Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on April 17, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

It’s that time again where we cast symbolic votes to pick the waste and abuse that should be recognized as our Obamateurism of the Week!  It’s too cold to go golfing or take long walks, and there isn’t any such thing as a hybrid van for a drive either, so an OOTW poll is just the ticket for today.  Speaking of tickets, try to avoid those grandmas and special-needs children that Obama accused Paul Ryan of chucking under your wheels when you do go out for a Sunday drive, too.

Previous 2011 “winners”:

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

tough choices this week once again….

had to go with accusing the GOP…

the man only knows how to demagogue, it’s so 2005

cmsinaz on April 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Forced to golf. He had no choice!

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM

As to his “long walks”, I don’t think I’ve ever not seen him sitting in a golf cart.

TugboatPhil on April 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Obama forced to go golfing because he can’t “go out for long walks or go to the carwash or the grocery store. “

I’m having these problems also. I can’t go golfing because it’s an costly endeavor and all my money is going to gas and taxes. Ditto for the grocery store. Though I would love to see Obama at the car wash. Washing my car is one of the few things I think he can do right.

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

He better watch out because Sarah’s coming.

Kissmygrits on April 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Hmmmm. I can’t decide. I’m gonna have to say “all of the above.” This guy has just gotta go.

Rational Thought on April 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

He better watch out because Sarah’s coming.

Kissmygrits on April 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

He’d be wise to pull a Johnson and not seek reelection.

He, the remaining Democrats and for that matter most of the Republicans have NO IDEA how furious we are at their shenanigans.

turfmann on April 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

His whole presiduncy can be defined as a waste and a fraud.

Key West Reader on April 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Kissmygrits on April 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Ya the PITBULL is about to enter the ring.

tim c on April 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It’s hard to believe that week after week after week the boy genius provides so many shining examples of his ineptitude. WTF?

Naturally Curly on April 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It’s gotta be “Obama forced to go golfing…” forced, as if enslaved and then penned up like an animal so that all his freedoms are severely curtailed because of his sacrifices for us.
Wait a minute, I gotta stop crying….. from laughter!

ExpressoBold on April 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I think Ed needs to break this out into separate categories. One might highlight Obama’s cluelessness (say, the van for 10 or golfing over long walks), another for Obama’s hypocrisy (say, his debt ceiling vote or his demagoguery regarding seniors), and still another for Obama’s rhetorical nonsense (disparaging other politicians for relying on elimation of fraud and abuse before relying on it himself).

As far as I’m concerned, Ed’s Obamateurism should be reserved to Obama’s most prominent example of cluelessness of the week. I vote for the hybrid van for 10, which went along with the crack that we shouldn’t be driving eight-mile-an-hour gas guzzlers. Who, by the way, is driving those gas guzzlers? I’m not convinced they exist in this country.

All the same, we can agree that the MSM belief in his utter brilliance notwithstanding, Obama is the dumbest smart person (if we concede that he is smart) in public life today.

BuckeyeSam on April 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Sarah can make sure he is free to go for walks again in 2013.

karenhasfreedom on April 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I, myself, like the ‘Orwell speak’ of spending reductions in the tax code. This guy doesn’t have the hanging courage units to come right out and tell everyone that their taxes are going up.

Pelosi delende est on April 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Ya the PITBULL is about to enter the ring.

tim c on April 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Pitbull…momma grizzly…don’t care what form she takes as long as she gets in the ring. I’ll be glad to hold her spit bucket.

SKYFOX on April 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM

BuckeyeSam on April 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

well said

cmsinaz on April 17, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Pelosi delende est on April 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM

You’re correct to highlight that one. But I think it belongs in a separate category that compiles Obama’s acts of cynicism that the MSM will not bash Obama about. That said, as HotAir highlighted earlier this week, even Jon Stewart had to call Obama on that one.

BuckeyeSam on April 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Always fun to help contribute to his legacy. The tough part will be getting all these quotes into his presidential library.

a capella on April 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Last night I though maybe Reba or Ted N would lend Sarah a sound system that could not only drown out thugs but had a little alto in it. Then I thought that right in the middle of a big Tea Party event or maybe The NRA convention an announcement came over the PA that bumma had declared victory and would either resign or not run.
Then the sun did come up and another day in the culture war has started,gotta feel sorry for somebody so clueless as bomma, he has got to know deep inside he has failed,his body language betrays him. The guy is going through the motions,reminds me of The Man in The Grey Flannel Suit.
Stuck on the campaign treadmill as he has no idea what a leader is supposed to do.Guy is really useless except as an example of what not to trust or elect.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I picked the obvious but I really wanted to pick the walk in the park and golf as it’s my favorite. I made 2 videos on the walk, the latest being a dramatic reading but I also made a video on his fighting words, with Obama as the Don.

The Campaign to Stop the Bullying at 1600 Pennsylvannia Ave

No Niks on April 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM

The Preident wants you to know, you’re really quite stupid.

Speakup on April 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

“Actually, no one sells a hybrid van in the US despite presidential advice to father of 10″ ….

I’ve never heard a more sneering pronouncement to an American citizen by a president in my life.

It’s time to let this president know he works for us by FIRING HIM.

itsspideyman on April 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I had to go with the golf because when I served under President Bush, I had a real Commander in Chief. I loved him and I loved serving for him. I took it personal when he did exactly the opposite of President Obama and was excoriated for it. And the media, well, you know the media. What a difference a Letter makes.

(D) Barrark Obama.
(R) President Bush.

hawkdriver on April 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Dagnubbit! I regret my vote for #1, it was, after all, symbolic y’know. Now that I see that #4 is the most likely winner, I regret that mistake and would like to abort that miscast vote.

positions.

ted c on April 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

hawkdriver on April 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

dittoes

ted c on April 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

THIS

The party that decrys “the politics of Fear”. The party that lectures on “Civility”. The party that says they are for poor people while trying to get as many people on the federal dole making sure that people will always be poor.

The democratic party is an elitist party. They must keep people poor to keep themselves in power. Because it isnt solving america’s problems that they want to do. IF they did then shouldnt the “Great Society” have solves all poverty in America for almost 50 years in action ?

No the truth is that democratic parties “Schemes” are all just smoke and mirrors to keep minorities poor and dependant on voting for democrats. It keep workers and corporations divided so that neither can achieve prosperity. They keep energy from being developed or resources being used so they can have nice parks to go to that the poor cant afford to go to because the price of everything is too high.

Always keep in mind that the real goal of the democratic party is prosperity. That means that the Democratic elites in Washington might have to mingle with the great unwashed masses. The real goal is to keep America divided so they can stay elites. Obama is just the elitist in Cheif. Dont want to distract him from his golf game do we ?

William Amos on April 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Always keep in mind that the real goal of the democratic party is ISNT prosperity.

Fixed

William Amos on April 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM

“Symbolic” 2006 vote opposed to debt-ceiling increase now a “mistake”

Is thsi the first time Barry admitted to making a mistake? Now if we can just get him to admit to actually being a mistake…-

RalphyBoy on April 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Accuses GOP of trying to hurt seniors after lecturing them not to demagogue on entitlement reform.

And not back in 2006 or 2008 but he said it last January. Consistency thy name is not Barack Obama, runner up. SMILE.

Dr Evil on April 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Hopefulle his ‘spending reductions in the tax code’ bs makes it onto the list next week.

BadgerHawk on April 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM

He’d be wise to pull a Johnson and not seek reelection.

turfmann on April 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

All he does is pull his Johnson

darwin-t on April 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I voted for this one because as this campaign season goes forward folks, mainstream Americans will look at this statement and wonder if this President is really looking out for “my interest”, or his pathetic “petty sacrifices” that come with the office. How many Americans will be going on “long walks” this summer because they will have no money to fill their gas tanks at $5 dollars a gallon? How many Americans will take long walks to the grocery store to take their minds off the skyrocketing price of basic foods they can barely afford?

How many Americans will realize that it is President Obama’s “energy policies” (and his blatant refusal to allow this nation to produce our vast fossil fuel, coal, and natural gas resources), is basically his own version of cap and trade by Presidential fiat?

How many rounds of golf did the average American get to play in the past two years while this President, and his failed fiscal policies have decimated our pocketbooks?

The only “long walk” this American is looking forward to, is the long walk down the steps of the White House on January 20th 2013 as he exits this place he holds with so much disdain—and Obama will finally be free to play all the rounds of golf his heart desires. Tee it up!

Rovin on April 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

itsspideyman on April 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Actually there is a company in Indiana called Bright Automotive that does.

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I had to go with accusing Republicans of hurting seniors since his own large reduction in Medicare goes unmentioned.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

This guy’s Treasury secretary is such a GD skeevy liar.

Speakup on April 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Waste, fraud, or abuse?

All the above.

RealMc on April 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Although I like the GOP choice, I went with excuses to golf. In 2012, let’s give President Jackass the opportunity to take long walks and pump his own gas in his hybrid minivan by returning him to private life.

Now that I think about it, I golf because I can’t afford to walk around a shopping mall and buy new things. I golf because going away on a vacation is too expensive, and I don’t want to blow cash at the beach because I may need it if I lose my job.

But if I lose my job due to the rotten economy, then I will have plenty of time to golf. Hope and Change!

Philly on April 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

He’d be wise to pull a Johnson and not seek reelection.

turfmann on April 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM
All he does is pull his Johnson
darwin-t on April 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Again folks, the hawkster is currently living in a hotel and when I’m caused to laugh out loud, the neighbors pound on the walls.

hawkdriver on April 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM

OOTW: Five reasons that Palin called Obama a coward yesterday.

SlaveDog on April 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I voted, but I reserve the right to make my vote symbolic or political and to take it back.

kringeesmom on April 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Watching the Sunday shows. I now have a way to raise money to pay off the National Debt. Each time anyone mentions the words “millionaires and billionaires” they must make a 10k donation to the National Debt. Why in one interview I heard a dem mention “millionaires and billionaires” 3 times. While 10K a pop is a pittance, the money could add up quite quickly.

kringeesmom on April 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Rovin on April 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Reminds me of the terrible sacrifices he had to make in order to keep his little Blackberry. When a man complains that his leisure is a sacrifice you have to wonder to what degree his ability to have empathy for the rest of the country exists.

fourdeucer on April 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM

No:1.

If one is going to cast an arrogant, kiss-off, one should first be sure of one’s facts.

OldEnglish on April 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

..when I served under President Bush, I had a real Commander in Chief. I loved him and I loved serving for him. I took it personal when he did exactly the opposite of President Obama and was excoriated for it. And the media, well, you know the media. What a difference a Letter makes.

(D) Barrark Obama.
(R) President Bush.

hawkdriver on April 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Hawk, (1) thank you for your service and bravery, (2) re Bush: same here. He may have done some things I disagree with but being a self-absorbed, narcissistic, hypocritical, pantload full of festering road waste was not an attribute that could be hung around his neck.

Here’s hoping the mirror-fogging, mouth-breathing cretinous maroons who voted for this piece of crap wake up from their coma in 2012.

The War Planner on April 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM

You forgot one, Captain Ed…O’bama’s “cool phones in the Oval Office” fantasy.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Voting against raising the debt ceiling then-Good!

Voting against raising the deby ceiling now- Bad!

The Three Faces of Eve Two Faces of Obama.

profitsbeard on April 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Speaking of hybrid vehicles, a friend of mine here in New Hampshire sent out a picture he snapped yesterday on his visit to our State’s farthest Left (and also one of its richest) towns. That would be Hanover, home of Dahtmouth College. Hanover started putting charging outlets in some of the public parking spaces even before there were electric cars.

There has been a new Government Motors Chevy Volt sitting in a spot right across the street from a gas station where the price is now $4.12 per gallon. It has now been on sale since December.

No takers.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

kringeesmom on April 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

The Democrats and this failed President will be using the “millionaires and billionaires” mantra to promote their favorite class warfare from here to eternity—(2012). Conservatives MUST be prepared to combat this narrative by example: “Who do you honestly think is more capable of creating or providing you a job—your current political representative, your current President, or a millionaire/billionaire?” “Further, are you factually aware that this current Democratic leadership has done everything in their power to prevent millionaires and billionaires from investing in job creation because of this nation’s highest capital gains taxation in world compared to other developing countries?”

Has anyone ask our President or the Democrats “Why Can’t We Be An Emerging Economy”???

Every working day in the financial media, business pundits and guest economist constantly use the phrase “emerging economies like India and China”. Which begs the question: Why is the United States no longer considered an emerging economy? Why have the people of this great nation allowed the Democratic liberal agenda—along with the environmental protectionist—been allowed to become so powerful in stifling manufacturing, innovation, and yes, production of our own natural resources that is preventing this nation from its standing as AN EMERGING ECONOMY?

Emerging economies do not come from, or are generated by any government entity ever in world history. They are generated by the investments and innovation from millionaires and billionaires. It is the direct policies of YOUR GOVERNMENT that stand in the way of a more prosperous nation, more jobs, and an emerging economy.

Rovin on April 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

“I golf because I am a patriot.”

This week offers a plethora of choices — once again.

Mutnodjmet on April 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Actually there is a company in Indiana called Bright Automotive that does.

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

From what I see, they only sell fleet cargo vehicles to haul solar panels and tofu to the local commune. I didn’t see any passenger variety unless you just let the kids bounce around in the back.

I wonder how efficient it would be having 2000lb payload when loaded with 10 people.

The comment was a smartazz comment from a dumbazz clearly indicating he doesn’t have a clue much less a coherent energy policy.

91Veteran on April 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Is that because you know he will spread the soap around?

BKennedy on April 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Washing my car is one of the few things I think he can do right.

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

He would screw up a one car funeral.

jdkchem on April 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Who was it that said “Golf is a good walk, wasted.”

oh yeah – Samuel Clemens.

dissent555 on April 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Went with the van thing. Just so “him” – arrogant and clueless.

RedNewEnglander on April 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Ed, here’s your new picture of Bammie for the Obamateurism threads: Great Picture of Obama

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM

So damned hard too choose…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Forced to golf. He had no choice!

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM

From this blog to God’s ear….

landlines on April 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Washing my car is one of the few things I think he can do right.

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Racist /

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Although I’m not sure how many passengers it holds, Lexus does make the RX400H which is pretty good sized. Perhaps Obama could buy him a couple, he’s got the money.

bflat879 on April 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM

That one was tough.

Dopenstrange on April 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Indeed. Hardest set to choose from in a while.

Had to go with whinging about his anonymity, since it came just days after he launched his $1B re-election campaign.

Dodd on April 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Washing my car is one of the few things I think he can do right.

Tommy_G on April 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I don’t think so. Has little Bammie ever washed a car? Sounds too much like work for him.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM

The bait and switch on Demagoguing was an easy choice. I would vote for the dead cockroach lying in the corner before I would vote for Obama. They are both lying constantly but at least the dead cockroach is constantly changing his position.

KW64 on April 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM

The bait and switch on Demagoguing was an easy choice. I would vote for the dead cockroach lying in the corner before I would vote for Obama. They are both lying constantly but at least the dead cockroach is NOT constantly changing his position.

KW64 on April 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM

KW64 on April 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM

All of the above

NoFanofLibs on April 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

For those who haven’t heard it yet, too good to miss:

TN assist. football coach, age 26, fired over song

He’ll make more money when this song becomes a big hit than he would teaching school.
Tennessee middle school assistant football coach, age 26, fired for a song he wrote and played!!!
When you go to the link for the song, there are a couple of sites that give the news on the firing.
This could be the next number one hit country song.
It’s the best effort yet at encapsulating the outrage at the oversteps of this government in an entertaining song .
Apparently the guy was fired over the song because some parents complained. Shameful if it´s true.
If you like it, help it go “viral” by passing it along to everyone you know.

petefrt on April 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Rovin on April 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Don’t joke about that. I’m seriously thinking about getting by bicycle out of storage and riding the 19 miles to work. If gas gets that high I’ll have to ride. I can’t afford to waste the money for a part time job.

chemman on April 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I had to pick the golfing excuse – actually, that’s one of the most imaginative ones I’ve heard.

uncivilized on April 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM

golfing for you, for the sake of the country.

betsyz on April 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I know that it’s splitting hairs, but only the first (“buy a hybrid van”) qualifies as amateurish. The other are all lies or demagogic rhetoric. That he gets away with those lies and class-warfare arguments shows that there are many in the media and the public who are amateurs, but not necessarily Soetero himself.

Freelancer on April 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

What?!? “Spending reductions in the tax code” didn’t make the list?

WannabeAnglican on April 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM

He’d be wise to pull a Johnson and not seek reelection.

turfmann on April 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

In an attempt to shore up the San Francisco base?

dthorny on April 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM