Hot Air Candidate Approval results

posted at 9:30 am on April 19, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

I’m going to start off with the Presidential picks even though it’s secondary to our main purpose, and then get to the nitty gritty in the rest of the data. As always, contact me if you have questions or comments; the number of approaches I could take to highlight the data are nearly endless, so tell me if you have a particular wrinkle in mind. 7222 readers participated in the survey.

Sarah Palin once again leads the Primary race among Hot Air readers. She is again followed by Herman Cain in second. Tim Pawlenty and Mitch Daniels take third and fourth place respectively, while Mitt Romney leads a very tight pack of Rand Paul and Michele Bachmann, in fifth.

As always, the numbers are pretty consistent month to month, with the candidate spread widening as people leave the field and votes get reassigned.

There are a lot of ways to look at the favorability data, so since I’ve laid out the overall vote already, let’s start that way. As a reminder, favorability questions were based on a 1-to-7 scale, with 7 being the highest mark.

The blue line is the overall approval average of a candidate. The red line is a peer average — that is, the candidate’s favorability with those who said they voted for someone else. You’ll note that the peer average is always lower than the overall average, since candidates’ supporters have an interest in giving their person marks higher than everyone else.

Supporters on average gave their candidate a rating of 6.49. Non-supporters on average gave those candidates a 3.60 rating. The field as a whole was rated at 3.76, or roughly average-to-below average.

The following chart is sorted by average supporter rating. For what it’s worth, I think it’s fair to call this a measure of supporter “intensity.”

This next graph is the same as the graph above, but rearranged by peer average.

One bar sticks way out. Sarah Palin is well-liked at Hot Air even among those who don’t support her for President, but I think a lot of the flame wars that break out in the comments section are a result of this approval/intensity disparity. Lots of strong Palin supporters skew the overall average up, but when you remove those voters, you get an idea of where everyone else is at. You’ll also note that the farther to the left you go on this chart, the greater the “grassroots rockstar,” but approval doesn’t always translate into votes. Compare to the totals at the top of this post.

Since Donald Trump is presently newsworthy, I’ll also point out that he’s the second-least favored candidate in the Hot Air field. The least favored is, surprisingly, Jon Huntsman, who I didn’t think had yet garnered a high enough profile to illicit that kind of a distinction. We’ll see if that changes going forward.

The overall results follow for each candidate, broken down by rating. Again, this is without supporters removed.

We’ll do another formal Presidential survey in just a few weeks. Stay tuned.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

honest question. Do you think Palin would be the force she is if she would have stayed in AK become bankrupt and sat out the 2010 elections?

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Not to mention the state time and resources that would have continued being wasted on the frivolous lawsuits and ethics complaints. They were starting to eat up the majority of Palin’s and her staffers’ time. Not really possible to govern under those circumstances, is it?

I wonder what Huckles the Revival Clown would have done under similar circumstances.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Hey Aitch, Do you believe the Journalistas just disbanded and wandered off? I suspect a good number of them can be found by an IP search trolling at HA.

bigmike on April 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Some days I wonder.

Aitch748 on April 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Meanwhile, Mlive.com is digging around about a certain politican’s BC. NO, not Obama’s, Mitt’s BC. W MILTON ROMNEY reporting for duty America?

bigmike on April 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I’m trying to kick free, but where else can one go?

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I hear you.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Just couldn’t stand seeing unseen getting credit for all the laughs, could you guys?

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Honest answer: It depends on what kind of “force” you’re talking about.

If by “force” you mean her ability to raise funds an excite the base, then no, I don’t think she’d be where she is today without resigning.

However, if by “force” you mean someone with the potential to run for President and win anytime in the near future (i.e. next 2-3 election cycles), then I would argue she would be much more of a force if she’d chosen to stick it out for the remainder of her term.

Personally, I’m plenty content with having her play the role of kingmaker/cheerleader/fundraiser, etc., so I have little problem with her decision. I just realize it crippled her chances of winning the Republican nomination and, more importantly, the general.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM

The final straw for her was when they started to place ethics charges against her staff. I’m sure Mitt and huck wouldn’t mind seeing their co-wokers go through bankruptcy.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

And yet the Palin hate appears to be strong in HA regularly.

Just goes to show you that the loudest voices are not necessarily the most voices.

fossten on April 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Its always the same idiots/trolls/whatever. With the same
non talking points. No facts; just blathering on and on.

Amjean on April 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

By force I mean someone that got 64 candidates elected, that has shaped the narrative of the 2010 election. Has millions of supporters able to raise millions to fund her and other campaigns. And stands a great chance of winning the GOP nomination.

All that points to her resignation as a very good politcal move.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM

If I had been Palin & was faced with all of tose lawsuits that I had to defend against & risk bankrupting my family, as well as getting in the way of my job, I would have left, too.
For instance, I am looking at leaving my job & taking the job at a nearby HS.
I thought I’d be working here til I died.
I’ve done everything I can to change things here & nothing works.
Some would call it running away.
Bcs I would be leaving this school in the lurch for a science teacher, which will cause these kids to suffer.
Bcs chances are they’ll either get no one, or a flunkee.
But I am choosing to do this, & hopefully they can match my pay so I can leave to go over there, bcs I can’t really get anything done here the way things are run, which are out of my control.
So if Palin was truly being sued & it was getting in the way of her job as Gov & she would have had to spend millions on her own defense, then how many of you would not have resigned?
Who could have withstood that?
And was it beetr for her family & the state to resign?
I believe it was.
But you can never please some people.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Then you shouldn’t mind that I’m ignoring your voice and voting for her should she be a choice in my state’s primary. She doesn’t stand a chance, so it’s just a wasted primary vote, right?

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Sorry about my horrible typing. My keyboard is very sticky.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

And here I thought Ryan was talking about Obama all this time…

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM

SO you are OK with Huck’s call to raise taxes?

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I guess I’m gonna have to spell this out for you. Maybe this will help (from Wikipedia):

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent’s position.

Thus, by joking that Ryan was actually referring to you when he called Obama a “pyromaniac in a field of straw men,” I was insinuating that your claim that Huck is calling for raising taxes is a straw man argument.

Straw man arguments aren’t typically worth refuting, because there’s nothing there to refute.

If I’m going to have to go back and simplify every comment I make here just to help you keep up, this is gonna get really old really fast.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

All that points to her resignation as a very good politcal move.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM

As I suspected, your definition of “force,” in Palin’s case, doesn’t match reality.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Yep. I could care less who you vote for.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Everyone understood that you were calling it a straw man argument. But what you don’t seem to understand is that in the quote unseen posted, Huck is affirming the belief that taxes should be raised to pay for government services. What say you?

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

You have reality confused with opinion. Specifically, your opinion.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Yep. I could care less who you vote for.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Then you’d better hope and pray that I really am in a minority of primary voters. Cause there are a hella lot more people who are in the ABO crowd than would stay home and not vote for Palin in the general.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Huckabee, though, isn’t just disputing the attacks: He questions the Republican Party’s anti-tax orthodoxy.

“I never understood when it became a mark of conservatism to run up debt on your children’s credit card instead of biting the bullet and paying your own bills,” Huckabee said, noting that Ronald Reagan was less than pure on the topic.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:55 PM

cschande, you still haven’t answered my question: why no more “Sledding with Huckabee?”

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Yep. I could care less who you vote for.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I’d vote for Palin in the general in a heartbeat, I just hope it doesn’t come to that because I don’t think she has any semblance of a chance at beating Obama. Fortunately, though, it doesn’t look like it’ll come to that, even assuming she runs.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM

None of this delusional devotion makes her a viable candidate.

Meredith on April 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

But it does pretty much guarantee an atomic-sized fundraising bomb …and lots of volunteers to man phones, go door-to-door, confront relatives, get out the vote, correct mis-perceptions on blogs, and argue with liberal idiots…

I won’t do that with any of the other candidates. I will for Palin.

dominigan on April 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM

On the basis of this statement alone, I can’t understand why you are being such an enormous douchebag. Assuming that Palin does make it through the primaries, Obama’s success against Palin would hinge on whether you and people like you are in a minority, feeling the way you do!

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM

georgealbert on April 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM

So I have a serious question.

Does anyone else Like Palin, but can’t stand her voice?

It has nothing to do with the dialect.

It has to do with the octave.

I have often thought that the best male singers in the world cannot compete with the best female singers.

Womens voices just sound better.

But making a political speech…

I swear its like fingernails on a chalkboard.

(Although, i think Backmann doesn’t suffer this so much.)

It makes me cringe. I have to check the transcripts to find out what was said because i can’t listen to the speech.

I feel log a dog and someone is blowing the high pitch whistle.

Make it stop plz.

Anyway the question:

Does anyone else feel this way?

And are women immune to this?

Thune on April 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM

You are 100% correct about Palin’s voice. I am an extremely strong Palin supporter; my mind is made up that
she will be the best president; I researched her record
in Alaska, like her strength and conservative values, adherence to the constitution, etc. She is the real deal.
If one looks at her record she has always done what is best for the citizens, either of Wasilla or of the state of Alaska. She also is fearless; she does not cower to union bosses, protestors, Obama, etc. I like that steel spine.

However, I do not follow anyone blindly; I research records
and carefully analyze situations. If critique is necessary,I will give it with good intentions. I cannot stand it when she screeches. It is like
fingernails on a blackboard, chalkboard, whatever.

She had had two years to correct this problem. I am getting
concerned; it may not seem like an important issue, however,
it really is critical. How can one get their message out if people don’t want to listen and turn the channel or tune her voice out?

There are those that say, “That’s Palin’s natural voice;
people should just learn to like it”. I say no. If my
boss told me that I was one of the finalists for the top
job, however, one of the things that was holding me back
was a screeching voice, I would hire a voice coach that day. What is stopping her? I hope it is not arrogance.

Amjean on April 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Sorry, to deprive you steebo. The video was intended mainly for friends and fellow Huck supporters as a means of sharing a laugh. When it became a substitute for substantive arguments for commenters who disagree with me here at HA, I took it down. You’re welcome to continue to use its prior availability online as a substitute for substantive arguments, though. It just comes across a little weak.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

STRAWMAN?

As is this a strawman?

Huckabee questions anti-tax orthodoxy -
Ben Smith:

i never understood when it became a mark of conservatism to run up debt on your children’s credit card instead of biting the bullet and paying your own bills,” Huckabee said, noting that Ronald Reagan was less than pure on the topic.

and for your cluelessness the “biting the bullet” is referring to raising taxes.

SO Since You man huck is for raising taxes or in his words biting the bullet I want to kow if you are also for raising taxes.

that is not a strawman that is called a question.

DO you support huck’s call to raise taxes?

Do you think we should have to bite the bullet and raise taxes?

Maybe you don’t understand what a strawman argument is.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM

It just comes across a little weak.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

So does the whole “I’d vote for her in the general, but she hasn’t got a chance” business.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM

No, Huck is affirming the belief that you have to offset higher spending somehow. You can’t just let our debt spiral out of control, as Republicans have been doing for years, without taking responsibility for the mess you created. His preferred solution is to cut spending, but if that’s not an option, raising taxes can be a better alternative than running up debt without any plans to pay it down.

Huck understands what it means to govern. It’s a lot tougher than standing in the legislature and taking votes you’ll never have to actually live with.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Yeah. Sometimes it involves granting violent criminals clemency, and then disavowing yourself of the whole process when bloodshed results.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Um, no, it’s called living in the real world. I’d vote for myself in the general, too, if I were the only Republican on the ticket, but, alas, I don’t have a chance.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

DO you support huck’s call to raise taxes?

Do you think we should have to bite the bullet and raise taxes?

Maybe you don’t understand what a strawman argument is.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM

He didn’t call for a tax hike. He said running up tons of debt while refusing to do anything to offset it should not be the definition of conservative.

I happen to agree.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Thank you for understanding.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM

No huck was DEFENDING his tax increases in Ark. He made choices to raise taxes to close the budget in Ark. Since he could never cut spending and never vetoed increas spending.

Huck just said that he would place tax increases on the table if he can’t get spending cuts to pay for the increased spending.

Huck just came out with his Mondale plan. he is done.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Then “living in the real world” means that Palin has a > 0 chance of winning if she makes it through the primaries. Living in the real world also means that only a fraction of voters vote in primaries. I’m not sure how it will wash out, as I’m not a pollster, but badmouthing Palin’s supporters on the basis of polls is just plain stupid.

And besides that, as a Huck supporter, don’t even try to tell us that you aren’t in the least bit biased.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Thank you for understanding.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

You do realize, that is probably THE #1 reason that I won’t be pulling the primary lever for Huck, right?

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Um, no, it’s called living in the real world selling out.
cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

That’s what we call it where I come from. Of course, this is IMHO.
But there’s a reason America gets all these chumps voted in in the 1st place.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Huck just came out with his Mondale plan. he is done.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Just like he was done after the whole Clemmons story blew up right. I mean, he’s probably running like in 5th place by now in Iowa after that story, right? Oh, wait, Huck’s still leading by double digits in Iowa. That’s Palin who’s running 5th in Iowa. Stupid Iowa caucus voters must not have heard that speech she gave in Wisconsin, I guess, right? If only they knew she’s running!

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM

THIS.
And how many eligible voters even vote in the national election?
America has a dearth of dutiful citizens.
It is pathetic.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Did I try to tell you I’m not in the least bit biased? Alright, I’ll come clean: as a Huck supporter, I am at least in the least bit biased. How was that?

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Do you remember what happened in Iowa in 1980? No, of course you don’t! Name the last president who won Iowa and went on to lock up the nomination.

/crickets

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Huck is a slimy piece of dung, IMHO.
His treatment of the Mormon religion was extremley insulting.
But maybe perhaps the voter base he appeals to doesn’t mind that behavior.
I personally do.
The man is poison & he disgusts me.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM

And how many eligible voters even vote in the national election?
America has a dearth of dutiful citizens.
It is pathetic.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I don’t feel so bad about that. It used to bother me, until I realized that a vast majority of Americans don’t belong anywhere near a voting booth for lack of basic criticial thinking skills and elementary school-level civics education.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Huck is a slimy piece of dung, IMHO.
His treatment of the Mormon religion was extremley insulting.
But maybe perhaps the voter base he appeals to doesn’t mind that behavior.
I personally do.
The man is poison & he disgusts me.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I’m not a LDS church member, but I do think Huck’s dismissal of Mormonism hurt him in ’08.

By the by, how come we have so many ’08 retreads running again? What’s changed that they couldn’t secure the nomination in ’08, but they could now? Color me underwhelmed.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

It’s interesting to know you think a man like Huck is a good fit for the leadership of the free world.
I know there are a lot of people who say oh don’t judge someone.
I do prefer to judge a man by his religion & his politics, as well as those he supports & surrounds himself with.
I do not find Huck appealing at all.
He leaves me feeling dirty everytime I hear him talk.
Let us not even consider the votes McCain drew to him bcs of Palin./

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I do not find Huck appealing at all.
He leaves me feeling dirty everytime I hear him talk.
Let us not even consider the votes McCain drew to him bcs of Palin./

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I’ve got two words for you Huck Schmucks out there:

Elmer

Gantry

Thank you. That is all.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Um, no, it’s called living in the real world selling out.
cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

That’s what we call it where I come from. Of course, this is IMHO.
But there’s a reason America gets all these chumps voted in in the 1st place.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I have other reasons for not supporting Sarah. If we didn’t have any electable conservatives, she might be my pick. But we do.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I actually think THEY are the ones doing the voting.
Dems with their bus rides to the polls & free ciggies & stuff.
It would explain a lot.

Color me underwhelmed.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I am too.
I want someone who is sincere.
I do not need fancy speeches & pretty lights & wonderful speaking voices etc.
God forbid a mute would ever want to run for POTUS.
Can you imagine if the most perfect POTUS candidate in the history of the world came to the forefront & lost their voice in an accident?
Oh Heaven’s people wouldn’t accept him/her bcs they could ‘sell’ themselves to the gullible public!
People are so disgustingly shallow!

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Sarah’s my #1 choice. Not my only one, but she is my first, based on her ability to represent my beliefs and interests. If raising taxes and releasing violent felons represents your beliefs and interests, knock yourself out Huck Schmuck.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Was it a ford truck or a GM truck. My bet is it is a Governmental motors truck

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM

You’re right. It was a GMC – Government Motors.

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I like how Palin threads get 500 posts or more, while all the other 2012 wannabes never even come close. This is not just a HotAir phenomenon, but seams to be consistent on all the political blogs. It sure looks like She is driving the debate.

idesign on April 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

People are so disgustingly shallow!

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

And we’re arguing with a shining example of that right now.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Reagan was a “retread.” Your ignorance or complete dismissal of history is amusing.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

And Huck still can’t raise any money. Imagine that. After his Mondale Paln I’m thinking his fund raising just become worse.

Believe PPP at your own risk.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM

You’re right. It was a GMC – Government Motors.

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

figures Mitt can’t even get the right truck to send the right message. I thought his people were “pros”

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Very interesting.
I now understand what you are.
And I know there are many like you.
The soft push to legislate all morality.
No good ever comes from that kind of meddling.
And I still find it disgusting & morally repugnant the way Huck treated Mormons in the public eye.
I do not talk like that about Catholics or Evangelists or Baptists.
He is slime.
Sorry. But I am still disgusted the way he treated Romney over his religion.
There was no place for it.
Huck showed his true colors that day.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM

And the Palin detractors’ selective dismissal of 1980 is rather disingenuous, don’t you think? Goose, meet gander.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM

If we didn’t have any electable conservatives, she might be my pick. But we do.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Explain to me again how raising taxes, increasing spending and allowing criminals out on the street is conservative again?

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Huck doesn’t have half the sense Reagan did.
I don’t elevate Reagan to God-like status.
But the man had a clear mission.
If you knew about his life, from Hollywood Lib to Conservative & his views on communism, you would be happy for such a retread.
Huck has no such driving force in his life.
Reagan was extremley passionate abt getting rid of communism.
And he did it.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Huck should primary Obama he seems like more a dem to me anyhow.

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Just listened to Martha McCallum (subbing for Megan Kelly) interviewing Talker Mike Gallagher in a segment about how the GOP establishment hates Trump. He said American is ready for someone who is not blessed by the establishment, who is tough and fights. Trump wouldn’t be his first choice. Then he added this gem, “THAT’S WHY I”LL BE SUPPORTING SARAH PALIN IF SHE RUNS FOR PRESIDENT.”

idesign on April 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Interesting that some people are out there still saying we need a strong candidate that will take O on and be unafraid to take the fight to him. Everytime I hear that I wonder if those folks have been living in a cave for the past two years while Palin has been taking the fight to him every chance she gets. There is a reason she is winning in polls such as HA because those many conservatives who support her have been listening to what she has to say and they agree with her.

If the cave dwellers are in doubt about who the real fighter is after that speech in Wisconsin there really isn’t much hope for their future as political pundits.

Done That on April 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM

People are so disgustingly shallow!

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

And we’re arguing with a shining example of that right now.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Yep, 3-4 against 1, and you’re doing so incredibly swell.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

/crickets

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Is that supposed to be a trick question? Let’s see, the first answer that comes to mind is our current President, but I guess you’re probably thinking Republican candidates. Which then brings to mind W., Dole, and Gerald Ford, who all won the caucuses and went on to lock up the GOP nomination. As to 1980, you’re right that H.W. beat out Reagan and Reagan went on to win the nomination anyway, but Bush Senior came back to win the nomination the next time he ran.

Given that precedent, then, I guess your argument either proves if Huck wins Iowa this year he’ll win the nomination (see W., Dole, and Ford), or that he’ll win the nomination no matter what happens in Iowa this year since he won there last time he ran (see Bush Senior).

Just keep making my arguments for me. As long as you follow them up with “/crickets,” I’m sure no one will notice.

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Let’s not forget tuition breaks for illegals.

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM
Let’s not forget tuition breaks for illegals.

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Oh yeah. forgot that one. Anyone here still think huck is a republican?

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Nice try, liar.

Palin On Abortion: I’d Oppose Even If My Own Daughter Was Raped

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM

But what you fail to mention is that in three out of the nine Iowa Republican caucuses since 1976, the respective candidates campaigned unopposed. If you only count the contested caucuses, then two of the remaining six went on to win — and that leaves two-thirds of the contested caucuses in which the winner did not, in fact, go on to secure the nomination.

I read this as meaning that the Iowa caucuses have been fading in importance over the last 35 years… And in any event, the caucus winner is at best a dubious indicator of future political success.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Well, it’s been fun kids. It’s not every day I get to go toe-to-toe with 3-4 Palinistas at once. I do have exams I need to be studying for, though, so please do forgive me if I fail to respond to your ensuing, “But you didn’t respond to all of my baseless claims that Huck’s not a conservative!” comments.

You’re such an understanding bunch. ;)

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Hey Badger, I took a look at that as well, an evangelical law student, Winning The Future?

bigmike on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

NOOOO!!!!
Not Sarah Palin. Why not just hand Obama a second term. There is no hope. Why did I become a republican?!

76United on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

You’re such an understanding bunch. ;)

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Standard ABP MO: I’ll ignore them and just claim they’re baseless. Even you can do better than that, douchebag.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

NOOOO!!!!

76United on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Why are you crapping your drawers over a non-scientific straw poll?

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Why did I become a republican?!
76United on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Who is your candidate of choice, out of the field listed in the survey?

kingsjester on April 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM

76United on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Two questions:

1) If Palin wins the Republican nomination, and loses the general election, what reasons would the majority of voters give for preferring Obama’s vision of what life in the US should be like over Palin’s?

2) Based on those answers, should I continue to care what happens to the people of the United States?

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

What does Palin say here that convinced you she’s not sufficently conservative on social issues? I really fail to see what you could possibly object to.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM

“GOP establishment hates Trump”

idesign

I think they liked him well enough when they didn’t take him seriously and believed they could use him to suck the attention air out of the media and they thought he would hurt Palin and that would be to the benefit of a RINO – only it backfired on them big time because they can’t control him and now they have to figure out how to bring him down. IMO Rush is playing the RINOs for the fools that they are by giving Trump air time.

Done That on April 19, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I don’t know why they’re so butthurt over the thought of Palin winning the primaries, but whatevs. Unlike most of them, I have a favorite candidate and a backup plan.

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

The thought of Palin winning the primary and thus losing a chance for us to get rid of Obama is disheartening. The reality is that Palin wont win the primary. She is a quitter and people don’t abide quitters.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I believe this is the guy from Utah that was appointed as Ambassador to China by Obama? Just the fact that Obama even ask him to serve in his administration was reason enough for me to feel negatively towards him, not to mention that he actually said yes. The guy just looks like a snake.

Susanboo on April 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM

76United on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Did you??…become a republican I mean.

tencole on April 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM

She is a quitter and people don’t abide quitters.

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Marxists, socialized medicine advocates, VAT proponents, felony sentence commuters, and Cap and Trade proponents they will abide. But quitters is where the line is drawn, friends. /

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM

csdeven on April 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Do you ever say anything new? Repeating the same “arguments,” almost word-for-word, on every Palin thread has yet to yield any results for you. Maybe you should rethink the tack you’re taking. You know the definition of insanity…

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Bcs there will never be an end to the American Electorate’s stupidity until we hit rock bottom.
I mean really hit rock bottom.
This is the only way America will learn.
And that is the hard way.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM

This is a compelling argument. At the same time, “rock bottom” may be either a conceit or an irreversible condition as it pertains to socialism’s contamination.

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

And how many eligible voters even vote in the national election?
America has a dearth of dutiful citizens.
It is pathetic.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

gryphon202 on April 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM

All true, but if someone doesn’t vote their name becomes available for some ACORN-type to steal their vote, and all those stolen votes are democratic. We need voter-ID.

slickwillie2001 on April 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM

NOOOO!!!!

76United on April 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

How’s ’bout instead of Sarah we nominate one of those RINO girly men who is scared to death of the media, will refuse to question Obama for fear of being called a racist and, if elected, will fold faster than John Boehner? That will work real well.

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM

cschande on April 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I’m a Palinista bcs I stick up for her?
WTF is wrong with you?
I happen to like her, but I’m certainly not in love with her & I won’t defend her if I think she is wrong.
I wasn’t picking on you.
You are welcome to your opinion.
And if you love Huck so much that is your business.
But I, & many others here at HA, & elsewhere, find his track record pathetic, his character less than desirable, &
methods undesirable.
And i still find it disgusting how he attacked Romney over his religion.
It is true I’m LDS, but I’m not active & I’d say the same thing if he said things like that about Catholics.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Well over 50% of the country simply doesn’t like her.
Meredith on April 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Says who? That figure is BS, if created by a pollster it must have been ABC/WaPo. Here is a more accurate poll: look at the elections of people Mrs. Palin supported. Take Kelly Ayotte for example. (roundly defeated a RINO and a socialist)

dogsoldier on April 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

We need voter-ID.

slickwillie2001 on April 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Here in ND you have to present your ID to vote.
It’s state law.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Obviously it’s disappointing to see Sarah under 50% but at least she has 5 times the support of her major competitors for the nomination. I just don’t want her to have to waste too many resources in the primaries. Hopefully she will have it wrapped up by mid-March.

Ted Torgerson on April 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

idesign on April 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Actually, I agree. The only really interested people right now are Palin people. That is what the poll shows. The really intense people are Palin people.

But also conflict drives numbers on threads. Sarah is a big source of conflict within the party. The debate is rarely about issues. We seem to agree about issues, it only about personalities.

And without a few of us dissenting there would be nothing to say.

The strong advocacy of her personally makes it hard to have a discussion. But easy to have a fight.

Huck showed his true colors that day.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I appreciate that.

I have done my best to put 2008 behind me and move on. I forgive Huckabee. I still have a kernel of doubt about his character, but he is who he is.

I’m not cheering for him so far, and it will be hard if he wins the Primary. But he is better than Obama. They are all better than Obama.

Huck has been smart to become a celebrity… even though I dont’t watch him.

It’s sort of like someone above said about Palin’s voice. Huckabee’s voice is also one that is hard to listen too for very long.

Between Palin and Huck on social issues… Palin has been consistent in her rhetoric, but she only had a couple of years to practice what she preaches so it is hard to tell, who knows if she had the same problems as Arkansas…

It is impossible to say that one candidate is substantially more conservative than another if their stated position is the same. Because some people have been tried and others haven’t.

Huck’s letting go the criminals, that is very bad. Because he seemed to place his opinion about the guy’s repentance over the law. That is a problem.

Between Huck and Palin. Huck wins on experience hands down. But in the end if it was just those two? I don’t know. I guess there is a residual bad feeling or two about Huck that might just make the difference. And there is plenty of fault to find with his record. If I want to find it. Palin might edge him.

I hope it is someone new.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM

cschande’s position and support of Huckabee is somewhat understandable — cschande went to Harding Univ. in Searcy, and apparently looks on Huck (a former Baptist preacher) as someone worthy of emulating (correct me if I’m mistaken, Chris). Huck being an Arkansan also seems to be in play…

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM

ROFLMAO….

this guy’s fear of gov Palin is writ large:

When Sarah Palin went to speak at the Republican convention two years back, a hurricane came in and shut it down. But I suppose it was just a coincidence that hundreds of tornadoes swept across the South when she gave her Wisconsin speech last week. Something to watch, like the apocalypse. When I was raising my kids there in lower Appalachia, apocalypse was well on the minds of the local radio preacher shamans in the mountains and in the serpent-handling so-called “primitive” churches in the hollows, and without question it shadowed the judgment of the born-again George W. Bush and what might have been called then the “GOP establishment.”

unseen on April 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Once someone has chosen to keep their Down Syndrome child, it’s safe to assume they walk the talk on social issues. No need to wonder if they would have changed course a few more years down the road imo.

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Its always the same idiots/trolls/whatever. With the same
non talking points. No facts; just blathering on and on.

Amjean on April 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Except you’re lying your a$$ off. You have been confronted with incontrovertible, adverse facts about her on multiple occasions. Each time you responded with angry denials and personal insults. You’re not alone among Palians. In fact you’re predictably, boringly common.

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

You’re not banned yet? That’s a shame.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Well over 50% of the country simply doesn’t like her.
Meredith on April 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I really don’t know how anyone can say with such utter certainly what ANYONE’s ‘likability’ truly is with any accuracy.
Polls are pretty worthless.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It’s not my job to forgive him for his religious bigotry.
I just find such behavior disgusting in a presidential candidate.

Wait! What’s that smell? It’s that smelly smell. It’s….troll $hit.
I knew something stunk.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Over 90% of parents with a fetus diagnosed with the liklihood of Downs Syndrome opt for abortion.

When asked about pardons and commutations as governor, Palin said she really didn’t get many requests because “people knew where I stood.”

bw222 on April 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Kataklysmic on April 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Yes she gets points for living this in her personal life.

But that is not what other candidates are judged on. She has called herself a libertarian I think. So does that mean she likes gay marriage. I mean of course she has to say she doesn’t because that is the right answer. But being a libertarian pretty much includes gay marriage.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Banned? Of course not. What put that thought in to your empty skull, aside from wishful thinking? Wishful because I know you hate having your ignorant comments torn to bits by a rational mind. It must truly suck to be you, how do you stand it?

Anyway, I’m not going anywhere, so your usual “shut up” will continue to be the lamest of all arguments.

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

It’s not my job to forgive him for his religious bigotry.
I just find such behavior disgusting in a presidential candidate.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I know, but it is sort of mine… considering.

Don’t call me a troll. It’s annoying. I am no more a troll than you.

petunia on April 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I do not talk like that about Catholics or Evangelists or Baptists.
He is slime.
Sorry. But I am still disgusted the way he treated Romney over his religion.
There was no place for it.
Huck showed his true colors that day.

Badger40 on April 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Mike Huckabee’s Anti-Catholic Problem

Back in June, in the build-up to the Ames Straw Poll, a Huckabee supporter, Rev. Tim Rude, sent out a blast e-mail containing the following:

Huckabee is an Evangelical. He has not learned how to speak to Evangelicals; i.e. Bush 41 & 43. He is one of us. I know Senator Brownback converted to Roman Catholicism in 2002.
Frankly, as a recovering Catholic myself, that is all I need to know about his discernment when compared to the Governor’s. I don’t know if this fact is widely known among Evangelicals who are supporting Brownback. (Emphasis added)

In the days that followed, the Brownback campaign asked Huckabee to join them in condemning Rude’s email.

He never did.

It should have been apparent then, as it is now, that Huckabee does not understand the reality of lingering anti-Catholic attitudes among some Evangelicals and other religious groups. If he did, he would never have accepted the invitation to speak at Hagee’s church.

But the problem does not stop with Hagee and Rude. Campaigning with Huckabee in Iowa has been one of the most prominent leaders of the Religious Right, Dr. Tim LaHaye, author of the popular Left Behind novels.

Carl Olson has documented the anti-Catholic comments throughout LaHaye’s writing, including the Left Behind series. The following quote should suffice to represent LaHaye’s point of view:

The Church of Rome denies the finished work of Christ but believes in a continuing sacrifice that produces such things as sacraments and praying for the dead, burning candles, and so forth. All of these were borrowed from mystery Babylon, the mother of all pagan customs and idolatry, none of which is taught in the New Testament (Revelation Unveiled, 1999, 66-67).

Someone needs to ask Huckabee if, along with the “pro-Nazi” label, he would refuse to describe the Catholic Church as “Babylonian.”

Catholics have long formed part of the ground troops of the Religious Right. Leaders like Robertson, Falwell, Reed, and Dobson have made sure that the anti-Catholic element among Evangelicals would not deter Catholics from joining the coalition.

There is nothing that will drive a Catholic voter away from a candidate quicker than a whiff of the prejudice that hounded their ancestors since the days of the Thirteen Colonies. So why is Huckabee tone deaf to this important issue for Catholic voters? Is it because, as one commentator points out, he comes from a state with the third-lowest percentage of Catholics?

Huckabee claims to be very comfortable with Catholics, says that he has worked with Catholics, and has Catholics in his campaign, including his campaign manager.

That is fine and good, but what happens when Catholic voters start to hear that some of his biggest supporters think the Catholic Church “denies the finished work of Christ,” is the product of Babylonian mysteries, and is the source of anti-Semitism, including that of Hitler?

Catholic voters will want more than the stale “Catholics are some of my best friends” explanation.

steebo77 on April 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM

That sword cuts two ways, fossten. HotAir is not exactly an American election bellwhether, is it?

And as for “Palin hate” here, don’t be silly. She is adored here, almost universally, even among those of us who will not support her as a candidate for President (me).

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM

While I don’t ‘adore’ the gentlelady from AK-I certainly think shes a good woman and a good conservative.
Btw: On the + side my husband seems to gotten over his support for the Gentlelady’s canidacy -the downside is that he’s now favoring Trump(not for the birther BS) or Newt.
I told him that T-Paw is the man-but noooo, Mr. Twerp has to be difficult. LoL