Video: NYPD arrests man for being a smart-alec

posted at 8:48 am on April 18, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Moral of the story: The NYPD has no sense of humor. After stopping a bicyclist for riding on the sidewalk, a particular sore spot in New York, a passerby starts teasing the cyclist, saying, “You know that’s against the law!” The police then come out of their van and demand the identification of the smart-alec, turning a routine stop into a major confrontation that eventually required at least a half-dozen officers to handle. While six of New York City’s finest arrest a man for having a big mouth, another man who is obviously either drunk or stoned stumbles out into traffic — and none of the police officers bother to notice:

NYPD Arrests Guy For Cracking A Joke – Watch more Funny Videos

Video uploaded to YouTube yesterday shows a cyclist on the corner of Claver Place and Putnam Avenue in Brooklyn in the company of an NYPD van, after being stopped for riding his bicycle on the sidewalk, part of theNYPD’s sustained crakdown on cyclists. Just this morning, The New York Post reports a woman on the Upper East Side was given a ticket for riding with a tote bag strapped onto her handlebars.

Passersby good naturedly gave the Brooklyn scofflaw hard time. “Riding on the sidewalk, huh?” one asked. “You a grown man,” another told him, “you know that’s against the law!”

An officer in the van took issue with this particular bystander, telling him to “mind your own business.” “I wasn’t even talking to you!” the boisterous witness responded. And with that, the officers hopped out of the van and approached, demanding, “give me some I.D.!” “Get your hands out of my face,” the bystander responded. “I’m gonna issue you a summons right now,” the officer continued. “A summons for what?” the bystander demanded to know. A call for backup is made, and the witness recording the scene remarks “the NYPD is crazy.” It was at this time the officer and bystander realized where the situation was headed and decided to apologize to each other and defuse the situation. Just kidding! Actually, the situation went from ridiculous to outrageous.

From ridiculous to outrageous to … Fellini-esque.  Whoever “Eddie” is (and it’s not me!), he will now be the gold standard against which all police interventions are measured.  Whenever any police officers think about arresting someone for a minor offense, they should be thinking, Does this meet the Eddie standard?, as in Does this situation merit as much concern as an intoxicated man walking in traffic?  If not, perhaps the police should focus on those threats to public safety rather than waste the time of six officers to arrest a single wise guy.  By my calculation, the NYPD will need about 45 million cops at that ratio to wipe the scourge of smart-alecness off the streets of the Big Apple.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Q. Why don’t newspapers (internet blogs) run a story (post a thread) every time a plane (police officers) lands safely (conduct themselves in a manner that brings honor to their profession)?

A. It should be the norm.

Left Coast Right Mind on April 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Umm…Officers that are tragically killed in the line of duty are the “norm”, while a dumb disorderly conduct arrest (however wrong) is a national news event? This isn’t a first folks and HA isn’t alone in this. Of course police misconduct is always newsworthy, but so is heroism.

This lack of balanced coverage is the “norm”. That’s my point. It leads to a lack of trust between the public and the police.

Why you don’t understand this simple point is puzzling to me.

brennan251 on April 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I wrote a scene very similar to this in one of my screenplays. Nice to know that SOMEONE read it!

NNtrancer on April 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Seeing that assaults on police have been on the rise I think that this is troubling when even “right-wing” websites continue to portray LE as either ignorant, incompetent or fascist. You can tell by the commentary that public perception of LE generally sucks and much of that perception is media driven.

Wouldn’t it be great if we never heard about things like…oh, an immigrant who gets a baton shoved up his ass by cops while in jail and then dies? “No…we didn’t see a thing…”, or how about the poor guy in New York who caught 22 bullets…because he was reaching for his ID…just as he was ordered to do by the entire platoon of cops who shot him.

Man, if we could just not hear about those things…we’d probably like cops a whole lot more. Who’s with me….a ban on police reporting….eh?

I understand that “police behaving badly” videos are newsworthy and excellent blog fodder. However, the day to day actions of most men and women in law enforcement are outstanding and sometimes heroic. Yet, they often go unnoticed. I don’t know why, I don’t know if anyone is actually to blame, it just is.

Poor babies. How many McDonalds Drive-through order takers went unnoticed today? All of them? Why aren’t they complaining? Now that I think about it….my good work goes unnoticed on YouTube. Waaaah…..Waaah….waaah.

BobMbx on April 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM

BobMbx on April 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Thanks for helping me make my point.

brennan251 on April 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM

BobMbx on April 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM

You know what you don’t see a lot of … big front page newspaper stories about power line workers who die at work after grabbing a hot line. They go to work every day knowing one wrong move could get them killed, but they work anyway. And when they get killed at work, there aren’t any long processions, or honors given. Nope. They’re forgotten.

But if a law enforcement officer gets killed on duty, even if it’s from an training accident, well, the hoopla goes on for days.

j_galt on April 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Like the scene where Inspector Clouseau reprimands an organ grinder for not having a “lee-sawnce” for his “minkey” while a bank is being robbed right behind him.

rivlax on April 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM

j_galt on April 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Hoopla? I think they are more commonly referred to as funerals. Yeah, good times.

I’m out.

brennan251 on April 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for helping me make my point.

brennan251 on April 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM

How many US soldiers died last week in combat? Name one of them.

Before January 2009, one could affix a gadget to a website with a running count. After that date…..one could assume none have died.

It ain’t the cops, and it aint’ us. Its the press. And if you don’t like the news, change the channel. Or turn it off.

BobMbx on April 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Keep licking those cops gonads…
rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You flirting with me? I’m not gay, in case you didn’t know.

Karmi on April 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

We notice, but we also notice, in our regular interactions with LEOs, that a disturbing number of them are all about authority, not the law. Google [cops "professional courtesy"] and tell me that LEOs don’t have a culture of entitlement and a dismissive attitude towards the people they are supposed to serve and who pay their salaries.

BTW, being a garbageman is statistically more dangerous than being a cop. No garbageman ever treated me badly or helped someone rip me off. I can’t say the same about cops.

Cops complaining that non-cops have no idea what the job is like are like public school teachers who tell us that we know nothing about education even though we and our children have sat in their classes and seen their performance.

Simply put, people don’t like cops because too many cops are jerks who don’t understand how America is supposed to work.

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

The Houston ordinance is much more sweeping than the municipal ordinance struck down in Lewis. It is not limited to fighting words nor even to obscene or opprobrious language, but prohibits speech that “in any manner . . . interrupt[s]” an officer. [Footnote 10] The Constitution does not allow such speech to be made a crime. [Footnote 11] The freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state.

Houston v. Hill, 482 U.S. 451, 462-63 (1986). Opinion by Brennan, but joined by 8 out of 9 justices, including the usually law-enforcement-favoring Scalia.

Alex_SF on April 18, 2011 at 2:52 PM

NYPD arrests man for being a smart-alec

FWIW, smart-alecs aren’t what’s killing officers:

fatal traffic incidents in 2010 were the leading cause of officer deaths for the 13th straight year.”

They are, like the saying goes, putting their lives on the line every day. Unfortunately, they seem to be choosing to. They’re having wrecks and bouncing around the car. Safety-wise, the officers in the van might have been better served by checking that their fellow officers/passengers were obeying their state’s mandatory seat belt laws and were all buckled in.

Hopped out fast, didn’t they?

rogerb on April 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM

yeah, nice try, my old man created oakland’s swat team and desinged their training, why don’t you do a little research and see how OPD ranks amongst the world swats
Only the Israelis beat them. Dude the amount of training performed by California Police blows any state away, we have the most trained police officers, and it did not just begin with the last decade or so. Also alot of those police officers of that era were Viet Nam vets. Not that matters to someone as smart, wise, and non biased as you. my apologies to offending you good sir by trying to hold up the name of officers who served before our modern times.

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Most cops are thugs, that’s clear. I wonder about the chicken and egg bit though; did they become cops because they were thugs or did the job turn them into thugs? Maybe some of each.

slickwillie2001 on April 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

rock on dude

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

forget to put the post I was refuting
here it is

Say what you want about modern law enforcemet but to claim it was “better” 40 years ago is just ignorant. 40 years ago law enforcement training might have consisted of a few days going over a law book, depending on the state.
SnakeintheGrass on April 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

sorry for the confusion.:)

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Sorry Ed, you’re way wrong on this one…

When you see cops doing their job, shut your smart a$$ mouth. When they ask you for I.D., give it to them and don’t be disrespectful.

This would have ended with a friendly warning to the bicyclist and nothing more, but some punk decides to inject his disrespectful little butt into the situation. What happened to the cyclist? Nothing…..

You act like instead of teaching this punk some manners, they should have dropped everything and helped a drunk across the street. Please….

Cops have no sense of humor, eh? While that may be true, but tell me what was actually funny here that they didn’t “get”?

Try being a cop in New York for awhile before you second-guess how they respond to assholes…..

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

19thgen,

While the Oakland PD may have had professional standards for a while, I think it stands to reason that before the Warren Court rulings (Gideon, Miranda and others) that in general police were less constrained and thus more abusive than they are today.

The way I look at is that as in all professions (including law and medicine) there are jerks, idiots and knaves. LEOs, though, would have us believe that cops are somehow different. In fact there are things at play in cop culture that actively encourage tolerating bad cops.

To put things in perspective, every large police department has to have an internal affairs department. There are so many cops who are criminals, we have to have special police to police the police.

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM

“Who is John Gault Eddie Cain…?

Seven Percent Solution on April 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Sorry Ed, you’re way wrong on this one…

Are you serious? I mean really, are you a cop? If so, who the hell do you think you are? Respect? Teaching lessons? Is that your job? Are you daddy and everyone else is someone that must respect you? Please.

j_galt on April 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Why I have to give them respect? They work for me. Their job is to respect the public that pays their salary.

As for shutting my smart mouth, I’ll just ask you, is there a First Amendment or is there not freedom of speech?

As for asking for ID, I think the latest SCOTUS ruling is that Americans are not legally obligated to carry identification papers. As an American I have the right to traverse this great country without being stopped by a cop and have to produce some kind of state approved ID.

Who owns you, you or the government?

Ah, so now we know what the problem was. Some person dared to show disrespect to Johnny Law. Someone bruised some cop ego.

So is there freedom of speech or is there not?

What happened to the cyclist? Nothing…..

Actually, I read the original post for this video. The cyclist indeed received a citation.

You’re right. Why should cops protect a vulnerable person from injury when they could instead demand deferential treatment from someone not committing a crime?

That being a smarta$$ isn’t against the law. That contempt of cop isn’t a crime.

What part of liberty and freedom do you get?

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Someone call this badge bunny and holster sniffer a whambuulance. Nobody put a gun to anyone’s head and told them that they had to become a NYPD officer.

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM

“Eddie!” That’s hilarious!
FYI Since no one has mentioned it. “Eddie” is a reference to a movie character name Eddie Cain Jr. in the movie, “The Five Heartbeats” loosely based on the career of the singing group The Dells. In the movie Eddie is the lead singer of the groups but falls into a life of crime and homelessness after becoming a alcoholic and junkie.

BTW since when do you need ID to walk down the street. Reminds me of the Gestapo asking for someone’s “Papers.”

sothinbelle on April 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM

To clarify for Ed Morrisey, the intoxicated bum is the “Eddie” not the loud mouth. It’s movie reference.

sothinbelle on April 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I agree completely rokemronnie, hell I’m an educator and I think loads of my coworkers are mean spirited or wrong headed, it seems to be a human condition

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Having cops in my family my impressions is that there’s a few good ones but most of them are borderline psychopath alcholics, and the rest are frigging morons.

rollthedice on April 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Yogi Berra would be proud of the math in this assertion.

fossten on April 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Sorry Ed, you’re way wrong on this one…

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

And THIS is why so many people hate cops.

fossten on April 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Most cops are nothing but thugs. These cops have no right to ask a citizen walking on the sidewalk for his ID. There is no law requiring private citizens to carry ID. NYPD putting the capital P in Pigs.

woodNfish on April 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, and I’ve had much experience with dentistry getting my teeth worked on, but have never been trained for it, and never had to do it myself…but I do have experience with a power drill and pulling weeds and nails…how hard can it possibly be?

Have a root canal you need done? I’ll do it cheap!

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

There is no law requiring private citizens to carry ID
woodNfish on April 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Interesting dilemma considering the NYPD are more “smart-alecky” than their citizens. Perhaps they will arrest each other.

infidel4life on April 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM

It’s a good thing this guy wasn’t stopped in Arizona…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on April 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Fossten,

I’m not a cop, have no cops in my family, and have no association with cops whatsoever except when I’ve been busted by them. Never serious breaches of the law, but I deserved to get busted when I did.

However, I’ve always treated them with respect and they’ve returned the favor.

And you sir?

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 5:28 PM

A call for backup is made….

Really?

REALLY?

“Send the improv comedy squad…I’ve been rendered helpless by his barbed wit! Officer down! Officer down!”

James on April 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Dear rokemronnie,

I seem to have touched a nerve! I find it hard to believe that you are defending smarting off to cops.

It’s….just……dumb…..

Sure, exercise your right to freedom of speech by being a rude prick and they exercise their right to see if you have any warrants.

Brilliant…..

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Fossten,

However, I’ve always treated them with respect and they’ve returned the favor.

And you sir?

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I’ve dealt with more than my fair share of them in the Great state of SC. Mostly through work, but sometimes criminal acts against my place of business as well.

A long time ago, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. 1 in a hundred may have been bad. Now, I believe it’s along the lines of 6 out of ten should not be LEO’s.

Our own sheriff, Steve Loftis is a friggin’ joke. Biggest bully in Greenville SC. I’m ashamed to say I’m related to that jerk.

MadDogF on April 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Check out this story. From the local crime section in the NY Daily News. This story won’t go national because it doesn’t fit in with the “I hate cops” crowd.

PS> If there is any justice, the school safety agent in the above story will be rewarded, not facing possible charges.

brennan251 on April 18, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Have a root canal you need done? I’ll do it cheap!

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Your analogy would only hold if dentists completely disregarded patient complaints about how they interact with patients.

Do dentists react to every question with “because I told you so”?

I may not know about dental technique but I do know if my dentist is polite, friendly, understands that I’m under stress and/or experiencing pain, and does his job in a professional manner. I also can tell if he or she is rude, brusque, oblivious to my pain, not very reassuring when I’m under stress.

Likewise I can tell if a cop is acting impolitely, unfriendly, oblivious to peoples’ stress, and act unprofessionally.

Most medical professionals that I know go out of their way to treat patients with respect. Cops could learn a thing or two from dentists and doctors about dealing with people experiencing stress.

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Right–except when you go to vote: http://goo.gl/ErxvP

Napolean on April 18, 2011 at 6:46 PM

The police officer who initially made the decision to go after this guy made a very poor decision. He was more concerned with asserting his power than defusing a stupid situation. And he dragged all of the other officers into this mess because they had to support his decision no matter how stupid it was. It is important that these videos are out there to keep the stupid cops from putting the other cops into bad situations.

RedSoxNation on April 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I cared very much what happened to New Yorkers on 9/11/01, but as a group they are such insufferable jackasses, it’s hard to maintain that empathy for long.

SKYFOX on April 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM

This is sad, it gives good officers a bad name.

Oh wait, I forgot, we are just supposed to bend over and say thank you sir! may I have another?!

aikidoka on April 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I’m usually on the side of cops and respect what they do, greatly. They put it on the line.

But they did not handle this well. And you should not have to show your ID for making a smart alec comment.

MikeknaJ on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

What a surprise to find you in a thread bashing all police, ronnie. Way to be predictable. Oh, and don’t worry, I’m not at work so you don’t need to put in a request to Ed to find out if I’m using a gov’t computer.

ajsleepy on April 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM

mojotrain on April 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Since when is it a police officer’s job to teach anyone manners?

I thought it was an officers job to uphold the law.

Having bad manners isn’t illegal.

Yet.

ButterflyDragon on April 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM

The cops acted stupidly… the bicyclist acted stupidly… the would be comedian acted stupidly… and the drunken Eddie K acted stupidly… However, the woman in the white spandex is a criminal.

RalphyBoy on April 18, 2011 at 8:46 PM

rokemronnie on April 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

And most importantly, a dentist can’t arrest you. Or, shoot you dead in the street (well, it’s at least very unlikely). Oh, and a dentist can’t put you in jail. And, you can always choose another dentist if he’s a prick.

j_galt on April 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Also alot of those police officers of that era were Viet Nam vets.

Oh snap! Hey everybody, forget what I said about the raised standards and accountability of the police over the last 40 years because Oakland has a badass SWAT team! And some of them were probably ‘Nam vets!

Maybe you should go back to your old man and actually find out the difference between SWAT and the officers in this video. Here is a hint: their particular fields have very different focus.

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I’m a fourth generation police officer. I know/have known quite a few of those “officers who served before our modern times”. I never said they were bad people but I stand by what I said before. The training requirements and accountability are far higher today. And for a guy who has spent most of this thread railing against police it is pretty funny that you now try and “uphold the name of officers” because your dad trained a SWAT team.

SnakeintheGrass on April 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM

And for the record, these cops screwed up. Believe it or not, some cops think a higher level of accountability is a good thing.

SnakeintheGrass on April 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Disorderly Conduct? Several times on this website I’ve pointed out that I’m a cop. The first thing I learned at the police academy is that police officer’s don’t have a right to be offended. So unless some other citizen made a complaint… I don’t see how they could cite him for disorderly conduct, since apparently the only people who were offended were the ones who were angry that the retard cops were arresting a guy who having a sense of humor. Or, is this a case of New York can do whatta Neeww Yorkkk wants to Do!?

LordJack on April 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM

19thgenamerican on April 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM: In California it is against the law not to have a ID, I believe at 16 or maybe 18, but we have to have id and provide it on demand in our state.

I doubt it. Any such law would be declared unconstitutional and it is for the same reason the fed scum have not been able to get a national identity card passed.

woodNfish on April 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM

SnakeintheGrass on April 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I’ve noticed more and more screw-ups lately. Liveleakdotcom has compiled a video of police “actions” in the past year or two that tends to lead to the belief of a widespread cause.

Maybe that “brotherhood” of policemen is getting in the way of things ya think?

Also, F-U. I go 6 mph over the speed limit and I get a ticket, yet you a-holes can drive 25 mph over the speed limit to get to a frickin golden corral to meet with your buds doesn’t sit to well with me.

MadDogF on April 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Future TSA agents…

Gohawgs on April 19, 2011 at 12:08 AM

It’s called ‘interfering with a police investigation’. Here’s a hint…don’t do it. The cops had the situation in control, then some heckler tries to start something with the bicyclist. To stop the issue from escalating, the officers ask the man to quit it, he gets antagonistic to the cops. If ya’ll knew just how many minor incidents bleew up because some idjit in the crowd decided to heckle the (now embarrassed) interviewee… And, as is usual for Hot Air, it’s the cops that are the bad guys. Sheesh, reading the comments I had to double check that I wasn’t at Daily kos or some other liberal site. There’s your bipartisanship right there; both of ya’ll despise the people who are trying to protect you.

To the person who insinuated that officer deaths are due to bad driving of the officer, most vehicular traffic fatalities involving police officers occur when the officer is struck by a vehicle while standing near a vehicle he has pulled over.

wolfva on April 19, 2011 at 3:31 AM

wolfva on April 19, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Source, please. Mine is the link I posted. Here it is again for convenience. From it, first paragraph:

“At least 42% of police officers killed in vehicle crashes over the past three decades were not wearing seat belts or other safety restraints, according to a federal review.”

There was no insinuation. There’s data. Note that my link didn’t have anything to do with struck-by deaths. Just crashes.

And, FWIW, bad driving was never mentioned. Bad decision making while in-car was, though, and it seems to be a major problem (42% weren’t wearing seatbelts, remember?).

Here’s your data, btw. From it:

“Traffic related” deaths in 2010: 73
Struck by vehicle while outside car: 16

Meaning, in 2010, that 20% of 2010′s “traffic related” deaths occurred “when the officer is struck by a vehicle while standing near a vehicle he has pulled over,” which is neither “most” or “crashes”.

rogerb on April 19, 2011 at 5:00 AM

Why you don’t understand this simple point is puzzling to me.

brennan251 on April 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Personally, I don’t care anymore. After Wisconsin my view is that all officers are self-interested union thugs who enforce tyranny and are the enemy of the public.

vapig on April 19, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Someone mentions that this leads to a lack of trust in police. My dad, and several uncles, were police officers, and at one time I respected the police. However, the caliber and attitude of the current batch of young turks wearing the uniform has me instruction my kids to say to cops only the words “I WANT A LAWYER”. The cops nowadays are your “friends” till you are 6 years old. After that they are your enemy (or at least your adversary)

codekeyguy on April 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Escalation.

I can`t tell the thugs from the thugs.

Sherman1864 on April 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Great, Ed
Let’s micromanage the Poe lice now…

Observation on April 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM