Krauthammer: Trump is the Al Sharpton of the GOP

posted at 9:31 pm on April 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller, here’s the latest attempt by a prominent conservative to stage an intervention with whoever it is among the base that currently has Trump fever. (Rush Limbaugh is, thus far, a notable holdout.) I sympathize with Kraut’s concerns, but … did Al Sharpton really wreck any of the Democratic debates? I remember him as being eminently watchable compared to Lurch in 2004, but if there was any “Sharpton effect” on Kerry in either the primary or the general, I’m not aware of it. Trump is more of a concern because he specializes in a fringe issue that’ll put the rest of the field on the spot, but then again, it’ll also give them an opportunity to position themselves as comparatively more mainstream by disagreeing with him. Same goes for his more “substantive” positions, like starting a trade war with China and sending the U.S. military to seize Iraq’s oil fields. It should be easy, and valuable, to a Gingrich or a Herman Cain to explain to viewers why that’s nutty.

I’m morbidly curious to see Trump at the debates because his “policy platform” seems to be based mainly on being as aggressive as possible, and I’m eager to know how many primary voters that sort of “platform” appeals to. The policies themselves are secondary, which is why he’s not sweating his liberal record on stuff like health care. His candidacy is based on confrontation; that’s why the Birther issue, which drives the left nuts, works so well for him. It’s like a lost chapter from “The Magic Christian,” with Guy Grand willing to spend a few hundred million dollars for a laugh to see how far he can get in a presidential race by being as superficially “hardnosed” as possible. If there’s a constituency among the base to whom that’s appealing, and who’d forgive Trump for years of ideological unorthodoxy while holding everyone else to an exacting standard, I’d rather know it. Everybody into the pool!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Krauthammer is right. Trump is a joke. What’s worse, is that I don’t think he makes the other candidates look better. I think he makes Republicans, in general, look “unserious”.

We need to be the grown-ups in the room, a stark contrast to the “kids in the candy store” mentality displayed by Democrats. We don’t have time for people who are serving their own vanity. We get enough of that already from Obama.

Donald Trump has spent his life in the service of… Donald Trump. He’s greased the palms of the likes of Rahm Emanual, Chuck Schumer, and Charlie Rangel.
There’s no excuse for that. None.

Murf76 on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I’m no Trump fan. However, Trump is not only gaining in the polls because of the birther issue. China is a serious threat to capitalism. Listen to what Allen West has to say about China.

Jayrae on April 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Tokyo Rove & Dr Sauerkraut evidently believe they are a nominating Committee of 2 for the GOP.

james23 on April 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I’m no Trump fan. However, …

Jayrae on April 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Ah, yes … the classic non-denial denial. Dude, this thread is a referendum on Trump. You’re either for him as a candidate or against him. When you quote him, you indicate that you have no problem voting him. So which is it?

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Tokyo Rove & Dr Sauerkraut evidently believe they …

james23 on April 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM

… get paid very well to share their opinions on politics?

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 8:36 AM

And finally, the man who refers to himself as The Donald.

You people are just messing with me, right?

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM

As weak as PBHO, the GOP so far hasn’t come up with anyone stronger. I’m not at all looking forward to the 2012 election. Not unless we get a real candidate.

MJBrutus on April 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM

get paid very well to share their opinions on politics?

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 8:36 AM

No, they are paid propagandists, and in the case of Tokyo Rove, paid political hit men who routinely smear anti-establishment candidates. These two scumbags “opine” about who may run and who may not. They are emblematic of what ails the GOP.

james23 on April 19, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I don’t like the guy. Never have, never will. If he manages to become the nominee in 2012 I just won’t vote at all.

scalleywag on April 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM

There’s no excuse for that. None.

Murf76 on April 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Yes, Trump is a joke. But that doesn’t mean Kraut is right.

Trump is as big an egomaniac as PrecentMackDaddy.

davidk on April 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I don’t like Trump and I think he’s a clown. However …

I’m getting a bit sick of Krauthammer constantly trying to “steer” the grassroots one way and then another by basically insulting their likes and dislikes. Hey Krauthammer – here’s an idea – how about FULL disclosure huh?

Tell us who you are FOR and WHY … so that we can then know what your motives are in all this weird “steering” you’re trying to do. You don’t like Palin – you don’t like Trump – who the hell DO you like Kraut?

HondaV65 on April 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Trump is a disaster waiting to happen.

Dino64 on April 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Barbour?? Give me a break! He has not a chance of competing even if he declares.

I usually like Krauthammer, but not today. I found HIM to be rude; much ruder than Trump whom he criticizes.

This panel was the Gathering of the RINOs! Rove is way off base as well.

Look, if Ryan runs, which he won`t, I`d like that.

Trump`s jab at Romney was a shot by one businessman at another.

Tell you what, Romney lost last time. That makes him a loser. Do you want to bet on a loser?

I have more trouble with this aberration of a Panel than I do with some quip by Trump against Romney. No love lost there I bet and why should there be?

Trump is doing fine.

If he betrays my trust I will be the first to admit I was wrong and I would want Trump tarred and feathered.

Don`t disappoint me, Trump!

Sherman1864 on April 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Jaibones on April 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Yes, you’re right. He’s a giant tool. But what did you vote for in 2008? Backdoor John McCain. King of the Rinos. Captain Amnesty. Arrogant old fart with loads of charismisn’t. He stunk..in every possible category except #100. Showing up with an ‘R’ next to his name. You voted for a total poseur who spent the previous 8 years spitting on the conservative movement. So what? Suddenly Donald Trump isn’t good enough for the GOP? You guys nominated McCain. Hell, you’d probably vote for Lindsey Graham if he ran..so what’s wrong with Trump? He’s not as stupid as Huckabee and he’s more human seeming than Mitt Romney. Say what you will about him..at least he’s not John McCain.

austinnelly on April 20, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I have to wonder about Krauthammer sometimes. It seems he’s so anxious to distance himself from “embarrassing” people that he sometimes makes politically obtuse comments.

For example, why bother painting Trump as “the Al Sharpton” of the right? That’s claiming that Trump is part of the right wing, and I’m not at all convinced that’s the case. In fact, he seems better described as a moderate. Sure, in some areas he runs far to the right, but in a lot of others he runs pretty well left.

tom on April 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM

fossten on April 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM

And boy, was he ever wrong about Sen. O’Donnell. Wait, what’s that you say? ….

It’s Vintage, Duh on April 18, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Yep. Oh wait, were you trying to make a joke?

I do believe the point is to have the sense to not go on the attack against one of your own party’s nominees between the primary and the general election.

Now, you could excuse Krauthammer somewhat on the argument that he’s a journalist/opinion pundit, and should not necessarily be presumed to have loyalties to the Republican party. Which is certainly an argument you can’t make for Rove and others.

tom on April 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM