AP poll shows 6 in 10 Americans want spending cuts, not tax hikes

posted at 8:48 am on April 14, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama tried to make the case for tax hikes yesterday as a means to close the budget deficit and reduce debt, but a new poll from the Associated Press shows that new taxes will be a tough sale.   Voters prefer spending cuts to tax hikes by a 62/29 margin, a much more significant divide than between those who believe their tax levels to be fair or not:

Not that they’re cheering. Fewer people expect refunds this year than in previous years, a new Associated Press-GfK poll shows. But as Monday’s filing deadline approaches, the poll shows that 54 percent believe their tax bills are either somewhat fair or very fair, compared with 46 percent who say they are unfair.

Should taxes be raised to eat into huge federal deficits? Among the public, 62 percent say they favor cutting government services to sop up the red ink. Just 29 percent say raise taxes.

The fairness issue breaks about where one would expect. Liberals and moderates are more likely to think their tax levels are fair than conservatives; same for Democrats and independents as opposed to Republicans.  Women were more approving than men, but one result was a little more surprising: whites were more likely to approve of the fairness of taxes than non-whites.

The level of approval on fairness hasn’t changed much over the last four years of polling on the subject, and it’s not difficult to see why.  First, tax rates haven’t changed in that period, nor have they changed in any direction since 2003.  If they generally moved in any direction, taxpayers may have slid into lower tax brackets in the recession thanks to unemployment or underemployment.  Also, income tax rates are relatively low in their history, and most Americans support paying some taxes to the federal government.

Obama asserted that the people like to talk about cuts in services until it’s their services that get cut.  This appears to be more of a case of a dawning realization that all services are “our” services in the sense that we’re all footing the bill, and we’re all looking at massive balloon payments in the near future unless we cut soon.  Paying a fair level of taxes is one thing, but few people will want to pay the level of tax required to fund the massive entitlement programs on their current trajectory, or even with the ambiguous tweaking that Obama suggested yesterday.

Speaking of taxes, Reason TV came up with a new video to celebrate the upcoming IRS deadline by running through a series of PG-rated new names for the IRS.  It’s silly and sophomoric, but it’s also fun.  For some reason (heh), it’s not embeddable, but clock over and enjoy.

Comments

AP poll shows 6 in 10 Americans want spending cuts, not tax hikes
=====================

Oh sure…….Progressive math!!

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Shut up, he explained.

a capella on April 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Maybe the other 4 are the uber-rich that Obama was talking about yesterday. Alas, if only the IRS could do something about their plight of wanting to pay more but are unable to do so. Woe is they!

mizflame98 on April 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Just 29 percent say raise taxes.

These are the people who have never produced and don’t want to see their gravy dish taken away.

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Say what?
-dear leader

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM

yepper

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Speaking of taxes!!
=====================================

41 Obama White House aides owe the IRS $831,000 in back taxes — and they’re not alone
September 10, 2010
*********************
***********************

Over the years a lot of suspicion has built up across the country about Washington and its population of opportunistic transients coming to see themselves as a special kind of person, somehow above average working Americans who don’t labor down in that monument-strewn former swamp.

Well, finally, an end to all those undocumented doubts. Thanks to some diligent digging by the Washington Post, those suspicions can at last be put to rest.

They’re correct. Accurate. Dead-on. Laser-guided. On target. Bingo-bango. As clear as it’s always seemed to those Americans who don’t feel special entitlements and do meet their government obligations.

***************************************
We now know that federal employees across the nation owe fully $1 billion in back taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.
*******************
*******************

*******************************
As in, 1,000 times one million dollars. All this political jabber about giving middle-class …
****************************
****************************

****************************
… Americans a tax cut. Thousands of feds have been giving themselves one all along — unofficially. And these tax scofflaws include more than three dozen folks who work for the president with that newly decorated Oval Office.
***************************
***************************

The Post’s T.W. Farnum did some research and found that out of the total sum, just 638 workers on Capitol Hill owe the IRS $9.3 million in back taxes. As in, overdue. The IRS gets stiffed by the legislative body that controls its budget. How Washington works.

In the House of Representatives, 421 people owe a total $6,524,892. In the Senate, 217 owe $2,774,836. In the IRS’ parent department, Treasury, 1,204 owe $7,670,814. At the Labor Department, where Secretary Hilda Solis’ husband had some back-tax problems before her confirmation, 463 owe $7,481,463. Eighty-one workers for the Federal Reserve System’s board of governors owe $1,076,733.

**********************
Within that department, there reside 4,856 people who owe the tax agency a whopping total of $37,012,174.
**********************************************
**********************************************

(More………)

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 4:32 AM

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Finally an AP poll with sensible results. Must mean it’s more like 7 or 8 in 10.

cktheman on April 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

dems keep saying we have a revenue problem…hello, mcfly?

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM

The elites and career pol DON’T CARE.

That includes many in the GOP.

artist on April 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM
dems keep saying we have a revenue problem…hello, mcfly?

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM

cmsinaz:Yup,Obama should clean his own HOUSE first,before
he makes any more DO AS I SAY Speechs!:)

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM

‘Everyone who thinks they are not paying enough in taxes raise your hands.’
‘Okay, you four line up at that window… the rest of you have a nice day.’

RalphyBoy on April 14, 2011 at 9:01 AM

kingsjester on April 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM

yepper

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I don’t believe a word of it. Ask for specific cuts- SS, Medicare, education, and it’s nope, nope, nope.

We’re going to crash, folks. The choice has been made.

Bat Chain Puller on April 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Someone……….somewhere……….is taking a poll to see if most Americans use more than 10 sheets when they wipe.

Jeeesh.

PappyD61 on April 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM

We don’t have a revenue problem.

We have a spending problem.

Good Lt on April 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Good Lt on April 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM

That, and a socialist problem…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

It’s like handing more money to a junkie to “fix” his financial problems.

forest on April 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM

That, and a socialist problem…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Well, that’s part of the reason why there’s a spending problem :-)

Good Lt on April 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM

But…but…those aren’t “tax hikes”…they’re “spending reductions in the tax code.”/ investments in the future for the children and seasoned citizens.

kingsjester on April 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM

The IRS costs the American taxpayer $275,000,000,000 a year to collect taxes. I know a $275Billion program that could be cut right off………

adamsmith on April 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM

For some reason (heh), it’s not embeddable, but clock over and enjoy.

I’d much rather turn the clock back to the proserity of the eighties, but we get your drift Ed.

Rovin on April 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM

We’re going to crash, folks. The choice has been made.

Bat Chain Puller on April 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I’m personally for cutting it all, but I think people resist cuts to those programs because they are programs that at least marginally benefit everyone. People want to see all the programs that benefit slackers and cheats, special groups, weird stuff, and bridges to nowhere type stuff cut out entirely before you touch the “good stuff”.

Once that stuff is slashed, then they will see that the only way to fix our real problems is to tackle SS, MC, etc. then they may be more receptive to it.

mrsmwp on April 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM

What do you expect when 47-48% of Americans don’t pay any Federal income tax.

Caper29 on April 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Well, yeah. That, too:)

kingsjester on April 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

To add to the above comment:

People are resistant to say, having their retirement age moved to 70. Why should someone work full-time for an extra 5 years so that some slacker can sit on their couch, eating Cheetohs and breeding?

mrsmwp on April 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

And in “other unexpected news”

Jobless claims unexpectedly rise last week
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – New U.S. claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly rose last week, bouncing back above the key 400,000 level, a government report showed on Thursday.

Shock and awe……

Rovin on April 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

We don’t have a revenue problem.

We have a spending problem.

Good Lt on April 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Reminds of what Keith Richards said:

I don’t have a heroin problem.

I have a police problem…

Caper29 on April 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

There is such a simple solution to this problem. All we have to do is tax Michael Moore by the pound…Presto, problem solved. Michael gets his wish to pay more taxes and the national debt is wiped out in one tax cycle.

Oldnuke on April 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

mrsmwp on April 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I do not benefit from any of those programs and never will. SS will be gone by the time I am eligible while I am held up at gunpoint to pay for it.

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Well, that’s part of the reason why there’s a spending problem :-)

Good Lt on April 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Had to fix it for ya ;o)

IowaWoman on April 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Speaking of Taxes

Thank you, canopfor. I’m sending that out to everyone I know. Happy Tax Day, Everybody!

Lying, cheating weasels, every single one of them.

Naturally Curly on April 14, 2011 at 9:22 AM

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I’m 44 so I’m planning my future as if there will be no SS because I fully expect the boomers to suck it dry. But, not everyone is as pessimistic as I.

mrsmwp on April 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I hate when I hear the term income redistribution, because it is a lie. They mean they want money reditributed from the non-elite rich to the poor and themselves. This is ignoring whether people work and how hard they work.

Everyone who has ever had a job has seen that person(s) at your job who sneaks off for extended periods of time, takes long lunches or breaks, punches in late or out early, and when they are working they do everything they can to get out of doing anything. And if you have never seen a person like that in a job, then the lazy guy(or gal) is you…

jeffn21 on April 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Speaking of Taxes

Lying, cheating weasels, every single one of them.

Naturally Curly on April 14, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Naturally Curly:Any time,I posted it,less than a year ago!:)

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM

54 percent believe their tax bills are either somewhat fair or very fair

My guess is…..these are the same people that pay NO TAXES

roflmao

donabernathy on April 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Socialists(dems) are tax junkies.

tinkerthinker on April 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Barack Obama tried to make the case for tax hikes yesterday

No, he wasn’t even honest enough to do that. He tried to make the case for “spending reductions in the tax code.” And who could possibly be against that? We all know spending reductions are good, so spending reductions in the tax code must be great!

I’m so sick of this BS. If liberals think tax hikes are the answer to everything, why don’t they just say that? At least have the courage of your convictions (or what you claim are your convictions), instead of manipulating language in an effort to con people.

AZCoyote on April 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Any time,I posted it,less than a year ago!:)

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM

It’s probably even worse now.

Naturally Curly on April 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

You’re not alone mrsmwp….doing the same thing

cmsinaz on April 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

mrsmwp on April 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

While I applaud your wisdom of planning your future without the assistance of SS, I might point out that “the boomers” influx has been warned by economist for decades, and neither party has lifted a finger to prepare for this coming surge. We, (a majority of boomers), were also forced into paying into this system for most of our working lives. Bottom line, blaming the “boomers” for sucking SS dry is a bit disingenuous, when perhaps your disdain should be vented on the managers who ignored this, while at the same time raiding the “trust fund” to further their entitlement/welfare mentality.

Rovin on April 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM

darwin-t on April 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM

mrsmwp on April 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

What gets me is that gov knew a huge increase was coming when the boomers retire and did nothing but take our money. With all of us boomers putting in 30 to 50 yrs of paying into it(it should be huge) they did not protect us at all, instead they used the money for something it was never meant for….where is the money? Can we sue the gov for misrepresentation or something?

tinkerthinker on April 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Any time,I posted it,less than a year ago!:)

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM
=============

It’s probably even worse now.

Naturally Curly on April 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Naturally Curly:Oh jeez,good point!:)

canopfor on April 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I am always suspicious of “polls” from al-Associated Press, after I found one poll in September of 2008 that sampled twice as many Democrats as Republicans to get the desired result.

Just checked this “poll’s” internals…they sampled 13% more Democrats than Republicans. See Page 9 of the pdf.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I hate when I hear the term income redistribution, because it is a lie. They mean they want money reditributed from the non-elite rich to the poor and themselves. This is ignoring whether people work and how hard they work………….
jeffn21 on April 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

It is artful socialist wordsmithing from the start. Redistribution suggests that there was an original “distribution” of wealth. It wasn’t distributed, it was EARNED.

Redistribution=Theft

iurockhead on April 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM

“AP poll shows 6 in 10 Americans want spending cuts, not tax hikes..”

..in a related poll, four in ten Americans found to be cretinous, mirror-fogging morons.

The War Planner on April 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

tinkerthinker on April 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

“Bernie Madoff, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Bernie Madoff….”

iurockhead on April 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Progessive math: 6 in 10 means…

“Almost 50% of Americans want tax hikes!”

COUNT IT!!

Khun Joe on April 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

this EMBED code seems to work:

Jeddite on April 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM

this EMBED code seems to work: (removed the first ‘

Jeddite on April 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Ehhh, too many HTML brackets for a comment :|

Jeddite on April 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I noticed Obutthead didn’t rally for Tiny Tim with the crutch over the budget, but sure as hell rallied to keep the abortion assembly line going.

capejasmine on April 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Khun Joe on April 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Yup, and dollars to donuts, those almost 50% currently pay little, or no taxes at all.

capejasmine on April 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’m for tossing out the current (tens of thousands of pages of) tax code and replacing it with the FairTax (http://www.fairtax.org).

It’s tax reform and economic steroids in one simple plan.

ornery_independent on April 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Only 6 of 10?

Well, it’s a start, I guess.

Bob's Kid on April 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM

But, not everyone is as pessimistic as I.

That’s not pessimistic, that’s realistic.

Bob's Kid on April 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I read this as non-whites feel taxes are unfair because the “rich” aren’t paying enough redistributive wealth to pay for all of Obama’s social programs. 80+% of AA’s still support the Present of the United States. I can’t believe skin color is the only reason they back him.

chickasaw42 on April 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM

62/29 margin

That’s a 2 to 1 margin, not 6 in 10. It never makes sense to include people who don’t express an opinion.

logis on April 14, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I’m getting a little tired of the statistic that roughly 50% of America doesn’t pay taxes. It’s actually much worse than that. Not only do many pay no taxes, but they actually earn an income, at our expense with tax credits. Say their tax for the year is $2,000. By the time they take their tax credits, deductions, filing status into consideration, they not only don’t pay the $2,000, they get a refund of $5,000 or whatever their filing status allows…if they are filing correctly….

Whippet on April 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM