Video: Gary Johnson’s running for president

posted at 5:45 pm on April 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “New Ron Paul ready to take on old Ron Paul.” He’s pro-gay-marriage, pro-legalization of marijuana, pro-choice (which Paul is not), and very, very pro-veto when it comes to new spending bills. He’s the great libertarian hope, in other words — or he would be, if not for the fact that the other great libertarian hope is probably also running next year. And even if Paul pere ends up passing, Paul fils might well end up taking his place. I wish all three would run, if only because the debates would be enormously entertaining. Who’s the laissez fairest of them all?

More seriously, I’m glad Johnson’s running because I’m curious to see what the high-water mark of libertarianism is in the GOP at a moment when everything seems to be breaking its way. National opposition to gay marriage is gradually softening; our ill-conceived intervention in Libya plus 10 years of war fatigue has made isolationism more viable than it was recently; and of course, fiscal discipline as an antidote to Obamanomics and our crushing national debt has become the party’s core value. If, after decades of gestating in Hollywood, the “Atlas Shrugged” movie can now safely be delivered by the zeitgeist, it must be an omen of something. And yet … it probably isn’t. My guess is that Johnson will be pigeonholed by the media early on as the “weed” candidate and that RINO-y types who might find his moderation on social issues appealing will balk on the assumption that the southern base wouldn’t turn out for him in the numbers needed to beat Obama. I don’t think the party’s turned isolationist either: You’re much, much more likely to hear Republicans complain that Obama’s too weak internationally than that he’s too aggressive, which would also be a knock on a dovish candidate like Johnson. Even so, it’ll be fun having him at the debates clashing with Romney, Palin, and maybe even John Bolton. Good bloggy content, if nothing else.

Two clips here, the first via RCP of this morning’s announcement and the second of an interview he did last year with Matt Welch and Nick Gillespie of Reason.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Who?

xplodeit on April 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Oh please! Go home!

Winebabe on April 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM

He is dead on arrival in the Southeast.

Before he gets there Iowa will stomp on him.

I don’t see this happening for very long.

Brian1972 on April 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

A Libertarian ehh?

mjbrooks3 on April 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I interviewed Johnson last year and found him to be down to Earth, intelligent, engaging and entertaining. Sadly, the fact that he is pro-choice will kill any chance of him getting the nomination, because too many on the right are completely unwilling to yield on this topic in order to regain control of our country.

cannonball on April 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I like him! I would vote for him.

Dollayo on April 21, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Gary Johnson has an impressive resume. I interviewed him for about 20 minutes last year, here are the videos for you to help form your opinions of the man.

cannonball on April 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

cannonball on April 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM
cannonball on April 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Is that you, Gary, or your paid campaign flack?

Emperor Norton on April 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

America’s Most Dangerous Politician
New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson

We could call him “the good president Johnson.”

Rae on April 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Is he from that town in Blazing Saddles?

kingsjester on April 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM

He is dead on arrival in the Southeast.

Before he gets there Iowa will stomp on him.

I don’t see this happening for very long.

Brian1972

Well of course, the southeast also voted for Jimmy Carter over Gerald Ford, and LBJ over Goldwater.

Many of them would prefer a preacher for President over someone who would cut government.

firepilot on April 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM

the other great libertarian hope is probably also running next year.

Good. They’ll divide the lib vote & they’ll both be out of the way in no time.
(I abbreviated libertarian as lib quite intentionally)

itsnotaboutme on April 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM

cannonball on April 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Right. That’s the issue that lost for us in 2008, and would cause us to lose in 2012. /

churchill995 on April 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM

better than Huckabee, Romney, or Huntsman.

besser tot als rot on April 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Good. They’ll divide the lib vote & they’ll both be out of the way in no time.
(I abbreviated libertarian as lib quite intentionally)

itsnotaboutme on April 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I doubt it.

But, who is a little “l” libertarian to you if not Johnson and/or Paul? Or are you quite intentionally saying that libertarians of either “l” are actually liberals (a term usurped and bastardized by the filthy collectivists*)?

*”Misuse of language is the means by which the Marxist cult of Communism has done the most serious injury to intelligence.”
–Isabel Paterson

Rae on April 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I will conclude, however, that no one would advocate for a smaller federal government as long as he’s governor of New Mexico or wanted to be governor of New Mexico.

SukieTawdry on April 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Newly elected Governor Susana Martinez would disagree with you. By all accounts she’s kickin’ bass and takin’ names.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Is he in favor of abortion being settled by the states and is personally pro-choice, or is he pro-choice and will support pro-choice law at the federal level? Those two things are hugely different. The first can win, the second cannot.

cpaulus on April 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Rae on April 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I find it fascinating that so-called RINOs such as McCain (a man who agrees with us 80% of the time) are frequently called liberal here, but someone who is pro-gay-marriage, pro-legalization of marijuana, & pro-choice is supposedly conservative.

itsnotaboutme on April 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Gary Johnson/Rand Paul 2012 (or vice versa) would be nice…

modnar on April 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM

If you want to learn about Gary Johnson, go here.

Gary Johnson is much like Ron Paul. He has zero chances of being elected as President.

Conservative Samizdat on April 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well, he has executive experience and he is pro-Israel.

That is a lot more than Paul right there.

AshleyTKing on April 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

cannonball on April 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Thanks for link.

AshleyTKing on April 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Conservative Samizdat on April 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I disagree. People said the same thing when Marco Rubio announced he was running for senate against the sitting governor, Charlie Crist, in Florida. Unlike Ron Paul, Johnson is a two term governor and doesn’t come across as kook. I sent him some money tonight. I think he has a better chance than you think.

bigbeas on April 22, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Here’s Johnson’s CPAC speech.

School vouchers isn’t a social con issue? Most of that money goes to religious schools.

If social cons think that someone like Mike Huckabee is going to make abortion illegal, they’re wrong. Many states would like to criminalize abortion right now. They can’t because of the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade. Until the Supreme Court changes, the President’s “position” on abortion doesn’t really matter.

bigbeas on April 22, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Good point bigbeas…I’m pro-choice but think Roe is unconstitutional. I think the states should decide for themselves. Let people choose where they want to live and finish this for good. I’m tired of Republicans losing to Communists over this issue.

And to the poster above who thinks Libertarians are liberals, I’m more conservative than you’ll ever be. Don’t hurt your brain thinking too much on that Sparky…..

adamsmith on April 22, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Gary Johnson was our governor. He’s a great guy. I’m glad he’s running- it will be good for the conversation. He’s fearless.

Allahs vulva on April 22, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Wasn’t this guy in Revenge of the Nerds?

yubley on April 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM

bigbeas on April 22, 2011 at 3:14 AM

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

He’s much better than Ron Paul by a long shot but I strongly disagree with his positions. Moreover, he’s a bit out of the mainstream on his positions. I don’t think the electorate will be ready to vote for someone who holds the positions he does.

He’s not kooky like Ron Paul but he’s a little odd for a politician.

Conservative Samizdat on April 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

But there’s already a johnson in the White House.

andycanuck on April 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM

But there’s already a johnson in the White House.

andycanuck on April 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Bravo Sir!!

halfastro on April 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM

People always get mad when I say this, but 30+ years of Safety Management in the workplace has shown me that alcohol abuse and marijauna abuse are both safety hazards and legalizing MJ will just make its abuse more frequent. It takes more time for the memory effects of MJ to wear off than it does for alcohol so a weekend bender will still cause safety hazards on monday. Play something other than brain chemistry for entertainment.

My armor and helmet is ready, fire away.

KW64 on April 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

He’s not kooky like Ron Paul but he’s a little odd for a politician.

Conservative Samizdat

Yeah, and look where our “mainstream” politicians have gotten us. Deep into debt, with one failed policy after another.

firepilot on April 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Conservative Samizdat on April 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Fair enough Samizdat. Johnson’s positions align with mine more than anyone else in the GOP right now (except maybe Rubio and he’s not running), so I’m strongly supporting him.

I feel the same way.

Wasn’t this guy in Revenge of the Nerds?

Hahaha very funny. I can see the resemblance.

legalizing MJ will just make its abuse more frequent.

Do you have any facts to support this? I don’t buy your premise. Like Johnson, I smoked pot when I was younger but have chosen not to for many many years for the reasons you describe. No one is arguing that MJ is good for you, the argument is that people are using MJ anyway and prohibition doesn’t work. No one knows the exact percentages of law enforcement, prisons, and court funding that is dedicated to MJ enforcement; but why not eliminate those expenses and tax MJ? At the same time, you can regulate it. While it might be a little easier for adults to access, it will be more difficult for kids to buy. They will have to show ID to buy it unlike right now they can just buy MJ from one of their classmates. For all their craziness in California, NEW MEXICO, and Massachusetts; they have decriminalized marijuana and they haven’t had a huge rise in MJ use. I think we ought to at least give legalization a chance.

bigbeas on April 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Those most opposed to MJ legalization here, would be the Mexican gangs and criminal enterprises that bring it over here anyways.

MJ was not even illegal for most of US history anyways, it was made illegal around the 1920s (or 30s) when the people, including Feds, claimed MJ will make black and hispanics rape white women

Obviously drug policy has been a failure, time to try something new.

firepilot on April 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM