Bad news: Obama messes with Texas

posted at 4:13 pm on April 19, 2011 by Allahpundit

Or rather, Texas — in the form of local reporter Brad Watson — messes with him. Here’s the obligatory clip for the benefit of the three readers who haven’t already seen it today on Drudge or at the Blaze. Most of the media buzz is devoted to O’s peevish parting shot about letting him finish, but the exchange about the Space Shuttle is what had me guffawing. Watch as the atmosphere in the room transforms before your very eyes. Ah well — you know how cranky old people can be.

Considering how Trump sailed to the top of the polls based on confrontationalism towards Obama and little else, I assume Watson’s now our frontrunner for vice president. Exit question: If The One’s written off Texas, why did he bother giving an interview to a local station?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This day in history, 1775, the American revolution began.

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM

that’s right! I was trying to remember what this date was famous for. Thanks! I thought it was the OKC bombing too.

ted c on April 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Channel 8 makes the national blogs…way to go BRAD! Yea, he can be a tool, but he’s typically a good reporter. I don’t know what the deal was with Broden – it shouldn’t have happened like that. John (the guy introducing the clip) seems to have gotten a kick out of it.

Mr. Thin Skin (and Hair, apparently). I enjoyed this. ALOT!

Yellowdog12 on April 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

hey oblambo, screw you pal, you big jerk!

long_cat on April 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM

‘Cause he’s Stoopid?

Robert17 on April 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Last election even the yellow dog democrats (Charlie Stenholm)were hurt by Obama. Yellow dogs are what our parents used to be, ala Zell Miller, and would make pretty good more liberal Republicans. If people like Stenholm were ousted, I can’t see Texas going blue in the near future. It may, however, down the line.

silvernana on April 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I really don’t think Mr. Obama was that testy at all. The off-mike comment at the end was frank but subdued. I would’ve said the same thing. oh well.

ted c on April 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Watching all the lefty blowback against News 8′s Brad Watson on their official website and everywhere else this video is posted makes me smile. Because unless that guy had some kind of road to Damascus conversion since I moved out of the WFAA viewing area, Watson’s been a garden variety liberal TV reporter for 20+ years, just like most everyone else working at the local O&Os in DFW.

Now if Mike Snyder on KXAS was still around and had done this, then yeah… I freely admit that’d been totally a partisan attack. But Watson at WFAA?

Blue on blue, baby. Own it, lefties! Own it!

ScottMcC on April 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Sorry, OT – but Pajamas Media is breaking a story that Obama will be enacting the anti-free speech Disclose Act via executive order.

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

The conservatives at WFAA hide in the closet… totally liberal newsroom. btw, WFAA is not an O&O.

itsacookbook on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

There is no way this president could take the sort of press George Bush had to deal with. He’s never been subjected to it and, on the extremely rare occasion when he isn’t treated like royalty, he reacts awkwardly.

Wouldn’t it be an awakening for the press to vet this guy, 4 years too late!!!

bflat879 on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Hilarious is the media coverage of this. “The usually even-keeled” Obama almost never gets any serious questions or confrontation. The jug earred baby will cry if this happens anymore. Bring it on, journalists (if there are an left).

clnurnberg on April 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM

BOR is droning on about this. I actually agree with Alan Colmes (Lord, help me) in that this is a big nuttin burger.

ted c on April 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Don’t be sorry. That’s important.

It’s also impeachable, IMHO.

INC on April 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM

They must have edited that piece very well because I didn’t hear the reporter cutting of Obamabi on any answer. He sure didn’t seem his cocky self and blithely dismiss the Houston/shuttle story. He looked a little guilty about the whole thing….

Mallard T. Drake on April 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I don’t think anything has changed; he’s just a decent reporter. He was going after Perry accusing him of executing innocent men (and probably right) not too long ago.

phelps on April 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I heard, “Let me finish my sentences, boy!”

txhsmom on April 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

RedState adds:

In addition, as drafted, the Executive Order is to go into effect as soon as it is signed but is retroactive in requiring federal contractors to disclose all political contributions and expenditures within two years prior to the submission of their offer.

INC on April 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Wow, the squirrels are certainly out in full force here tonight…

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

He nods just as he says “I just said that was wrong (about targeting Texas).”

Lone Star, you are the bullseye.

AshleyTKing on April 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

No kiddin’.

kingsjester on April 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

In 08 McCain was a disaster… I think Trump-Palin would even out the corrupt left wing media.. “Tell is like it is”
in 2012.

Travis1 on April 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Hey Obama…

F@#$ you, pal.

Midas on April 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

He messed with Hawaii too…

Akzed on April 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Nice catch!

It is a Crime that Houston did not get a Shuttle. Can somebody tell me why New York deserves one? I don’t recall Mission Control ever being there, nor Launch Pad 30-Something.

The Museum at Wright-Pat in Ohio also deserved one.

Hell, I could even make a case that us Gomers up here in New Hampsha should have gotten one, what with Christa McAuliffe and all that, but our Museum already has a 1/4 scale version onsite, so we never asked for a real one.

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

INC on April 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM

More letters to congress tomorrow.

This is Phase One of re-election. Somewhere in this sequence will be selective shutdowns of internet. Brute power as we get closer to 2012.

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Trump takes it right to Obama and now we see the first Corrupt Media Establishment challenging of Obama. Coincidence? I don’t thin so. Now we’ll see if it’s an anomaly or a trend.

TheBigOldDog on April 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Houston New York, we have a problem?

So what the F’ you want me to do about it Pal? Screw you! It’s lunch time.

TheBigOldDog on April 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I looked up the guy who wrote the post to check his credibility, and PJM says Hans von Spakovsky is a Senior Legal Fellow at the Heritage Foundation and a former commissioner on the Federal Election Commission. I assume he knows what he’s talking about.

INC on April 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM

AshleyTKing on April 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Texas says: Bring it.

Fortunata on April 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Where was this guy when Obama was running for President?

Me likee…

Khun Joe on April 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

from one of those comments, I googled it:
NewBlackPanthers plans a rally 4/23 (google their website), “buy black only, and boycott whites businesses” in 60 cities.

What a bunch of tools, if they care so much for MotherAfrica, why don’t they all go there, setup businesses, mines, farms, and be at peace? hint: cause there are no handouts there.

Will this be the day?

orbitalair on April 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM

John (the guy introducing the clip) seems to have gotten a kick out of it.

Mr. Thin Skin (and Hair, apparently). I enjoyed this. ALOT!

Yellowdog12 on April 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I recall liking John back in the day when I lived down there.

I hope Bill O’Reilly brings in Tanye to check Dumbo’s body language – in particular at the end with those gangsta like movements, just before they cut to his backside as he berates Brad for cutting him off.

AH_C on April 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Nobody admits they voted for Obama in Texas. The ridicule & scorn is just too much to endure.

redridinghood on April 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM

What a sawed-off little runt our dear leader is.
“Waaaa, that reporter was mean to me!”
So, can’t take the tough questions, huh?
Well, they’re gonna get a lot tougher pal.
Obama disgusts me.

gordo on April 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

aye carumba….

cmsinaz on April 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Redridinghood,
Before the election, a FEW people I work with talked very openly about supporting Obama and fought his case often. Very quickly they were strangely quiet. Nary a peep from any of them. EVER!

I guess it’s just too much for a liberal to admit they were wrong. Their silence says it all…..

Whippet on April 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Barry is such a sissy… Interviewers often cut off the answer and rephrase or move in a different tact… Even just start a new line. Barry is not use to REAL questioning… from anybody.
This should have be done in 2007 by the entire list of so call MSM Fourth Estate types… cept there are no real 4th estatesers any more in the MSM…

RalphyBoy on April 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I’ve seen Brad Watson for years. He’s a very polite and professional reporter (yes, a rarity). That Obama takes offense at him is a reflection on BHO.

WannabeAnglican on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Example of tough questioning of OBarry during the run up… Remember Stephonoplis correcting the “my Muslim religion” slip…/s

RalphyBoy on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

How’s that? He patiently and politely answered the interviewer’s questions, even though the interviewer was a) hostile, b) repeatedly asked questions after Obama already answered them, and c) asked stupid questions like “why are you so unpopular in Texas” just to get a rise out of him.

crr6 on April 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Actually, his answers were quite testy; the reporter was quite professional. You clearly have not watched the clip but have just read the talking points from the lefty blogs. Go jump in a lake.

SagebrushPuppet on April 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM

G-damn does that gladden my heart. The One gets challenged, is revealed to be the prevaricating loser he is, and we get to see his nasty side.

As if he really has any other.

I love you Texas Station Guy and Texas, too!

Remember the Alamo!

Sherman1864 on April 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Sissy in Chief

Since when do the people’s servants get to lecture the media in a representative democracy?

Go jump in a lake.

SagebrushPuppet on April 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Keep the environment clean.

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM

“I would consider myself a success if I were just a one term president.”

The culmination of 70 years of plotting against America; from the inside.

Caststeel on April 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM

rrpjr on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Obama is not going to stop with these dictates. There have been so many of them we have forgotten half of what they have attempted.

Wasn’t it cash for klunkers or something that, when you logged onto their government website to download the form to apply for the certificate or whatever, that you had to agree to having the government take over your home PC? Remember that one? Downloading the software or something effectively gave control of your home computer to Obama. It was no longer yours.

JellyToast on April 20, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Messes with Texas? He’s messing with the Republic. The Soviets destroyed themselves trying to build enough nukes to destroy the U.S. All they needed was a lying Kenyan. Think of the rubles they would have saved…Then again, they did have lots of talks with St. MLK II………….

adamsmith on April 20, 2011 at 7:24 AM

“Let me finish my answer….and another thing. Avert your eyes when you are in my presence.” (Sheesh, the insolence of these peasants!)

olesparkie on April 20, 2011 at 7:53 AM

OK I finally watched it. And I cannot say there was any reason for BO to get flippant.
I’ve heard far worse from other reporters when interviewing various other POTUSes.
It’s clear BO has a lot of disdain for the state of TX & its people.
And he does not like to be questioned in such a way that undermines his propaganda & lies.
This reporter did nothing wrong.
He was very respectful.
BO is nothing but a POS.

Badger40 on April 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM

This reporter did nothing wrong.
He was very respectful.
BO is nothing but a POS.

Badger40 on April 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM

nuff said

cmsinaz on April 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM

WFAA has posted the entire interview on their website. Reporter did nothing wrong. On the other hand, comments from Obama supporters ranged from insulting to insane.

itsacookbook on April 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Texas has always been Republican?

Wrong again, Barry. To heck with the birth certificate, what I’d love to see are his academic transcripts!

kg598301 on April 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM

When he answered the shuttle question & said he loved Texas so much, his body language could be a case study in how to tell someone is lying.

kg598301 on April 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM

kg598301 on April 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Oh it was priceless. It was the biggest bald faced lie I’ve seen him spew yet.
He clearly did not mean it at all.
I was struck by just how disgusted he was to say that.

Badger40 on April 20, 2011 at 8:40 AM

He wants to finish his answers because there will be fewer questions. Guy can deliver “War and Peace” in response to “What time is it?”

PJ Emeritus on April 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM

crr6 on April 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Boo freaking hoo. Go watch George Snuffleupagus interviewing Trump and see if you have a similar reaction. The two interviews aren’t even close in terms of hostility.

fossten on April 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM

what a complete dushbag,thinskined,ignorant,arrogant,dog licking,poop licking,mealy mouthed,snake sucking,clown.

lees on April 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM

crr6 on April 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

The reporter was not hostile.
It’s legitimate to ask him why the state of TX does not like him.
Mr Thin Skin needs to get over it.
It is perfectly fine to ask any question anyone damned well sees fit of the POTUS.
We are not peasants & he our king.
And BO was not openly hostile. He was simmeringly threatening.
And his body language belied the attitude of disgust & disrespect.

Badger40 on April 20, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Knowing the disdain that President Weakness has for Texas….I am extremely proud to call myself a Texan! Being the vote monger that he is, I’m sure we can expect an apology – in Spanish – any day now.

redwhiteblue on April 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Amazing. That wasn’t even appreciably aggressive questioning. It’s incomprehensible the extend to which this piece of narcissistic garbage has been coddled. I’d love to see him under the full fury of what Bush or even Clinton had to put up with on a regular basis, though I’m not expecting that’s going to happen.

Blacklake on April 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Mr. Thin Skin (and Hair, apparently). I enjoyed this. ALOT!

Yellowdog12 on April 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

John McCaa does some on-air commentaries (“My Take”), and some of them make us conservatives smile. Yes, they’ve gotten pretty liberal, but they’ve had strong journalism credentials going back to the mid ’70s, when the late Marty Haag took over as news director.

Ward Cleaver on April 20, 2011 at 9:48 AM

ted c on April 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I don’t know who you are, or what you’ve done to ted c, but Obama’s attitude and comments were unnecessary. While he was sitting in that little chair gettin’ sassy with a reporter, Americans were risking their very lives in 3 wars. Texas is one of the United States of America. United! What the hell kind of a leader disses his own?

redwhiteblue on April 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Remember when Bush was asked by the press if he had made any mistakes as President?

Yeah, don’t hold your breath waiting for Obama to be asked that one.

fossten on April 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

If Obama should be mad at anyone, it should be his own Senate high muckety-much Chuck Schumer. He’s the one who rubbed Houston’s face in the government’s decision to give the shuttle prototype to New York’s Intrepid Museum instead of to the Johnson Space Center.

Houston’s not Dallas, but WFAA’s parent company Belo also has a TV station in Houston, and Schumer’s taunting was so over-the-top and the decision not to give Houston a shuttle so seemingly political, there was no question it was a natural question for Watson to ask Obama. It’s the president’s problem if he can’t keep his own caucus from gloating about political decisions and then gets testy when someone questions him on the logic behind the move.

jon1979 on April 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM

jon1979 on April 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Very interesting, I had not heard that.

fossten on April 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM

All you got to do to throw this punk off his game is get in his face.

He’s grown accustomed to giving speeches, releasing statements and doing 1-2 question softball interviews where no one gets to question him. Plus he’s been “special” all his life. Teachers were soft on him, affirmative action protected him from academic scrutiny, a pc conscience society advanced him regardless of skills and experience.

This is why Trump scares him, Trump treats him like he isn’t special, Trump calls him on BS and holds him accountable..something which has never been done before in his life.

Alden Pyle on April 20, 2011 at 10:22 AM

What the hell kind of a leader disses his own?

redwhiteblue on April 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Obama is only the President of the people who voted for him. I think he truly sees it that way.

Missy on April 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM

“Shut up!” Obama thought.

roy_batty on April 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM

“I would consider myself a success if I were just a one term president.”

Caststeel on April 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM

America might be a success if he were just a one-term president.

Steve Z on April 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Kidding?

To rub it in our faces.

He’s the Ganstah from Chicagah. Dude. You ask the funniest questions.

moochy on April 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM

LOL!!!

I Love, uhhh, Texas

grosven on April 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM

ted c on April 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM

What’d he say off-mike? I can’t see the video. :-(

Mary in LA on April 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

LOL!!!

I Love, uhhh, Texas
grosven on April 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Kinda got stuck in his gullet there din’ it?

HAHAHA!

44Magnum on April 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I have to laugh at Obama’s attempt to paint Perry as a hypocrite claiming he took $6 billion from the Feds. According to the most recent numbers I can find, Texas gets back $0.94 for every dollar it sends to Washington. So let’s see of that $6 billion, $4.6 billion was not borrowed and so Texas residents actually paid about $4.8 billion in taxes for that amount; now $2.6 billion was borrowed to be paid back over the next 30 years and with Texas growth its residents will probably pay an even larger “share” of that $2.6 billion (let’s assume $0.90 on the dollar) so Texas will pay $2.9 billion for that $2.6 billion (ignoring interest) – all in, Texas pays $7.7 billion plus interest for that $6 billion Obama is talking about. You can tell Obama never has run a business.

Over50 on April 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Lone Star, you are the bullseye.

AshleyTKing on April 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM