International crisis: Jerry Seinfeld tells British chat show that absurd royal wedding is absurd

posted at 8:08 pm on April 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

If you think I’m kidding about the “crisis” part, go look at Google News. There are seven full pages of headlines — and counting — since he chimed in.

Alternate headline: “Jerry Seinfeld voices feelings of everybody in America.”

The segment, taped in New York, was thrown back to the studio in London, where the show’s hosts were not amused.

“How dare he!” chided anchor Christine Bleakley.

Prim and proper Adrian Chiles was even more ruffled.

“I’ll join in on any of that stuff, if it’s a Brit doing it. But I can’t bear Americans criticizing the Royal family,” he said. “It turns me into a Royalist!”

Skip ahead to 2:10 for the most impolitic American observations on the royals since Frank Drebin met “the Queen.” I’m tempted to say that this is the end of the “special relationship,” but Obama’s already killed that. And thanks to Libya, NATO’s headed towards a crack-up anyway. No harm, Jerry, no foul.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Blake on April 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Didn’t he throw a huge wedding in the Hamptons for his bride? I don’t think the ink was dry on her divorce papers. Sure he kept the details secret but he’s a private citizen. I don’t understand why he cares on way or the other.

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Don’t ask the question if you don’t want to hear the answer…

equanimous on April 15, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I’ll join in on any of that stuff, if it’s a Brit doing it. But I can’t bear Americans criticizing the Royal family,” —Now these twerps understand what it’s like for us to watch the viciously anti-American BBC.

WarEagle01 on April 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM

This is so Seinfeld. Kramer barges in on Jerry and George and Jerry says, “not now, Kramer, I just upset all of Britain.” Kramer says “whoa, you don’t criticize the Queen’s own family, Jerry.”

Jerry: “I KNOOOW!”

George: “Who decided it was ‘Great’ Britain anyway? Could Italy just decide that it wanted to be called ‘Incredible Italy’?”

Jerry: “Super Spain”

George: “What about ‘Fantastic France’? Hey, could I be Great George?”

etc. repeat weekly for 9 years.

Greek Fire on April 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Go Jerry!

CWforFreedom on April 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I agree with everything he said. I don’t care about the royal wedding and frankly I don’t know a single whonoes. But is it just me or did Jerry come off just a tad grouchy?

terryannonline on April 15, 2011 at 11:28 PM

The Royals didn’t even derive their privilege or position from the will of the people. They just happened to pop out of the right crotch.

Oh wait… is it too soon? It was Lady Diana’s crotch after all.

Mark V. on April 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM

It was Lady Diana’s crotch after all.

Mark V. on April 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Technically hers isn’t the one that mattered.

But yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. I don’t get it. I mean, it’s nice to see as a tourist or something, but to pay for this as part of your tax dollars? Does that really make sense?

Esthier on April 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Man, not a romantic bone in any of your bodies, is there?

My sisters and I got up early to watch Diana’s wedding so in keeping with that tradition, my daughter (she’s the same age I was back then) and I are getting up early to watch this wedding.

We both saw Westminster Abbey on a trip with her French class and it will be fun to see a wedding take place there.

We like the pomp and circumstance and the history surrounding royal weddings, especially since we’re not the taxpayers paying for it.

Common Sense on April 16, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Aaaaaauuuuuuwwwwwwgggghh you crazy Pommies. Love the Sein.

motionview on April 16, 2011 at 12:55 AM

For ONCE i finally agree with Seinfeld. Nobody gives a rats-crack about these British clowns.

tx2654 on April 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Jerry who?

Even the Royal disasters are important for Britain. Few people outside of Britain even know who their current PM is, but they know the Royals.

Maybe if France still had a royal family (and an interesting one at that) their image over here would be better.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 16, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Seinfeld had never done anything for anyone but himself. The Queen is a veteran – and on the good side, too.

What evidence do you have that Seinfeld has never done anything for anyone but himself?

Whether he has or not, how is that even remotely relevant to what he said?

Fed45 on April 16, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Alternate headline: “Jerry Seinfeld voices feelings of everybody in America.”

Very funny Allah. Agree completely.

bigbeas on April 16, 2011 at 2:07 AM

As usual, you make no sense.

Blake on April 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM

As usual, you’re a fcking dumbass that can’t grasp the meaning behind anything.

blatantblue on April 16, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Have another look at the Google News pages and note how all the stories are from, erm, American news outlets.

Also see, among other things this.

Call off the international crisis! Turns out if there’s one thing Brits care about less than the Royal wedding it’s what American sitcom actors think about it.

SamTrev on April 16, 2011 at 5:43 AM

SamTrev on April 16, 2011 at 5:43 AM

As it should be. None of our business.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Seinfeld’s probably just jealous that another rich guy with a receding hairline is getting a hotter wife than he got.

AZCoyote on April 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I agree with Seinfeld! Who f-ing cares!

Confederate on April 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I am looking forward to the wedding, and for the folks that
are not, well you can sleep in. and Jerry Seinfeld is a
self absorbed rich guy, I really find it hard to care what he thinks about anything.

Bridgette on April 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Wow, I never knew there was so much visceral dislike there is toward the British on here. Apathy about the wedding is fine, I’m English and I couldn’t care less about it myself, but I guess some of you dislike us as much as your scumbag president does. Oh well…

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM

You limeys are okay by me. The visceral dislike is for the idea of monarchy. It’s disgustingly elitist and anti-American.

halfastro on April 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I don’t think it’s dislike of British, we are experiencing a severe case of frugalness right now.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM

halfastro on April 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Amen. The same reason I dislike the idea of “American royalty” when lefty numbskulls refer to the Kennedys.

Shambhala on April 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I guess he’s still ticked off at that English virgin who left him for JFK Jr.

I agree that the interest in it definitely is out of tune with the actual importance but I can’t get all wrought up about it – let those who enjoy it enjoy it; as long as I can see coverage of something non-wedding.

As for any celebrity who has attended any Hollywood awards ceremony, you are not allowed to discuss meaningless hoopla, pretending or people being treated as though special.

RDuke on April 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Maybe I read the thread incorrectly then, but there are some pretty nasty slurs against the Brits along the way here. Still, such is life I guess. I’m obviously feeling brittle and a tad over-sensitive right now! LOL.

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM

halfastro on April 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Of course it is anti-American, that’s why you fought so hard to get rid of it and won out. That victory, much later on, gave me the chance to become a citizen of the greatest country on earth.

Britain is always in my heart, of course, but I just look at it with sadness these days. I love the USA, it’s my home, but the UK broke my heart in so many ways. Sometimes it weighs me down, just a little. But then, I look at the huge Texas sky above me, and life is alright once again.

Heh, “limey.” Haven’t been called that for ages!

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM

As usual, you’re a fcking dumbass that can’t grasp the meaning behind anything.

blatantblue on April 16, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Ahhh, poor baby! Don’t like being called out on your nonsensical comments? Tough!

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I like the Brits. But they don’t like us criticizing them and we don’t like them criticizing us. Fair enough. However, it does seem like the criticisms are mostly coming our way. That gets old.

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Not only are you a citizen of the greatest country on earth, but you live in the greatest state in that greatest country. You are truly blessed, as am I. Hook ‘em.

halfastro on April 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM

The Great Man takes a break from dating 17-year-old high school students and opines about the British Royal family. America listens in rapt silence. Is this guy related to Roman Polanski?

Mason on April 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Lie back and think of England!

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Point taken.

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Here is the only problem with this …. I’m betting Jerry voted for Obama.

moochy on April 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

halfastro on April 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Come Early, Be Loud, Stay Late, Wear Orange. Hook ‘em!

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Coming on strong. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Laviciously lubed and regally ribbed.

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Even the evil and mean Guardian newspaper is respectful towards the Royals, and there goes Jerry and insults one of the only things the Brits collectively love (more or less) and cherish – as an ad to his show!

Seriously, wrong move dude. You’re not in the States.

AlexB on April 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Actually i see nothing wrong with a harmless diversion. But I would question the schizophrenia (split from reality) of a nation that combines the Disney extravaganza of a royal wedding with the stultifying, tedious environment of the Peoples’ Socialistic Republic of Oceania. A weird amalgam of Big Brother and Prince Charming.

MaiDee on April 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Trust me, we all get prickly about something, I personally look forward to watching, enjoying and wishing nothing but unending happiness for the couple.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM

We don’t have anything like that.

Yes, we do. Hollywood. Just as phoney and fake and full of self delusion.

Really, Jerry, look about you.

Disturb the Universe on April 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Dino64 on April 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I love traditional Britain. I have no problem with your having a monarchy–it’s none of my business.

DrMagnolias on April 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM

When I was a kid, my older sister had a comedy album about Lucy Baines wedding. It was hysterical.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Oh, I found it on the internet. Too funny!

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM

The Brits aren’t all worked up over the wedding and probably could care less what an American comedian thinks.

lexhamfox on April 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I’m looking forward to Giles and Sue’s Royal Wedding. LINK

Blake on April 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Forgive me, but isn’t Sienfeld one of our Hollywood nitwits who hasn’t a clue how the “real” half lives, nor even wants to know what we think? Where does he get off telling the Brits what to do when we can’t even get Hollywood to realize all they do special is read from a script and get paid mega-bucks for doing it.

Noelie on April 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Alternate headline: “Jerry Seinfeld voices feelings of everybody in America.”

Very funny Allah. Agree completely.

Speak for yourselves. I can think for myself without Seinfeld and alla attempting to do it for me. if you don’t like the wedding, ignore it, just like I generally ignore idiots like Seinfeld, although of course I do subject myself to Alla.

Noelie on April 16, 2011 at 8:20 PM

The Royal Wedding: a show about nothing.
(Apologies if already said.)

elvis on April 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Sad. Maybe no one over here cares, but to openly say that is classless and crude–just what Americans are known for. As Seinfeld once said on interview: Hey, don’t you know who I am? Most of the comments on this thread sound like something an ignorant lib would say.

AReadyRepub on April 17, 2011 at 12:17 AM