Oddly enough, new Obama deficit “working group” off to a bad start

posted at 9:32 pm on April 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

What’s the difference, you ask, between this and the Bowles/Simpson Deficit Commission whose plan went nowhere last year? I … don’t know. The members are different, for one thing. Plus, the Deficit Commission was designed to let Obama avoid leadership on the debt crisis during his first two years in office. The deficit “working group” is really more designed to let Obama avoid leadership on the debt crisis during his second two years in office. So, there’s a difference.

No one, Congress included, is taking this charade seriously anymore.

Obama asked [congressional] leaders this week to name 16 lawmakers – four per caucus – to begin bipartisan negotiations in May led by Vice President Joe Biden, but not all of them agreed.

Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) named only two senators, while Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) appears to have settled on only one. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is also expected to pick fewer than four representatives. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has not said how many she will appoint…

“Listen, we’ve had commissions around here and we’ve had commissions,” Boehner said Friday when asked if he’d make appointments. “Nobody has ever paid much attention. And clearly, the president didn’t pay any attention to his own deficit reduction commission. The conversations are going to continue. We’ll know more in the future.”…

“I don’t understand why it was proposed, first of all getting 16 people or 18 in the room to do all this, yet when we already have a fiscal commission report and House and Senate talks underway, doesn’t make a lot of sense to me,” Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), a Gang of Six negotiator, told POLITICO.

Reid’s two appointees, according to Politico, are porkmonger Daniel Inouye and Deficit Commission member Max Baucus, who voted no on the Bowles/Simpson plan. Not included in the working group are any members of the “Gang of Six,” whom Reid wants to keep on a separate track since, unlike this group, there’s at least a chance that they’ll come up with something. Ace asked a good question yesterday: At this point, what “new” information does Obama expect to glean from an additional commission? The choices have been clear for 25 years — new taxes, entitlement reform, or (inevitably) some combination thereof. If he’s unwilling to tackle Medicare spending, then it’s time for him to be the Pericles that the media assures us he is and convince the middle class that they need a significant tax hike. If, as he said the other day, he’s all about the burden being shared equally, I’m sure they’ll understand and won’t punish the Democrats at all. Time to be that super-liberal warrior whom the left was so excited to glimpse a few days ago. “Tax hikes for a fairer America”: That sounds like a campaign slogan to me.

Speaking of which, via CNS, here’s Pelosi trying to lead a half-hearted cheer on the Hill today and inadvertently reminding everyone why she’s no longer Speaker.

Comments

So why are Mitch McConnell and John Boehner going along with this charade? Why appoint anyone. If they want to make a point then refuse flat out to be a part of it.

sharrukin on April 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM

She’s good with her fists.

Electrongod on April 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I’d prefer “Go West and Raise Cain! 2012″

ted c on April 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Is Joe sleeping in that meeting too?

ted c on April 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Boehner should give this the respect it deserves by appointing his dog.

forest on April 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM

She’s good with her fists.

Electrongod on April 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM

EWWWWWWWW!

darwin-t on April 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM

If Obama wants another commission he should have to pay for it himself. The GOP should show this commission the respect it deserves by appointing the first 3 civillians to walk into the Capitol building.

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Why is Nanzi still getting airtime here.

OmahaConservative on April 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM

EWWWWWWWW!

darwin-t on April 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I know..I know.
With the sound on mute, it looked like she was giving a science lesson on nuclear fusion. But with the sound on, it became clear that she was just fission.
Note: Muting her is far more pleasant to the ears. Turning away isn’t bad either. Anyway, I gained nothing by clicking that video.

Electrongod on April 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM

“Tax hikes for a fairer America”: That sounds like a campaign slogan to me.”

Interesting…

… Let us take a look at what that might look like.

Yeah, Obowma, that’s a winner…

… Go with it!

Seven Percent Solution on April 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM

[kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM]

Yeah! I hope the first one in the door is Walter Williams. Anyone else?

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM

… Let us take a look at what that might look like.

Yeah, Obowma, that’s a winner…

… Go with it!

Seven Percent Solution on April 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I just can’t understand. Just can’t enter that mindset. I would be outright embarrassed to be standing there not working demanding for others to give me cash.
Just not the way I was raised.

Electrongod on April 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Yeah! I hope the first one in the door is Walter Williams. Anyone else?

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Now you got me thinking, How ’bout Walter, Herman Cain and Thomas Sowell… Oh and the dog from the Where are the Jobs ads.

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM

For over 20 years, at Athens’ height, the city was dominated by the aloof, ‘Olympian’ figure of Pericles. A magnificent orator with a reputation for scrupulous honesty, Pericles deepened and extended the reforms that Cleisthenes had set in motion some 50 years before.

Aloof? Check.
Olympian? Hmmm…Greek Columns? Okay, check.
Magnificent orator? Uh oh, starting to fall apart.
Reputation for scrupulous honesty? Oops, serious fail here.

Sorry, Obama is no Pericles.

Dee2008 on April 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Just not the way I was raised.

Electrongod on April 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Neither did I…

… but THAT is what we are up against, along with a very large voting block crossing the Southern Border illegally by the day.

I guess political power is more important than the United States of America after all…

Who knew?

Seven Percent Solution on April 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

[kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM]

Yes, Sowell, too. Not sure about Cain. He seems like a big picture man. Not that that is bad but it doesn’t fit well with the need to have nimble number crunching and economic principles folks ready to bat down stupidity at the spur of the moment with facts and data. I can’t think of another right off, but John Stossell is that type and he has the media talent for keeping the public informed.

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

If Nancy really wants to hear a full throated cheer, all she need do is announce her resignation.

GarandFan on April 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

If you want to see Cain work with #’s watch his debate with Bill Clinton… What do you think about appointing the dog?

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Isn’t that Mayor Vincent Gray to the right who was arrested awile back!

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM

kringeesmom:I have it saved,here ya go!!:)
===============================================

Herman Cain Takes On Bill Clinton
**********************************

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM

===============================================

Herman Cain Takes On Bill Clinton
**********************************

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Bless you oh lord of the links!!!

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM

… Let us take a look at what that might look like.

Yeah, Obowma, that’s a winner…

… Go with it!

Seven Percent Solution on April 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Thats a good one 7,thanks!:)

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM
===================
Bless you oh lord of the links!!!

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM

kringeesmom:”O”Blessed are the google,hehe,anytime:)

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Did you notice how small Nancy’s audience was?

INC on April 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM

canopfor on April 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Thanks for the link, both of you. Now I need a link for the dog! :)

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Dusty on April 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I am a horrible linker….. It was a GOP senate ad, the theme was “where are the jobs” the dog was some type of hound, probably a blood hound.

kringeesmom on April 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Hey, Joe Biden is shown as being awake in that photo. Was this photoshopped?

OneVision on April 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Love the opening graph…spot on!!!

winston on April 16, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Just more smoke for the mirrors in Zero’s house of cards. BTW, has anyone seen the first dog, Bo, lately. Maybe they’ll drag him out for a photo op later in the campaign.

Kissmygrits on April 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Why is there always more horse’s arses than there are horses?

Herb on April 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM

There are what, 20 people at that “rally”? LOL!

“Hands off of my Medicare”? Hands off of our money! It is not your medicare, it is our money taken from us by force.

You say that you can’t afford Health Insurance? Too bad. Neither can I. I don’t have any. But I don’t demand that others buy it for me. Keep your hands off of my (very limited amounts of) money.

Theophile on April 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

There are what, 20 people at that “rally”? LOL!

Theophile on April 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Yeah, and isn’t it nice that they were all given those pretty yellow pre-fabbed matching signs to hold up? They were probably getting paid to be there, too.

But seriously, anybody notice how Pelosi seemed to be shaking? Really, I wonder if she’s starting to show signs of Parkinson’s disease or something.

UltimateBob on April 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM

UltimateBob on April 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Never as bad as that time that Congressional leaders came out for a statement on the need for TARP during the crisis. Her head was going like a woodpecker and I thought she was going to collapse on the spot.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM