Michele Bachmann: Obama’s certification of live birth is good enough for me

posted at 8:18 pm on April 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to 2:55 for the key bit. I think I know what’s going on here, but it’s better that you watch and form your own judgment. The key exchange:

Stephanopoulos: Well I have the president’s certificate right here. It’s certified, it’s got a certification number. It’s got the registrar of the state signed. It’s got a seal on it. And it says ‘this copy serves as prima facie evidence of the fact of birth in any court proceeding.’

Bachmann: Well, then that should settle it.

Stephanopoulos: So it’s over?

Bachmann: That’s what should settle it. I take the president at his word and I think– again I would have no problem and apparently the president wouldn’t either. Introduce that, we’re done. Move on.

Stephanopoulos: Well this has been introduced. So this story is over?

Bachmann: Well as long as someone introduces it I guess it’s over.

Even a RINO candy-ass non-Birther like me is well enough acquainted with the nuts and bolts of the issue to know that Stephanopoulos doesn’t have his “birth certificate” in hand there. He has the Certification of Live Birth, the same document produced by The One’s campaign three years ago showing that he was born in Hawaii, which is based on information in the long-form birth certificate but isn’t the same thing. The actual long-form birth certificate is still under lock and key at the Hawaii health department; it does exist, according to a former department chief who says she’s seen it, and it does authenticate Obama’s birth in Hawaii, but neither Steph nor anyone else will get a copy until The One requests one and hands it out. Maybe Stephanopoulos knows that and is being coy by offering the COLB to Bachmann to see how she’d react, or maybe he hasn’t done his homework and genuinely thinks this is the secret document about which Birthers have been obsessing.

More interesting, though, is Bachmann’s reply: Either she’s so eager to be done with this issue that she’s willing to play along with Steph’s ignorance to lay it to rest, or she herself is so disinterested in Birtherism that she hasn’t bothered to learn the distinction between the long-form certificate and the COLB. Based on what she told Fox last week, I think it’s the latter. It sounds like she’s willing to play ball when asked about this, since some people take it seriously enough to keep posing the question, but she’d obviously rather talk about ObamaCare and the debt crisis. So she gives the constitutional answer — yes, let’s all check the natural-born box by producing our birth certificates — but she’s not so invested in the issue as to be a stickler about which “certificates” qualify. A mild surprise given her status as a hero of the base, which is where most Birthers seem to reside, but also proof that she’d rather focus on fiscal issues than question The One’s legitimacy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

My guess is that MB knows she’s vulnerable on the kook conspiracy theorist count and decided to take a pass on this one. Smart enough move if she wants to play down the kook factor. Unfortunately, she has left enough ammo for her detractors already that I see know way that she can pull it off if people start to take her at all seriously.

MJBrutus on April 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I think it makes sense to focus on more meaty stuff. Trump is harping on the birther stuff and the plain fact is right now he is president. If it’s proven he was born elsewhere would our gutless congress really kick him out? I think too many Americans don’t care where he was born.

deewhybee on April 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I’d hit it…

DamnYankee on April 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Oh boy, here we go with the college transcript nonsense again. That’s what birthers specialize in — changing the subject and moving the goalposts when challenged.

Presidents and Presidential candidates do not voluntarily release their college transcripts, whether Republican or Democrat. Period. Bush’s became available only because The New Yorker magazine illegally got ahold of it an published it in violation of federal law (which also happened with Gore a year later).

The college transcripts are a non-issue. They just do not ever voluntarily get released, no matter who the candidate or President is.

AngusMc on April 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Nope. Still on the same subject. Obama’s eligibility is unproven, and his birth certificate issue demonstrates his propensity for lying and coverup.

AngusMc on April 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Hey. I agree with you. The college transcripts are a non-issue. Anyone that’s researched this knows he’s an idiot and is embarrassed by his bad grades. (He even admits dope smoking and bad grades in his book.)

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM

He was born in Hawaii, get over it.

All this whining and conspiracy mongering to the contrary is nothing more than sour grapes from people who don’t like the outcome of the last election. Well I don’t like the outcome either, but that doesn’t drive me to engage in self-deception and delusional thinking.

Why is an imaginary issue that should be relegated to the realm of the John Birchers and the Larouchies being given credence by otherwise rational seeming conservatives and libertarians of at least normal intelligence?

Unless someone can demonstrate probable cause to suspect FRAUD by the state of Hawaii or by one of its employees then there is no story here.

leereyno on April 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM

then there is no story here.

leereyno on April 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM

The legislature of Arizona passed it’s bill overwhelmingly – that’s a story even though Soetoro dodged a bullet with Brewer’s unexpected veto.

Louisiana will be considering their even tougher bill Monday, and Jindal has said he’ll sign it. That’s a story.

Oklahoma will be considering their bill soon, Fallin hasn’t said if she’ll sign it or no, but her record indicates she will.

Texas will also be considering their bill soon, rumor is Perry will sign it. That’s a story.

There are a bunch more states all with similar bills, which could become law before the 2012 primaries. That’s a story.

Seems to me, like there is plenty of “story” going on, for those not in denial.

Rebar on April 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM

leereyno on April 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Excuse me, but YOU don’t get to decide what criteria justifies a discussion or not. That you cannot notice the fraud in this case is more a testament to your lack of knowledge and perhaps reasoning ability than the absence of the con inherent in this issue.

The last thing this issue needs is more ignorant people mouthing off about it.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM

And as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, Arizona would NOT be rejecting Hawaii’s documents. They would be requiring a SPECIFIC Hawaiian Document. You can’t submit a Hawaiian driver’s license if the requirement is for a birth affidavit.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM

THIS

Arizona has the right to set its own election laws and the right to ask for any reasonably obtainable document it wishes, to allow access to its ballot.

Because the long-form birth certificate has more details, Arizona can ask for this if it likes, if it makes Arizona feel that it has more thoroughly determined that the candidate is a natural-born citizen.

And, regarding a couple of you who say they have had no problem getting driver’s licenses with just a COLB, I know for a fact three things you cannot do with it:

1. Work for the U.S. Census
2. Obtain a California driver’s license
3. Present it to a Little League official and expect your child to be permitted to swing a baseball bat at a ball thrown by another child.

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM

After all this interminable talking past each other is over, I will stand firmly on one point:

Those who say that 0bama should not be required to show his long-form birth-certificate to be allowed on the 2012 ballot are arguing that he, with his finger on the nuclear button to kill billions of people, should not be held to the same level of disclosure as an average, 12-year-old, American boy who wants to play baseball.

Keep that in mind when deciding whether the leader ruler of a constitutional republic should be required to submit to the same indignities as the led ruled.

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

The college transcripts divorce records are a non-issue. They just do not ever voluntarily get released, no matter who the candidate or President is; instead 0bama’s people dig them up and get them released to steal elections.

AngusMc on April 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Fixed that for ya.

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Don’t you have the slightest inclination to truth? Any 12 year old in the state of AZ would be using precisely the same form of COLB Obama has. I appreciate the desire to weave some compelling narrative..and the 12 year old baseball player really sounds good, unless of course your goal is to tell the truth in which case you’ve failed.

Arizona has uses the very same proof of live birth and citizenship they desire to exclude from HI, funny.

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM

From those of you criticizing people like me who would like to see 0bama more thoroughly vetted before being allowed on the 2012 ballot in my state, I have a question:

What are you going to say if my legislature passes this bill and my governor signs it? Are you going to call my state, my governor, my legislature and – by extension – me, RACISTS, just because we happen to be Louisianans?

Are some of you going to go there?

And second question: How are you going to respond if 0bama refuses to comply and decides to skip running for president in Louisiana, so that even his many black supporters are not allowed to vote for him?

REPEAT, have any of you considered this yet? The reaction of over a million Louisiana blacks who will go to the polling place and discover that the first black president is NOT ON THE BALLOT AND THEY CANNOT CAST A VOTE FOR HIM?!?!?

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM

That just means that any Presidential Candidate from Arizona will just have to get a copy of his Original birth certificate.

Simple. :)

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM

How many of you are going to support 0bama’s decision to refuse to produce an easily obtained Hawaiian document, if he decides to deprive a million black Louisiana citizens of the right to vote for him, even if he has no hope of winning the state?

If he puts his right to hide something over the right of a million blacks to vote for him, and people choose to defend him over this, then we know who the real “birthers” are.

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Don’t call me a liar, you jackass. Not a word to throw around by direct implication.

A twelve-year-old can’t be president in 2012, and WE ARE DISCUSSING THE 2012 ELECTION AND BARACK OBAMA.

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Obama doesn’t care about you! He doesn’t want your vote! He’ll spend a billion dollars to run for president but won’t spend $10 to get on the Louisiana ballot!

Excellent.

slickwillie2001 on April 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM

There are a few striking similarities between the lefty trolls:

1. All they’ve got is name calling. Makes it easy to spot them, though. It’s like they put a big X on their own backs. Heh!
2. They have not a scintilla of integrity. They have no
problem with lying at every turn. They defend and respect dear Zero’s con game, his cover up, his lies and own lack of integrity. /Sad, really.
3. They know nothing of the law they try to misrepresent at every turn.
4. They could give a rat’s ass about the Constitution or Rule of Law.
5. They operate purely on an agenda of feelings, coercion to their agenda and efforts to shut up anyone who disagrees.

As for cane_loader’s excellent points, it’s going to be even more entertaining when the trolls twist themselves into hopeless knots and attempt to malign as collectively ‘crazy’, etc., etc., the citizens of 12 (or more?) states, their elected representatives And their Governors. Should be fun to watch!

Opinionator on April 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Hmmm. I forgot. One of my children was born in Hawaii in 1998. I asume she has a Birth Certificate and not a Certificate of Live Birth. Going to check tonight. Just curious.

shick on April 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM

There are dozens of serious policy differences we can highlight between a conservative candidate and Obama. Instead, we’re talking about this. Who does that help? To me, it helps Obama.

hawksruleva on April 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM

IS NOT TRUE. The 12 year in AZ would be using the short form certificate of live birth as has been the state law since 1996.

Thus your comment is not a statement of fact…sorry if that upsets you but it’s just the facts.

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM

2) Obama can’t request the original copy of his birth certificate, because Hawaii no longer releases it, or exact copies of it. See here.

crr6 on April 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

One of my children was born in Hawaii in 1998. I assume she has a Birth Certificate and not a Certificate of Live Birth. Going to check tonight. Just curious.

shick on April 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I quote myself because I value my own comments. :)
I’m going to try and get a new copy. I’ll follow your links and see what it brings me. I think my daughter’s certificate reads, “Certificate of Live Birth”.

Side note: Hawaii is messed up with their multiple forms: Certificate of Live Birth, Certification of Live Birth and Certificates of Hawaiian Birth. I’d argue it’s because they give racial preferences to Hawaiians. A Hawaiian might not be what someone think’s it means. It means ancestraly genuinly Hawaiian. I had an American Indian history teacher tell me once that genuine Hawaiians make less then 1% of the population of the state of Hawaii.

shick on April 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM

From your previous statements, I believe you and “facts” are hardly acquainted. It has gotten to the point where if you said “The Sun Rises in the East” I would have to look out the window to see.

You might eventually get a fact right by accident. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Very nice…but do you dispute the fact that any person born after 1996 in AZ would receive a short form as their official state issued BC?

Or did you ignore the factual question and just post the insult?

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Or did you ignore the factual question and just post the insult?

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I ignored the factual question and just posted the insult. :)

If perhaps somehow you could show some sort of relevance?

I don’t see why irrelevant information needs a serious or objective response.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM

You know what I agree, it was irrelevant. But you must admit someone posting the requirements for a 12 year old that gets it so wrong was much put on a tee for me>

Especially when the changes to AZ’s law (present & 1996 changes) is such a big part of the current dialog on this topic.

Irrelevant as it might be..it was just too tempting.

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

cane_loader on April 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

We’ve already seen Him assert that “right” with Lt. Col. Lakin.

Anti-Birthers don’t care about Lakin nor knowing exactly why 0bamessiah let him hang out to dry, because 0bamessiah’s “right” to keep His LFBC out of view, if He so chooses, is such an important one to preserve that men should be willing go jail if they want to see it when He wants to keep it out of sight. See, 0bamessiah isn’t a public employee serving the people, we peasants serve Him!!! Now, bow down before your King, especially you Birthers!!!

Anti-Birthers deem Birthers crazy for believing conspiracy theories w/o good evidence, yet they believe 0bamessiah is suppressing His LFBC for the purpose of setting a political trap without any evidence whatsoever to back that theory up. It’s different when they do it, though, because consistency and humility is for the little ones among us, who care about trivial things like logic and proof, and who want explanations for unnecessary and suspicious behavior.

These Anti-Birters sure are a funny lot, aren’t they? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on April 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Irrelevant as it might be..it was just too tempting.

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I know what you mean. When that one guy said “This could blow up in our faces”, it was too good of an opening to let slide.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on April 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Larkin was set up and it’s sad, he got bad advice. I remember an interview of him which asked. (Not quote, summarized)

Q: Ok, you question the legality of these orders based on on questioning the legitimacy of the CIC. Have you ever asked anyone else above you in the chain of command to prove their citizenship? Do you think that’s your appropriate role?

A: No

Ouch…

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

We’ve already seen Him assert that “right” with Lt. Col. Lakin.

Bizarro No. 1 on April 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Larkin is perhaps America’s first political prisoner. (of this Century. We’ve had em before.)

I can see Obama’s dilemma. If he doesn’t produce it, Larkin Goes to Jail. If he DOES produce it, HE goes to jail.

Hmmm… really tough call for Obama. :)

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

A: No

Ouch…

NextGen on April 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

It is not necessary for American Officers to be “natural born citizens.” It IS necessary for the CIC to be a natural born citizen, and it is EVERYBODY’S duty to insure that he is.

And Larkin got bad legal advice. He also got a Kangaroo court trial.

The point remains. It is NOT in the best interest of the United States to have serious doubts of their Commander’s legitimacy running through the ranks of the Officers and the Enlisted men.

It is a testament to his lack of character that Obama would allow such doubts to remain.

DiogenesLamp on April 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

What, we don’t have anything better to discuss than this stupid birth certificate crap? He’s president. Get over it! If you want Barry to no longer be president, focus on his failed policies so he can lose the reelection instead of focusing on this birther crap that will make Barry a more sympathetic candidate.

mizflame98 on April 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Thank you, well said.

AprilOrit on April 22, 2011 at 1:06 AM

They keep asking Bachmann about the birth certificate and it’s not even on her radar. You’d think these people like Matthews and Stephanopolis would go find themselves some judges or constitutional scholars to ask about Obama’s eligibility, if they wanted to be taken seriously as journalists.

Buddahpundit on April 22, 2011 at 4:12 AM

It is my opinion that Obama is an illegitimate President. He has produced no evidence to convince me otherwise, and until he does so, I will continue to assert that he is not legitimate.

DiogenesLamp on April 22, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I certainly don’t consider myself a birther or a kook but I want to know why it isn’t important to everyone that Obama be required to prove his is qualified to have run for President. McCain had to, why not Obama? No one spends over $2M to seal their records — no one!

Every last citizen of this country should be demanding to see the long form birth certificate because if it lists Obama Sr., Obama did not meet the requirement to run for President no matter where he was born. Bachmann doesn’t see a problem with that.

She doesn’t need to bother running for President if she is not interested and doesn’t know the difference between the two forms.

When I went to get my passport, I had to order a new birth certificate which was certified because the one I had with me all these years did not pass their requirement.

PhiKapMom on April 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM