Nerds rejoice: First production video from the set of “The Hobbit” released

posted at 7:46 pm on April 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

Is it worth posting this, even as a palate cleanser? I know it’s hotly, hotly anticipated after years of production delays, but c’mon: How many nerds can there be among the Hot Air readership?

Strange but true: I haven’t seen any of the “Lord of the Rings” movies, which isn’t yet quite as embarrassing as never having seen a “Star Wars” flick but probably will be in another 10-20 years. What’s the deal, exactly? There’s some sort of dwarf surrounded by a bunch of monsters and they’re having terrifying adventures in bizarre locations, right? Like “Jersey Shore,” in other words, but with amazing F/X. No? I’m not sitting through nine hours to get caught up, so someone had better fill me in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

petunia on April 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Scroll back up this page ..Missy @ 10:25pm..There is your link to see it!..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Thanks, I came back after I found it at Peter Jackson’s facebook page…

And how cool am I? I went to Peter Jackson’s facebook page and was at least in the first 19,000 people to “like” it…

Gollum is creepy even without makeup… and the dwarfs are much better looking than I pictured them… maybe I will like the movie. I never liked the dwarfs much. But the world Tolkein created is very addictive.

petunia on April 15, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Allah has never even read Tolkein and also he doesn’t believe in God.

Connection?????

Maybe epic adventures bore him.

petunia on April 15, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Let’s get the nerd o meter set correctly, ok?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy watched sparingly isn’t nerdy.

The original Star Wars trilogy watched very sparingly isn’t nerdy.

Star Trek, (except the newest one) is nerdy.

scotash on April 15, 2011 at 3:04 AM

If that link tells you the same as it told me try this one:

{^_^}

herself on April 15, 2011 at 5:25 AM

I’m an avid Tolkien fan, from the Silmarillion, the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings trilogy through the Children of Húrin… but I never cared at all for Star Trek and only have a passing interest in any of the Star Wars films.

I’ve been following the making of the Hobbit movie for what seems like a couple of years now, so I’m thrilled that filming has begun!

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Logic on April 15, 2011 at 6:49 AM

What’s the deal, exactly?

Other than then books being on most top 100 lists of ALL literature (let alone fantasy) no big deal.

MNHawk on April 15, 2011 at 7:22 AM

I bet allah has seen “Rent”.

Twice.

Then bought the dvd.

peacenprosperity on April 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Nice.
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by MovieWeb, Inc..

El Guapo on April 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM

herself on April 15, 2011 at 5:25 AM

Many thanks!

TexasDan on April 15, 2011 at 9:25 AM

If “The Lord of the Rings” movies made $2.6 Billion, tens of millions of “nerds” went to see them!

One of the main themes of “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” is how people can be corrupted by the lust for power. The Hot Air blog is mostly about politics, but some of us can see some of Tolkein’s characters in Washington!

In “The Hobbit”, the title character (Bilbo Baggins) was hired as a burglar. Welcome to Washington in Middle Earth!

It should be a great movie…

Steve Z on April 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM

LotR was the post 9/11 movie that Hollywood never was willing to produce post-9/11.

Seriously, Tolkien took his experiences in WWI, set it in the motif of WWII, and threw in giant honking Eagles to save the day.

Voyager on April 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

To find the video… I googled it and got to Peter Jackson’s Facebook page. It’s there.

petunia on April 15, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Voyager on April 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Tolkien started writing this story in 1936 before WWII had even started. He stated he was interrupted many times as he was writing, most notably by the outbreak of the war, but the outline of the story and the outcome was set in place before it.

Lily on April 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM