The worst sports column ever

posted at 6:39 pm on April 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

How bad is it? So bad that its badness actually qualifies as national news.

By way of background, Bryan Stow is an EMT and a devout San Francisco Giants fan who went to see them play the Dodgers in L.A.’s home opener. He wore a Giants jersey to the game; afterward, two Dodgers fans jumped him and his friends in the parking lot and beat him so severely that Stow needed emergency surgery and had to be placed in a medically induced coma. Doctors say he’s suffered brain damage. Here’s a photo of him with his two young kids before he was stomped nearly to death for the crime of rooting for the Giants on Dodger turf.

The scene is now set for the column that I’m titling, Important Lessons for Bryan Stow.

Maybe someone can ask Stow, if he ever comes out of his coma, why he thought it was a good idea to wear Giants’ gear to a Dodgers’ home opener when there was a history of out-of-control drunkenness and arrests at that event going back several years…

Are there really 40-something men who think that wearing the jersey makes them part of the team? It was cute when a 10-year-old kid got that feeling by showing up at Three Rivers Stadium in a Pirates jersey, but when did little boys stop growing out of that?

Here’s tip for you if you actually think that wearing your team’s jersey makes you a part of the team:

It doesn’t…

Obviously, not every fan who wears his team’s jersey to a game is looking for someone from “the enemy” to beat up. But maybe somebody should do a psychological study to find out if all those game jerseys have contributed to the new mob mentality that seems to exist in the stands these days.

Luckily Mrs. Stow wasn’t at the game, as one can only wonder per this logic what risks she would have been deemed to have assumed by wearing a Giants jersey to Chavez Ravine. San Francisco sports writers are understandably horrified by the piece; follow the comments on Steigerwald’s own page to watch readers give it to him with both barrels. Hope this guy enjoys his next career.

Update: Incidentally, since when is Dodger Stadium a hotbed of team pride so fanatic that it would spill over into psychosis? A story from my own impetuous youth: I, a diehard Mets fan, was in the left-field stands at Yankee Stadium in 1997 for the first regular-season interleague game between the two teams. Against all odds, mediocre Mets starter Dave Mlicki shut out the defending champion Yanks, 6-0, striking out Derek Jeter to end the game. The Mets fans in the park danced in the aisles — oh, how we danced — and yet, even having just suffered a high-stakes humiliation, the soulless frontrunning Yankee fans did no violence to anyone. That’s the way it ought to be. Intense hatred, but without bloodletting. Never, ever would have guessed that L.A. would be the city to break that rule.

Update (Ed): Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time it’s happened in LA.  When the Raiders played in the Coliseum, a Pittsburgh Steelers fan got badly beaten in the stands for wearing a Steelers jersey and being a little too enthusiastic.  Angelenos at the time figured that it was the Raiders mentality, but here we are again.

I grew up watching baseball games at Dodger Stadium.  The fans there had a national reputation as the most laid-back in the league.  When I was kid, you’d hardly even hear booing during a game, just silence or polite applause for the visitors.  Legendary game-caller Vin Scully set the tone for Dodger fans everywhere (and still does) with his sportsmanlike good will for home team and opponents alike and fair play.  Whoever committed this vile act ruined something very special at Dodger Stadium, and hopefully this will shock Angelenos into realizing just how valuable that was.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

IIRC, the LAPD academy is located next door to Dodger Stadium. This incident was practically in their back yard.

Christien on April 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM

The last time I was in Dodger Stadium was in 2004, and I was scared. Let’s just say it felt more like Oaxaca than the USA. The stadium itself is a giant toilet, and the parking lot is even worse. I have never been so relieved to get to my car and get the hell out of a public place.

Notice how none of the news stories about this incident have mentioned the nationality of the attackers? I’m guessing this guy was not attacked for the color of his jersey…..

rockmom on April 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Five years ago I took my then seven year-old son to his first Dodger game and I was horrified at the vile behavior of the “fans” around us. We left after the sixth inning and haven’t been back since.

Prayers to that man and his family.

pugwriter on April 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I love how Steigerwald’s website has the heading “No punches pulled,” yet they shut down the comment to this putrid column because they can’t take the heat.

Kensington on April 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM

As a long-time Giants fan, I’ve been to many Giants-Dodgers games at both Candlestick Park and Pac Bell SBC AT&T Park. The crowd is at least 1/3 decked out in Dodgers gear and nobody really cares. Sure there’s jeering and cat-calling and whatnot in the stands, but nobody is waiting for anybody else in the parking lot to trounce them for wearing the opposing team’s shirt.

This is truly reprehensible.

Left Coast Right Mind on April 12, 2011 at 8:27 PM

What a cesspool Dodger Stadium has become. It’s really sad, I used to go to the games, but the thug element is overwhelming. I’m afraid to go simply because I’m the type of gal who would step in the middle and try to diffuse the situation. In other words, step right in it. Wish I had a cc permit for a handgun, but all I have is a tazer, and those vatos would laff at me, then shoot me with their 9mm.

The only safe sporting venues in SoCal are Angel’s Stadium or Charger Stadium. My hubby and I went to see the Chargers play the Vikings here in San Diego, and we each wore opposing jerseys. He wore an old Doug Flutie jersey and I wore a Randy Moss jersey. The worst that happened is that we got a lot of attention, with people making “uh oh” type comments and laffing with us about there being hell to pay later… cute, right?

You wouldn’t catch me dead at a Raiders, Dodgers or Lakers game here in SoCal. These people are Crazy.

Califemme on April 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Concealed carry is the answer. Not possible in most of CA.

Dandapani on April 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I followed the link to the column.

I feel like throwing up.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM

OldEnglish… Spiders? What??? Haha! Sorry you are so outrageously outraged. You are the kind of person… Nah. Not going to go there. You have to live with yourself and there’s really nothing I can say or do top that.

Eek! The spiders are coming!!!

Green Muse on April 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

The easy libtard solution is that no one will be allowed in any stadium unless dressed in those lovely blue medical scrubs, white socks, and a closed shoe.

notanobot on April 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

And he wasn’t even a facepainter!

nottakingsides on April 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Green Muse on April 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Sydney funnel-web spiders, when aggravated, will attack – just as some humans will.

Said spiders can kill, just as some humans can.

What, pray, is wrong with caution?

OldEnglish on April 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM

If you wear a short skirt you must be asking to be dragged in the alley, beaten and raped.
Similar or not?

Observation on April 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Califemme on April 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM

The Raiders are in Oakland these days

darwin-t on April 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Similar or not?

Observation on April 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM

No, not asking, but more likely to be than someone zipped up from top to bottom – in certain areas/conditions.

OldEnglish on April 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Yankee fans are “front-runners” ?

This from a METS fan ? I didn’t know there was a lower form of sports fan on earth.

The LAST thing people are that you’ll find AT Yankee Stadium ? Front-runners.

deadrody on April 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Is an unarmed person who drops into a bear pit, stupid or not?

OldEnglish on April 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I’ve worn my Cubs jersey to Minute Maid Park and Ballpark in Arlington to watch the Cubs play. Astros fans are jerks but not the kind of jerks that would beat you to death and land you in a hospital. Rangers fans were very nice and last season I was happy to see their guys go to the World Series.

I’ve also been to many LSU football games at Tiger Stadium. LSU fans have a reputation of being some of the worst in college football. Things really get interesting when playing an SEC rival. If anything, there are tons of Bama fans in Baton Rouge and they show up in force at Tiger Stadium. With all that said, there’s the heckling and yelling of Tiger Bait to opposing fans but never ended up in a fight. You’ll even see LSU fans with fans of opposing schools have a good time tailgating across campus.

So what if the guy wore his favorite team’s colors to a baseball game. That’s one of the best part of being a fan is to be proud of your team regardless of the ups and downs. What happened to Stow is inexcusable.

Quite possibly the only MLB play-by-play guy I can enjoy listening to outside WGN.

Lay-Z on April 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Due to an overwhelming response, comments have been stopped.

Somehow I am guessing the comments were pretty scathing

CWforFreedom on April 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Vin Scully Calls Hank Aaron’s 715th Homer

Pure.Class.

Christien on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Disgusting.

nickj116 on April 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

At latest count, 269 out of 269 comments to the column were critical of the author, most calling him anything but a journalist, many calling for him and/or his editor(s) to be fired.

There is still a shred of sanity in the world, but Join Steigerwald wouldn’t recognize it.

Freelancer on April 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Christien on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I remember it well. The fourth pitch to Aaron in the fourth inning, in the fourth month of 1974, from Al Downing (Dodgers #44) to Hank Aaron (Braves #44). It flew over a billboard on the wall for MasterCharge which read “Think of it as Money”

Freelancer on April 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Wow. We went to a spring training game at their spring training ball park. We were decked out in Ranger’s gear, but no one said a thing to us. I’m guessing that the kind of fans who come out to spring training are probably a bit different than the ones that did this.

Vera on April 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

It’s like blaming rich people for causing greed and resentment. They deserve to be punished!

JohnJ on April 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Here is the real story behind the beating.

I just listened to a former police gang taskforce member discuss on KFI the beating that took place. It had nothing to do with fan versus fan behavior. It had everything to do with gang violence.

In the CA prison system the Southern California branch of a Mexican street gang chose the Dodgers as their gang symbols and colors and the Northern California branch of the Mexican prison gang chose the Giants for their symbols. Each vowed to kill any member of the other gang that was found on “their turf” inside or outside the prison walls. Unfortunately for Mr. Stow he walked into a war zone completely unaware that he was wearing “enemy colors”.

Local media has refused to describe the assailants as gang members in order not to offend the Hispanic community. But anyone who has lived in CA for more than a day knows that witness descriptions and sketches of the attackers made them for gangbangers. Welcome to the Nuevo Estados Unidos.

in_awe on April 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I’ve been a life long Dodgers fan, and I finally was able to make a trip last May and catch a game at Dodgers Stadium on Memorial day, and, let me tell you, the people couldn’t have been nicer. Some nice locals told me the best place to pull in to park, the people in the lot were laid back and pleasant, the people in the stands were great. The only time something bad happened was when a bunch of anti-SB1070 idiots created an issue deep in the left field bleachers, which almost came to blows (Dodgers where playing the Dbacks.)

The media shouldn’t blame everyone else for the actions of a few a**holes, which can happen at any sporting event. And violence happens way more on the streets of LA and SF by….gang members and illegal aliens.

William Teach on April 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

The stadium itself is a giant toilet

Chavez Latrine!

salmonczar on April 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Christien on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Freelancer on April 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I got to see it live with my Dad. Since the Dodgers were on the road and due to the magnitude of the moment, the Dodger TV affiliate in LA covered it… Al Downing grooved a fastball down the middle and Scully made the call… Pure magic…

Khun Joe on April 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM

The fans there had a national reputation as the most laid-back in the league.

Sad to say but the violence of the macho/shame culture of the third world now dominates in L.A.

PattyJ on April 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

These weren’t sports fanatics. They were gang bangers who happened to be at a sporting event.
angryed on April 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM

And I’ll repeat myself.

Sports nuts are brutish in many cases, ignorant in many, and wholly obnoxious.

They can reiterate stats but can’t name the freaking vice president.
Just a trend I’ve noticed in my life experiences.

blatantblue on April 12, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I’m not doubting your experience. But my experience has been the opposite. In general. I haven’t seen any correlation between sports knowledge and current events knowledge.

And I will restate that the gang bangers who assaulted this man were not sports fanatics, making your argument moot in this context.

angryed on April 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM

in_awe on April 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I believe every word of that. I made the “mistake” of driving through a Northern California suburb while wearing a red cap I’d picked up in my travels, and got mad-dogged by gang punks all the way home.

I must have looked like a likely member of the Bloods. I’m 65, by the way – and if I’d wanted to live in Mexico I would have moved there a long time ago. That culture is disgusting, and steeped in male insecurity and violence.

warbaby on April 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I used to think Oakland A’s fans were rowdy.

Then I attended a night game at Dodger Stadium.

Never again.

The Ugly American on April 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM

People need to understand Los Angeles is for all intent and purpose Mexico City north. Check the stats, well over 50% of the population is Latino, not counting the undocumented. The culture surrounding Dodger Stadium is completely different than it was when I attended games in the 70′s. The Fernando Valenzuela era opened the door to a different demographic. Since then it has devolved. I can say this with a no bias conviction as a person bearing a Hispanic name.

FireBlogger on April 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

There are nuggets of fact there, but overall the guy on the radio had it wrong.

First off, it’s not “branches” of a street gang, it’s two different umbrella gang organizations — like the National League and the American League, if you will, of Mexican gangs. Norteños (Northerners) & Sureños (Southerners). These organizations are not limited to NorCal & SoCal, though. Both have affiliated sets throughout California — not just in big cities, but in smaller agricultural towns too, like Salinas & Modesto. In Oakland & San Francisco, both organizations are active: they have distinct turfs, and fight like the Crips & Bloods used to. There’s a bit of a war going on in SF between them right now, as a matter of fact.

The Norteño & Sureño organizations on the street are affiliated with gangs that started in the state prison system: Nuestra Familia and the Mexican Mafia (or “La Eme” (“the M”)), respectively. Norteños use “14″ as a gang symbol (for the letter “N”) & Sureños use “13″ (for the letter “M”). Sureños wear blue as a gang color, and they have adopted Dodgers gear as a gang symbol. That last part is what the guy on the radio got right.

However, Norteños have NOT adopted Giants gear as a gang symbol. Norteños wear red, not orange. They do sometimes wear 49er gear, however. Good thing there isn’t a 49ers / Dodgers game.

Also, gang members don’t usually attack random people just for wearing the wrong color or the wrong sports uniform, on the basis that they think the victim’s a member of the rival gang. They might attack random people just because they feel like doing some random violence, of course. But Mr. Stow does not look like a Latino gangbanger, and I think that would be obvious even to the thugs who beat him up.

I’m a 40-year-old professional-looking white guy who doesn’t look Latino at all, and I don’t think twice about what color I wear when I go to the Mission District, or which gang’s territory I’m in when I go there. I’ve been going to the Mission District regularly for 16 years with no trouble whatsoever — some of the best food and bars in the City are down there. A Mexican-looking teenager needs to be a lot more conscious of it, however.

I can say with about 98% certainty that Mr. Stow did not get beaten because the thugs thought he was a Norteno, even if they were Surenos. It’s much more likely they were just looking for someone to beat up, and Mr. Stow happened to be there. The sports rivalry probably was their pretext for the violence, but that’s it — not gangs.

Alex_SF on April 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Wait…you went outside?

The Lone Platypus on April 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM

that’s sports fandom.

two types of people are atracted to sports: dickless statistics nerds who live with their moms and subliterate cromags.

this was typical sports behavior.

eh on April 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM

alex, you’re only saying that because you’re a mexican-hugging race traitor. it has to be mexicans street gangs because that fits right into the bilderbergs’ plans for a north american union. this is as real as the dead goat found on an upstate new york assemblyman’s doorstep…left there by MS13 by the upstate new york assemblyman. mexican gangs are behind every public disturbance, be it in wyoming or pawtucket. and the expert source on mexican gang activity happens to be tweaked out alex jones fans.

however, what if the assailants turned out to be black? what would that do for anti-immigration monomaniacs’ phony narrative of concern about mexican-led “ethnic cleansing” of black neighborhoods? i don’t think it would take them a microsecond to switch instead to the “‘obgabi’ is turning our country into a jungle” narrative.

because they aren’t racists.

eh on April 13, 2011 at 12:32 AM

eh on April 13, 2011 at 12:32 AM

What in the jibbering f##k are you on about, anyway?

That’s quite a platoon of strawmen you’ve assembled there. I suppose there’s nothing “monomaniacal” at all about portraying people concerned about the spread of gang culture as racist, “anti-immigration,” and associated with conspiracy nuts.

Alex_SF on April 13, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Bullshit. You’ve been stone lucky, and you’re just too hip to admit it. I’m 25 years older than you (and white) and I’ve been attacked in SF as well as other NorCal towns just because of that, and because I wore the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood.

Just because you’re a culture vulture doesn’t mean you’re safe in those “great bars and restaurants.” And by the way, capitalizing “the City” is bush.

warbaby on April 13, 2011 at 2:03 AM

alex,

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person’s actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

i didn’t employ a strawman. anti-immigrant lunatics are racist conspiracy nuts, and one pattern of rhetoric highly correlated with anti-immigrant lunacy is the reflex to raise the omnipresent threat of latino street gangs in any context regardless of whether there is even the possibility a latino gang might have been involved.

i’m not exaggerating this reflex at all either. the clearest example of this was when a new york state assemblyman, greg ball, tried to make a career out of being an anti-immigration lunatic. since his district was 91% white and the only latinos in the area were puerto rican and dominican republican, he decided to buy a goat, kill it and later “discover” it on his doorstep with a sign reading
“viva ms13″ around it’s neck so he could portray this as evidence that his vigilance was effectively threatening a gang which is in existence no where near his district.

the comment you had to correct was another example of this reflex: second hand fear mongering about mexican street gangs received by some self-appointed “expert” calling into a conservative talk show.

here’s an additional fact: the perpetrators are not known to be gang members at all. they are only known to be latino, and because of that, this poor guy, while lying in a coma, has been made into a martyr for “white resistance” on white supremacist websites.

eh on April 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM

you thought i was making a strawman, but warbaby looks an awful lot like my strawman: reacting in anger to your fact-check of the latino gang crap and portraying you as a femmy hipster liberal who is too pc to recognize that there’s a race war going on.

eh on April 13, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Even though I am a huge Packer fan in the Twin Cities, I have never been close to a Viking fan beating my brains in. Their team is sub par but at least their fans haven’t wanted to kill me. I will give them that.

Pretty bad column. I have worn my Brewers jersey to games knowing it doesn’t make me a member of the team. But when I wore it to the Metrodome it got me free baseballs from the Brewer’s bullpen. RIP Geremi Gonzalez

closetgop on April 13, 2011 at 6:23 AM

My brother and his son went to a professional football game in Denver a couple years ago. It was quite cold, and my brother was wearing a heavy black winter coat. Throughout much of the game, three Latinos “heckled” him pretty aggressively, for no reason except some assumption that went with his wearing black (he said they commented on it). They finally left, before the end of the game. I have no idea if they were gang members, but this makes me wonder.

DrMagnolias on April 13, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Didn’t this attack happen after the game? I was just surprised to hear that any Dodger fans were still around after the game. They usually leave by around the 7th inning.

Selkirk on April 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I grew up in the south bay with all the gang crap in the public schools. The hispanics tended to stick with the raiders gear all the time and I always got the feeling that it wasn’t because they liked the raiders.

It’s too bad the scumbags had to adopt sporting teams into their macho pissing match.

Free Indeed on April 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Look what this idoit wrote in his own blog. He is truely a loser.

JohnSteigerwald
in April 13th, 2011 @ 08:19
No Giants jersey. No beating.

Source: http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/thanks-for-not-taking-it-personally#comments

jlemieu1 on April 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM

There have been so many comments, the newspaper closed the comments section. If you want to contact the a-hole directly to let him know what you think, here’s the link

olesparkie on April 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Put a high fence around the city, and if anyone needs rescuing, just send in Snake Plissken.

Ward Cleaver on April 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Probably citizens

NOT

Sonosam on April 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

eh on April 13, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Warbaby is relating personal experience, of which you obviously have none whatsoever.

I’d say that you’ll eventually come to recognize reality when you’ve grown up, but frankly you don’t look smart enough to survive that long.

warbaby on April 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Of course the column was inappropriate right after this incident occurred. And nobody deserves to be beaten up for wearing an opponent’s jersey in somebody else’s ballpark.

That being said, wearing other team’s colors in someone else’s ballpark is looking for trouble, and introducing a situation that had they simply not worn those colors, wouldn’t be happening.

I go to Giants football games and wear my blue jersey. I’d never wear it at an Eagles game or Redskins game. I’d root for the Giants in those venues, but that’s it.

asc85 on April 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Considering that you just came at me with an insulting attitude like that right out of the gate, when I made no remarks directed at you, I somehow doubt that what color you wore had anything to do with it. Perhaps you just look like as much of an asshole as your written remarks make you seem like.

Alex_SF on April 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Chavez Latrine.

Lived in SoCal for a couple of years. Big baseball fan. Went to see the Dodgers once, never again unless in a box or somewhere out of the cheap seats.

I’ve been in a lot of parks in both the cheap and not-so-cheap seats. Chavez was the ONLY place I didn’t feel comfortable.

Just like the city there are parts of that park that are full of thugs and low life cowards like the ones who jumped the Giants fan.

jcrue on April 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Hmmm, high % of latinos – namely gang members – who use Dodger jerseys as gang identifiers are running amock and assaulting white people…

My things have changed for the formerly “chilled out” stadium.

I cant seem to figure out why.

Odie1941 on April 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

In my teen years I remember our basketball coach stepping to the center of the court and telling the crowd if there was any more booing of the officials he would stop the game and forfeit to the visiting school. It reminded us it was only a game.

Herb on April 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM