Hot Air poll: How would you rate the Republican field?

posted at 6:52 pm on April 18, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

A couple quick notes:

The purpose of this survey isn’t so much to find out how supporters feel about their own candidates — as our Presidential surveys attest, “supporters” naturally give their candidates the highest marks — as it is to find out how Hot Air readers feel about the other candidates in the field, should any of those candidates become the nominee. My follow-up post will ultimately focus on the latter dynamic, not the former.

Also, we’re going for the most-accurate picture of your candidate leanings, so for our purposes, a score of “1″ is the equivalent of a baby-eating communist. A score of “7″ is the equivalent of the second coming of Reagan and/or Jesus Himself. If you’re only scoring candidates as 1s or 7s, you’re probably doing it wrong. Please keep this all in mind as you score everyone.

Same rules as always: don’t double vote.

Addendum: I’m noticing in the early ballots that some voters are rating their preferred Presidential candidate below other candidates. If you’re going to do that, please explain why in the comment box.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Looks like some fellow travelers have fallen for the “electability” myth. Thank God nobody did in 1980.

Kataklysmic on April 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I voted in the earlier post… When will you display the results?

Khun Joe on April 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I voted in the earlier post… When will you display the results?

Khun Joe on April 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM

In the next couple days.

Also, if the ballot is loading slowly, you may have to refresh the page once (or more than once.) For whatever the reason, our use of Google products sometimes crashes said Google products…

Patrick Ishmael on April 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM

From me, no 7s, one 6, two 5s, four 4s, four 3s, no 2s, and five 1s…

you should have had a zero in there.

Limerick on April 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I eagerly await the results of the poll…

hawkman on April 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM

No Huckleberry Goodman Gladhands Will go Along to Get Along and Play my Guitar while I do it.

No, Huck. Just don’t bother. Save your money and invest it in some program that makes you feel good. Like Barack Hussein Obama’s next re-deriliction of Duty campain 2012.

Key West Reader on April 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM

And, Here’s to Donald Trump’s Campaign of Utter Destruction So I Can Build Victory Towers With My Name on Them and They Will Smell Like Cabbage.

Step off, Donald.

You’re part of the same ‘ole crowd and while we appreciate your entertainment and your antics, you are not now and never have been, nor ever will be in a position to lead this Nation out of the hole that your antics helped to create.

It is YOUR kind that helped to place Barack Hussen Obama into power, and we certainly are not in a position to re-endorse that farking failure are we?

Herman Cain and Allen West.

Key West Reader on April 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Two 7′s (Palin, Bachman), Three 1′s. The rest were all over the map for me. I did give Huckabee a 4. He doesn’t grate me like some others here, but he’s definitely my first, second, or third choice.

SouthernGent on April 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Donald Trump: Cabbage Smelling High Class Condo’s for All!

Free Gin.

Key West Reader on April 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Palin/West

Cain/West

SarahCuda/BachmannOverDrive

Pence/T-Paw?

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM

My biggest conflict is scoring John Bolton, the guy could handle President but would do so much more good as Sec.of State, Director of National Intelligence, Sec. of Homeland Security, CIA, or NSA. Doggone it.

fourdeucer on April 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I don’t think the best potential candidates are in the race yet.

Mr. D on April 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I don’t remember who I voted for previously. I don’t think Daniels was listed in all the previous polls, maybe I just missed him.

bopbottle on April 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Daniels/Bolton

I can dream…

JetBoy on April 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM

SouthernGent on April 18, 2011

Amen on the seven’s. I gave the Huckster a 1 just because there was no zero option. He a cheap imitation of Elmer Gantry.

SKYFOX on April 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM

He = He’s

SKYFOX on April 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM

None of the above!

Sorry Patrick….Allen Bernard West will be drafted and become our next President.

Rovin on April 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

My favorites: Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, and John Bolton. And I’m enjoying the stir Donald Trump creates.
But I would not vote for any of them, because I can’t (I’m Dutch). Luckily I can vote for a politician who is better than any other politician I know: Geert Wilders (the modern Winston Churchill).

Sir Galahad the Pure on April 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Rand Paul get a 5, Johnson gets a 2, and everyone else gets 1.

Ron Paul gets a 7, but he’s not on the the list.

Spathi on April 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM

So,interesting,the GOP Men are 1′s
and the Women are 10′s,er,7′s!

This calls for a musical theme!
——————————-

Trooper 3 Dressed Up as a 9
*****************************

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

There should have been a no opinion option. Gary Johnson? Who the hell is Gary Johnson?

(I did look up to find out who he is, but decided against taking a few days of reading up on the man just to give an opinion. I can’t imagine anyone outside of NM or the SW knowing who he is)

ButterflyDragon on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

The GOP field is garbage and Palin, Bachmann, Mitt and Huck are a dumpster fire.

Allen West, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul….give me these guys.

rickyricardo on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Mostly 3s. There are a few stand out… probably not who most Hot Airers would pick though. In we probably cancel each other…

I value experience as an actual leader over some nice talk over the last couple of years. Talk is cheap. I want to see long term actions.

petunia on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Where is the “who’s that?” option?

flyfishingdad on April 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM

you should have had a zero in there.

Limerick on April 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM

We already have a zero in the White House.

William Amos on April 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Ron Paul gets a 7, but he’s not on the the list.

Spathi on April 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Spathi:And Clinton and Obama get,

-1000,and they too,are not on the list,
and its Perplexing,quite Inexplcable me
thinks!!(sarc)

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM

or Jesus Himself

I thought he was already in the White House.

melchitt on April 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I thought he was already in the White House.

Jesus Jones is in the White House. Shaft is at justice, Shemp Howard is the VP and the wicked witch of the West is at State.

We’re screwed.

rickyricardo on April 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Everyone’s looking… hoping… for another Ronald Reagan. No such luck. Rand comes close in ideology, but he has no executive experience.

NNtrancer on April 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I don’t have a problem with Hucklebee, but I really do not believe he can be elected. I think we’d like to believe that a “Trump” business type could come in and straighten things up, but I too fear that Trump is just egomaniac. Then there’s Sarah and Michelle – I adore both of them but I also know that the media will tear them up and not allow them to be elected. Wished I believed the country as a whole would over step the media – but I do not.

Newt and Rudy are has beens. It’s over for both of them. I’m sooooooooooo ticked at Romney for bailing on the last election, I don’t want to consider him. Who is left? No one that I know enough about.

katablog.com on April 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Palin 7
Bachmann 6
Trump 6
Paul 5
Everyone else 1
Romney and Huck 0 (of possible)

kevinkristy on April 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Allen West, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul….give me these guys.

rickyricardo on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

rickyricardo:Oh man,I nearly choked on my tea,manwhich
sandwhich to boot,”dumpster fire”,thats go
nna get you negative(-)bonus points!

Just remember,Pain will walk out of that
“dumpster fire” like that Arny Movie,with
the female Terminator!!!

Teminating,ProgTards,CommyTards,SocialisTards,
and those pesky Dem/Lib/UnionTards!(snark)

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM

This calls for a musical theme!
canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I’d prefer this one when the liberals exit in mass next year

Rovin on April 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM

The problem with putting so much emphasis on executive experience is that some of those candidates may be lacking but make it up in judgement. Judgement in picking the best cabinet is pretty important in my opinion.

fourdeucer on April 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Do not want a ReDo of Mc…Cains GOP Mutiny,dammitt,
you guys owe me(establishment)for a shot at the Leader
of the Free World,Captain Queegs Fight with Me 2008
Not Going Anywhere Tour!!!!!!(snark).

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM
========================
I’d prefer this one when the liberals exit in mass next year

Rovin on April 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Rovin:Veddy nice,heres another mass exit tune!!:)
=====================================================

Sweet – Set Me Free
**********************
From the album Desolation Boulevard

canopfor on April 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I think the main reason why some (myself included) would rate their preferred candidate lower than some of the other candidates is that their preferred candidate isn’t their favorite, but rather has the ability to win the nomination and then beat Obama.

I like Cain and Bolton more than my preferred candidate, but neither of them can win the nomination.

nickj116 on April 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I say Herman Cain and Allen West should run, or Bachmann and West.

Trump is just Perot 2.0.

cebj25 on April 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM

This list looks for the most part a progressive liberals wet dream. I could only find 4 people on the list I could support, and for the most part, all but one has less than a 2% chance of winning the nomination.

astonerii on April 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Is “approve” a measure of how much I approve of them as a person, a presidential candidate, or in the job their currently doing?

For example, Bachmann gets a 6 or 7 for me for her current job, but probably a 2 or so as a presidential candidate. Ditto Daniels (my governor).

Chris of Rights on April 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM

The highest I gave any of them was a 5 (Cain, Daniels, and Pawlenty). I’m still hoping for Perry, Ryan, or Christie to throw their hats in the ring (preferably in that order).

Lawdawg86 on April 18, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Ryan/West

Connie on April 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Hot Air poll: How would you rate the Republican field?

Cain/Palin

rukiddingme on April 18, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Ryan/West

Connie on April 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Connie scores the winning goal!

rickyricardo on April 18, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I had one seven, a few 6s, a few 1s, and two 4s. Looking forward to the results.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I guess I’m kind of ashamed to admit it, but I really don’t know enough about each potential candidate to honestly take the poll. What I’d like to see is a direct comparison on policy issues -side by side- for each candidate.

Support for Iraq
Support for Afghanistan
Support for Libya

Debt ceiling increase
2011 budget CR
Ryans’s 2012 budget proposal
Repealing ObamaCare in toto
Reinstating DADT
Reinstating defense of DOMA

and so on…

A brief synopsis for each candidate along with asterisks for any flip-flops would be really helpful.

BKeyser on April 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Has Ryan said that he’s not running? He’s getting name recognition. I believe you’re asking for the ratings based on whether I believe they could do the job so I gave Palin a 7.

I would also give Ryan a 7. Two different people but both would do a great job in office IMO.

Vince on April 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM

BTW, you should probably get ready to decide if you would support Palin in a primary ’cause after Wisconsin, I believe she’s going to run.

Vince on April 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I rate the Republican field very poorly. Except for the candidates I prefer. I rate them very highly.

Any questions?

Kensington on April 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Dagny Taggart 2012!!

NickDeringer on April 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Go ahead, check ‘em all out. Values, positions, ability to inspire, leadership potential, courage, resolve, willingness to take on both party establishments… the whole field.

When you’re done, come back to the best — Sarah Palin in 2012.

DaMav on April 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Dagny Taggart 2012!!

NickDeringer on April 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Palin/Taggart ’12!1!

Kensington on April 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM

We seem to have forgotten our best candidate, Paul Ryan…that long list of retreads and old guard is simply not what we need today.

JIMV on April 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Reviewing the comments (mine included) one has to think it is time to stock up at the Class VI store (ABC for you civ’s). We’re screwed.

In a normal world, anyone that had a pulse could beat Dear Leader. Yet, we’re on the path to offer up failed retreads (who, BTW, each and everyone, would be better than Obumba).

Dingbat63 on April 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Huntsman is the only person that I gave a 1. I would have given Huckabee a 1.01 if that was an option, but it wasn’t, so he got a 2. Similarly, Romney would have gotten a 1.02 if possible, b/c he is better than Huck, but is still awful. So I had to give him a 3 … which he really didn’t deserve.

besser tot als rot on April 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM

DRAFT ALLEN WEST!!! He’s the real deal. He must be drafted and made to understand how badly we need him.

Joy on April 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Pitiful field. D-

Ricohoc on April 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Rand Paul or Gary Johnson for me. Gary Johnson’s record as governor is UNPARALLELED in the fiscal realm. Simply no comparison. Why he is not campaigning harder I don’t know. He needs name recognition. His record speaks for itself

flawedskull on April 18, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I agree that Allen West is more exciting than anyone on the list, and I’d love to see him join the race. He’s patriotic, smart, charismatic, well-spoken, and fearless. He has put his life on the line for America and he knows why he did it. He is a natural leader who can rally a crowd and make them feel compelled to take action. He tells it like it is and is well aware of the leftist and Islamic threats to our freedom.

Cara C on April 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM

You know what will be astonishing?

How many “1″‘s Mittens got.

Palin was a 7 for me.

victor82 on April 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM

As I said in the commentary section:

Trump, Romney and Gingrich are definate no’s! The ‘Stache and Michelle Bachman and Herman Cain are definate yes’s!
If West’s name had been in there it would have been my only #7

Vntnrse on April 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM

We are electing the leader of the free world, to lead the greatest nation on earth. Take it seriously. Look past the glowing rhetoric (usually written by staffers), personal wealth, or outward appearance of these celebrities. Do some real research into their actual record while in office, and you will see their REAL positions on the issues that matter. The conservative who has shown the most solid record of accomplishment, hands down, is Gov.Mike Huckabee. There’s a reason why he was re-elected twice, and served until term limits ended his extraordinary term. Lowered taxes, improved roads and schools, balanced the budget every year in office…even cared for victims of Hurricane Katrina by mobilizing an army of volunteers. Most importantly to me: he was able to pass a pro-life amendment to the AR constitution, even while working with an overwhelmingly Democrat state legislature.

PayingAttention on April 19, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Never will I vote for Mike Huckabee.

NEVER

Joy on April 19, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Over half of our choices are RINOS .. I can’t/won’t support another RINO.

philly_PA on April 19, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Over half of our choices are RINOS .. I can’t/won’t support another RINO.

philly_PA on April 19, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Although I agree, I have admit that a cardboard cutout of Ronald McDonald would be better than Odumbo.

jeffn21 on April 19, 2011 at 8:31 AM

PS: I have noted that West and Cain might make a stellar pair to lead the country out of our problems. Somehow, that still makes me a racist. I like Rand Paul’s approach a lot. But I believe Pawlenty is more electable and well seasoned for the campaign and the job. West or Cain as VP might be a good thing. Both have a force of personality that would make dealing with Congress more effective.

{^_^}

herself on April 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Will we drop ALL the RINO’s please?

Herman Cain with Marco Rubio VP. A black conservative with business sense, unlike Obowma, and a hispanic VP choice for the overwheling, conservative hispanic vote?

DUH…winning.

dthorny on April 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I have decided we should take another look at Rudy Guiliani. His ’08 campaign fizzled, for reasons I don’t understand, but he’s an enormously competent, no-nonsense man who could cut through the Beltway crap as Christie has done in NJ.

Guiliani/West or Guiliani/Bachman would be appealing.

But. . .

What about General Petraeus? Think he’s ready to bolt from under the wimpy Obamunist thumb?

/Mr Lynn