The United States of Hot Air: An interactive (and experimental) map

posted at 7:00 pm on April 20, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

I’ve visualized Hot Air’s Presidential votes before, but this is the first time you get to play with some of the data. To zoom in, hover over the cursor arrow button at the bottom of the widget, and a zoom option should appear. Then click where you want to zoom. To zoom onto a specific area, click and hold using the zoom tool, and drag a box over the area you want to focus on. To zoom out, hold “CTRL” and click where you want to zoom out from. To highlight a candidate, click the little pen that appears when you hover your cursor over “My choice for President is:”, and then click the candidate’s name. Holding shift as you click allows you to choose more than one candidate at a time. To return all the candidates to the map, click the little pen again. Hover over a pinpoint to learn more about the data there. You can find a larger version of the map here.

Would love to hear your thoughts about what I’m doing, survey-wise, visualization-wise, or otherwise. Feedback very welcome.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

atxcowgirl on April 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

All aboard the CAIN TRAIN 2012!!!

OneVision on April 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

There’s a 60411 vote for Cain. That’s my old zip-but I don’t think I voted for him over T-Paw…though I do like him.
I KNOW who the 60466 Cain vote was though.
Btw: Mark me down as a 79423 vote for T-Paw.
Thank-see.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

All aboard the CAIN TRAIN 2012!!!
OneVision on April 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

WoooHooo!!

atxcowgirl on April 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Zoom tool? Help!

SouthernGent on April 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM

SouthernGent on April 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM

The arrow tool under the map. Zoom using mouse and make a square on the map and it will zoom in to the area.

atxcowgirl on April 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Hm. Couldn’t find mine-pretty sure I voted. Oh well.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I think this map was rigged. I am in zip code 75081, and I went to the larger version that you can zoom in on, and there was only one vote for that zip code for Cain. I can assure you I did not vote for a big mouthed restauranteur who only wants to soothe his ego.

paulsur on April 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM

atxcowgirl on April 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Thank you!

SouthernGent on April 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Thank you!
SouthernGent on April 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

You’re welcome.

atxcowgirl on April 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Like many of you I’m the only one in my zip and I voted Palin. But when I look around at neighboring zips its Palin, Palin, Palin. Basically Palination. Suddenly not so lonely.
Its pretty cool to see the impact of Hot Air on the country. HAirheads are everywhere.

Patrick, I promote you to full time statmaster for this blog. This chart was beautifully conceived and perfectly executed. Extraordinarily fine work, my man!

eyesky on April 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM

paulsur on April 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Seriously, if you’re going to accuse me of “rigging” a map here and on Twitter, you should probably know make sure you’ve got some facts on your side. Because I found your vote on the map.

Patrick Ishmael on April 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Look at all those Southern racists not voting for Cain … /

Seriously, the only candidates that look remotely “regional” are Giuliani and Bolton. They get the northeast/DC corridor and LA, and that’s about it.

Firefly_76 on April 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM

There’s a 60411 vote for Cain.

annoyinglittletwerp

That was me Barb. d_fitz

southsideironworks on April 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Thanks Patrick, found my vote!

Firefly_76 on April 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I must be doing something wrong; still not finding my vote.

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Actually, still not finding my ZIP code.

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM

That was me Barb. d_fitz

southsideironworks on April 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM

You have excellent taste my friend. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM

My candidate is Eeyore, Mickey Mouse, Palin, Trump, IOW ANYONE but Obama.
Chewy the Lab on April 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Chewy. But my Exploratory Committee told me that my attitude was way too much of a “downer” for this cycle.

eeyore on April 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM

This map was cool, keep it up.

xplodeit on April 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Pretty amazing technology. One problem from my perspective. The only preference in my zip was for Bolton. I expressed my support for Cain and yet I didn’t make the map! I guess it’s possible that I entered the wrong zip, but it’s not likely.

I like Bolton. Had the amazing opportunity of interviewing him once. So, I guess I won’t complain too much. :-)

Wow, so this technology can actually assign intent rather than the actual responses. That IS amazing! Go Bolton!

Ordinary1 on April 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM

How do you enter your zip code? I keep clicking on Rand Paul for 60045 but nothing seems to happen. :(

Old Fritz on April 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Patrick Ishmael, thanks for the great job you’ve done with this piece as well as with the polls.

You just might get me to take a peek into the ‘green’ [piss poor name] room. ;o)

DannoJyd on April 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Representin’ Evergreen Park Il and the next President of the USA Sarah Palin!!

by the way, very impressive work. Thanks.

long_cat on April 21, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Pretty neat, thanks Patrick…Looks like Huck only got one maybe two votes from Arkansas voters…

Gohawgs on April 21, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Mine was easy to find…all alone in southern WV.

Pattosensei on April 21, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I like this feature. You should expand it to all the polls we do.
Lets do a “Who thinks Allah is a closet liberal” poll./

csdeven on April 21, 2011 at 8:47 AM

How do you vote for a candidate on this map?

Also, if Giuliani is on the candidate list (haven’t heard from him in ages), shouldn’t Chris Christie be on it?

Steve Z on April 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Thank you for making the data available. Most excellent!

beatcanvas on April 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Thanks, Patrick. I was able to find mine after figuring out my Palin vote was underneath a Cain vote (47725). It would be nice to be able to visually see the approximate number of votes (size of the dot?) without having to download the data.

sleepy-beans on April 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM

It’s a trick question since you haven’t offered a Christie choice. At least offer a write-in option.

CVMA-Dredd on April 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM

My 97035 vote for Daniels shows up as Gingrich.

ConservativeOregonian on April 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM

All the votes for Bachmann and Bolton just proved Hot Air is about as useful a political weather vane as asking a Ron Paul supporter.

scotash on April 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I’m not getting this – there’s only one vote for my zip code and it’s not the one I voted for. Same exact thing happened last time too.

Eren on May 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM