Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on April 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Some bright, talented, and highly qualified Republicans are thinking about running for president. Haley Barbour of Mississippi, Mitch Daniels of Indiana, Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota, and Mitt Romney of Massachusetts—all current or former governors—are eminently capable. Regardless of whether you like or agree with them, they are worthy of consideration for the Republican nomination.

“How demoralizing it must be, then, for them to look at national polling that shows Donald Trump tied for first place for the GOP nomination…

‘It’s downright embarrassing,’ confessed one former Republican House member, when apprised of the results. Of course, Trump’s chances of winning the GOP nomination are exceedingly remote, to say the least, and his poll numbers are all about name recognition. Anyone assuming that the reality-show host’s interest in running for president is just another one of his publicity stunts would not likely be wrong. But what does it say about the Republican Party or, for that matter, the American people that this guy gets a second glance? Could a Jersey Shore personality be far behind?”

***
“What accounts for Trump’s (likely temporary) spot on top of the polls? It is not, contrary to conventional wisdom, his loony indulgence of the Obama ‘birther’ movement. No one really takes that seriously, probably not even him. I suspect something larger is at work.

“As they did with Lee Iacocca in the ’80s and then with H. Ross Perot—who might well have become president in 1992 if he hadn’t appeared to be a lunatic—Americans long for a straight-talking businessman who can save the country from the political class that fouled everything up. The recent budget battle is only the latest sign of the cluelessness of Washington culture. Only in the nation’s capital could a group of people bicker for weeks over reducing the federal budget by either 1 percent or 2 percent, agree to do nothing about entitlement programs that will soon bankrupt us, and then get hailed by each other and by much of the media—from MSNBC to Fox—as courageous budget cutters. Trump appears to offer something more than yawn-inducing grandstanding to a fed-up populace.

“He drew wild reviews for his debut speech at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference from a savvy, if eccentric, batch of political junkies who’d become accustomed to a procession of wax-museum dummies as potential nominees. Washington is full of Mitt Rombots now: the calculated passion, the dreary buzzwords, the obligatory homage to Ronald Reagan, the by-the-numbers attacks on Obama and liberals. Trump did something else at CPAC—he told people what he thought, apparently without making any use of a pollster.”

***
“When pressed repeatedly if he would rule out the possibility of running with Trump, the Republican House freshman did not say that the idea was off the table.

“‘Who knows what’s going to happen,’ West said when asked if he’d accept a veep invitation from Trump. ‘If the people think that I have an ability to continue my service of my country in a different capacity, first of all we gotta talk to God, we gotta talk to my family, we gotta talk to the constituents.’”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Fossten, isn’t that a bit of a sexist remark there?

Trump is such an alpha male, I think he would upstage most PEOPLE in a negotiating room.

I listened to Trump’s interview with Hannity as I was multi tasking overnight here and he sounds really good on a lot of issues. He manages to give a credible explanation behind sending $$ to Dems (because NY is SO democratic), but still not buying why he sent $$ to Emanuel, unless it was because of his Chicago project. He also credibly addressed what he meant by 3rd party. He claimed that if the polls show he could WIN in a 3rd party race and he didn’t get the R nomination, he would do it, otherwise he wouldn’t because he doesn’t want Obama anywhere near the oval office in 2013. However, I question why he would think he could win a 3rd party race if he can’t even get the R nomination.

Since we have a totally different primary season this cycle, it is not guaranteed a frontrunner comes out in the early states and knocks out everyone else early. It is possible that the early frontrunner might not be the person who brings it home at the end of the process.

What makes this cycle also unique is that Trump is getting conservative support, or so some polls suggest (yes I did see the poll where he takes support from rino Romney).

Regardless, we have to presume that Obama has the hard core 20% lefty progressives and 13% black vote totally locked in. So he starts with 33%. I don’t see how any 3rd party would win in that situation.

I am still really ambivalent about him because I like a lot of what he is saying, but I don’t totally TRUST him right now.

karenhasfreedom on April 15, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Regarding my 7:04 remark, at the end, I was referring to not totally trusting Trump right now.

Why, oh why must I have to choose from such a sordid bunch of people. I want to see a statesman, a patriot, someone with sense, a gentleman, or a lady run for the presidency. Someone who can beat Obama, which I don’t think is going to be as difficult as it looks.

ted c on April 15, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Please explain to me where Sarah has not demonstrated that she is a patriot and stateswoman, as well as a lady?

karenhasfreedom on April 15, 2011 at 7:09 AM

karen; you’re right, she is, but I don’t believe that she is running. I don’t think she wants to.

ted c on April 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM

So Charlie Cook doesn’t mention she who must not be named…

unseen on April 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Remember when the meme was “go ahead and run her, Obozo will win in a landslide”?? That reverse psych didn’t work, and it only made her base stronger.

Now it’s “Man, we gotta ignore her and hope she goes away”. They are telling us who they fear the most.

Jerome Horwitz on April 15, 2011 at 7:12 AM

Gasbag Trump is a Democrat mole meant to f up the GOP’s chances in 2012.

There can be no other explanation.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM

I believe Palin is running and will announce in early July, or on the 2nd anniversary of her resignation as governor (read somewhere that there is some sort of legal time limit regarding her governor service or something, not sure what that is about).

Just like Huck said on Foxnews last night (think it was greta, not sure, I watched all 3 shows in row while I was multi tasking), and he said he won’t announce either way until this summer.

We know that Trump will announce on or after 5/16 after/during the Apprentice finale.

I think the candidates will all be in by August. If Palin has not declared then, all of us Palinistas will have our private meltdown moments and then figure out the next best candidate and go to it.

karenhasfreedom on April 15, 2011 at 7:16 AM

his poll numbers are all about name recognition

I don’t believe this; I think Trump’s tapped into America’s revulsion to the socialist hippie psycho.

Recognizing that, I believe West could bring the same straight talking, in yo face logic, but in a more acceptable political package.

Alden Pyle on April 15, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Trump has some SPLAINING to do as to why he was ass kissing ozero back in 07 and 08 for sure.

He disliked bush immensely because he perceived the wars to be unnecessary.

I just don’t trust Trump, I am not completely comfortable that he is putting country FIRST in his actions here. All of his past actions shows he puts TRUMP first.

His vitriol against obama appears very genuine, so if he is playing the role of a fake spoiler mole to gum up the republican primary, then Clinton is going to have to make her moves known sometime this year if Trump is posturing for her benefit. As I said, I don’t really trust Trump and I can’t figure out his angle here.

karenhasfreedom on April 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Gasbag Trump is a Democrat mole meant to f up the GOP’s chances in 2012.

There can be no other explanation.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM

At best it’s a attempt to cash in on the current mood of the country (isn’t he planning to announce on his TV show? Ratings, anyone?), or, at worst, like you said, a Demonrat plant because Plan A of a Bloomberg third party run (smart businessman who’ll fix this mess, but really meant to split the vote) didn’t pan out because he constantly puts his foot in his mouth. Chump is Plan B.

Once again, I can’t believe I agree with you.

Jerome Horwitz on April 15, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Who would want the job of President? I mean really….

TEXASLEGAL on April 15, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Thank you, Dave. Whatever you say, the opposite is always true. Now that you have spoken, I can support Trump without any qualms///

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 7:30 AM

OT: read that first sentence and thought, he’s even taking a backseat to this campaign

President Barack Obama made his debut as a candidate for reelection on Thursday night by urging hometown supporters to “take ownership” of his infant campaign while he continues his “day job.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53243.html#ixzz1JafCnSnL

cmsinaz on April 15, 2011 at 7:30 AM

cmsinaz on April 15, 2011 at 7:30 AM

He must be too busy golfing. And squeezing fruit. And sittin’ in the aprk watching the grass grow.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Read the headline on Drudge.
Alana on April 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM

So it begins. The pushback is starting. I knew the Mitt wing wouldn’t be long to get into attack mode.
Mitt truther unseen on April 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM

OMG. Do you ever take your tinfoil hat off?

Buy Danish on April 15, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM

of course, what was I thinking :)

cmsinaz on April 15, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Just imagine the debates between Trump and Obama

Barack; “I’m a Christian, and you’re a capitalist.”
Donald: “You’re no Christian, I’m a Christian -you’re a socialist.”
Barack:” Everybody knows I’ve been a Christian,ever since I was a Muslim”
Donald: “If you’re a Christian, how come you’re for killing all those babies – especially the black ones?”
Barack: “There was no lamb’s blood over their mantles when I sent my civilian army in”
Donald: “That was the Jewish God, Barack”
Barack: “They didn’t have any waivers, man. Like it says in the Qur.. er, bible!”

Don L on April 15, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Here’s the final nail in the coffin for Trump, and why we should all (birthers included!) run from Trump: NY1 Exclusive: Donald Trump Slams “Evil” Bush, Praises Obama

Trump, you’re fired.

Also, as Mark Levin recently reminded us: “He (Trump) was happy to donate to Schumer, Weiner, & Emanuel campaigns last year. He was pro-choice recently and now claims to be pro-life. He sounds more & more like Ross Perot. If he runs as an Independent, Obama wins.”

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Gasbag Trump is a Democrat mole meant to f up the GOP’s chances in 2012.

There can be no other explanation.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM

“No other explanation”?

Well, now that YOU’VE said it, I know it isn’t true.

fossten on April 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Gasbag Trump is a Democrat mole meant to f up the GOP’s chances in 2012.

There can be no other explanation.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Thanks for the concern/

AH_C on April 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I just read that. Disgusting. In Spanish, easy for y’all to read: “El quiere estar con Dios y con el diablo a la misma vez.”

ProudPalinFan on April 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM

All of his past actions shows he puts TRUMP first.

karenhasfreedom on April 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM

It’s strictly business with Trump, we have to hold him at arms length. If Trump is to be nominated, it should only be by answering in the affirmative: is Trump, acting in his own personal best interest, as President, going to serve the country’s best interest? I don’t see him as a corrupt leader giving direct benefit to Trump companies, but aren’t there other issues that he would have to tackle, eg debt crisis, that are causing problems for the market, which he dominates anyway?

Greek Fire on April 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Fossten, isn’t that a bit of a sexist remark there?

karenhasfreedom on April 15, 2011 at 7:04 AM

No, it isn’t. I didn’t say anything about Palin being a woman. I was referring to the way that she is perceived. I have trouble picturing her going into a room and twisting arms (i.e. Schumer, Reid, Boehner), whereas I don’t have trouble picturing Trump doing that. She doesn’t have the ‘intimidation factor.’ Even Hillary has a bit of it. Palin doesn’t have that ‘mean streak’ that I want to see.

I’m a Palin supporter by the way – I’d love to see her as President. She’d have a rough road as President. She doesn’t have 30 years of throwing elbows in conference rooms like Trump does. He would be more effective.

If there was a way to combine Trump’s skills with Palin’s principles, that would be best.

fossten on April 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM

I do wonder if the ratings for The Apprentice have improved?

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 7:30 AM

I was with you Asian’s Girl, and still consider myself a proud birther, but see my post above. Trump’s gotta go. I was initially thrilled to see him attacking Obama on the birth certificate issue, but we can clearly see now Trump is all over the place with his beliefs and positions, and SURELY no conservative. He MIGHT have been good for the economy, but that would have about been it.

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM

ProudPalinFan on April 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I made out “with”, and the devil and God in there using my semi-Spanish knowledge, and then just did a quick Google translate-I couldn’t agree more.

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I truly believe that Trump is a plant by the same cretins who tried to launch the “No Labels” brigade but couldn’t get any traction. No Labels didn’t get any where with the moderate republicans or independents so they decided to use the “birther” thing to get somewhere with the Tea Party and split the Tea Party vote. Most of the Tea Party people I know are independents. I reside in Fl-22 so it will be very interesting to see what happens in Boca this Saturday. I really think people are showing up to see Allen West and Trump decided to steal West’s thunder.

Jayrae on April 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Aslan’s Girl, do you honestly believe that Trump doesn’t attend parties at George Soros’ Hampton estate? Talk about sheeple, geez! What a coup for Soros to screw the Tea Party.

Jayrae on April 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM

My sarcasm must’ve gotten in the way: I meant that I wouldn’t take Dave Rywall’s word for Trump being a plant to hurt the GOP. I’m still supporting Trump.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Jayrae on April 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM

We’ll see. I have to say though that anyone who believes Trump is a plant has an even bigger conspiracy theory than that of the “birthers”.

If he’s a plant or if he’s in this only for self-promotion, he’s alienting all his buddies with his conservative social-issues stance… if he doesn’t want to alienate the Left of NY, then virtually everyone on the Left would have to be in on the conspiracy. He’s not going to damage his rep just to help someone else (either Hil or O) his ego is too big for that.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM

“He’s just not presidential caliber.”

Man, it’s so good to know that at least Obama is presidential caliber.

shick on April 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 8:26 AM

No, I understood you perfectly, and like I was saying-I was willing to support Trump until I started finding out things like:

Donald Trump Slams “Evil” Bush, Praises Obama

Trump was happy to donate to Schumer, Weiner, & Emanuel campaigns last year.

Harry Reid’s Richest Donor: Donald Trump

As I’ve said already, Trump is all over the place with his beliefs and positions, and SURELY no conservative. He MIGHT have been good for the economy, but that would have about been it. I’d highly recommend (again, as a proud birther-and you can search the site and see some of my previous comments to verify that) that anyone who was considering supporting Trump start opening their eyes, and be honest with yourself enough to say “I made a mistake”

dave_ross on April 15, 2011 at 8:40 AM

My take.

kingsjester on April 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Caliber:

Community Organizer of the United States (COOTUS) = .22 short.

Trump = .300 WinMag.

franksalterego on April 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM

BANG!

fossten on April 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM

It’s no mystery why Trump is polling well.

This is what we crave: http://videosift.com/video/Denny-Crane-for-President?loadcomm=1

We want it in Christie or Palin or someone ready to stand up and say, hell yes, I’m a conservative, and not try so hard to make that palatable to beta males and feminazis.

Trump is out there sticking it to Obama without fear. He’s blunt. He’s aggressive. He’s funny. And he’s so unafraid it is shocking.

Don’t think he’ll be a serious candidate, because he knows how to make a great show, and knows business, but he would be thrown over in a heartbeat for an experienced governor or conservative pol who steps up and shoots straight.

ace tomato on April 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Trumps announcement is a lead up to the final episode of his tv show. Look at the timing for this. He’s not going to run. This is more self promotion from a master. He’s perceived as a successful businessman, just like Mitt. Peel back some layers and check the closet for skeletons.

Kissmygrits on April 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 15, 2011 at 8:26 AM
——

OMG PLEASE TELL US HIS PLATFORM BESIDES BIRTHERIZING

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 9:46 AM

The world runs on ECONOMICS, economics is why the US is where it is today so why not elect an economic ideologue to repair what LAWYERS have destroyed.

royzer on April 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM

The unelectables like Palin, Trump, Blockman aren’t going to beat Obama face it. Look at the polls.

You need to settle for Tim since Mitt could destroy the party if he is nominated..

TimeTraveler on April 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM

And that right there is our problem – the key phrase “settle for Tim”. We are so sick and tired of settling for lesser candidates. When are we going to get a candidate that excites us? Tim is a frickin’ wienie milquetoast that would get steamrolled by Obama, as would the rest of them except for a couple that comes to mind.

silvernana on April 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Look, I don’t think Obama is legally eligible to be President. BUT I think he was born in Hawaii. It’s his father’s British citizenship that disqualifies him. He’s not natural born.
gary4205 on April 15, 2011 at 2:59 AM

So you are admitting you don’t believe he is legally eligible to be President, and you’re OK with that? And everyone else should just shut up about it? A lot of people are not OK with that, and Trump is serving a purpose here.

silvernana on April 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM

gary4205 on April 15, 2011 at 2:59 AM

——-
ha ha ha so awesomely ludicrous!

Now go back and disqualify all the other presidents who violate your special new criteria.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Why are some conservatives thinking Trump will cut spending?? Here is Trump on Paul Ryan’s budget plan:

Excerpt:

TRUMP
Emphasizing that he “cherish[es] our seniors,” The Donald said in an interview that Republicans are on a risky “ledge” by backing a plan that could be perceived as hurting older Americans. “I’d have to study the plan,” Trump said in an interview on CNN. “I will tell you, I think it’s very dangerous for the Republicans to go on this ledge, because I, for one, would have to be very, very careful.”

“I have a lot of respect for Paul Ryan, but what is happening is the Republicans are going way, way, way far out on the ledge,” he said.

squeek71 on April 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Trump supported Hillary and her socialized medicine plan in the 2008 election:

And he doesn’t understand why “the blacks” (his words) didn’t support Hillary because she had merit (This is a recent interview):

squeek71 on April 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Perhaps Trump dislikes Obama so much now, because he loves Hillary so very much! He also mentioned recently in a Hannity interview that it is only fair to point out that the economy did well under Bill Clinton. He is always praising the Clintons! Yes, all true conservatives think the Clintons are just grand!!

And after all the “blood for oil” nastiness thrown at us, a republican candidate calling to seize Libya’s and Iraq’s oil fields is just great!! And while we’re at it, why don’t we raise the price of Chinese goods by 25 percent while we are in the middle of a recession? We can afford to pay more for our household goods! And hey, why don’t we ban assault weapons and make waiting periods to buy guns longer? All of these are Trump positions. But, he is a real deal conservative savior.

If these were any real republican’s positions, we would be running him or her out of the party. But, because it is coming from Mr. Trump, somehow we are willing to throw away our principles?? I wouldn’t vote for this liberal even if someone as awesome as West were on the ticket!

squeek71 on April 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

If you want a conservative — tried and true — businessman who HASN’T declared bankruptcy on his businesses, look at Herman Cain. If you want an awesome, brilliant man who will fight the enemy we face, draft West. If you want a policy wonk type, vote Pawlenty. Shoot, vote for any of them. But, please don’t vote for a man who donated a ton of money to Harry Reid in the all-important 2010 election! (and even more recently donated to Rahmbo in his mayoral race). I can’t believe people are actually defending this stuff!

squeek71 on April 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Trumps a plant to get Obama re-elected.

Trump stated he would run as an Independent if he didn’t become the Republican nominee, which we all know he won’t.

So Trump running as an Independent, who does that help??

jeffersonschild on April 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM

The Democratic Party, which nominated and, with the major help of their propaganda arm – the mainstream media, elected, Barak Obama to the Presidency. They have no right to call anybody not presidential caliber.

Theophile on April 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

That`s so much poppycock. People are agreeing with his views and he had a stellar interview with Cavuto the other day.

Sherman1864 on April 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Theophile on April 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

+999,999,999,999

THANK YOU!! WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO THAT PEOPLE-Make a note and staple it to your forhead so you don’t forget it. I’ve said this same thing too-the main stream liberal media-who gave us Obama AND McCain (they destroyed everyone else on BOTH sides) has -9999 credibility at this point. Why are we still giving them this power over us? Are you effing kidding me?

dave_ross on April 18, 2011 at 7:27 AM