Obama: My vision for America is one where we live within our means

posted at 4:17 pm on April 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

A video gloss on Ed’s post earlier responding point by point to Obama’s … “plan,” I guess you’d call it? “Framework”? “Outline”? Let’s call it an outline of a framework of a plan. Beyond the obligatory calls for wringing the fat from defense spending and taxing the inexhaustible rich, which even some big media sources openly acknowledge won’t solve anything, his central idea is to somehow control health-care spending, presumably by performing the Jedi mind trick on doctors coast to coast to get them to lower costs. Either that or, as Time admits, he’s probably talking about rationing, although he was so (deliberately) vague that even they’re not completely sure. No matter, though: It’s silly, frankly, for any of us to be parsing this speech as though these were earnest policy proposals. If he gave a shinola about deficits and long-term fiscal instability, he would have said all this a month ago when he rolled out his embarrassing 2012 budget. He’s only saying it now because Ryan and Boehner forced the issue with their own budget, which put him on the spot vis-a-vis independents ahead of his reelection campaign. In that sense, this speech reminds me of his race speech from the 2008 campaign: That one was also dressed up by his team as an example of a serious guy boldly tackling a weighty national subject, but there as here, he only spoke up because he was in a bind politically (thanks to the momentary media frenzy over Rev. Wright) and needed to get out of it. He would have much preferred to have avoided the subject entirely, and no doubt he would have had the sharpening contrast with Ryan not exposed his total abdication of leadership on this subject. That’s what you do, see, when you’re the “adult in the room.”

So yes, it’s quite true that the new framework-outline-plan isn’t remotely equal to the immense challenge ahead, but it isn’t intended to be. It’s intended to get him reelected by convincing just enough low-information (read: stupid) independent voters that Paul Ryan doesn’t much care if their grandmothers starve. Speaking of which, in lieu of an exit quotation, go look at the “Obama, then and now” comparison that Jake Tapper dug up. Ever above the fray, O actually took care to say of Republicans near the end of today’s speech that “I believe [they] are sincere about wanting to do the right thing for our country.” How you square that with the quote highlighted by Tapper, I have no idea. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

From Law Professor Glenn H. Reynolds.

SO OBAMA’S PEOPLE ARE TALKING TAX INCREASES AGAIN. Here’s my proposal: A 50% surtax on anything earned within five years after leaving the federal government, above whatever the federal salary was. Leave a $150K job at the White House, take a $1M job with Goldman, Sachs, pay a $425K surtax. Some House Republican should add this to a bill and watch the Dems react.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM

THE WAR CHEST BUILDER AGAINST OBAMA,whoever the Republican
Nominee is,will get the chest!!
==========================================

Raising Red Could Use Your Support
———————————–

Denver, CO, April 5, 2011– Raising Red PAC and Raising Red Action Fund launched Tuesday, April 5th at http://www.raisingred.com with the mission of raising money to support the Republican nominee and defeat President Obama in the 2012 presidential election.

Launched by the activist team of Charlie Smith, former College Republican National Committee President; Kellen Giuda, New York City Tea Party co-founder and former Tea Party Patriots Board of Directors member; and conservative Blogger John Hawkins, Raising Red PAC and Raising Red Action Fund were born from a need for an innovative and forward-thinking political operation focused on candidates that will solve the problems that have been passed on to the Millennial Generation by decades of irresponsible politicians.(More………)

==================

RAISING RED
*************

canopfor on April 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Obama: My vision for America is one where we (the goverment) live within (y)our means

PackerBronco on April 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM

PackerBronco on April 13, 2011 at 5:09 PM

My vision for America is one where every person who is capable of supporting themselves does.
My vision for America is one where those who cannot presently support themselves gains that capacity and starts supporting themselves.
My vision for American is one where the government gets out of the way so we can all support ourselves.

My vision of social welfare is to provide a tax credit to anyone who donates to an efficient charity that duplicates a government social program rendering the government program unnecessary.

My Vision for America is one where the government obeys the constitution.

The Rock on April 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

My favorite thing about the empty suit’s speech is that Biden, who thinks this whole “stop spending stuff is just so much BS, actually fell asleep while the Suit talked.

Bizarro world.

MTF on April 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Too funny!

Alana on April 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Linda Chavez wrote in Commentary that it was the most demagogic speech he ever made.

He is an ugly person literally and figuratively. His inner evilness is apparent on his face with his pouts and grimaces.

Yes, he’s always smiling broadly when the camera is on but when he thinks it isn’t he turns into Dr. Evil. I’ve studied his mannerisms closely for over 3 years. I’ve made 100s of videos on him. You get to know your subject in ways that escape others.

Most of my videos are satires. My channel(Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobtKraft?feature=mhum

No Niks on April 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

“Framework for Shared Prosperity and Shared Fiscal Responsibility”:

Is this really what he called his speech?? Does it get any more Socialistic sounding? This man is scary!

Ann on April 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Look at is 4 points…Point one is the tiny cuts agreed to last week with the total enhanced to make it sound big, point 2 was gutting the military and again with imaginary savings. 3 was BoBo care with even vaster imaginary savings and finally, stealing from the rich with yet another imaginary number presented as savings….

JIMV on April 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Living within our means. Does this mean the endless vacations and parties are going to stop? Didn’t think so!

capejasmine on April 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Ya know, when I was a kid and when I was raising my kids,if I told a lie, Mom put a LARGE bar of soap in my mouth and let me sit there for a few minutes. If this A$$HOLE had a bar of soap in his mouth (which he needs, desperately), he would be blowing some MAJOR bubbles out of his mouth, nose, ears (WHOA), butt…..hell, he wouldn’t need a unicorn to get him places. He could FLY simply with all of the bubbles coming out of him.

sicoit on April 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM

“Live within our means”?! Really? REALLY?

Until Bill Ayers wrote that book for you, you Manchurian loser, you were up to your neck in credit card bills and donated zilch to charity.

There must be a better term “lying hypocrite” for our Fearless Leader.

disa on April 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Obama: My vision for America is one where we live within our means

Obama says one thing, and does another, very often its opposite. Let’s call that what it is. He lies. He borrows and spends, because he can. No one else can do that for this long except the federal government. And he’s doing it, and intends to continuing doing it, in a big way, for as long as he can.

Paul-Cincy on April 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Good stuff No Niks!

I’ve only seen a couple so far, but I’ll be back for more. “The Most Rude President” was quite a slide show. The guy is so jaw-droppingly crass. I mean, chewing gum at the G8 meetings?! Really?!

ornery_independent on April 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM

PackerBronco on April 13, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I am pretty sure that is one Rubicon we’ve already crossed.

jdkchem on April 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Unbelievable. He said that Friday night. I want to know when he going to start doing it. Just words.

Kissmygrits on April 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I hope the GOP demands that the Democrats put forth a bill, scored by the CBO, before they agree to any negotiations. We’ll see how serious (close) they are to the $4T figure Obama and the media portray. And they need to say their willing to negotiate only on this term. I don’t think that asks a lot.

djaymick on April 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I have a feeling that the $4T savings comes in the 11th and 12th years.

djaymick on April 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM

No can do, and that’s before we get to the irony that the guy who pals around with Bill Ayers, and sat in Uncle Jeremiah’s “church” (to pick a few things off the top of my head) is the arbiter of what’s the right thing for our country.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

CK’s ripping O’s speech into shreds !!
WTG, Charles !

pambi on April 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

“I believe [Republicans] are sincere about wanting to do the right thing for our country.”

Too bad you aren’t Barry!

GarandFan on April 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM

CK’s ripping O’s speech into shreds !!
WTG, Charles !

pambi on April 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Yes he is! I hope it makes the QOTD!

Buy Danish on April 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

A friend on Face Book has posted an invitation to respond to one of those FB polls you see from time to time that asks the question: Does Obama deserve a 2nd term as President? My friend answered in the affirmative, but….. of the 807,923 votes, so far only 123,125 or 15% believe that Obama deserves a 2nd term. 684,698 or 85% believe he does not deserves a 2nd term. I find that to be remarkable and encouraging from the standpoint that FB seems to be a gathering place for a lot of Libs.

Is there hope for America?

glennbo on April 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

So this is what it feels like when you have a President who is a full of sh*t Marxist. Its extremely aggravating and depressing.

MCGIRV on April 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM

OMG – Shep just played excerpts from his speech. It sounds like a recitation fo Dr. Zeuss. We will do this, we will do that, the cat in the hat, and all of that.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

CK on FNC’s Special Report just nailed it. Øbama’s address today was a fraud, a corrupt campaign speech chock full of lies and half-truths, masquerading as a Presidential address to the nation. This little poseur has set out to win 2012, as he won 2008, not by debating the issues, but by sophistry, deceit, intimidation and personal attacks.

CK echoed my growing contempt for the little punk.

petefrt on April 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM

You Lie!

2ipa on April 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Did you notice that the WH spokesman interviewed by Brett this evening acknowledged that the WH projections assume increasing interest rates. Looks like they plan to inflate their way out of it. Tax increases and inflation, woo-hoo!

Hold onto your wallets, obama has a plan.

obladioblada on April 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM

But when the Tea Party advocates the same thing, O and the DNC calls us “extreme”. Heh.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

….“plan,” I guess you’d call it? “Framework”? “Outline”? Let’s call it an outline of a framework of a plan.

I think, Allah, the phrase you are looking is “idea written on the back of a cocktail napkin from the 19th hole restaurant.”

William Teach on April 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM

William Teach on April 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, and after a few beers he finally remembered what his dog-eared manifestos said about From each according to his ability, to each according to his need(s)….Tax the rich!

Buy Danish on April 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

William Teach on April 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

…or from the lessons in Frank’s lap…

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Obama: My vision for America is one where we live within our YOUR means

(Corrected obvious error in headline)

landlines on April 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

He’s not an American (and not talking about birther. His policies and stances are so anti-American that he can’t be considered an American IMO) so obviously, he doesn’t have to live within his means. Especially when he can live on our dime. Hands, how many think we can make it to 2012…

Tuari on April 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM