More Ryan on Obama: “He’s basically a pyromaniac in a field of straw men”

posted at 8:53 pm on April 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

From the Mark Levin show. If you enjoyed this afternoon’s appetizer, wait until you dig into the main course. It’s 15 minutes long but every second is enjoyable, I promise. One thing neither Ryan nor I can figure out: Why on earth would The One invite him to attend a speech that was designed to demagogue Ryan for electoral purposes? Was that some sort of “if I’m going to kneecap this guy, I ought to at least look him in the eye” concession on Obama’s part? Or did he just think it’d be funny to see the look on Ryan’s face while he was accusing him of rifling through the pockets of handicapped children? The ways of The One are mysterious to mere mortals, my friends.

Speaking of being kneecapped, Robert Gates found out only yesterday that one of the big “ideas” in Obama’s framework of an outline of a plan was to squeeze defense for extra savings. The surreal result was the Pentagon issuing a statement this afternoon warning that the Commander-in-Chief’s phony austerity program could do real damage if it was a real policy and not a cynical election gambit:

Minutes after Obama announced his austerity plan, the Pentagon renewed those concerns even as Gates endorsed Obama’s commitment to a thorough review before making any cuts…

Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said Gates “has been clear that further significant defense cuts cannot be accomplished without reducing force structure and military capability.”

The Pentagon said Gates was not informed of Obama’s decision on budget cuts until Tuesday. Morrell said the issue would not affect the timing of Gates’ expected retirement…

“The secretary believes that this process must be about managing risk associated with future threats and national security challenges and identifying missions that the country is willing to have the military forgo,” Morrell said.

Gates needs to learn that the federal government’s main business is no longer defense but insurance. Obama didn’t put it that succinctly in today’s stemwinder, but that was the upshot. In any case, good thing we haven’t added any new wars to our Iraq and Afghanistan burden or else that could be a real problem.

As further reading, dive into this short but effective Mark Knoller piece at CBS gently reminding Obama that our national debt is projected to reach $26 trillion by 2021, which makes $4 trillion in cuts over the next 12 years seem … not so serious. Oh well: Next president’s problem, I guess. Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He was being polite. He knows and understand the left. He’s from Wisconsin; the birthplace of the progressive movement. You want to hear his take on the left, watch this interview with Glenn Beck.

mizflame98 on April 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Fair enough, and thanks.

rrpjr on April 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Cody1991 on April 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Yep and who could forget ‘ they cling to their guns and bibles’.

CWforFreedom on April 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Yeah. He’ll never understand us. He clings to his assumed daddy’s communism, a New World Order, victimization (which his black half adopted) and foreign support to attain the presidency. He’s a fraud.

And one thing people should never overlook is that the Dems were so pissed about Bush taking Florida that they were willing to do anything to take the next election. BO is a fraud, and Pelosi, et al facilitated this travesty.

Never forget. Never forgive.

Cody1991 on April 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM

It would be nice if someone stood up to Obama as Boehner can’t seem to hack it. Honestly I feel very betrayed by the GOP right, now. If the leadership has to cower to Obama maybe they should step down and let real men like Bachmann and Ryan have a shot!

clnurnberg on April 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I said this on the other Ryan thread… I really like and admire Paul Ryan, I had doubts about him because of TARP but I think he really regrets that now or at least sincerely felt it was the right thing to do at the time.

I said on the night the budget deal passed, after I got home from dinner with my husband and friends and found out about the “deal” that Boehner got rolled by Reid. This was before we found out that the deal was really worse and the cuts are in the millions not even 1 billion!
Boehner is a nice guy but he isn’t the right person for the job. He talks tough before he goes in and then comes out with his and our a$$es in his hand. I’d like to see Ryan take over.

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM

clnurnberg on April 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM

You don’t say.

For years I’ve never understood…what is the definition of insanity?

True_King on April 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Yes. http://dailycaller.com/2010/02/14/paul-ryan-explains-his-votes-for-tarp-auto-bailouts-and-tax-on-aig-bonuses/
at the risk of repeating myself…

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM

“He’s basically a pyromaniac in a field of straw men”

Who in little Bammie’s cabinet do you think he went to and asked what that meant? Maybe a friendly old media reporter? I wonder if he understands it yet.

Remember, little Bammie is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I was a kid during Carter so anyone who can remember the Carter years, I have a question. Did the progressives fight as hard for Carter and his reelection campaign as they will be for Barry? Did the media make excuses for Carter the way they do for Barry? I just want to see how much history is repeating itself.

mizflame98 on April 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Not to my memory. This with Obama is unprecedented, it appears to me.

I think that’s because they are com mies now.

Alana on April 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Or a dipsomaniac in a corkscrew factory.

Go Ryan!

profitsbeard on April 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I think that’s because they are com mies now.

Alana on April 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM

And also because George Soros’ first ruined national economy was just a gleam in his eye at that time…They expect O’Bawesome to spend $1 BILLION dollars on his re-election campaign. That’s a lot of filthy lucre.

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM

shick on April 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Yeah, the hero worhsip is tempting; just a note of caution.

Ryan is good with numbers, but as several articles have pointed out, his budget is basically saving entitlement programs by making them fiscally sustainable. While this is not a principled conservative or libertarian premise, his ideas for market reforms are at least appealing and probably the best we can hope for.

I’m willing to listen, but I remain skeptical.

Firefly_76 on April 13, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I just listened to Juan Williams and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I don’t understand how people can think that way. This country is hopeless. What is the point of working hard or doing anything if I’m going to get money for doing nothing anyway? I’m nearly ready to say I hate this country. It’s nothing but a shell of its self, filled with worthless leaches. I doubt very seriously that it will get any better. The people are sheep and will agree with whomever gives them more free cash. I’m only 20 and I’m already jaded.

andy85719 on April 13, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Don’t despair…as my husbands says, “We’re going to get this country back, with the ballot or the bullet!

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM

From what I remember of the Carter v Reagan campaign, the media worked hard to discredit Reagan, villify him. In fact, the mantra was that he would start a war with the USSR, a war monger of unprecedented proportions. I think many dems were genuinely surprised that Mr. Peanut got sent back to Plains.

Come 2012, the “we are the ones we’ve been waiting for” excrement will ring hollow and the college kiddies will be looking at bleak prospects. Maybe they’ll smoke up and skip the vote this time.

If a libbie state like Wisconsin can give us a Scott Walker and a dem gov like Cuomo can cut the state’s budget, Obama’s chances with his current strategy are not too rosy.

clnurnberg on April 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Bingo! Soros has enjoyed crashing economies with great success. He’s hated in many countries. But guys like Soros keep plugging along with the big prize in mind. The big prize? The US economy. That’s always been the goal. One doesn’t have to dig deeply or engage in conspiracy theories to understand Soros’ goals. I’m not so sure he actually hates the USA. It’s just a game for him, a piece in the monopoly game he plays.

And for those reading who still love the Clintons, think again. They are greedy little stooges players along with Soros. Yeah, BJ is some sort of patriot, and his wife is even more craven. Good job, Dems. You sold your party and the entire country.

Cody1991 on April 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Well, if you are genuinely interested, I urge you to read this.

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:03 PM

His answers were just as bad as I thought they would be.

Voting on TARP was naive. He should have done the same that he is doing now with the budget.

Voting on AUTO bailout was stupid no matter what spin he puts on it. He had his chance to escape from it when Ford pulled out, but, no, it went forward anyway.

Of course, though, it’s possible for Ryan to make up for these bad mistakes.

NOW, I’m going to sleep.

shick on April 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM

…Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
-Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
-Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
-Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

Firefly_76 on April 13, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Ugh! what a way to burst my bubble but that voting record is a disaster… I hope this is him trying to redeem himself :(

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Do you know who crr6 is referring to with his comment?

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I believe she is referring to Ryan but her comment fits Obama to a tee.

She is confused or I am.

shick on April 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM

shick on April 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM

No, you got it and that was a trick question, too!

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Ever wonder if Obama has a little to do list on his desk that says things like

Breakfast with kids
Briefing on boring national security stuff
Give speech on deficit or something
shoot some hoops
Party with Beyonce

and he just checks them off then moves on? Kinda like a honeydoo list, things get done then never think about them again.

William Teach on April 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I think Obama knows he’s a miserable poseur who doesn’t know jack about anything. He gets his daily orders on his little blackberry from some pretty evil person who is in cahoots with the Democratic party overlords to destroy America. His reward is he’get to live high on the hog and pretend to be the POTUS.

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Audio not working. Too bad, I really wanted to hear that!

ElectricPhase on April 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I’m willing to listen, but I remain skeptical.

Firefly_76 on April 13, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I like the way my former supervisor once put it. He said, “With all people I expect the worst but hope for the best. Then you’ll never be dissapointed.”

shick on April 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Ahhh, so that’s what they really mean when they use the terms “talking points” and “Democratic caucus.” Your version is much more descriptive.

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM

No, you got it and that was a trick question, too!

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Good. I’m sleepy and I got a trick question correct.

Thanks for all the fish.ZZZZzzzzzzz

shick on April 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM

mizflame98 on April 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Umm, they actually hung a great big katana in his back in the form of the Lying Killer of the Senate, Tedward “I love dead Mary Jo jokes and betraying my country” Kennedy’s run for the nomination against a sitting president. That, along with the hostage crisis and stagflation tore the spine out of Carter’s re-election campaign.

Remember, Carter was elected as a JFK-style Democrat, by starting early as an unknown (a la the Bamster) and picking up so many chits that Tedward didn’t get into the ’76 Democratic nomination process, which was probably his best shot at the WH. Carter also made much of a very slight claimed physical resemblance to JFK, which mortally offended ‘lil Eddie & Co. (remember how the family barfed all over Shrillery in the 2008 cycle when she pointed out the fact that LBJ did more for black civil rights than the Kennedys ever did, which was 1000% true?)

Those things, combined with the fact that Carter was a funny talking Southerner and went to Annapolis rather than an Ivy League school were black marks against him. Obama is their dream ideal, they eat up his mouth vomit with a spoon. “Good intentions” only pave the road to hell for their opponents, in their twisted and evil minds.

ebrown2 on April 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I know a guy who thinks he remembers Obama from Occidental and he told me that Obama cared about only two things …getting stoned and Apartied in South Africa (he stopped hanging out with O because stoned, O would go on and on and on about it). He’s not sure it’s Obma because he just can’t believe that loser became POTUS…he’s in denial… Anyway, there is nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing in Obama’s past that would have me believe that he has the ability to be POTUS… nothing!

CCRWM on April 13, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I’m certain I’m repeating someone else in the above comments but I haven’t read them yet…

I think Ryan and Obama should have a DEBATE! The great “O” would NEVER do it, nor should he have to since he’s so smart and everything, but that would be fabulously entertaining!

Yellowdog12 on April 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM

cynccook on April 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I didn’t mean it negatively. In today’s media, one not only has to have substance, one has to have a good soundbite to sell the substance. Otherwise the press ignores it.

I’m glad to see that Ryan has both.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM

My biggest complaint about the Ryan comments on government spending is his claim that the ‘historic’ level is 20% GDP. That only applies if you start history in 1942. Prior to the war, the birth of Social Security and the invasion of the Feds into every aspect of our lives, the level was much closer to 5%.

Why think small and aim at 20%!

OBQuiet on April 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM

For those wanting a link to the audio that actually, you know, works…..

cthulhu on April 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM

ebrown2 on April 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Good summary. The media also thought he was weird because he said he was a “born again” Christian. But this was actually a strong selling point to common voters, who inferred from it that he was more conservative than he actually was.

Technically, he was a Southern Baptist, but he was on the liberal side of the convention, not on the reforming conservative side. So those who voted for him on that basis found he was a lot less conservative than they assumed.

Which is why many really conservative Christians actually rejected voting for the man who talked like he was “onde of them.” They looked at his policies, and preferred Reagan in both 1976 and 1980.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Only those in serious denial about who obama is would still be pondering this question.It is an “in your face” move from the hood. Totally in character…like flipping the bird at McCain’/Hillary on national TV.In his world, show of manhood.
Those still confused have serious problems recognizing the obvious.

winston on April 14, 2011 at 6:25 AM

If he was why didn’t we hear the truth from him about what was going on?
sharrukin on April 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Heh. Your idea of “the truth” is Donald Trump’s birther b.s. and all the rest of this dangerous game he’s playing, and you have the flipping gall to criticize Ryan?

It’s really quite something to see you and your bff unseen taking the Palin camp into birther territory.

Buy Danish on April 14, 2011 at 6:49 AM

“We were expecting some kind of triangulation, instead we got a partisan broadside”

I knew Øbama did not have compromise in him. I knew he would be a partisan hack to the bitter end. I guess the 2012 election will be held during the GOP primary now.

Kafir on April 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM

…Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
-Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
-Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

Firefly_76 on April 13, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Terrif. It’s not bad enough that Hot Air has turned into Donald Trump’s cheering section, but we have libertarians who have probably been watching way too much Judge Napolitano complaining about Ryan’s votes to protect this country – votes which did zero harm to a single one of you (I’m assuming you’re not actually with AQ or similar groups).

Oh, and then we have other libertarians complaining that Ryan saves Medicare and Medicaid. How dare he!!! Do any of you have the slimmest grasp of reality? That’s a rhetorical question.

Buy Danish on April 14, 2011 at 7:58 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM

The liberal humor writer Roy Blunt, Jr. wrote a great book about that called CRACKERS: This Whole Many-Angled Thing of Jimmy, More Carters, Ominous Little Animals, Sad Singing Women, My Daddy, and Me (1980, paperback 1998), where he has a really good discussion about how the media treated Carter and how Southerners liked their politicians with a little more “sin” in them than that, ironically prophetic considering the next Democratic President. He also has hilarious comments to make about the MSM’s anti-South bigotry, and calls them out on it at a P.J. O’Rourke level.

It’s a good read.

I should also note that in 1980, it was not correct to say progressives=MSM:

Ted Kennedy interview

(Roger) Mudd is perhaps best remembered for an interview he conducted with Senator Edward M. Kennedy for a November 4, 1979 CBS special, Teddy, which aired three days before Kennedy officially announced his challenge of President Jimmy Carter for the 1980 Democratic Presidential nomination. In addition to questioning Kennedy about the Chappaquiddick incident, Mudd asked, “Senator, why do you want to be president?” Kennedy’s stammering answer which has been described as “incoherent and repetitive”[16] as well as “vague, unprepared”[17] raised serious questions about his motivation in seeking the office, and marked the beginning of the sharp decline in Kennedy’s impressive poll numbers.[16] Carter defeated Kennedy 50% to 38% in the Democratic primary vote. Although the Kennedy family refused any further interviews with Mudd, the interview helped strengthen Mudd’s reputation as a leading political reporter.[citation needed] Broadcaster and blogger Hugh Hewitt and Washington Post columnist Michael Gerson have used the term “Roger Mudd moment” to describe a self-inflicted disastrous encounter with the press by a presidential candidate.[17]

Imagine what would happen if da Bamster got this treatment!

ebrown2 on April 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Someone needs to hit Obama on the fact that raising taxes will increase unemployment which in turn throws all of his “planned” revenue off course.

jeffn21 on April 14, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I believe Obama wanted Ryan and the others there at his speech (right in the front row, no less) because, just like he did to the Supreme Court Justices at his SOTU, he likes to watch their faces while he stabs them and twists the knife. It speaks of a streak of meanness that Obama can’t quite conceal. I truly believe the man is a sociopath.

RebeccaH on April 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Buy Danish on April 14, 2011 at 6:49 AM

WTF does Ryan’s speech and his part in the budget negotiations have to do with Obama’s birth certificate you gibbering loon?

sharrukin on April 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM

sharrukin on April 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I said Hot Air is being over run with nuts. Now are you going to actually lecture me about saying something you don’t think is on topic? That’s rich from a Palinista.

Buy Danish on April 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM

mizflame98 on April 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM

No, the media didn’t fight for Carter half this hard in 1980. Mostly because they figured they didn’t need to. After all, regardless of high gas prices, high interest rates, high inflation, high taxation, malaise, failed military incursions, and ridiculous micromanagement leadership, Carter the incumbent was going up against some dumb actor from California.

Freelancer on April 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM