Hot Air Candidate Approval results

posted at 9:30 am on April 19, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

I’m going to start off with the Presidential picks even though it’s secondary to our main purpose, and then get to the nitty gritty in the rest of the data. As always, contact me if you have questions or comments; the number of approaches I could take to highlight the data are nearly endless, so tell me if you have a particular wrinkle in mind. 7222 readers participated in the survey.

Sarah Palin once again leads the Primary race among Hot Air readers. She is again followed by Herman Cain in second. Tim Pawlenty and Mitch Daniels take third and fourth place respectively, while Mitt Romney leads a very tight pack of Rand Paul and Michele Bachmann, in fifth.

As always, the numbers are pretty consistent month to month, with the candidate spread widening as people leave the field and votes get reassigned.

There are a lot of ways to look at the favorability data, so since I’ve laid out the overall vote already, let’s start that way. As a reminder, favorability questions were based on a 1-to-7 scale, with 7 being the highest mark.

The blue line is the overall approval average of a candidate. The red line is a peer average — that is, the candidate’s favorability with those who said they voted for someone else. You’ll note that the peer average is always lower than the overall average, since candidates’ supporters have an interest in giving their person marks higher than everyone else.

Supporters on average gave their candidate a rating of 6.49. Non-supporters on average gave those candidates a 3.60 rating. The field as a whole was rated at 3.76, or roughly average-to-below average.

The following chart is sorted by average supporter rating. For what it’s worth, I think it’s fair to call this a measure of supporter “intensity.”

This next graph is the same as the graph above, but rearranged by peer average.

One bar sticks way out. Sarah Palin is well-liked at Hot Air even among those who don’t support her for President, but I think a lot of the flame wars that break out in the comments section are a result of this approval/intensity disparity. Lots of strong Palin supporters skew the overall average up, but when you remove those voters, you get an idea of where everyone else is at. You’ll also note that the farther to the left you go on this chart, the greater the “grassroots rockstar,” but approval doesn’t always translate into votes. Compare to the totals at the top of this post.

Since Donald Trump is presently newsworthy, I’ll also point out that he’s the second-least favored candidate in the Hot Air field. The least favored is, surprisingly, Jon Huntsman, who I didn’t think had yet garnered a high enough profile to illicit that kind of a distinction. We’ll see if that changes going forward.

The overall results follow for each candidate, broken down by rating. Again, this is without supporters removed.

We’ll do another formal Presidential survey in just a few weeks. Stay tuned.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

But also conflict drives numbers on threads. Sarah is a big source of conflict within the party. The debate is rarely about issues. We seem to agree about issues, it only about personalities.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I disagree. Palin is someone of substance the likes I haven’t seen on the Republican side for a long time. Someone that lives by her beliefs and isn’t just empty rhetoric. That makes for exciting possibilities and it’s why people are driven.

What’s more is that exactly the opposite of what you say is true. The dissenters NEVER talk about issues. It’s always “I like Palin, but I don’t think she’s ready”, or “I like Palin, but I think she should have finished her term” (without including that she would have gone bankrupt and would have also hurt Alaska in the process) or “I like Palin, but I think she’s better on the sidelines”. Palin doesn’t do sidelines. She stands up for what she believes in and stands up to those that attack her.

Everyone knows Palin’s position on fiscal issues. They know her position on social issues. They know her position on family values. On and on, pick any issue, we know what they are. And she walks the walk, and has a record to prove it.

So no, I cannot agree with you. The facts on the ground are too strongly opposed to what you say.

MrX on April 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Banned? Of course not. What put that thought in to your empty skull, aside from wishful thinking?

Maybe because death wishes are one of your favorite rhetorical devices?

Wishful because I know you hate having your ignorant comments torn to bits by a rational mind. It must truly suck to be you, how do you stand it?

Mmm-kay.

Anyway, I’m not going anywhere, so your usual “shut up” will continue to be the lamest of all arguments.

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

When, exactly, have I ever told anyone to shut up? Even if I had, I don’t think I’d hold it on the same level as “ES&D MoFo.”

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

hat sword cuts two ways, fossten. HotAir is not exactly an American election bellwhether, is it?

And as for “Palin hate” here, don’t be silly. She is adored here, almost universally, even among those of us who will not support her as a candidate for President (me).

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM

While I don’t ‘adore’ the gentlelady from AK-I certainly think shes a good woman and a good conservative.
Btw: On the + side my husband seems to gotten over his support for the Gentlelady’s canidacy -the downside is that he’s now favoring Trump(not for the birther BS) or Newt.
I told him that T-Paw is the man-but noooo, Mr. Twerp has to be difficult. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Oh my… I think we may live in the same house. Actually, my husband isn’t terribly opinionated yet but… he did champion Palin for a bit. And then flirted with Trump, except Trump said what he did about a 3rd party and that was that.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Don’t call me a troll. It’s annoying. I am no more a troll than you.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Actually that was not directed to you at all.
So it’s unfortunate you equated me talking to you that way.
That’s why I left a space afterword.
I was directing it toward MJB.
He likes coming in & acting trollish.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM

MrX on April 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Disagree. She wasn’t in office long enough to really know how her stands would stand up over the long haul.

And I said mostly we do agree on issues and we agree with Palin too.

The only thing left is: do we think she can do the job.

I don’t, You do.

So we fight.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Sorry, I’d like to correct my last post. I see that you meant the debate in general between those for and against Palin are rarely about the issues. I agree. I thought you meant that Palin supporters never talk about issues which they do quite a lot. The talk about personalities and the lack of debate on real issues is all on the side of the nay-sayers though, exactly as I’ve mentioned in my post.

MrX on April 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

My husband doesn’t support the 3rd party thing either. He like’s Trump’s business sense

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM

She has called herself a libertarian I think. So does that mean she likes gay marriage. I mean of course she has to say she doesn’t because that is the right answer. But being a libertarian pretty much includes gay marriage.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Petunia, with respect, one of the reasons why you tend to so infuriate Palin supporters is because you express strong opinions about her without really having done your homework. I have no doubt Palin has said nice things about Libertarians. It would be foolish not to as many of them are fine conservatives. That is a lot different than calling oneself a Libertarian. But hey, if you have a link quoting Palin saying this, please share it. As far as her position on gay marriage, anyone who paid attention during the 2008 campaign already knows it.

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Sorry, I’ve been a bit sensitive. I went to an actual Palin thread last night… I try to leave those alone mostly. I don’t consider this a Palin thread this is a poll thread where all are welcome. But I got bashed pretty bad… I’m sort of used to being called names.

I’m actually glad to see MJB take the heat of a bit.

None of it ever really makes sense. And no one thinks anyone who disagrees with them has any vaild reasons…

Have you picked a candidate yet? Were you a Mitt guy? Or a McCain, Fred? I can’t remember. I realy have forgotton 2008.

I’m really disappointed in his continued support of Romneycare… and I might could even get past that but I want to get rid of Obamacare and start over and it is just too inconsistent to think you can elect the guy who gave us Romneycare and then repeal Obamacare. That is like split personality or something.

It’s a shame too. The economy is really important. But others are stepping up on the economy. This group is so much better than last time on the economy.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Still making friends wherever you go, I see.

kingsjester on April 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Who’s your second choice?
I like Cain.
Palin’s a distant 3rd for me.
Btw: I enjoy reading your comments-even if I don’t agree with them all. *smile*
-Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I have never heard Palin speak ill of potential GOP opponents (Mitt, T-Paw, Newt, Daniels, Huckabee, etc.).

She is highly critical of Republicans when they do not live their promises or her expectations (e.g. the budget deal) and capitulate rather than standing their ground and fighting on the issues.

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Well the reason Palin people infuriate the rest of us is that Palin has never stopped running. I don’t follow her every word… I don’t follow any of them that closely.

Somebody here linked an article that quoted Palin saying she was a libertarian. I think it was the Huck guy.

For most of us the election has only begun. And it is equally infuriating and a bit obessive compulsive that Sarah’s few years are so well known that you can quote dates and times… this is very odd for this early in a campaign. And leads those of us on a more normal trajectory to view your lot as over the top in love with your candidate.

Not to mention that you are so caught up in the details of the forest you have missed the trees of reasons not to support her.

Just because you have found them uncompelling doesn’t mean they are not compelling and in fact may make or break the election in the end.

Like Obama going after Ryan at that speech… it was like the end of a campaign not the beginning and that is offensive.

The election is November 2012. Today is April 2011, now we get to know the candidates… We allow the campaign to develop… We don’t’ memorize statistics.

Impressions matter in the end as much as statistics.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Sarah Palin has been in public service for over 20 years, from Mayor to Vice Presidential nominee. your argument is nothing but wishful thinking.

idesign on April 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

kingsjester on April 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Popularity around here arises from repetition of conventional, unthinking partisan crazy talk. That makes you the belle of this ball. So you see Head Wound, I find the disdain of morons like you and whatshisface to be a compliment.

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Headwound???

Jeez…

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Who’s your second choice?
I like Cain.
Palin’s a distant 3rd for me.
Btw: I enjoy reading your comments-even if I don’t agree with them all. *smile*
-Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I dont’ even have a first choice yet. In this poll I ranked Pawlenty and Daniels highest. I probably put Trump last, he may even have a 1. I tried to give them all something because… I know I’m in a minority but I think they are all okay…

Near the bottom was probably Santorum, Gingrich, Guilani… this time in 2007 I was for Guilanni I think, law and order.

I am working it out. I’m one of those undecideds.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Wow. What an intelligent, classy post. **Golf clap.**

kingsjester on April 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

idesign on April 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

She’s won elections-but that doesn’t mean that the Gentlelady is the best choice for nominee in 2012.
Some of us loyal, fellow conservatives happen to believe that there are others that are more qualfied to fill that spot. I happen to support Tim Pawlenty but that’s why we have primaries. May the best candidate win.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

MrX on April 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM

That is probably because you are two years into the campaign and we have only begun.

And honestly it isn’t issues that keep me from supporting her wholeheartedly.

And since you do… there is no way to avoid disagreement.

And the real disagreement is who can do it best not what should be done.

That leaves people.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

kingsjester on April 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I know, here’s a thought. How about you keep following me around like the lost, little mutt you are and then you won’t be subjected to such vulgar posts? Give it a try Scrote.

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

T-Paw believes(d) that it’s your fault that you’re gonna be sweating this summer instead of nature’s…All unpacked?…

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Scrote? Really?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM

That’s obvious.

Many of us who are politically engaged know the pros and cons of all candidates. Those who follow a “normal tragectory” tend to not jump into political threads and shoot their mouths off and then complain when they get called on the carpet.

I wouldn’t say that knowing what the vice presidential candidate said in the debates during the last election cycle is memorizing statistics. Its simply being informed. I’m sure many readers here will find your attempt to paint the informed person as the idiot and the uniformed person as the reasonable one amusing, but to me you’re a bore.

Impressions matter in the end as much as statistics.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I know. You have made it painfully obvious you tend to vote based on feelings. It sounds like your husband used to support Palin. How dare he. You can show that hussy who is boss when you vote against her in the primary.

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Do you look as stupid as the things you type?

idesign on April 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

One of my problems with Gov. Palin is the fanaticism of some-but certainly not all of her supporters. The true-believers view is that Gov. Palin is the ONLY conservative out there and that she’s the next coming of ‘fill in the blank’ and if she isn’t the nominee they won’t vote because every other republican possible is a RINO yaddah yaddah.
Though it isn’t-entirely-her fault, the cult-of- personality that has welled-up in some circles around Gov. Palin has really turned me off to voting for her in a primary. She’s a celebrity. The nation elected a celebrity in 2008. We see where THAT got us.
Jindal/Pence 2012(I know they’re not running but so what)
Pawlenty 2012.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Why don’t you leave him alone brute!

AsianGirlInTights on April 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM

For the most part.
I bought a bike @ Target yesterday…and returned it this afternoon. The $%^&*^% thing blew a flat this afternoon…when I was 6 miles out. 140 bucks for a bike and it blows a tire after a day.
Maybe I’ll get roller-blades.
Btw My 2 inch cockroaches are in love wih you and want to be your best friends forever.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

500 comments later and the ABP people are still having the vapors.

What a shame. And I think what drives them mad is that Palin increased her % from just 2 weeks ago. She is heading in the wrong direction for the ABP people. And while their new guy Trump is flaming out as bad as the hindenburg on a pleasure cruise, Palin continues to do everything right.

She is in a word unstoppable.

At this right the ABP people

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Why don’t you leave him alone brute!

AsianGirlInTights on April 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I agree. Please leave him alone.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

That’s basically the logical equivalent of saying in 1980 “Ronald Reagan’s a man. The nation elected a man in 1976. We see where THAT got us.” Or, in 2000, “George W. Bush is a southern governor. The nation elected a southern governor in 1992 and 1996. We see where THAT got us.”

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Whoosh, I think…I’ll check my social calendar — nope, it’s full. Try Lorien!!!

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

She is in a word unstoppable.

At this right the ABP people

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Please. Stop.
The Gentlelady may be unstoppable-but she also can’t beat ZERO in the general.
You’d think in a red part of Texas she’d be quite popular.
I’m discovering that…she’s really not.
This is Huckabee territory….except for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

My view may not be ‘rational’ -but it is what it is.
As a now former Midwesterner-I like T-Paw better regardless.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Whoosh, I think…I’ll check my social calendar — nope, it’s full. Try Lorien!!!

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

He’d hit them!
I’ve got waterbugs too?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Please. Stop.
The Gentlelady may be unstoppable-but she also can’t beat ZERO in the general.
You’d think in a red part of Texas she’d be quite popular.
I’m discovering that…she’s really not.
This is Huckabee territory….except for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

God bless you Twerp, but honestly, listen to yourself: “I’ll vote for Sarah Palin in the general but not in the primaries?” How does that equate with not being able to beat Obama?

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM

This is Huckabee territory….except for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

What are they too poor to send Huck any money? If TX was Huck country you would think he would be raking in the money…

Palin runs she wins.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM

If you don’t vote for SP, then you will guarantee 4 more years of our dear leader and you can kiss this country goodbye.

Kissmygrits on April 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I’ll vote for a ham sandwich over Zero at this point-but that doesn’t make the ham sandwich electable.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

What are you even talking about? I swear you are so out of touch with reality.

You all sound pretty close to the way the Obama people did. And it is a big big turn off.

She has been running unopposed for more than two years. She isn’t getting anywhere.

But hey I know it is nuts to engage you… the thing is I don’t even understand why the thought of me voting for someone else offends you. It isn’t personal. And it is not half as emotional as saying that someone who was a governor for two years knows everything… that is emotion talking not sense.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Kissmygrits on April 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I’m voting for that candidate that most mirrors my views and values.
That’s Tim Pawlenty-rigth now.
I’ve never felt the need to give in to peer pressure.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM

’m voting for that candidate that most mirrors my views and values.
That’s Tim Pawlenty-rigth now.
I’ve never felt the need to give in to peer pressure.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Right. That’s in the primaries. I’m just saying, the people that are crapping their drawers over the prospect of Palin making it through the primaries are often the ones that tell me “I’ll vote for her, but she won’t beat Obama.”

Well guess how she beats Obama, Boys and Girls?! By getting more votes than he does! It’s like people resign themselves to voting for her thinking it won’t make one damn bit of difference, cause they’re so consumed with ABO, they seem to lose the ability to think rationally.

And no, this isn’t directed at you personally, Twerp. I’ve been saying for months that you should pick a candidate and go with whoever that is on the basis of principle. In that aspect, you seem to actually have a leg up on many of our “electability” parrots.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Kissmygrits on April 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

If you don’t vote for Mitt, then you will guarantee 4 more years of our dear leader and you can kiss this country goodbye.

Wow anyone can play that game.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Kissmygrits on April 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

but I agree with you. :)

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I didn’t take it personally.
*grins*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 6:13 PM

She has been running unopposed for more than two years.

Really? If so, then you should be up on her stmts and policies since she’s the only one out there, just through osmosis. I bet Palin would disagree that she has been upopposed, as would most people, as the left and the MSM (redundant) have lied about her since her selection as the VP nominee. Her association with the TEA party has many of our “thought leaders” opposing Palin, as well…

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM

What are you even talking about? I swear you are so out of touch with reality.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Talk about losing touch with reality…

First off, if Palin “has been running unopposed for more than two years,” does that mean Romney, Huckabee, and Gingrich just recently emerged from some sort of two-year-long cryogenic freeze?

Why is it nuts to engage me? I think I’m generally rather calm and rational. And, despite what you say, the thought of you voting for someone other than Palin doesn’t “offend” me and I have no idea why you would even think it does. I’ve never written anything to that effect. Vote for whoever you want to (which you have stated will be whoever the bandwagon chooses for you). I really don’t care.

I also never said that Palin “knows everything,” or anything that could be construed as even coming close to that. Way to distinguish the voices in your head from reality. (Also, she was governor for two years and eight months, encompassing three full legislative sessions in which she managed to get virtually all of her agenda passed).

I’m not the one hallucinating non-existent comments into existence. Maybe you’re the one letting emotion talk. Would you like a little brown paper bag for your hyperventilation?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM

The Gentlelady may be unstoppable-but she also can’t beat ZERO in the general.
You’d think in a red part of Texas she’d be quite popular.
I’m discovering that…she’s really not.
This is Huckabee territory….except for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

And you think T-Paw can?

LOL!!!

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Marxists, socialized medicine advocates, VAT proponents, felony sentence commuters, and Cap and Trade proponents they will abide. But quitters is where the line is drawn, friends. /

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM

For the most part, yeah.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Repeating the same “arguments,” almost word-for-word, on every Palin thread has yet to yield any results for you. Maybe you should rethink the tack you’re taking. You know the definition of insanity…

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Bwahahahaha!!! You presume to know what I expect to yield from my comments. In truth is, my comments are very productive in that more often than not, they draw out the nutty Palinista’s, thus illustrating just how kooky they are.

Case in you….Your responses.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM

She has been running unopposed singlehandedly battling Obama for more than two years.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Fixed it for you. How life in the parallel universe Petunia?

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Case in you….Your responses.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM

What have I said that is nutty? Explain it to me.

By the way, there’s a word for someone who posts comments designed to elicit unfavorable responses. I can’t quite remember what it is though. It’s on the tip of my tongue…Anybody know?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Anybody know?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM

About Palin? Intelligent! What do I win?

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I’m voting for that candidate that most mirrors my views and values.
That’s Tim Pawlenty-rigth now.
I’ve never felt the need to give in to peer pressure.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM

So you are for cap and tax, “PawlentyCare” (ObamaCare) and having to pay taxes for every mile you drive your car? Who knew! .

Pawlenty has supported every one of those things, vigorously.

gary4205 on April 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM

What have I said that is nutty? Explain it to me.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM

My comments bring out your true feelings. Only then can we move you toward rational discussion about Palin. The assertion my comment was designed to elicit an unfavorable response was a nutty thing to say.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM

This is Huckabee territory….except for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Hahahahahaha!

The people in West Texas may support Huckabee, but Texas is definitely Palin Country.

Look on a map. West Texas has more cacti than people. A LOT more!

You go east of I-35 (all the way to Mexico) and that’s where the state’s population lives. I assure you Huckabee is not well liked here at all, and no one knows who Pawlenty is, or even cares.

Texas may welcome Yankees to come here, as long as they assimilate, but we have no use for Yankee politicians!

gary4205 on April 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM

You said rational and Palin together… that’s funny. Seriously, I think they have marching orders to get any thread that contains Palin up to 500… I think they think they are winning. You know, like Sheen.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Nice try, but I didn’t refer to your last comment specifically. The “comments designed to elicit unfavorable responses” include such examples as this:

I didn’t realize how delusional the rank and file HA readers were. Sarah is not running and if she did, The One would beat her by 10 points.
csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

And this:

The real issue is that the Palinista’s think this poll is proof of how popular Sarah is among most Americans. It is these polls that make many of them the rabid nuts they are.
csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

And this:

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM

For the most part, yeah.
csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

My comments bring out your true feelings.
csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM

As if I ever tried to hide them? I’ve made no secret of my support for Palin. That doesn’t mean everything I write on this blog is therefore overly emotional drivel or that if I dare to discuss my reasons for supporting her that I am somehow “nutty,” “kooky,” or “delusional.”

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM

About Palin? Intelligent! What do I win?

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM

A few more PSIs to further inflate your ego?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM

To those of you who think this straw poll is an aberration, I submit the following:

Gallup also finds her with the highest raw “very favorable” rating at 23% and overall “favorable” rating at 69% with Republicans and Republican-leaning independents among all the Republicans considering a run for the presidency.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Okay what is PSI? The Psychological honor society? I was/am Phi Beta Kappa. Does that work?

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

PSI. As in, “pounds per square inch.” As in, tire pressure. As in, your inflated ego. As in

I was/am Phi Beta Kappa. Does that work?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I can relate to petunia. I have the same problem with Jets QB Mark Sanchez. He is better looking than me, has accomplished more than me, is more famous than me, is wealthier than me, doesn’t have a gut like me and his significant other(s) are hotter than mine. But I don’t make hating Mark Sanchez the focal point of my life. In fact, I think he’s cool. And, I don’t spend hours daily trashing him so I will feel better about myself.

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I was/am Phi Beta Kappa. Does that work?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Did you just call me fat?

I looked up the Gallup poll you were talking about and you found that similar to the Hot Air Poll? Because I don’t.

At Hot Air Palin is the leader and at Gallup she is in the middle of the pack… there are no stand outs really. If there is it would be Huckabee.

So I’ve lost track, were you trying to prove that the world sees Palin like you see her or that her numbers are about the same as always or with 96% of people committed one way or another about her she is in the middle of the pack?

She does have high name recognition…

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I’m not supporting her is trashing? Go figure… yes I have come back here a lot today and yesterday… this has been a work avoiding thing…

Now that I am sufficiently behind I should stop.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I thought that was Jetboy…/

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Any information off a candidate’s website is highly spun. As it should be. I try to stay away from the websites they are just propaganda.

I googled it and went to Gallup itself.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I googled it and went to Gallup itself.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Thanks for the lesson. Much appreciated.
/sarc (I’m spelling that out for you, because I don’t think you would get it otherwise).

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Since the focus of this survey was “Approval” and the figure from Gallup that I cited was about “Favorability,” I think my point should be pretty obvious…

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM

First of all, let me say that I am not a Palin hater, and admire her grit, and appreciate the role that she is playing on the national stage.

However, I am curious why so many will look the other way at her resigning from governor and cashing in on her notoriety. And why so many will look the other way on Romney Care and some of his other past positions, but don’t seem to be willing to give Gingrich a second glance. He is probably the most knowledgeable, capable and experienced potential candidates in the field. Side by side, Gingrich would shred Obama in a debate or on the campaign trail.

tnarch on April 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Those are my opinions. If you choose to react negatively that is your choice.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Those are my opinions. If you choose to react negatively that is your choice.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

In that case, don’t be surprised that Hot Air readers protest when you call them “delusional” or the backs of Palin supporters go up when you call them “rabid nuts.”

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM

tnarch on April 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

In order to accept that Palin resigned the governorship to “cash in”, one would have to accept the highly suspect premise that an individual who voluntarily gave up the use of a private jet and personal chef somehow inexplicably transformed into a money grubbing opportunist. Palin laid out very clearly her reasons for resigning in “Going Rogue” and they make perfect sense. However, I understand your larger question.

As the data above indicates, I don’t think many are willing to give Mitt a second chance unless he loudly proclaims what a disastrous mistake Romneycare was.

As for Newt, I prefer him over Mitt, Huck, Daniels, or Barbour. And I agree with you that he would decimate Obama in a debate. I’m not sure he’s ever going to live down sharing that couch with Pelosi though.

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Some of us loyal, fellow conservatives happen to believe that there are others that are more equally qualfied to fill that spot. I happen to support Tim Pawlenty but that’s why we have primaries. May the best candidate win.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

There, I like it that way better…heh. BTW–I got to shake T-paw’s hand and get his autograph at our Tea Party…

lovingmyUSA on April 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM

That’s Tim Pawlenty-rigth now.
I’ve never felt the need to give in to peer pressure.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Unfortunately T-paw only got 200 people to come out to see him here in the capital city of Iowa…as did Cain…sigh. I know if it had been Sarah, I would have had to come early in the morning to get in line…just saying…

lovingmyUSA on April 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM

tnarch on April 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I don’t doubt Gingrich’s intelligence but experience?

How does college professor and author… with time off in the House of Representatives prepare one to run the country? Where is his record of running things… Also, you can’t say Palin quit but ignore than Gingrich did too! In the middle of a scandal!

I sort of have a rule if you are forced out of office you have failed.

I feel like I need this disclaimer on everything…. I will vote for anyone with an R in the General…

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Palin or bust!!

Channeling my inner Groucho Mark…

And what a bust!

Last time I saw a bust like that, it was in the Louvre!

Say the “secret word” and collect an extra campaign contribution!

Viaduct? Why not a pipeline?

Khun Joe on April 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM

lovingmyUSA on April 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Did you tell him that I’m in love with him and want to have his baby?
*juuuuust kidding*
Btw Gary: I know that T-Paw won’t be the nominee in 2012. I’ll still vote for him in the primary-as this point.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Hahahahahaha!

Look on a map. West Texas has more cacti than people. A LOT more!

gary4205 on April 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Huckabee polls better than Palin in Texas.

Dreadnought on April 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I didn’t intend to imply that Palin resigned in order to cash in. Simply, one act followed the other. The fact being that she resigned was the intended premise of my question. She resigned by force as much as Gingrich did. After she resigned opportunities came her way and she took them…don’t blame her for that at all. It seems that Gingrich can’t be forgiven for his indiscretion which led to his resignation, but others can. Most who support Palin or Bachman, or Rand Paul do so because of their courage to speak their convictions. Gingrich was in the trenches for the Republican Party doing this while they were still cheerleading their favorite high school teams. It was Gingrich who’s focus on the “Contract with America” in 1994 led to the first Republican majority in the house since 1958. As Speaker of the House, he stood up and didn’t flinch (unlike today’s party leadership)in the government shutdowns in 1995 and 1996 which led to many significant gains in budgetary and welfare reform….not to mention the reelection of a Republican majority for the first time in 68 years. With Newt, there’s far more than author, and professor. There’s more than fired up speeches. There’s experience of having been there and knowing what it takes to run the government and how to make the hard deals work.

I’m just trying to find my way through the field of dreams, but not having many restful nights so far.

tnarch on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Questions for anyone.

According to the PPP poll, between 79% and 83% of Texas Republicans prefer someone other than Sarah Palin as the Republican nominee for President.

Does that mean that 79%-83% of all Republicans in Texas are RINOs?

Since Palin polls better with Texas Republican men than with Texas republican women, does that mean that Texas women are sexist?

Dreadnought on April 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM

gary4205 on April 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I’m not a ‘Yankee’-I’m a Midwesterner.
Biiiig difference. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I’m not a ‘Yankee’-I’m a Midwesterner.
Biiiig difference. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Amen to that. The Southerners lump us in with the Yankees and the Yankees lump us in with the Southerners.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

tnarch on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Me too, except I do like them all mostly… I am currently of the opinion that executive experience is paramount. I have not really given Cain the attention he probably deserves because this is his very first political campaign and it is for President. That is astounding to me. But I haven’t studied him at all really.

I am not a supporter of Palin… in fact one of my pet peeves is people who say her resignation is no biggie. I think it speaks volumes about her lack leadership abilities but that goes for Gingrich too.

It seems such a basic thing to me that a politician has to behave in such a way that they out smart their political enemies. Being forced to resign is failure.

I am not holding Gingrich’s personal life against him… After the damage was done resigning was more honorable than what any Democrat would do, but ultimately he failed. In his marriage and in his work as speaker. No matter how many good things happen in a marriage when it ends in divorce it is not considered successful… I think that is how resigning is in politics.

Failure in marriage or politics can probably be recovered from but… then with Gingrich there is the issue of what executive experience does he have? Speaker of the house? I think he has knowledge, but not experience.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM

And some of us think there is no west in your mid.

I am from the North West and it is ridiculus that Northwestern University is in Chicago.

Someone needs better map skills.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Someone needs better map skills.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I compare living in the Midwest to living in Purgatory. It’s neither here nor there. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Blame that on a couple of guys named Mason and Dixon, ya yankees…

Gohawgs on April 20, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Someone with a Phi Beta Kappa should be able to recognize the differences in the circumstances that brought about Newt’s resignation and those of Palin’s. A loophole in Alaskan law was closed after she left office to keep such a thing from happening again…

But then, you know that…

Gohawgs on April 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Blame that on a couple of guys named Mason and Dixon, ya yankees…

Gohawgs on April 20, 2011 at 1:47 AM

My Texas cockroaches are blowing you kisses-and want you to meet their friend…lady scorpion.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 20, 2011 at 1:54 AM

alt,

One word, Bengal Brand foggers…

Gohawgs on April 20, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Petunia,

Your first tack against Palin argued it wasn’t a matter of the issues, “We agree on the issues, we disagree on Palin”. Reading all your posts especially these last long posts, you never talk about issues. It’s all personality and resume.

If you were as issue driven as the hardcore conservative as Hot Air would recognize Palin, Cain, Rand Paul & Michelle Bachman as the only ones on the list who support the full package. I’ll take a guess you avoid issues because you don’t really know them that well. So you’re not motivated by our dire straights to “fight like a girl” are you? I voted Romney last time like you but he fights like a Republican; a total Wuss. Maybe he’s still your man.

Patrick, it was an interesting Poll. The only problem is the most qualified conservative candidate wasn’t included.

Dream Ticket; GOP Nightmare
West/Palin 2012.

rcl on April 20, 2011 at 3:02 AM

What’s this? An upswing in support for Sarah Palin?! Yes!!

Stay strong and motivated as a hungry grizzly, God willing we’re on the way to winning.

:-):-) **** Sarah Palin 2012 **** :-):-)

DaMav on April 20, 2011 at 5:10 AM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

How about you learn to debate on substance instead of resorting to vulgarity and name calling? You are the equivalent of some of these hate spewing lefties except that you are on the right. You are not doing our side any favors by behaving that way but my guess is that you really don’t care. Your comments strike me as childish and narcissistic. I think that someone should swing the ban hammer on you because you are bringing the whole tone of the conversation down.

ReneePA on April 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Please. Stop.
The Gentlelady may be unstoppable-but she also can’t beat ZERO in the general.
You’d think in a red part of Texas she’d be quite popular.
I’m discovering that…she’s really not.
This is Huckabee territory….except for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Really? Are you psychic? I thought that there was no way that this country would be dumb enough to elect Barack Hussein Obama and I was dead wrong. Why not just let the candidates duke it out in a robust primary and see who ends up on top?

ReneePA on April 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

tnarch on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

These days Newt is doing what he thinks is politically expedient like photo ops with Pelosi and buying into the whole global warming thing. I think that he has lost a lot of integrity. That happens to people when they get power if they don’t take care to stay humble and keep their egos in check. He did good things in the past but what has he done lately? He endorsed Dede Scozzofava lest you forget.

ReneePA on April 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM

But then, you know that…

Gohawgs on April 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I do Gingrich’s resignation was a private failing that reflected on his office. He resigned in disgrace, but it was a noble act to spare the party and the country the stigma of his mistakes.

Palin’s was an inabilty to understand her opponents and head off trouble. Palin’s problem was inexperience and lack of political ability.

Everyone always says, well what else could she do?… By that time she had already failed to gain the allies and come up with a way to beat them. That is what leaders do. She isn’t the first, nor will she be the last who was forced from office because of spurious lawsuits. (See Fife Symington, AZ)

And it is never the politican’s fault. But it is the politician’s failure.

I also find it strange that people think Washington DC will treat Palin with kid gloves once she is in the Whitehouse.

Alaska politics is mild compared with DC.

petunia on April 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM