Oh my: Trump phones Krauthammer — and convinces him that he’s running

posted at 8:31 pm on April 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, if you’re not sure why this warrants an “oh my,” kindly read this post first. We’ve reached the point of Trump saturation, I think, where there’s temporarily not much left to say. Liberals hate him for his Birtherism and want to believe he’s some sort of Biblical plague visited upon Republicans to punish them for the sins of their fringe. Prominent conservatives hate him because his record is, shall we say, spotty and because he’s sucking up media oxygen from more viable candidates. And precisely because the left and those darned establishment RINOs hate him, the base … doesn’t love him, exactly, but is at least willing to reserve judgment for the time being. Which means it’s going to take something drastic — something utterly horrifying to grassroots conservatives — to shake them awake and convince them that this is a guy they could never, ever support.

My friends, I think that moment has arrived:

Donald: I love your attitude. And I’ve seen your attitude, and that’s why I’m doing this interview.

Meghan: If you run for president, will you hire me for your campaign?

Donald: I like the idea! I love it! Will you do me a favor? See how I do, and you call me at the right time. I’m serious about it…

Meghan: I think you need to go to New Hampshire and should go to every single town hall and convince the people of New Hampshire that you’re the best candidate. But life on the road isn’t easy. Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn?

Donald: I wasn’t always rich. I used to stay at Holiday Inns all the time! Did you see Good Morning America today and the Today show?

Meghan: I didn’t like George Stephanopoulos’ questions.

Joking aside, there’s actually a (kinda sorta) newsy bit in that interview — namely, Trump laying into Romney as someone who “doesn’t resonate” and whose speeches are composed of “little trivial statements.” Just this morning, David Corn at Mother Jones wondered whether Candidate Trump won’t end up being a huge headache for Romney by stealing his crown as the businessman in the field. True enough, but it’ll be doubly potent if Trump starts lashing rhetorically at Romney too. If nothing else, the guy has a keen instinct for pleasing the base by throwing roundhouses at its enemies. Thanks to RomneyCare, his “establishment” pedigree, and his de facto frontrunner status, Romney’s momentarily their enemy too. (Needless to say, though, they’ll turn on a dime, as they did with McCain, if Mitt becomes the nominee and takes on The One.) The rest of the field had a lot of fun bashing him three years ago; Trump will have fun too, for as long as he lasts in the race.

Exit question: If Trump is a liability for Romney, is he an asset for Palin? Have a look at this fascinating table of media share per candidate compiled by Nate Silver. Palin’s dropped off the grid somewhat over the past three months, leaving a vacuum in the all-important “dynamic celebrity conservative populists whom the press loathes” category. With Trump’s eruption on the scene, that vacuum has been filled (with a vengeance). But it’s not just the press: Trump’s appearance at a GOP fundraiser in Iowa two months from now looks set to shatter the attendance record set by Palin last year. Her campaign strategy, I’ve always assumed, is to jump into the race late-ish and completely dominate the media coverage, rendering people like Pawlenty and Gingrich (and maybe even Romney) afterthoughts. She won’t dominate that coverage with Trump in the field, though, and since they’re both hated by the establishment and supported by the grassroots, they’re going to be competing to some extent for the same niche. So to repeat: Is he an asset or liability for Sarahcuda?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Do you not find it valuable to fight Obama on his philosophy, his incompetence, his performance as President at all?

Brian1972 on April 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM

What the hell do you think Trump is doing? And he has had more effect in the last week than that hollering on the radio levin has had in the last two years.

Heckle on April 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Get off the internet, ya big dummy!

slickwillie2001 on April 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

LMAO!!

Well Done!

Tim_CA on April 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Get off the internet, ya big dummy!

slickwillie2001 on April 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

LMAO!!

Well Done!

Tim_CA on April 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

And so original too.

Heckle on April 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Get off the internet, ya big dummy!

slickwillie2001 on April 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

LMAO!!

Well Done!

Tim_CA on April 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM
And so original too.

Heckle on April 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Damn Heckle…did Levin steal your dog or something??

Tim_CA on April 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Heckle on April 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Bullsh!t.

Did you sleep through November 2010?

Levin played a big role in endorsing candidates in the primaries and helping them get their message out to the conservatives across the country.

He made a difference, as did Sarah Palin.

Speaking of that, where has your Hero Trump been for the last two years?

Oh, that’s right. He was donating thousands of dollars to the campaigns of Chucky Schumer, Anthony Wiener, and the DSCC.
Big help that was.

No real conservative gives money to these people and organizations, ever.

He is a fraud, and you are falling for it hook line and sinker.

Brian1972 on April 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I thought about this; and I think it on balance helps Sarah given these factors:

1. Trump is running (no doubt about that); and he will likely announce next month. Palin will not announce until the fall. Trump will likely not be as newsworthy at that point.

2. I have watched Trump statements about other potential GOP candidates; and he has only been positive about two: Palin & Huckabee. Trump absolutely HATES Romney, and is also very negative towards Pawlenty and Gingrich. Given his propensity to hit adversaries hard and get a lot of media play doing it, I suspect he will signficantly weaken all those three candidates over the summer.

3. While they might overlap some support, Trump and Palin a have diffent sources of base support. I think Trump takes more votes from Romney than anyone else.

We might actually end up in a scenario where the nomination is a contest between Trump and Palin.

Norwegian on April 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Speaking of that, where has your Hero Trump been for the last two years?

Big help that was.

No real conservative gives money to these people and organizations, ever.

He is a fraud, and you are falling for it hook line and sinker.

Brian1972 on April 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Dude…yer gonna blow an artery….relax and read. There are a lot of smart people here (except for me). Do you see a whole lot of stress about Trump? Mostly puzzled amusement right?

Granted, as Splash mentioned, the MSM will want to run with this…and Trump is playing it perfectly…but let’s give it a couple of months….?

Tim_CA on April 22, 2011 at 12:05 AM

I think certain posters are embarrassed by it so they’d rather it go down the memory hole. Too bad. I must’ve struck a nerve.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM

dream on….people are starting to wise up to what has been going on.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM

He is a fraud, and you are falling for it hook line and sinker.

Brian1972 on April 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

As I said before, he is the ONLY man on the field, except for maybe Sarah Palin.

Heckle on April 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Buy Danish on April 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM

check in if you want. I’ll wait till the next Palin thread when you start using those talking points to call you out on them…you might want to double check which antipalin memes ar eleftwing and which rightwing to get your ducks in a row.

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Heckle on April 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Palin’s not a man she just plays one on TV

unseen on April 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Tim_CA on April 22, 2011 at 12:05 AM

I’m just telling the truth, since we have had a Trumpster here that only seems to care about that certificate, and not much else.

There is so much more than that to consider.

I am simply reminding anyone here that Trump isn’t the real deal conservative, just because he’s demanding to see a birth certificate.

It is mostly this Heckle who has been needing a lesson here.

Mark Levin is an enemy of the Constitution and an Obama collaborator? C’mon, I had to hit that one.

Brian1972 on April 22, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Heckle on April 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I am behind Sarah Palin, that’s who I want.

I have been asking, while you say he is the only man, is he a real conservative? No he is not. There is nothing supporting that. I want a real conservative, like Sarah Palin, to lead the charge. I think as time passes, it will end up being her that does it.

There is much more to this than the certificate.

Brian1972 on April 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM

For right now, I can’t help but think Trump is serving an important role.Let him whack away. There are very few who can call the o out and be covered in the lamestream media. We Have a primary. It will be sorted out then.

conmo on April 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Trump is in it for Trump. The book,”Where’s The Birth Certificate?’, comes out May 17, it’s already selling big in pre-release, so the birth issue is going to eat up May and into June. When the air has been let out of the birth issue I believe Palin will announce, but not before.

bigmike on April 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Last poll I saw among Republicans has Trump at 26% and Palin at 8%. I doubt she will ‘announce’.

Heckle on April 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Just caught Trump on Greta: wow, did he light into ROVE! Go get ‘em, Donald!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 22, 2011 at 1:13 AM

- Analpundti

LOL! That characterization is accurate, but misattributed- this is actually how the GOP feels about the Birthers. I’m really shocked at how so many on the Right have gone after The Donald. There is something very irrational and hysterical in their response. It reminds me of how the Left has gone after Palin. I still don’t take Trump seriously as a candidate, but that can change as I take him much more seriously now than I did when he appeared at CPAC months ago. And the way he has remained resolute in the face of such attacks from both Left and Right has only further endeared him to me.

sartana on April 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM

He’s a liability for Palin. He splits the idiot vote pretty nearly. Specifically, polls show that people who say things like “Palin and Bachmann are the only candidates with balls” prefer Trump to Palin 4:3.

I apologize. Palin, at least, was a conservative before someone told her she should run for president a month ago.

HitNRun on April 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Just caught Trump on Greta: wow, did he light into ROVE! Go get ‘em, Donald!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 22, 2011 at 1:13 AM

I saw that. And it was so refreshing to hear him and Alan West plainly and truthfully talk about Obama’s incompetence and lies and the seriousness of what we are living through. In clear and simple language. Without an ounce of fear.

I’m sure Sarah is happy to have more join her in this. The more the merrier. Plus, I think they went even further than she would have gone.

I pray one of these bold ones wins in 2012. Because I do think Romney will lose the general election and he will make me sick that entire year. As will some of the others.

Electablity is important. But don’t be fooled into thinking that who the media calls a clown or dummy today can’t win or that the ones they are quiet about now won’t be trashed by the media once the general election comes.

Better a bold candidate that has been vetted already and has the experience of being a target.

Remember how they all turned on their darling McCain once he got the nomination?

Whoever we pick will be considered a joke and/or evil by the media.

We can’t let them pick our candidate because we are too afraid of what the independents will think.

Independents hate Obama now and want a clear and bold message. And a reversal of the damage Obama has done.

Elisa on April 22, 2011 at 1:56 AM

My bet is the RINOs will go with the dem before they go with the conservative but that’s just a guess. -unseen on April 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Yes, exactly. See Delaware. A lot of RINO nastiness was on display in Nevada when the GOP old guard of Reno took out the knives and sided with Reid over Angle and actively campaigned for her defeat. Just google the name Sig Rogich. I can’t believe this hasn’t been reported on and that the traitor Rogich and others in the Nevada GOP haven’t been made infamous- it’s as if people think they can just wish it away. But I think 2012 might be more of a contest between the Tea Party Right and the old guard GOP than it will be a referendum on Obama. Sadly, it could become that.

sartana on April 22, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Is he an asset or liability for Sarahcuda?

Liability. Both are opportunists. Trump is just more transparent.

AshleyTKing on April 22, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Some people upthread were asserting that the candidacy of Donald Trump jeopardizes the future of Conservatism in America. Really. Dear God, pull your head out of it and calm down. I can’t believe so many are losing it over the appearance of The Donald. The people going after Trump are betraying their true opinion of the average American voter. If Trump is not a serious candidate, then Republican primary voters will reject him. As far as being a Spoiler Perot in the General Election- Ross Perot was Ross Perot because George HW Bush was George HW Bush. If the GOP wants to avoid a spoiler, then don’t nominate another HW Bush!

And to describe Trump as “megalomaniacal” is just ridiculous. He comes across as sane and well-balanced and very American very healthy ego. Self-confidence such as he displays is very attractive and inspiring. There is a reason he is who he is and makes such a splash wherever he goes. He’s a winner.

sartana on April 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Even Bachmann knows this is a joke and she is certainly not a moderate.

Terrye on April 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM

You apparently mistake me for someone who thinks Trump is a conservative. I said we want a conservative. Trump is not. He is a shameless twice-bankrupt mercantilist who has abused eminent domain multiple times, and engaged in graft at least once, that I know of.

I think you and I are on the same page here.

gryphon202 on April 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM

terrye…ya don’t need to want him as Pres. to like what he’s doing at this point in time.

Does that help?

Tim_CA on April 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Yes. Never confuse enjoying the circus with actually wanting to vote for the ringleader. It’s early and it’s fun to see which of his many scattershots will actually hit something.

If the man wants to run, he’s going to run. Until then, there’s not much anyone can do. It’s not like disapproval or being told he’s a moron is going to deter him.

So until then enjoy the show and once it’s time to do something – like fighting him in the primaries or as a third party candidate then so be it.

kim roy on April 22, 2011 at 2:43 AM

E! had the True Hollywood Story about Sarah Palin on tonite. It was actually a balanced biography of her. I was surprised.

karenhasfreedom on April 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Write to the Speaker and Republican Leadership and remind them that if they’d followed the mandate we gave them in the midterms, no one would be paying any attention to Mr. Trump.

-Tim_CA on April 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Bingo! You’d think it wouldn’t be so hard to understand. But they don’t get it. And if they haven’t gotten it by now they probably won’t while there’s still time to act on it. The Right’s response to Trump is very revealing. I feel much worse about our chances in 2012 than I did a few weeks ago.

sartana on April 22, 2011 at 3:20 AM

I just listened to Trump on Greta tonite. He gave a very compelling interview. It is giving me flashbacks to when Arnold was sounding reasonable after the disaster of Grey Davis as governor of CA. Arnold turned into a huge disappointment and his true progressive liberalism came to the surface and he accelerated the ruin of that state.

Trump, we KNOW he is a Dem in his heart. I am just now picking up on his disdain for Obama is so huge that he is jumping in. I don’t see him doing this without blowing up somehow.

The major question is, IF he survives the primary process and ends up the nominee, WILL he stay on the fiscal issues ONLY and stay focused on JOBS, or will he end up making a bigger mess of things? AND how will he deal with the pansies in Congress on either side of the aisle?

karenhasfreedom on April 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM

People with something to hide

Heckle on April 22, 2011 at 5:07 AM

Trump is a kamikaze candidate. I plan to watch from a safe distance, wait for the detonation, then reassess whichever candidates remain.

OhioCoastie on April 22, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Just a few months ago I read an article about some investors that were, according to them, bilked out of millions by Trump (this was before this Presidency thing came about).

Why am I mentioning this?

As to the comparison Trump in regard to his financial wealth vs. Romney, Trump comes across as another arrogant, sleazy, dirty-dealing, immoral, business guy having no conscience that screwed the little man; Whereas Romney comes across as honest, humble, compassionate, smart, and conscience of all around.”

That is a test Trump with fail every time.

That being said, I still won’t vote for either one.

Virginia Shanahan on April 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I can’t believe that anyone sees Romney that way. It’s like we’re talking about two different people. Romney always struck me as the smug, smooth talking, two faced manager who tells you that you’re irreplaceable and doing a great job the day before he lays you off.

ElectricPhase on April 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM

He would be almost as big a mistake as Obama.
He has absolutely no credibility.

Right on, Brother! What has Trump ever accomplished compared to Obama?
Trump is so lame, he probably even writes his own books. /s

Hoof Hearted on April 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM

since they’re both hated by the establishment and supported by the grassroots

It’s amazing how the people who are supposed to analyze what is happening really have no idea what is really going on. It’s just not allah,other liberal commentators and conservatives as well, all part of the self annointed elite, think it’s about the birth certificate and believe that the unwashed conservative rabble actually look at trump as a legitimate candidate. trump is popular right now because he is speaking his mind and getting on the lefts nerves. For the most part what people are hearing are the sound bites and his total lack of fear when confronted by media trash is awesome. When the focus starts really bearing in and people start listening to entire interviews and start comparing him side by side with credible candidates he will fade. Most people haven’t seen that meghan mccain thing and that alone could blow him out of the polls. If trump actually gets in the race come primary time he will probably not last 5 primaries because first and foremost he is a businessman and will not be up for throwing away money on a fantasy. The self annointed elites belief that conservatives really view trump as a credible president is just more proof of how the disdain us and believe we are stupid.

peacenprosperity on April 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

O4P Confirms that Peter Singleton is the O4P Iowa state coordinator:

Proud of Organize4Palin’s Iowa Coordinator► RT @wsjfree:
Iowan peeps or anyone who wants to contact for O4P purposes can directly contact him at: iowa@organize4palin.com

Iowan peeps can also get on his mailing list by subscribing to Organize4Palin and listing Iowa as your state on your profile: http://tinyurl.com/33r7fg8

oldyeller on April 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

@ElectricPhase

Totally.. Romney is a politician through and through

johnnyboy on April 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM

So to repeat: Is he an asset or liability for Sarahcuda?

OK, both–he’s sucking up the oxygen, to be sure–loud celebrities do that. That won’t help Palin.

But I think he’s a big asset to her in this sense: for the lower-information voter, he can’t but help to make her look more responsible and grown-up. [For the record, I think she is a pretty savvy and serious individual, but that's a minority view, as the polls continue to show.]

Trump = instant gravitas for Palin. He’s the perfect foil.

DRPrice on April 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Trump’s appeal is not any more complicated than this.

labrat on April 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I cant say I hate Trump because I dont. I dont, however, trust him. But, if it comes down to Trump and Obama in 12, I’ll certainly go with Trump.

abcurtis on April 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Is it possible that Trump is doing more damage to conservatives than he is to Obama? I’m not saying this is intentional. His birther stuff probably does more to hurt us than it does Obama. His attacks on GOP candidates certainly hurt us.

hawksruleva on April 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM

In 2012, when it’s Obama vs. X, I’ll go with X. The real issue is, would Trump run as an independent? That would reallllly be a problem.

hawksruleva on April 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Why am I mentioning this?

Virginia Shanahan on April 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM

ummmmm….maybe because you find unsubstantiated rumors more compelling than facts?
And because you obviously love Romney and have overlooked his “sleazy” business habits…fact: Bechtel, one of his most ardent supporters, when found to be guilty of negligence and the death of a woman was fined several thousand dollars and reprimanded them (for the death of a woman, a reprimand), a good (but weak) moral thing to do…except a few months later he gave them a multi-million dollar contract. He reeks of cronyism…

right2bright on April 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM

The last election proved, beyond doubt, that the “it” factor has more weight and bearing than experience, intellect, leadership, etc.
Trump has the “it” factor, Obama has the “it” factor, which one has their “it” together?
Palin has an “it” factor, but not to the independents…and the independents are the ones who will decide the election. That is who trump appeals to, no if he can convince the conservatives that he is real, than game over.
If trump is the candidate than he will choose a minority to be his VP…it would be trump to lose.
One of the big reasons, and it is so simple, he badgers the press. The press are the least respected of all occupations, and he has found that he can bash them and the people love it.
Why the other candidates haven’t caught on (Republican candidates) I don’t get it.

right2bright on April 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM

“Oh, my” – who cares?

disa on April 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

The
Perfect
Stalking
Horse.

Thanks, Mr. Trump.

hillbillyjim on April 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Re Trump on Greta talking about Rove, -we really should be open to questions about Rove’s role in the administration of President George W. Bush. The pop-narrative is that Rove was the brain and the president was the puppet, but that gives perhaps too much credit to Rove. How many of the president’s problems were because of Rove, and not in spite of him?

slickwillie2001 on April 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM

As an aside, I believe Mr. Romney would be a decent president, but this critical time in our history needs more than decent.

We need a miracle to get us out of our ungodly unprecedented debt and to lead us back toward sanity.

hillbillyjim on April 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM

because he’s sucking up media oxygen from more viable candidates, -AP.

Gallup shows Trump tied with Huckabee among GOP primary voters

Cognitive dissonance.

Akzed on April 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM

ElectricPhase on April 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Who even knows Romney well enough to know what he is like. He has been absent, and no one is vetting him like they have Palin.

wi farmgirl on April 24, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Palin/Trump 12′

I would love to watch liberals turn red at the sight of that bumper sticker on my….well…on everything i own.

alecj on April 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM