NYT poll: 47% of Republicans think Obama was born in another country

posted at 4:18 pm on April 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

Embarrassing, especially since the question wasn’t confined to the usual narrow issue of birth-certificate minutiae. Respondents were asked, very broadly, “Was President Obama born in the U.S.?” I would have guessed that most Birthers would answer “don’t know” since that’s the crux of the issue, after all. Because The One won’t release his long-form, supposedly we’re left to wonder whether that official state Certification of Live Birth can really be trusted. In fact, that’s Trump’s position: He told “The View” a few weeks ago that he thinks Obama “was probably born in Hawaii” but that he just needs a litttttttle more convincing. As it turns out, though, only a small minority of Republicans polled chose the “don’t know” option whereas a near majority opted for a clear “nope.” What gives?

A plurality of Republican voters, 47 percent, said they believed Mr. Obama, who was born in Hawaii, was born in another country; 22 percent said they did not know where he was born, and 32 percent said they believed he was born in the United States.

While that might indicate that there is a receptive audience for the real estate mogul Donald J. Trump as he raises questions about Mr. Obama’s citizenship, the poll also pointed to potential roadblocks for him should he pursue a formal candidacy.

Mr. Trump has been getting considerable attention as a possibly strong contender, but just about as many Republicans view him favorably as view him unfavorably — 35 percent favorably and 32 percent unfavorably— and nearly 60 percent of Republicans interviewed said they did not believe he was a serious candidate. (Far more of all voters view him unfavorably — 46 percent — than view him favorably, 25 percent.)

These “surprisingly high percentage of conservatives believe XYZ about Obama” polls pop up sporadically, but I don’t think I’ve seen one yet that tries seriously to separate the various subsets of opinion that form that result. For instance, on the question of whether he was born in the U.S., you’ve likely got a bunch of different groups coming together in the “no” column. First, of course, there are the hardcore Birthers who are convinced that he was born in Kenya and that we’re all the victims of a horrible ruse. Then you’ve got the softcore Birthers like Trump who aren’t sure where he was born but have enough doubts over the birth certificate that they’re willing to say “no” when asked if he was born here. Then you’ve got the people who don’t follow politics generally or the Birther issue specifically but have picked up enough tidbits of Obama’s biography along the way to draw the conclusion that he was born elsewhere. They know his dad was from Kenya, they knew he grew up in Indonesia, so they conclude that he probably didn’t arrive in the U.S. until later. Remember when Huckabee misspoke and confused those two countries when referencing Obama’s bio?

Finally, you’ve got garden-variety low-information voters/idiots who not only don’t know where Obama was born, they may not even know that a natural-born requirement exists in the Constitution. According to another recent poll, only 49 percent of Republicans and 33 percent of Democrats(!) are aware that the GOP now controls the House. If not even half the party knows that, it’s no stretch to think that some chunk hasn’t a clue about the controversy over The One’s origins and is deducing the “answer” from the pollster’s interest in posing the question. (I.e. “If they’re going to the trouble of asking me where Obama was born, the answer probably can’t be as simple as ‘the U.S.’”) I don’t know what the relative percentages are for all these subgroups — it may well be that hardcore Birthers are a heavy majority and low-information idiots a tiny sliver — but it’d be worth finding out before drawing grand lessons about what the base believes. As it is, I recommend re-reading this post by Greenroomer Karl from last August, when yet another poll about Birtherism had hands a-wringing. Is Obama a natural-born citizen — or is he a werewolf?

Via Politico, here’s Trump expressing annoyance about being quizzed on Birtherism after having spent a month almost singlehandedly mainstreaming it. Exit quotation from a man who now says he only wants to talk about the real issues: “We’re looking into it very, very strongly. At a certain point in time I’ll be revealing some interesting things.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

B. There’s nothing damning on it, but the deprivation is eliciting the kind of reaction he can use politically.

MadisonConservative on April 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Calling hos own legitimacy into question seems like a Charlie Sheen form of winning. He is going down in the polls and that would suggest he isn’t getting the boost he was hoping for.

It would also mean that Hillary Clinton was helping him with this conspiracy in 2007 when she was in the middle of a bitter primary fight with him and that seems kinda silly.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Two score and ten years ago his mother brought forth on some continent, a new Marxist, conceived in arrogance, delivered in secrecy, and dedicated to the proposition that all men shall be rendered equal.

Joe Mama on April 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

It’s not republicans who look stupid, it’s every person who buys into his fraud. It’s people on the right who, yet again, let the MSM form their opinion on what’s “embarassing”, it’s the 52% who voted for this disaster, and it’s all the tools who think that the Indonesian Idiot’s refusal and investment in keeping his long form birth certificate is somehow normal.

Haunches on April 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Because he doesn’t have to. End of story. He can simply thumb his nose at all of you and laugh as you prove to everyone that you’ll chase any dumb idea so long as it involves putting the president in a negative light. Its just like Bush Derangement Syndrome.

ernesto on April 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Even if you are right, you won’t like the result. In Politics, it doesn’t matter what the truth is. It only matters what people THINK the truth is. Laughter rocks the highest throne, and laughter is going to bring your guy down.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Given the disastrous and irrational policies he supports, I think Obama was born in a different universe.

JohnJ on April 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Please, liberal trolls, tell me what good reason is there NOT to release a long form birth certificate and your college records. There’s only one cable news network that will actually cover anything negative in them, so what’s the harm?

PastorJon on April 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Getting a good fraction of your opponents to work themselves into a noisy frenzy and then at last releasing the records showing how ridiculous they were might be a good reason.

DarkCurrent on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The Dingbat Messiah was born in a manger.

Really Right on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The GOP: The “adult” party.

ernesto on April 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

That’s comedy gold coming from you and your ilk. You people are ruining this country with your childish coveting of other peoples wealth and pinning the have nots against the haves. You scum should be ashamed of yourselves for what you have done to the unity of this great country with your marxist, redistributive claptrap.

jawkneemusic on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

“Embarrassing”?!
Poll mission accomplished…
The Bither issue exists because POTUS and his economic policies are a dud…
$2 gas and 5% unemployment and this issue does not exist…

So screw the ruling class, I’m a Birther for the pure fun of it all…

mjbrooks3 on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I think they hid all this because the American people would find a person with NO CORE VALUES OR EVEN PERSONALITY WHATSOEVER to be unacceptable as POTUS.
ginaswo on April 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Good point. Yet, we still elected him.

Obama Values = Change
McCain Values = I’ll do my own thing.

Obama Personality = Hyped positive
McCain Personality = Not much. Mostly Angry.

Who is the generally uniformed public going to vote for?

Lawrence on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

None of these questions can be raised about any other US president, let alone all of them

Raising questions – like some of the ones you did – is fine.

But almost half of those polled said flatout that they believed he wasn’t born here.

Having some doubts or asking a few questions is much different.

SteveMG on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

DarkCurrent on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, frat boy tricks will really go over well with the voting public.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Notice that the article doesn’t mention how Democrats and independents poll on this question.

I want to know that, and I want to know what Obama’s hiding in that long form.

BuckeyeSam on April 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

You’re friends and family won’t mind. They are probably used to it by now.

Nice cowardly comment from behind the safety of a keyboard.

Trash.

SteveMG on April 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You apologized for inferring i’m a moron. I apologize for My smart ass comment.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I disagree with Obama on almost everything, but I can tell you from personal experience that when you request your own birth certificate from Hawaii, what you get looks exactly like the one his campaign produed.

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM
It does NOW.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I have a copy from the early ’80s (1981 postmark on the envelope) that has more information. But when I last requested one in 2002 — well before anyone had heard of Obama — it was the type that looks like Obama’s.

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, frat boy tricks will really go over well with the voting public.

He doesn’t have one he wants anyone to see. Even if he produced it now most people would think it was a fake since he took so long to come up with it and spent so much money keeping it hidden.

Haunches on April 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

JohnJ on April 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

“Smartest person, ever” with the thinnest skin to boot.

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Joe Mama on April 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Ooohhh… That’s good. I’m saving that to a text file.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

The Dingbat Messiah was born in a manger.

Really Right on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Heh…and he’s hoping to be born again, in 2012. Ain’t goin’ so good.

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

jawkneemusic on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Hold on now, the demorats did bring a dude in an animal costume to a presser to bemoan possible cuts to PBS. Isn’t that adult enough for you?

Bishop on April 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Yeah, frat boy tricks will really go over well with the voting public.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

The voting public are mostly idiots.

Exhibit 1: President Barrack Obama.

DarkCurrent on April 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

This is what one looks like…

This is what he presented…

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I guess the birthers and birther-curious are not comprised just a handful of kooks on the fringe like Ed and Allah would like you to believe.

txsurveyor on April 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Don’t forget to add in the dimwits here at HA who chant (in lockstep unison) “ooooh, that’s what Osama Obama wants! We can defeat him so many ways that it’s delusional to question his birth certificate, his school records, his old passports, his Social Security number, his associations with terrorists and criminals, his….”

The Traitor-in-Chief has too many on the Right (from Ed to his followers to the “reasonable” tea-sipping surrender monkeys at National Review) totally bamboozled. And hoodwinked.

Who needs the abject butt-kissers in the MBM if you have a bunch of spineless, concerned-about-appearances tools in the so-called opposition who will let the Most Notorious Liar in America © off the hook because they’re scared spitless of looking racist or confrontational?

MrScribbler on April 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Who is the generally uniformed public going to vote for?

Lawrence on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

For whoever promises them the most.

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Maybe it is just wishful thinking…

… Anyone who has done so much damage to the United States in such a short period of time, couldn’t have possibly have been born here.

Seven Percent Solution on April 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I’m not afraid to dream! Although I think it’s more likely it’ll show that his parents weren’t who he said they were or that they were Muslim- something harmless, but embarrassing. I’m much more interested in the college grades- academic proof that Barry is a bonafide dumba$$.

anniekc on April 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Embarrassing

Really? This coming from the guy that shamelessly stirs the pot?

MeatHeadinCA on April 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

DarkCurrent on April 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

And then we ask why he let Lt. Col Larkin go to prison instead of releasing the d@mned thing a year ago? We ask why he allowed the legislatures of 12 states to waste time debating laws forcing him to do this?

We ask why he thought it was a good idea to allow himself to become a laughingstock across the world?

Somehow I don’t see that result working out in his favor either.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Because he doesn’t have to.
ernesto on April 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

At least you recycle.

Again about that nagging question MM….

CWforFreedom on April 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

This is what one looks like…

This is what he presented…

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yes, exactly. I got the kind with the doctors name and the hospital and all that when requested decades ago. But then when I requested another copy in 2002, I got the less informative kind. That doesn’t imply anything sinister — just that Hawaii (and I think a lot of other states) are more restricted now in what they will release.

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

When this issue came up during the campaign, I figured the truth would eventually come out, probably after I’m dead and gone.

It looks like it may happen sooner than that.

The birthers will be vindicated.

txsurveyor on April 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

You apologized for inferring i’m a moron. I apologize for My smart ass comment.

Nowhere in my post did I ever mention your name or pseudonymn. Or your beliefs. Or anyone else by name. Or anyone’s family.

And right after I used the word “moron” in my post I retracted it, apologized and said they were “ill-informed”.

You’re the one mentioning people’s family and friends.

SteveMG on April 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I don’t care where the hell he was born. I just wanna’ retire him back to Chi-town ASAP…

OmahaConservative on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

You could still get a copy of the original up until a month ago. I’ve read comments from several people that requested their birth certificates from Hawaii saying that they just stopped allowing copies of the original in march.

This is a bureaucrat decision, and it is in contravention with Hawaiian law which says they shall issue a copy upon request.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

BS, they just renamed it ‘genealogical record’.

Besides Obama already has his birth certificate according to his own book, so why won’t he let us see the thing?

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I always tell my kids that 99.9% of the people in this country are stupid and ignorant. Just watch Jay Leno’s Jaywalking for examples.

They just can’t tear themselves away from their reality shows to pay attention to anything that matters.

Common Sense on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Does that law also apply to the new ‘genealogical record’ as well?

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Why should the Doctor and Hospital be a secret? Are they having a paper and ink shortage or something?

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Isn’t it ironic that Obama suggests that doctors should share OUR medical information on Facebook, but he won’t even show his birth certificate.

fossten on April 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Perception is reality.
Truly, I don’t care where he was born. I only care that he consider spending the rest of miserable existence in another country; maybe one of those Muslim sh*tholes of which he thinks so highly.

SKYFOX on April 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Allahpundit:

Please address the arguments that can be made regarding both parents needing to be citizens and a child having the citizenship of his father not being a natural born citizen.

These are arguments that have far greater credibility, but they are completely ignored by everyone, everyone!

Vatican Watcher on April 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Common Sense on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Hmmmm… a rather large percentage. Are your children offended?

MeatHeadinCA on April 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

of miserable = of his miserable
(preview is my friend)

SKYFOX on April 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

You’re the one mentioning people’s family and friends.

SteveMG on April 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

You said (and I paraphrase) “that anyone believing barack was born out of the country was a moron, but I shouldn’t insult morons.”

I suspect he was born in Vancouver Canada. (Stanley Ann was attending Class at University of Washington two weeks after he was born. A friend places her on Mercer Island two weeks BEFORE he was born (according to blogger “Lame Cherry.”), Why would she want to pay for an American Hospital stay when she could get a Canadian one for free?)

When I started typing my snark your apology wasn’t visible. After I posted it your apology ended up being just in front of my post. Too late to retract.

My advice to you: Don’t get worked up about personal insults. This is the internet. Personal insults are SOP and meaningless.

“It’s not what people call you, it’s what you answer to.”

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Common Sense on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Reminds me of a picture I saw a few months ago. It was of a chalk board in a Marine office in Iraq. It said:

“America is NOT at war. The Marine corps is at war. America is at the mall. “

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

acasilaco on April 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I believe you, but if you had specifically requested the long form you could of got it. It was only very recently that Hawaii changed their laws (probably to CYA their lies) and even then some people believe that the LFBC is still available.
This Hawaiian long form was obtained in March 2011.

mrsmwp on April 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Does that law also apply to the new ‘genealogical record’ as well?

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

The “genealogical record” designation is probably how they maintain compliance with the law, and also how they hope to keep people from finding out that they must release a copy.

If you want the statute number, I posted it over in this thread several times.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

So the long form argument is that it makes Barry look good by making his opponents look bad? It’s such a trivial point, is that it? We should stick to the important things?

The Trump starts asking birth questions again and won’t be shut up cause he knows how phony LSM is and just doesn’t scare. “Unexpectedly” Barrys ratings fall. Of course it could be “the war” that has disappeared but LSM just keeps getting Trump to continue his “losing” tactic. The country will surely see the wisdom of LSM, eventually.

Small problem. We see how Trump gets loads of free press without the downside. Indeed, he is elevated to GOP frontrunner, well in some polls.

Just in time, Jerome Corsi starts his tour. #1 on Amazon with weeks to go. Gee, there are more crazies than polls had estimated, ya’ think? After all George Noory interviewed Corsi on Coast to Coast.

This tiny pin prick of inconsistency, thoroughly covered by the most complicit press evah, is back. Buried by lawyers with papers and money won’t go away.

Good! I HOPE it kills Barry’s campaign.

Caststeel on April 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

fossten on April 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

He’s a barrel of laughs! :)

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Soetoro dodged a bullet in Arizona, but Louisiana will be bringing their enhanced eligibility bill – requiring a long form birth certificate – up on Monday, and Jindal said he will sign it.

The jig is up for Mr. Barry Soetoro.

Rebar on April 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

If you want the statute number, I posted it over in this thread several times.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Thanks. I guess its just more lame attempts to cover for the boy-king.

This Hawaiian long form was obtained in March 2011.

mrsmwp on April 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I guess it is available.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I still wanna see his grades from Larry Tribe’s class at Harvard Law.

As HLS’s own rag reported a couple of years ago, Tribe said O’bama was “the best student he ever had”, even though Leaping Larry had already said the same thing about another one of his students.

When President Barack Obama ’91 was at Harvard Law School, Professor Laurence Tribe ’66 was his mentor. Declaring him his best student (a term he only ever also used to describe former Stanford Law Dean Kathleen Sullivan ’81), Tribe was one of the closest, if not the closest professor to the budding Barack.

Del Dolemonte on April 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Gotta go folks. I’ll check back later.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

PastorJon on April 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM
Or, maybe you don’t have the original birth certificate anymore, and your state will only give you a certificate of live birth. Maybe it takes millions of dollars to hire a law firm to deal with you legal issues, one of which is fending off law suits that try to force you to do something you can’t.

The rest? Good question, but mostly unrelated.

Count to 10 on April 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Then Hawaii could say “The long form is lost . . “.

PastorJon on April 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

The rest? Good question, but mostly unrelated.

Count to 10 on April 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

You know, I’ve seen some good arguments on this subject from both sides, but that one is just weak.

fossten on April 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM

a near majority opted for a clear “nope.” What gives?

More likely than not this is a “tweak” response from most (not all) folks.

It accomplishes three things:

1. It keeps the meme alive.
2. It reinforces the idea that “he’s not one of us”.
3. It demonstrates he can’t answer a simple “yes – no” question without parsing.

All good stuff; add in the “media tweak” factor and what’s not to like?

Who gives a rat’s ass what the MSM thinks, anyway?

(Also, it’s revenge for the “Bush lied” meme.)

Bruno Strozek on April 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Short form. Good on Trump. Keep LSM picking at this “losing controversy”.

I HOPE this ruins Barry’s re-election.

Caststeel on April 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

And after Barry becomes a won term wonder, we can return to CHANGEing the Repubs to Conservative.

Caststeel on April 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Believe it or not, there are people out there who don’t have birth certificates, or whose birth certificates are created after the fact. Not everyone is born in a hospital. I am not a young woman and the hospital I was born in burned down a long time ago, and that was where my original birth certificate was.

I think Obama was born in Hawaii. His mother was an American citizen and she knew obviously that she was going to have a child. I would be very surprised if she did not make an attempt to have her child in a nice American hospital than in some third world country where she might have few if any rights over that child.

I think Obama uses this issue and even if he could settle it today, he would choose not too. He likes watching other people make fools of themselves, especially when those other people are on the other side.

Terrye on April 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hey, I just had an idea. We need to start a petition to help Obama.

Dear Hawaiian Department of Health:

Please allow the release Obama’s original long-form Hawaiian birth certificate. We know Obama wants to show it so that he can put this silly “birther” nonsense to rest. It is very unfair that you are refusing to give our Dear President the proof he needs to declare victory over his detractors.

A Concerned Citizen

mrsmwp on April 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

A while ago I read at, I believe, a birther debunk site an account from a woman who said that arrangements had been made for her to see Obama’s COLB. She was some kind of government official and it was being done for the express purpose of putting the issue to rest.

She said Hawaiian law prohibits access to certain public records (they’re not allowed to be photocopied either) and under normal circumstances, she would not be allowed to see even her own COLB. She said she was escorted to where the record was kept, was not allowed to handle the document and was not allowed to make any kind of notes. She was told she could not make public any of the information contained in the document and could only say that she had seen it.

I wasn’t interested enough to do any follow-through, but it would be nice to know if this is, indeed, Hawaiian law.

SukieTawdry on April 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

It is the same culture that put Barack Obama – a handsome community organizer with good teleprompter skills – in office, and it is the same culture that will be more concerned with the no-chance presidential bid of Donald Trump than it is about our fiscal future.

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Terrye on April 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Same thing happened to my grandma.
Hospital burned down.

OmahaConservative on April 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Because he doesn’t have to.
ernesto on April 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

You forgot to say “nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah”, jump up and down, and hold your breath until you turn blue.

kingsjester on April 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Many moons ago, a Chicago politician by the name of Emil Jones stated that “I’m gonna make me a U.S. Senator.” Jones became one of Obama’s first political godfathers. This was the young Barack’s entry into the Chicago Combine and provided access to many other “chinamen.” They were responsible for Obama’s electoral successes, along with his “job” at the University of Chicago and Michelle’s “appointment” as vice president for community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals.” They were instrumental in creating Obama’s policies and any sponsored legislation. Emil wasn’t the first person to guide and orchestrate Obama’s political good fortune nor was he the last. My guess is that it was a joint venture to create “Barack Obama,” a candidate with a clean slate – so to speak. Where in the world are those people now? Emil loved the spotlight and was one of ex. gov. Rod Blagojevich’s BFFs. Rod’s trial might be very interesting, although it might not be due to the current DOJ. Hope Tony Rezko takes the stand. Anyway, many of the Obama myths probably had their genesis right here in the Land of Larceny. Find out how Emil handled Obama – and why. In Crook County, nobody wants nobody who nobody sent.

MayorDaley on April 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

How many people think Hawaii is a different country…

albill on April 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM

If the GOP ignores the Constitution regarding eligibility then it can’t be trusted to honor the Constitution on matters related to sovereignty which will eventually lead to Amnesty. If this is the case then the GOP has lost any relevance as a party and I will no longer give them my vote.

I will not cast my vote for any candidate that does not acknowledge the legitimacy of the Birther issue.

sartana on April 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Daily Caller

The College Republicans at the University of California-Merced ask fellow students, who support raising taxes on the rich, if they would be willing to redistribute their GPAs. They don’t think it’s a good idea because they earned their grades.

WoosterOh on April 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM

First, assuming that the short form is based on the information provided on the long form, then what information would be DIFFERENT, if any, from the information on the short form?

All of it, or none of it. The COLB can be altered freely.

Are you doubting that the long form lists Hawaii as his birth place?

We are not even sure there is a long form at all. We won’t know until we see it. Hawaiian governor (friend of Obama) said it didn’t exist while other Hawaiian officials said they had in fact seen it.

Second, what information is contained on the long form that MIGHT be embarrassing to Obama? The listed occupation of his father? The listed occupation of his mother? What would he be hiding?

blink on April 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM

It could be a Kenyan birth certificate and the official who said they had seen the birth certificate could be telling the truth, just not ALL the truth. It may not even exist.

Who knows.

It should be released along with everything else he is hiding.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM

MadisonConservative on April 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Because, afterall, every politician knows how good it is for them to pretend that they aren’t telling the whole story. Winning! DUH! ///

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Looks to me like it was 45% of Republicans rather than 47%. Just sayin’…

J.E. Dyer on April 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I’ll be so freaking PISSED if these idiots make Trump the nominee cause they are so delusional and desperate because Obama need to be replace with someone who knows what they are doing and not an egomaniac. I was told Obama’s election got white people so pissed they lost their minds. I’m beginning to believe it.

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Utopia?

Freedonia?

profitsbeard on April 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Don’t know about another country, but he sure isn’t an American.

Could be this is why the Constitution calls out natural born citizens only for president.

tarpon on April 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM

That truly is a racist statement, and I don’t mean in the sarc tag sense.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

tarpon on April 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Could be, indeed. but according to AllahP, that part of the Constitution is “antiquated”.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM

It doesn’t matter if he shows it. You guys would NEVER believe it was real and some armchair wannabe forgery expert will use technobabble and photoshop to make you believe it was fake. You guys keep falling for it and giving these people your money. Remember the “Whitey” tape which basically another Nigerian scam? Remember the FORGED Kenyan birth certificate that turned out to be another photoshop job? Remember the re-mixing of the interview with his Grandmother?

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM

blink on April 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

The little boy who pointed out the Emporer was nekkid sure did a lot of good…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Blink, the Hawaii governor Abercrombie most certainly did say that there was no Birth Certificate on file. When pressed he said that there was something “in writing” attesting to the birth- and it was that that he said he could not legally release. After famously declaring that he would find and release the Birth Certificate and end the controversy once and for all. This was a bombshell story that wasn’t when even the Right Wing media ignored it- as they’ve by turns ignored the Birther issue and dumped on the Birthers for so long, it’s pretty much too late for them to take the issue seriously now.

sartana on April 21, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM

That truly is a racist statement, and I don’t mean in the sarc tag sense.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Yes I am 100 percent making a racist statement because I think that is at the core of this whole desperate nonsense to find a way to get him out of office, racism and anti-islamic bigotry. You have plenty to tag on him, but you keep hanging on to this illogical mess. You get all your information from right wing fringe sites, usually Free Republic and World Net Daily (who’s “editor” admitting to feeling it is sometimes okay to make up crap). All some blowhard has to do is talking about Obama’s BC and you guys fawn all over them like they are the next coming of Jesus. Your even abandoning TRUE conservatives because they have the sense enough to know not to get themselves dragged into this foolery with you.

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM

blink – to your April 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM post:

It would reveal whether his certificate was generated from hospital records or an affidavit. The long form would show which hospital he was born in, if he was born in a hospital (Obama has named both the major hospitals in Honolulu as his birthplace) or if it was a home birth – it would also show whether the birth was attended. Assuming it was attended, the witnesses would be noted. If a hospital birth the doctor would attest to delivery.

There might also be a doctor who attests that he treated the mother shortly after birth but did not attend the birth, (if O was not born in a hospital or other medical facility)

A delayed birth certificte can be obtained on the strenght of a parent or even non-parent relatives affidavit claiming birth in Hawaii.

SarahW on April 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM

In order for Obama to have a birth place monument built for him at his birthplace, he will need to expose the actual address of where he was born with attending witness that can confirm such a time and place.

It would be a good idea to get it out now.

Mcguyver on April 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM

All of it, or none of it. The COLB can be altered freely.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Is that true? How?

Adoptions can be altered and out of state and out of country births have been found as well.

We are not even sure there is a long form at all.

But isn’t the COLB based on the long form? How would state even issue a COLB unless a long form exists?

The COLB is based on the ‘birth record’ which may be a birth certificate or something else.

Hawaiian governor (friend of Obama) said it didn’t exist

No, he didn’t. He said that the state’s lawyers told him that he wasn’t allowed to release it without Obama’s permission.

No that is not true.

He told Honolulu’s Star-Advertiser: ‘It actually exists in the archives, written down,’ he said.

But it became apparent that what had been discovered was an unspecified listing or notation of Obama’s birth that someone had made in the state archives and not a birth certificate.

Well, if Hawaiian state officials are willing to lie about the existence of the birth certificate then I’m sure they’d be happy to create a fake one if one was needed. Again, I’m not sure good the efforts of Birthers can do even if they’re right.

blink on April 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

They are already covering for him.

We also have…

Abercrombie said the controversy over publicly producing the document “has a political implication for 2012 that we simply cannot have.”

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM

The amount of disinformation and lies spouted by birthers in this thread alone is staggering. I used to think birthers were just misguided, but based on what I am reading here I think there might be something mentally unbalanced with them. They repeat nonsense over and over than can easily be disproven in a few seconds of googling.

AngusMc on April 21, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You and Lawrence O’Donnell are embarrassing.

Heckle on April 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM

It doesn’t matter if he shows it.

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM

He’s going to have to show it, when states change their eligibility laws to require it.

Louisiana is scheduled to pass theirs on Monday, and Jindal said he’d sign it. The first of many.

Rebar on April 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Because The One won’t release his long-form

How can someone release what they don’t have? Silly Rabbit.

Heckle on April 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Abercrombie said he could not find the long form. He said he found some handwritten notes in the files.

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM

It remains unclear if the document found in the archives was Obama’s actual long-form birth certificate, which “birther” activists have clamored for, or if it was simply a record that such a document exists.

blink, this is from the ABC article sharrukin posted ^

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM

It doesn’t matter if he shows it.

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Rebar on April 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM

and when he does and the state accepts it you’ll say its a forgery and that Jindal is a traitor because you read it at World Net Daily.

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM

And I wonder why there would be handwritten notes, unless there was an irregularity. Unless maybe he was referring to an affidavit of some sort?

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Actually, people like you are part of the problem. Dismiss them too casually at your own peril. The anti-birthers have spouted plenty of misinformation and lies as well.

blink on April 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Your entire arguments are based off of misinformation and obfuscation.

Magnus on April 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM

OK, so let’s ask ourselves what motivation his grandparents or mother would have to claim that he was born in Hawaii? Why would it matter?

blink on April 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM

If his mother was too young according to the laws at the time to confer citizenship and the father was a foreign national then it very much mattered where he was born even for basic citizenship.

sharrukin on April 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Here’s the thing about this birth controversy: Republicans are not answering according to a rational argument, they’re responding on a visceral level. They have a deep distrust of Obama right down to thinking he would lie just for sport. It’s intuition, not intellect at work.

And I agree with them.