House passes budget deal easily, 260-167; Update: GOP sought help from Hoyer on vote

posted at 4:20 pm on April 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

I thought the vote would be epically close. Instead it was a snooze — with one caveat: 59 Republicans voted no, which would have been enough to kill it had Democrats united against it in order to make life hard for Boehner. Instead, thanks in part to Steny Hoyer, 81 of them voted yes (versus 108 who voted no, including Pelosi). I’m mighty curious to know what their calculus was. Were they afraid Obama would look bad if they torpedoed a deal he signed off on? Or are there still enough Democrats left in purplish districts that they wanted to bank some budget-cutting cred ahead of next year’s elections?

A third possibility: Maybe Hoyer, like everyone else in D.C., already has his eyes on the debt-ceiling fight and figured he’d use this vote to remind all sides that centrist Democrats are the key to a compromise.

“We have a choice to make,” Hoyer said. “That choice is whether we will come together, work together, try to make the best possible agreement that we can make and then move together. I think the American public expects us to do that.”

Only a handful of Democrats spoke out against the deal, and many more welcomed the ability of Republicans to back away from steeper cuts in H.R. 1, the House-passed spending bill that would have cut $61 billion compared to Obama’s budget request instead of the nearly $40 billion agreed to last week…

Even during the debate, Republican leaders sought to fight off concerns that the eleventh-hour budget deal would not cut the $39.9 billion negotiators advertised. Conservatives criticized the division of cuts between discretionary and mandatory spending, and the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office issued a report late Wednesday that found the legislation shaves only $352 million in non-emergency spending this year.

“I just think it’s total nonsense,” Boehner said of that analysis. “A cut is a cut. The final agreement cuts nearly $40 billion in budget authority, taking away the license to spend the money, which will result in a deficit savings of an estimated $315 billion over the next decade.”

Here’s the roll. Most of the blogosphere’s favorites ended up in the minority, with Kristi Noem a notable exception. Boehner’s built quite a base of loyalty within the caucus already, it seems, to have hit 260 on a bill that’s being derided by tea-party rock stars. Dozens more Republicans could have protected themselves here by peeling off at the end of the vote and letting Boehner win 220-215 or something like that, but they stuck with him. The strategy, I assume, is to make sure the White House knows he has their full(ish) support as the debt ceiling fight begins.

For your amusement, here’s Democrat Joe Crowley pretending that ignoring jobs in favor of agenda items wasn’t the very reason his own caucus was reduced to a rump minority last year.

Update: Commenters are noting that Paul Ryan also voted yes. Indeed, but there’s no way he was voting against Boehner after the leadership gave him carte blanche on the 2012 budget. That’s not to make excuses for him — maybe he thinks the budget deal is just fab — but if you were expecting a no from him on this just a day before the House votes on his own plan, you’re kidding yourself.

Update: I wonder what Hoyer’s price was for this:

House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) contacted Hoyer on Wednesday and asked for his help, said GOP and Democratic sources…

In addition to out-and-out supporters, Dicks and Hoyer built up back-pocket votes — those from lawmakers who were likely to oppose the bill but would be willing to cast “yes” votes if asked to. One member of the House Appropriations Committee told POLITICO that he had indicated to Dicks his vote would be there if it were needed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

portlandon on April 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Y’all leave JB alone. He’s a Conservative. He told me so.

kingsjester on April 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Crowley = Vapid Numbskull.
Where was the Jackass party on “jobs, jobs, jobs” during 2009 and 2010, Bub? The Jackass party was pounding health insurance reform down everybody’s throat without listening one moment to republicans or the electorate!
Cash for Clunkers, anyone? Remember that monstrosity? Right, that was a Jackass Party creation.
Besides, dopo, GOVERNMENT DOESN’T CREATE JOBS IN THE QUANTITY WE NEED! THE PRIVATE SECTOR DOES! Loud enough for ya, numbskull?

ExpressoBold on April 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM

She’s been a disappointment thus far. Let me tell you something, Kristi. You may be hot, but looks aren’t gonna mean squat if you vote like a RINO.

They seduced her the day she got in town with a leadership position. She’s voted how boehner has told her to vote from day one. I guess I can’t complain, my rep anders crenshaw is one of the rinoest little creeps around by he stays so below the radr he isn’t ever heard from in his own home town. He’s too busy getting rich in dc.

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Who says you can’t win for losing!?!

Boehner wins the PR battle precisely because it was such a bad deal AND it was the best deal he could get. The Democrats were willing to make only token concessions, and were willing to shut down the government rather than make substantial cuts. To the center, Dems com off as unreasonable. Boehner was clearly “the adult in the room”. He is stronger for it, going into the 2012 budget battle.

topdog on April 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I still don’t have a Representative here in AZ-08. No taxation without representation!!! I guess I don’t have to worry about being stabbed in the back though, for now, until Gabby gets well enough and grabs her steak knife.

andy85719 on April 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Dr. Goebbels would heartily approve of how C-BS Radio “News” is spinning this vote. Simply amazing.

Just hear a sound bite from C-BS “reporter” Bob Fuss, who said (with a straight face, no doubt) that the 59 Republicans who voted “NO” were “voting for a Government Shutdown.”

But absolutely no mention of the 108 Democrats also “voting for a Government Shutdown”.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

topdog on April 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

LOL

Norwegian on April 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

BREAKING: JESSE JACKSON PROPOSITIONED GAY STAFFER!!! http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/jackson-push-bennett-lawsuit-119861339.html

andy85719 on April 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Since the military’s funded thru the end of the fiscal year, you’d think more of them would have “voted for a shutdown”. In the end, their feigned outrage over the payment of troops in a shutdown was just their cover story– they were afraid of the shutdown itself and cloaking themselves in camo was a convenient way to save face.

RachDubya on April 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

TAR AND FEATHER!!!
TAR AND FEATHER!!!
TAR AND FEATHER!!!

Oil Can on April 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

When Establishment Republicans say “we’ll get blamed for a government shutdown”, what they really mean is “we’re scared to death of the MSM”. When they say “we have to be careful not to alienate Independent voters”, what they really mean is “we’re scared to death of the MSM”.

John “Judas” Boehner: starting point guard for the Washington Generals. He knows what his job is and he does it well……….hitting a few jumpshots, but too many, while the crowd goes wild for the Harlem Globetrotters, who ALWAYS win.

ardenenoch on April 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

That is a perfect picture of Boehner!

CCRWM on April 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Correction: hitting a few jumpshots, but not too many

ardenenoch on April 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

RachDubya on April 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

As part of the same report (I heard this on Boston news radio) I was surprised to hear that 3 Massachusetts Dems actually voted for the budget deal, one of which was Nikki Tsongas. I always considered her late husband the only Sane Democrat in the Bay State.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM

In the political lexicon the term bi-partisan is: telling the taxpayer to BOGU.

Wimp The Future!

ajacksonian on April 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Ryan voted yes.
sharrukin on April 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

No big surprise. Hes smartt and he talks a good game, but he always folds at crunch time. How long before he bails on his own plan for ’12?

james23 on April 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM

In a week, no one will remember or care about this vote.
On to the debt ceiling. Gas price relief will soon be on the table. And soon FY 2012.
I think Boehner’s comments were good. Step in the right direction.
swamp_yankee on April 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You are delusional. Your boy Speaker Boned has sewn the seeds of another electoral beating for the GOP. I cannot wait for the pay back. Primaries and third party challenges for all GOP Spending Bingers.

james23 on April 14, 2011 at 6:58 PM

4/14/11: Sen. Rand Paul Speaks Out Against the Continuing Resolution

Great speech…and no teleprompter needed! Or notes

(Paul Ryan votes yes of course like he always does)

Spathi on April 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Boehner would have made a good “Information minister” for Saddam Hussein with these talking points disregard reality.

Spathi on April 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM

True_King:Aren’t you missing from a Anti-Isreal Protest!!

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I’m pro-Israel, what exactly are you talking about?

Besides, you’ve been betrayed, address the issue.

True_King on April 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I am beginning to wonder if some HA posters don’t freelance for the RNC.

bw222 on April 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I am beginning to wonder if some HA posters don’t freelance for the RNC.

bw222 on April 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Several of them work for the GOP in one capacity or another.

sharrukin on April 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM

It’s good to see the Republicans and Democrats coming together to defeat their common enemies, Conservatives and the Tea Party.
/Sarcasm Off

RJL on April 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I was being sarcastic. Showcasing the establishment line of thought.

Of course the GOP has betrayed you all. They’ve been doing it for years, and I’ve been telling you all for years.

What can be done? You all keep going right back.
True_King on April 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Yes, I know. I was playing off your timeless “the GOP will betray you” bit.

Gosar was my sole R midterm vote. The rest were for Libertarians, or none at all. Gosar will not get my vote again.

Rae on April 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I am watching Laura Ingram sit in for O’reilly tonight. She is interviewing Duncan Hunter, Republican from Ca. about the budget chicanery, and it is one lie after another lie, after another lie coming out of his mouth. The arrogance is stunning.
I must admit, my representaive, Pet Sessions, republican of Texas led the snowball putting pressure on junior representatives to vote for this sell-out or else.
I am so deeply ashamed, and I apologize to you all
I promise here and now, I will voluteer, campaign against, do whatever it takes to remove him from office, and replace him with an honest representative for my district.
Again, I am sorry.

paulsur on April 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

4/14/11: Sen. Rand Paul Speaks Out Against the Continuing Resolution

Great speech…and no teleprompter needed! Or notes

(Paul Ryan votes yes of course like he always does)

Spathi on April 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I’m still laughing at his Huey Long snark!

“…Come on down to a tea party. Bring your Huey Long rhetoric; a chicken in every pot, a windmill in every backyard…”

Rae on April 14, 2011 at 8:38 PM

paulsur on April 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Duncan Hunter is in no way arrogant, he’s not my district representative, he represents San Diego actually, but I met him at a couple of Rep events in Sacramento and he’s a great guy. And btw he introduced legislation today that ensures that military families and civilians working in combat zones continue to receive paychecks in the event the debt limit is reached or a lapse in federal appropriations. So, I commend him for that. I saw his interview with Laura Ingraham and he was just stating the facts.

jimver on April 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Oh c’mon all you Boehner haters. Time for me to defend his honor… put ‘em up…yeah, take that! *raspberry*

Fortunata on April 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Ryan probably voted for it because he’s tired of the bickering … just get on with it. It was a horrible deal and Boehner will have to live with it. It was Boehner’s deal not Ryan’s. Paul Ryan has done a great service with his budget plan. Now we’ll see who the real heros are … will they stick with Ryan or let their cowardice/jealousy get the better of them.

Hobbes on April 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

My two senators and rep all voted yes. They are all GOP. PRIMARY Corker and ROE!

ladyingray on April 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM

He is stronger for it, going into the 2012 budget battle.

topdog on April 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

No, Boehner is much weakened.

He showed his cards when he told everyone that he wouldn’t shut down the government and now he’s already saying he’ll raise the debt limit. This surrenders any levers of power he had. His weakness only strengthens and emboldens the Democrats.

RJL on April 14, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Why don’t we have any GOPer that will go after these Jackwagons?

Kristi Noem?……..Hot Speeding RINO waiting to be exposed in a scandal.

The House GOP Leadership told us all exactly how they felt about the Tea Party and real Conservatives when they excluded anyone but their “YOUNG GUNS“.

By the way those WASPish Pistols turned out to be pissy little water toys to be used in the backyard in the Summer Time.

PappyD61 on April 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM

And now onto the next GOP Cave.

The Debt limit and the Ryan Plan being discarded.

Wow, this GOP majority in the House is just awesome.

PappyD61 on April 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Robert Paul consider jumping into the Texas senate race

I am pessimistic about winning a market this large, but who knows.

Spathi on April 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Randy Neugebauer voted…no.
Sweet!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM

all of the AZ GOP folk voted no…

yahoo.

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM

This looks like D’s and R’s vs tea party.

Um, budget hawks with a resume, there may be a seat in Congress with (soon) your name on it. These unserious pols need to be altogether cleared.

exdeadhead on April 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Maybe a part of the deal is that all future “shovel-ready jobs” be completed in Minecraft…

Yeah!

shorebird on April 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM

james23

He won’t have to. “This is the best Boner could do because we only have the House” is still in place. Ryan’s 2012 plan is going nowhere.

xblade on April 15, 2011 at 12:10 AM

AP—whomever choose Boners Boehners pic, we have like minds. I saved that as soon as I saw it on the AP and they had a number of them. AS you know the LSM takes the worse angles they can of the right.

Based upon what I know now, I wouldn’t want him as the Speaker.
Give me someone like Michele or Sarah or especially that gal Ann Barnhardt who has made the blog views. Loved her smack down of Graham and her bacon bookmarks for her koran. LOL

But heck–alll them women got more balls than any of guys on the Hill. Damn, they tick me the heck off, the whole stodgy stuck-in-the-mud Blue Boy Country Clubbing Elite Repubs. Disgusting.

auspatriotman on April 15, 2011 at 2:09 AM

“Commenters are noting that Paul Ryan also voted yes. Indeed, but there’s no way he was voting against Boehner after the leadership gave him carte blanche on the 2012 budget.”

What does that even mean, AP? So if Ryan voted his conscience, which would have made no practical difference, Bohner would exact some terrible scheme for revenge? Is that how we should expect the GOP to fix this issue?

GalosGann on April 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM

At this time, I’d like to take a moment and thank Tom Petri for reminding me why I didn’t vote for him in November. No, he wasn’t in any danger of losing his seat, but at least I’m not on the hook for his idiotic vote.

Paul Ryan supports this? No surprise there, either. Bunch of damn phonies. Wouldn’t surprise me any if we find out down the road his big budget cutting proposal is based on smoke, mirrors, and government math.

Badger State Dave on April 16, 2011 at 3:03 AM