Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on April 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Days after President Obama called for forming a bipartisan group in Congress to begin negotiating a $4 trillion debt-reduction package, the parties have not even agreed to its membership. Yet six senators — three Democrats, three Republicans — say they are nearing consensus on just such a plan

“For Republicans, that means accepting higher taxes and lower military spending. For Democrats, it would mean agreeing to curbs on the unsustainable growth of Medicare and Medicaid spending, as well as tweaks to Social Security, to avert a big shortfall in 2037 and as a trade-off for Republicans’ support on taxes…

“‘As I said to a Republican recently,’ Mr. Durbin said in an interview, ‘it’s like we’re on a long flight here and we’ve come so far there’s no turning back — we’ve got to land the plane.’…

“Mr. Chambliss has been increasingly outspoken in arguing that additional revenues must be part of a debt-reduction plan, given the scale of the problem.

“‘I’m taking arrows from some on the far right,’ he told the Rotary Club of Atlanta in an appearance with Mr. Warner on Monday. ‘Are some people going to pay more in taxes? You bet.’”

***
Q: Let me ask you about some of your language of the last few days on this front. In your speech about the long-term deficit plan, you said that the Republican alternative is deeply pessimistic. And in your political fundraisers here in Chicago last night, you said the Republicans don’t think we can afford to be compassionate. As you run for re-election, is that how you see the Republican vision? Are the Republican leaders lacking compassion and they’re pessimistic?

A: Well, I think that they genuinely believe and sincerely believe that the only way to get control of our deficit is to slash spending so drastically and to fundamentally change the social compact we have with seniors around Medicare that we would have a fundamentally different society than the one that we have now. And I don’t think there’s any disputing that. I think if you talk to Republicans, they would nod in agreement. Now, if you look at the House Republican budget that they’ve proposed, you would have to cut education by 25 percent; you’d have to cut transportation spending by 30 percent. It does make Medicare into a voucher program. That fundamentally changes our society. It’s not compelled by the numbers; it’s compelled by their insistence that people like myself, millionaires and billionaires across the country, shouldn’t pay anything more in taxes, shouldn’t go back to the rates that existed back in the 1990s, when wealthy people were doing well — and, in fact, they want to give more tax breaks to those folks. Now, I think they’re entirely sincere in believing that that’s the kind of society that we should want. I just fundamentally disagree with it. I don’t know how we have a world-class infrastructure where we have the best ports, the best roads, the best airports, the best railways —

Q: You said they might lead us to third world —

A: Well, literally, if you look at the numbers, we could not afford to repair our roads in this country under their budget. We couldn’t afford to provide the kind of financial assistance that we provide to poor kids or middle-class kids to go to college. We just couldn’t afford it. We could not afford under the budget that they’ve proposed to invest in medical research in the way that we’re currently doing. So that’s what I mean when I say that it is a pessimistic vision. It’s one that says that America can no longer do some of the big things that made us great, that made us the envy of the world, and so we’re going to leave it to China or we’re going to leave it to Japan or we’re going to leave it Brazil to make these big investments, to have the new discoveries. And that’s not I think how most of us think America should be.

***
“Our nation is facing a $14.3 trillion national debt that our own military leaders call the greatest threat to our national security. In these challenging times, we need real leadership to bring us together. As Americans, there is not a problem that we can’t solve if we are together. And unfortunately, in his speech this week on the deficit, President Obama took us three steps backwards.

“Instead of describing the threat and bringing both sides together, the president attacked those who have a different vision of the government

“Entitlement spending alone accounts for more than 80 percent of our long-term debt burden but the president’s plan exempts these programs from reform. By pretending that Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security are sound financially when they are not, the president is jeopardizing the benefits for the very Americans he says he wants to protect…

“The president says he wants to use a scalpel, but as a physician, let me tell you, when it comes to waste and duplication at the federal government level, we don’t need a scalpel. We need a chain saw.”

***
“In divided government, I think it helps if we treat each other with respect. There’s plenty of time for campaigning. Look, the president doesn’t have a primary opponent, he doesn’t even have an announced Republican opponent yet. There’s plenty of time for him to do campaigning later. Right now we’ve got things to do, we’ve got problems to solve, and so I think it would just be more productive if we put the campaign rhetoric aside… Both parties have done this to each other. I’m not saying only one party does this, but I think the tone gets set at the top…

“[Obama] appointed a fiscal commission last year to come up with solutions. They came up with solutions. He disavowed their solutions, and now he’s coming up with yet another commission to come up with solutions. My point is we need to lead, and we shouldn’t be delegating these tough decision to other people to make… We’re going to lead, we’re putting ideas out there, and we’re not kicking it to other people to make decisions like other commissions…”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’d wear a mask, too…With that, I’m outta here…Cya later…

Gohawgs on April 18, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Waaaaht! I have an affinity for anonymous musicians…

But not for government. Transparency is what we voted for, yes?

Kini on April 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM

karenhasfreedom on April 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Mornin’
Off to work I go.

OmahaConservative on April 18, 2011 at 6:21 AM

I also have the Hannity special to watch where he was working with the dial pollster.

karenhasfreedom on April 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM

The Hannity special is Well Worth the Watch!!!!

I watched it twice to catcher the nuances.

Kini on April 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM

karenhasfreedom on April 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Watch this also

Kini on April 18, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Off to work I go.

OmahaConservative on April 18, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Kini on April 18, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)

Does anyone know what this is in reference to?

I couldn’t find any bill for the whole 2009 that had $192B or “anti-recession stimulus spending” in July!

DSchoen on April 18, 2011 at 6:31 AM

I saw Coburn yesterday on Chris Wallace and he said that they were working on a compromise that neither side would like, but that would work. I guess we will find out. I like Coburn, he seems like a reasonable man to me. I don’t always agree with him, but he seems sincere. So does Paul Ryan.

My fear is that whatever they come up with, the liberal media will just eviscerate it and to many on the right will believe what they hear.

I think that happened with the 2011 budget. The liberal media and a not so unbiased report from the CBO were used to undermine a GOP plan in the hopes that they could derail the budget and create division within the Republican ranks. The thing that surprises me about these sort of tactics, is how often they work.

Terrye on April 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM

man i love ryan more each day….

righton righton righton

cmsinaz on April 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Terrye on April 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM

good points….

cmsinaz on April 18, 2011 at 7:15 AM

I get more than a little worried about Sen. Coburn, who came into the Senate with ObaMao as a freshman and developed a friendship with him on that basis. Such comity may not work in the nation’s interests.

That said, we are expending too much effort trashing our own when, as Quin Hillyer urges, we should be “trashing Obama” instead. Goodness knows, he has provided plenty of reasons for our wrath.

onlineanalyst on April 18, 2011 at 7:32 AM

By the way, Happy Tax Day, y’all.

kingsjester on April 18, 2011 at 7:32 AM

kingsjester on April 18, 2011 at 7:32 AM

i think dear leader should lead by example and pay more than his fair share…

cmsinaz on April 18, 2011 at 7:46 AM

What’s a “social compact”? I assume the dope meant social contract, fire the teleprompter.

Is he claiming we’re just barely scraping by on the trillions we borrow and spend? Was he not challenged on that? Silly question…

Dash on April 18, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I hope Republicans remember one FACT when they negotiate. Democrats can not be trusted. It does not matter what the end compromise results are if Democrats have no intention of honoring the bargain. Remember, there was an agreement on immigration reform in the 80′s. The deal was amnesty in exchange for border security. They got the amnesty and then totally renigged on the border security. Obama agreed to the Bush tax cut extentions in exchange for unemployment extentions. Now he wants to void the tax extentions. Republicans compromised with the Defense of Marriage Act, now Obama refuses to defend the law. We have immigration laws on the books, Democrats refused to enforce them. We need to remember these lessons durring negotiations. Reagan said trust but verify. I say, never trust a Democrat to do what they promise.

SandyToes on April 18, 2011 at 8:04 AM

SandyToes on April 18, 2011 at 8:04 AM

hear hear!

cmsinaz on April 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Well, Obama isn’t campaigning today…he’s playing golf for the 64th time. That’s his third time out on the links in three weeks. Hmmm….wonder if he’s concerned for the people in NC?

Deanna on April 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I’m listening to Art Laffer on Bill Bennett’s show right now. We’re doing it wrong.

Cindy Munford on April 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Why does anyone have to pay more in taxes if you are going to cut spending enough to save us all? Just Stop Spending Money We Don’t Have, and stop agreeing with dems/libs. This plane should crash not land.

Kissmygrits on April 18, 2011 at 8:41 AM

They need a serious, overwhelming, mind-shattering reminder of whose money it is that they keep stealing. Until that sinks in I am not sure we have a hope.

Noelie on April 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I’m a member of the loyal opposition. Whoever is in office, next election, vote them out. Yep, even my friend Jack Kingston, whom I’ve known for years. Good guy, but I’ve voted against him every time he’s had a primary opponent. Gotta do it. Just gotta.

odat on April 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM