/gas bill.

mbs on April 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Considering they chose Good Friday for Earth Day, I guess it is fitting. It is all about replacing God with secular religion. Worshiping the created instead of the Creator.

Southernblogger on April 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

None of my business, but when I go to confession my sins are real and my forgiveness is real. Wonder if T.J. Holmes takes real religion as a joke or if he is mocking those of us who do take it serious.

fourdeucer on April 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Rachael Carson is responsible for the deaths of multi-millions because she led the fight to remove DDT. Nothing wrong with it. Now millions die because of the mosquitoes that are no longer controlled. Nice job greenies.

sandee on April 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Hey man, I assume you vote all Democrat ticket. So your covered brother.

Hummer53 on April 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Another group that does this is communists. You have to confess your failings before the group. It’s a way of tearing down the individual, making him smaller than the group.

rbj on April 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I’ve been recycling for many years…. paper, glass, cans, plastic, everything. When it was voluntary and not very convenient (for a long time, I had to sort everything and take it to the local “igloos” myself).

I know a lot of leftists who either still don’t recycle (because the gevernment doesn’t “force” them to), or have ony recently started.

I’m sure that this will surprise many of you, but leftists are total hypocrites.

UltimateBob on April 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

fourdeucer on April 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

This is mocking true faith, pure and simple. Do you think they would pull this crap over Ramadan? Think again.

CNN jumped the shark years ago.

tcn on April 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Can’t leave out a round of Puff the Magic Dragon.

BobMbx on April 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Maybe I was scolded recently by an environmentalist.

I’m gonna guess this one.

Fallon on April 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Nothing we didn’t already know. The people who preach the loudest about the environment do so because they think everyone else should sacrifice -Not them.

taznar on April 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM

My tv and computer are on 24/7, I drive a V8 lincoln, when I eat I only use Styrofoam plates and cups and plastic utensils. I do not use florescent bulbs, nor do I have a low flow toilet. Why do I do all this? To annoy people like Al Gore.

Daveyardbird on April 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Can’t leave out a round of Puff the Magic Dragon.

Something tells me he does that whether he sins or not.

Hummer53 on April 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Maybe I was scolded recently by an environmentalist.

I guess the enviros have mastered The Force.

You do not want to buy bottled water in plastic bottles

I do not want to buy bottled water in plastic bottles.

You want to vote for Obama in 2012

I want to vote for Obama in 2012

Simple-minded script reader.

BobMbx on April 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

flyfisher on April 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM

UltimateBob on April 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Recycling may be the most wasteful activity in modern America: a waste of time and money, a waste of human and natural resources.

I never recycle because I do care about the environment.

Norwegian on April 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM

What size water heater does this guy have? I’m just a little envious.

lorien1973 on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Agreed. Mine wouldn’t last that long.

Esthier on April 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Remember once upon a time, a long long time ago, when CNN actually reported the news and people took the network seriously?

pilamaye on April 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I absolutely pledge that when my energy use and carbon footprint reaches 95% of Al Gore’s, I too will fly around the world in my private jet telling the little people that they must cut back their miserly energy use.

RJL on April 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM

If TV’s are contributing to GW, then an appropriate way to celebrate this holiday is to not watch CNN. Do it for the planet….

joejm65 on April 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I must confess my own eco-sins!

I had a Big Beefy Beanie Burrito from Taco Luis of lunch, and I just now had a natural occuring eruption of methane erupt into the atmosphere, which I know will now result in a further shrinking of the Ozone Layer!

Forgive me! I have sinned!!!!!

pilamaye on April 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM

The guys lying on top of it, why would anyone turn the shower on then go eat breakfast? That doesn’t even make any sense.

lowandslow on April 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I pledge to call people like this douchbags every time I hear/see one.

txag92 on April 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM

P.T Barnum would be a multi- billionaire today with these simpletons and fools.

jjshaka on April 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Eco-sins? What did he do … use two squares of toilet paper instead of one?

What a pu**y.

jdflorida on April 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Just so this guy can realize his confession is all for naught, I will enrich the fuel mixture on my riding mower this weekend, and as I mow the 2.5 acres of lawn, I will fumigate the planet with my exhaust.

Afterwards, I will ignite the bonfire in my fire pit and finally get rid of the 700 lbs of old polyester carpet (the thick, black smoke is amazing) we replaced over the winter. While the carpet incinerates, I’ll light my gas grill and Bar-b-que the carcass of Betsy the Moo Cow.

Then, after dinner settles, we’ll get the kids out and blast off some fireworks (of the mortar variety).

Oh, on Sunday, those damn ants are in for it……

BobMbx on April 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Oh my Gaia, I am heartily glad for having offended thee, and I rejoice in all my splurging because I dread the loss of light and the cold on my feet, but most of all because they offend the ecofreaks, who are all bad and deserving of all my scorn. I firmly resolve without the help of thy grace to drive my SUV, to be flatulent at my will, to crank up the A/C this summer, and to enjoy my life. Amen.

karl9000 on April 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I was totally with him for the first two paragraphs. The third one ruined the whole thing, though.

In observance of Earth Day, I’m going out for an extra-long drive. And I’ll turn on every light in the house tonight.

tsj017 on April 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Not going to ignore this year. Why? Well, maybe it was an awakening.

I’ll bet you Al Gore’s mansion he drove the exact same Chevy Tahoe to work by himself this morning just like he did yesterday.

Count it!

saint kansas on April 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM

What size water heater does this guy have? I’m just a little envious.

lorien1973 on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Agreed. Mine wouldn’t last that long.

Esthier on April 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM

It’s gotta be one of those new on-demand, tankless water heaters. I wish I had one. Gaia be d@mned, someday I will! In a shower with multiple shower heads.

Just think of the waste…

Maybe I’ll dry off with paper towels, to boot…

karl9000 on April 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM

You know folks, we kind of laugh at tales of the barbaric celestial and Earth centered religions of the Aztecs, Mayans, etc, but the progs in our society are pushing us exactly in that direction.

Why doesn’t our legal system treat Gaianism as just another religion that must be distinct from government? Why do democratics promote one religion over another?

slickwillie2001 on April 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM

What kills me is how much worse he is at all this than I am, yet he’s probably one of those trying to increase the costs on everything for me.

In fact, I notice that those who blab the most about this sort of thing are generally the very ones who excuse their own “transgressions,” because of course what they need and want is important. Because they are important. See.

Alana on April 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM

You don’t have to be an eco-nut to think that’s just weird. Who turns their shower on, goes and eats breakfast while the water is running, and then comes back to finally shower? Bizarre.

clearbluesky on April 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Well at least we know what color the “handbasket” is.

reaganaut on April 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM

What’s this guys water bill like?

Hey, as long as he feeeels better after confessing his “sins”, that’s what’s important here.

melchitt on April 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Quick! Call the ACLU someones practicing religion on TV!

kringeesmom on April 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Environmentalists’ “Person Of The Year” Fortesque P Belch who conserved water by refraining from bathing for 5 whole years! Those gentlemen seen wearing gas masks are presenting him the reward.

MaiDee on April 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Give the guy a break.He is still on the plantation,only he has hot water.

docflash on April 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Isn’t it a requirement for Earth Day…

… for Liberals like Kloppenburg to squat over a mirror and write a letter to her genitals?

Seven Percent Solution on April 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Oh, on Sunday, those damn ants are in for it……

BobMbx on April 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Hope they are the 4.2 mortars. the W.P. are nice for burning the trash.

fourdeucer on April 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Really, what the environmentalists want us all to do is die.

At least, that would be the natural result of our no longer heating our homes, going anywhere, or eating.

They act like everyone is as rich as they are, too, and hasn’t already cut back to the bone.

Alana on April 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM

T.J. could care less about Mother Gaia:

[M]aybe it was an awakening.

Maybe I was scolded recently…

Maybe I’m tired of wasting my own money…

Brooke, I just confessed to you on national TV!

What he was really saying is:

Brooke, I just made a total fool of myself on (semi) national TV for you. Will you please go out with me now?

Beta male.

Paging Allah. Paging Allah.

pain train on April 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Isn’t it a requirement for Earth Day…

Seven Percent Solution on April 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hats off to 7%. Its a rare day when I’m completely unable to retort in anyway.

A response to that may not exist.

BobMbx on April 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Weirdos.

SouthernGent on April 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Indulgences may be purchased from Pope Gore.

eforhan on April 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Yup.

petefrt on April 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM

My version…

T.J. HOLMES, CNN anchor Behiker, hard working American: Well, in today’s “XYZ,” I’d like confess my sins. I drive a Chevy Tahoe Nissan Xterra. It gets 15 miles to the gallon in the city. While some people have SUVs to haul their large families around, it’s just me driving by myself to work every day It suits my lifestyle. I have a number of one TVs in my high modest house and leave them on just about all day, every day I only watch it every once in awhile. I often turn the water on in the shower, then I walk downstairs to maybe grab breakfast, leave the water running, then I go back upstairs to and the second the water is warm I step in to take a shower.

I buy 24 packs of bottled water at a time drink tap water. Then I throw those bottles away without recycling I recycle what I can because it’s as easy enough to set on the curb as it is in the garbage. In the winter I crank the heat up to 75 or 76 67 or 68 and turn it down to 62 when I’m away or sleeping. All the light bulbs in my house are still the old school, less efficient incandescent bulbs, but don’t contain mercury that harms the environment.

Those are my eco-sins. I’m confessing them to you because tomorrow is Earth Day. It often goes ignored by many of us, including me. Not going to ignore this year. Why? Well, maybe it was an awakening. Maybe I was scolded recently by an environmentalist. Maybe I’m tired of I don’t like wasting my own money. Whatever my reasons, whatever yours, happy Earth Day Good Friday, Passover, and Easter.

behiker on April 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM

lorien1973 on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM
Esthier on April 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM

He might just have one of those on demand style water heaters.

chemman on April 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Say 12 Hail Gaia’s and plant a tree.

NEXT!

mojo on April 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

behiker on April 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Exactly.

To my Jewish friends on the site I hope your Passover meant your needs.

To my Christian friends may Good Friday and Easter help you to remember what Jesus came for.

To my other friends here may whatever faith tradition or non faith tradition you practice bring you the personal peace you desire.

chemman on April 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I farted for Earth Day.

GoodBoy on April 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Communist “self criticism”.

Django on April 22, 2011 at 4:39 PM

“Although I care about international and domestic affairs and actively participate in Communist Party activities, I study other things in a passive way. In my leisure time … I rarely study Marxism-Leninism-Mao Zedong Thought and Deng Xiaoping Theory and the Three Represents.”

Django on April 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I farted for Earth Day.

GoodBoy on April 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I saw a great bumper sticker the other day: “What if everyone in the world…farted at once?”

On an equally serious note, are there mortal and venial eco-sins?

Indulgences may be purchased from Pope Gore.

eforhan on April 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Wow, the analogy is complete. Indulgences = carbon credits. The difference is that real indulgences do not absolve you from sin or permit a future sin, but carbon credits do.

Goldenavatar on April 22, 2011 at 4:44 PM

That’s nice of him to announce his “eco” sins. Um, be nice if this climahypocrite would, you know, change his behavior instead. But, then, almost none of the climate morons match their actions with their rhetoric.

Of course, with liberals, intentions are more important than action and results.

William Teach on April 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Go here to confess your sins.

JammieWearingFool on April 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Thanks Jammie – I just went there to “confess” that I think recycling is a farce but I do it anyway because it’s easy & the trucks are making the run anyway.

mdenis39 on April 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

MikeknaJ on April 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM

No story here. Liberals can’t walk their talk, but they are going to make sure we knuckle under their dictates.

Mallard T. Drake on April 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I’m shocked to learn that the MSM doesn’t practice what it preaches.

Trainwreck on April 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM

oh, and btw….I want to have AL Gore’s chilrens….

BigWyo on April 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I took note that he didn’t say specifically which of these sins he would stop. Bet it’s not the Tahoe… Not the solo drives to work, or the bottled water either… Maybe the recycling thing… Nah… If he didn’t catch that one by now it’s too late for him to get the hang of all that trash sorting.
Someone should remeber to call him on this stuff next Earth Day.
By-the-by… We did “Planting Day” at the retreat 2 weeks ago. Me and the grandkids planted cherry trees to fill in the orchard a bit more. I got video of a dozen wild turkeys crossing my property on their way to roost.
One of my cousins that hunts saw the video and remarked… ‘that wouldn’t even be hunting’ (taking one of the turkeys)… My reply… ‘Ah Yup… It’ll be more like harvesting’…
Good luck America. Prepare for the worst because the people in charge couldn’t care less about you, and the MSM are officially their butt-buddies and boot-licking bafoons.

RalphyBoy on April 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

The Sinner in Chief had a nice Earth Day of sinning…
I’d rather confess Barry’s sins than mine anyday!

RalphyBoy on April 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM

My turn to confess my eco-sins also.

I use more than one sheet of toilet paper at a time.
Gosh, I feel real free and at peace with my world now.

Don L on April 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Does this fool think that Gaia will forgive and bless him? I suspect that he’ll soon wish he directed those prayers elsewhere.

zoyclem on April 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM

My turn to confess my eco-sins also.

I use more than one sheet of toilet paper at a time.
Gosh, I feel real free and at peace with my world now.

I just feel so sorry for the co-founder of “worship the earth and not its Creator day” -killing his girl and then composting her body in,…are you ready Ghia gods? Styrofoam -how can that kind of eco-abuse be forgiven – isn’t syrofoam bad for one’s health?

Don L on April 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Not sure what he means by “high house”. I’m guessing a high rise condo, which is probably included water. Hot water is probably on a building boiler. Also included.
Still a douche.

Maybe I was scolded recently by an environmentalist.

Maybe said enviromentalist should have got punched in the face.

chewydog on April 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Sins are not forgiven without a “firm purpose of amendment.”

No absolution for this guy!

marybel on April 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Even though this fact has been disappeared from the Earth Day website, the founder and first MC of the Earth Day celebration was the girlfriend-murderer Ira Einhorn.

Another thing not to forget is that April 22, 1970 was chosen because it was Lenin’s 100th birthday. The Russians planned an enormous tree planting in the form of a congratulatory message (in Cyrillic, one assumes) to the hijacker of the Russian revolution.

Its size indicated that it was apparently intended to be read by the God they didn’t believe in.

warbaby on April 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Only a liberal would turn on the hot water and then go down and have breakfast. Or leave the house with all the Tvs on. Liberals spend like there is no tomorrow.

The root of the word conservative is conserve. Conservatives believe in husbanding our resources – whether they be natural, financial, human, or otherwise – for tomorrow, not spending like drunken sailors on shore leave. That’s what liberals do.

So, yes, he is a douche.

keep the change on April 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM

T.J. HOLMES, CNN anchor: Well, in today’s “XYZ,” I’d like confess my sins. I drive a Chevy Tahoe. It gets 15 miles to the gallon in the city. While some people have SUVs to haul their large families around, it’s just me driving by myself to work every day.

Like most of CNN’s anchors you’re politically left of center. I’m one of those teabagging wingnuts you like to laugh at thinking you are smarter than them. I also love cars (gasoline, diesel, electric, whatever) and if your Tahoe brings a smile to your face, drive it in good health. Still, for a lot of my transportation needs I ride a bicycle. Not only is my bicycle more environmentally righteous than your Tahoe (though my CO2 output on the bike is non-trivial), it’s more environmentally sound than a Prius covered with COEXIST and Love Gaia bumper stickers.

I have a single television set and it’s on when I feel like watching it. I do admit, not confess, to sometimes having the tv on silently with a sporting event, while listening to the stereo or the radio, while reading or writing at the computer. But then I’m a stimulus junkie. I like that information flow. I do also often run three computers at once, four if you count the one built into my embroidery machine but I suppose those are mostly business related.

Geez, you’re a wasteful idiot. I live in Michigan, surrounded by much of the world’s fresh water, the Great Lakes, and while I admit that I’ll turn on the shower before sitting on the can, normally I run it till it’s hot, then take a 2 minute shower. Besides, if you live in such a “high house”, you probably have a dual hot water tank system that may even recirculate the hot water.

Water is pretty cheap, and is very recyclable, but you’re genuinely wasting whatever fuel is used to heat your water. You’re not guilty of sins against Mother Earth, you’re guilty of being a wasteful idiot.

Where I live, tap water tastes better than bottled. Besides, why would you pay so much money for water? Tap water is so much cheaper.

In the winter I crank the heat up to 75 or 76.

What are you, a lizard? The vast majority of people are comfortable at 68-72 degrees, whether winter or summer. But then a CNN anchor probably identifies with Barack Obama, who keeps the Oval Office like he was back in Hawaii.

That’s good. At least you’re not exposing yourself to mercury, and other toxic, possibly carcinogenic chemicals. BTW, LED lights are much more efficient than CFLs.

In a new report, scientists in Germany warn that compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) emit carcinogenic chemicals and toxins—including phenol, naphthalene, and styrene—when turned on, resulting in what one scientists describes as “electrical smog.” Because of that, they should be used “very economically” and “should not be used in unventilated areas and definitely not in the proximity of the head,” he adds.

rokemronnie on April 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM

What a tool.

JustJP on April 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Er … say five Rachel Carsons and sing three Bob Dylan Pete Seeger songs, my fellow planetary traveler, and go thee out and sin no more.

Seeger’s a better choice imho.

Buy Danish on April 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Wow. What struck me even more than the pathetic nature of confessing envirosins on cable TV was just how absolutely terrible this guy is at energy conservation.

Turn the shower on and then get breakfast? WTF?

BadgerHawk on April 23, 2011 at 1:14 AM

CNN anchor confesses his “eco-sins” to cleanse for Earth Day

Paganism, which has been around since ancient Grecko/Roman times, experiences periodic resurgences, followed by a collapse when people realize that Paganism is fundamentally both amoral and suicidal.

Paganism is frequently associated with prostitution and human sacrifice. This latest version seems to be focused on making human life as miserable as possible.

Let’s note which media and government entities are so loudly pushing “Earth Day”, and call them out if they fail to do the same for Christmas, Passover, etc.

landlines on April 24, 2011 at 2:38 AM