Beck’s dream ticket: Allen West/Michele Bachmann

posted at 8:03 pm on April 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze, as fanciful tickets go, this one might be a smidge more popular with grassroots conservatives than the Huckabee/Trump pairing. I understand why he chose West, who’s a rock star among rock stars, but I’m surprised that he’d opt for Bachmann over Palin given their high-profile appearances together last year in D.C. and Alaska. He doesn’t sugar-coat his reasoning either with some variation of “she’s too big for the office.” His argument, essentially, is that the media wrecking ball has done real damage to her image and that she hasn’t repaired it sufficiently to be viable. That’s a standard read on her for a centrist conservative but not typical of someone who’s keynoted CPAC recently. Makes me wonder what’ll happen on the right if Bachmann formally announces and then Palin jumps in later this year, jolting the race. Will Palin overwhelm her with name recognition, or will Beck-ian logic rally tea partiers behind Bachmann as the (marginally) more electable of the two? Tough choices.

And speaking of Huckabee and Trump, the Donald wasn’t the only important meeting that Huck’s had in NYC lately. According to Politico, he’s feeling out wealthy donors to see if the money will be there should he choose to dive in. When you’re in or near the lead in every major poll, I guess it’s hard to say no. The next “dream” ticket on the horizon: Huckabee/Barbour?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I agree!..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Okay in response to above about Beck. His ratings dropped but he still won his spot.

The problem was money. No one would advertise with him… because of the boycott… that is why all the gold ads… If Beck was still winning his spot and the ad revenue was coming in he would have been a money maker.

The boycott worked.

I am not happy about that, believe me!!!! I just don’t think pretending the political pressure isn’t a big deal is fruitless.

The left is very very good at destroying people. Both Beck and Palin have fared remarkably well under the circumstances. But they still are suffering the consequences of the left-wing wackos targeting them.

There is a reason they study Alinsky. The left-wing plays for keeps.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I’m liking Pawlenty/West. T-Paw is going to speak here at the Boston Tax Day Rally. I hope he stirs up the crowd.

4Freedom on April 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Excellent point. A recent article out here about the support for Palin in LA’s Latino population. She’s a shock-bomb of support from all sorts of unlikely quarters that terrifies the Left.

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Some of my cousins are Latina, and the say she has a lot of support in the Latina community. That’s where I got that “Sarah’s Latina” comment from…LOL

idesign on April 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

4Freedom on April 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I hope so too. So far he meets the criteria I’ve set for who I support… except that darn charisma thing!

I distrust charisma, but it is everything for most people.

In fact… I thought T-Paw had already announced… and I really like him and didn’t realize he hadn’t.

He definitely needs to work on charisma.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

The left-wing plays for keeps.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I saw the same ad rotation on Beck that was on all during the day on Fox. It only switches over to bigger advertisers during prime time, which Beck never was.

That said, Ailes would never buckle to boycott pressures. I stopped watching Beck a year ago because it was the same old stuff over and over and over again.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

He definitely needs to work on charisma.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

LOL

idesign on April 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I think it’s a coin-flip as to who is more electable. With the ultimate answer being “neither are”. But I would probably give the edge to Palin. She HAS had real damage done to her rep, and she HAS NOT sufficiently acted to overcome it. But Bachmann strikes me as pretty much the kook the media has portrayed Palin to be. I mean, the media and people like Tina Fey have built up this caricature of Palin, but to me, Michelle Bachmann is the one who seems to be the real-deal-Holyfield caricature of a Tea Party conservative woman.

Vyce on April 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

The boycott worked.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Prove it. If “no one” was advertising with him this would be widely documented across the ad industry and trade papers.

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM

We so need to fire Obama.

That’s the goal and everyone should be focused on that.

Lourdes on April 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Not if we move from 90% liberal to 60% liberal, a la Mitt, Huck, Newt, etc.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

And you, who refers to yourself as “Conservative,” who supports abortion, called Donald Trump “not a Conservative” because he does not support abortion.

So you have a batting average of less than zero as to intellectual credibility.

Lourdes on April 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

The exact reason I WILL VOTE FOR NO ONE OTHER THAN PALIN…

fabrexe on April 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

YOU are part of the problem.
I’m a strong T-Paw supporter-but as long as they ain’t named Huck or the Ronulan-I’ll vote for whomever the GOP nominee is…because the goal is to make Zero a one term president.
You seem to have lost sight of that.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

T-Paw versus O-Bow!

ABO! (Anybody But Obama)

profitsbeard on April 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I distrust charisma, but it is everything for most people.

He definitely needs to work on charisma.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’ll take competence over charisma every time.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You sure use a lot of words to say “I have no idea what I’m talking about”.

darwin-t on April 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

So you have a batting average of less than zero as to intellectual credibility.

Lourdes on April 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

News flash, dimwit.

Pro-choice does not mean “not conservative”.

Pro-life does not mean “conservative”.

Color me less than surprised that you don’t know this. I love you single-issue voters. Trump, by the way, used to be pro-choice. If you were consistent, you wouldn’t trust him, but consistency requires you not be a dimwit.

He’s also anti-gun. He also suggested an extra huge tax on the rich to pay of the national debt.

One-time 14.25% tax on wealth, to erase national debt

Trump wants to soak the rich, including himself. He proposed a 14.25% tax yesterday on the net worth of wealthy Americans.
He said the one-time tax package would:
Raise $5.7 trillion to erase the nation’s debt and save $200 billion in annual interest payments
Use the savings to save Social Security and slash taxes for the middle class
Increase his personal tax bill by at least $725 million.
Source: Boston Globe, p. A19 Nov 10, 1999

No president is going to get abortion overturned in the next couple of decades. Wake up and pay attention to the issues that matter right now.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM

If Trump is winning over morons like Lourdes, who would vote for Obama if he said he was pro-life, no wonder he’s suddenly popular.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM

The exact reason I WILL VOTE FOR NO ONE OTHER THAN PALIN…

fabrexe on April 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Right on, brother.

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I don’t believe the Beck-boycott story either. Looks more like the progs decided to declare victory because they think they can get away with it. If they won, why is Beck not leaving until September or so?

Personally though I think he pushes himself too hard, and I’ve always worried that he could burn out. I’m looking forward to the Fox News specials that he will be producing.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Right on, brother.

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Gov. Palin is certain to endorse whomever the eventual nominee is-if it’s someone other than herself. She knows that to do otherwise will get us another 4 years of Barry.
You should try being more like your idol

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

We so need to fire Obama.

That’s the goal and everyone should be focused on that.

Lourdes on April 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Lourdes:Frame that,and,Election Slogan!:)

canopfor on April 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

My dream ticket as well!

infidel4life on April 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

by conservativeforpalin
I will go to hell and back for Sarah Palin

I will go to hell and back for Sarah Palin, literally. Why? Because this woman loves America as much as I do. She wakes up everyday, works hard, and does her best to do what is right for America and her family. She is truly an eloquent, inspirational person that conveys the greatness of America and displays dutiful American exceptionalism. Though extraneous, the Liberal mainstream media despises Palin because she isn’t afraid to speak out and express her concerns with the direction this country is taking. She has the efficacy, the influence, and a spine that’s built of steel. Even in the face of the nastiest, most misogynistic, vile attacks from the Left, Sarah Palin fights on with: class, grace, style, and charm. In doing so, she does not relinquish her influence from the attacks because her principles have and will make a difference for this country. So one might ask is it actually worth going to hell and back for this woman? Well my friends, it most …………….

idesign on April 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

For goodness sakes, and bless AP’s heart! The very idea of Huck/Barbour made me spit out my sweet tea! This ‘Bama girl is gonna go eat her blueberry cobbler.

kringeesmom on April 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

by conservativeforpalin
I will go to hell and back for Sarah Palin

idesign on April 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Oh. Good. Gawd.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Oh. Good. Gawd.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Don’t you love all these people dropping their pants and bending over…for politicians?

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Or thinking with their johnson’s?

Knucklehead on April 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Or thinking with their johnson’s?

Knucklehead on April 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM

That’s never going to change, my friend. I still get turned on by Maggie Thatcher.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Isn’t it interesting the words people choose. I would never use the word “idol” in such a context regarding another person and the candidate he supported. But I’ve found this true across many sites. To support Palin is to be a cultist, an idolizer, a worshipper. The terms are thrown about haphazardly.

Doubly interesting — I’ve met many Palin supporters and not yet met one I would classify as an idolizer. Each has been acutely aware of her imperfections (indeed, is even more drawn to her because of her honesty about them) and has worked out his or her support in terms of her unusual civic and personal character, her qualities of the “servant’s heart”, her earthiness, cheerfulness and commitment to something in America they value deeply and feel is slipping away. This may be true of other supporters and their candidates, but I’ve found it true in Palin’s case to a degree new to me. There is very little awe or blind adoration — it is more a sense of appreciation for someone we’ve always wanted to see in this position, a type and character of person who has never been in power in our memory, an extraordinary ordinary person.

Your prophecy is noted — she will not run and if she does she will lose and then she will endorse another candidate whom I will refuse to vote for. Wow.

But I disagree. She will run, and she will not lose, and I will not be in a position of having to vote for somebody else.

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I’ve been try to hold my tongue but cue up the frickin’ song.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I don’t get turned on by the Iron Lady-sorry, I don’t roll that way LoL-but I don’t look up to her still.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

You should try being more like your idol

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Geez, who says he won’t? Or that any of us won’t? Yet again I feel compelled to point out that there appear to be far more Palin detractors throwing a fit about her potential candidacy than there are Palinistas vowing to stay home if she doesn’t get the nod. I think she’s running — and I think she’s a waaaay better choice than Bachmann — but if she doesn’t and she endorses someone else? I’ll consider her recommendation. But in the end, I’ll be making up my own mind, thanksverymuch. I don’t know why you anti-Palin folks are constantly wringing your hands over what her supporters might do. You worry about your vote, and I’ll worry about mine. And maybe try taking your own advice.

NoLeftTurn on April 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Palin /West vs. Obama/Biden would make for some really great debates.

Sarah would finally get her shot at the Big O, and Biden would have to face off with Lt. Col Allen West on live TV.

What a show that would be!

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:22 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

As well as Jean Kirkpatrick? Another true hero of mine, but I don’t play on that team.

Knucklehead on April 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Oh my gosh, can you believe how this MadCon is dropping his trousers for a politician?!? A foreigner even!

Egads the horror!/

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Egads the horror!/

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM

For an accomplished politician who did things that changed the world. Not someone who most people hadn’t heard of three years ago.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM

So now you justify in your own behavior that which you had just criticized in others. Interesting.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM

MadCon admires Dame Thatcher-but I kind of believe that he wouldn’t go to hell and back for her.
big. difference.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM

If you’re too blind to see the difference between a retired national leader who helped to end the Cold War, and an ex-governor fishing for a presidential run, that’s not my problem. Maggie Thatcher isn’t trying to get my vote. People like Palin and other politicians are.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Speaking of politicians who are stimulating, did anyone notice the freshman Rep on Hannity tonight from Washington State? She was on the Frank Luntz focus group of freshman Reps, and I had never seen or heard of her before.

I followed that primary and general pretty closely through many blogs, but this one escaped my attention until this evening.

She was passionate, articulate, conservative, and very telegenic. Why haven’t I seen her on TV more often?

Another good messenger for our side.

That election turned out pretty cool, so many new Republicans I couldn’t keep up with them all.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

big. difference.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM

No, not that kind of fanaticism. However, I’m pretty sure Brian1972 is less interested in the truth than he is in just playing gotcha games.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Hey, you said politician. They are both politicians.

One’s career is over, and one is just getting warmed up.

Relax, you left that one open and I swung at it.

No big deal.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Haha, you would never, ever play gotcha games on HotAir would ya?

Come on, I’ve seen too many flame wars with you right in the middle of it before.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Link? I’d be interested to read that.

angryed on April 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Hey, you said politician. They are both politicians.

One’s career is over, and one is just getting warmed up.

Relax, you left that one open and I swung at it.

No big deal.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Cute. Again, worthless little gotcha games. So can I ask what bothers you about me such that you waste time like this?

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Grow up.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Grow up.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM

My my, aren’t we touchy this evening?

I’m laughing, I just remembered you and Jenfidel arguing over buttsex for like three weeks.

Grow up yourself, jerky.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Pro-choice does not mean “not conservative”.

Pro-life does not mean “conservative”.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM

AMEN!

I can’t stand it when I’m accused of being a liberal simply because I think abortion in MANY BUT NOT ALL INSTANCES should be allowed to occur.

I’ve also said this several times and it bears repeating:

With another 4 years of Obama abortion will be the last thing on your mind when you don’t have enough money to eat or provide shelter for your family or when you’re in pain due to a 12 month wait list to see a doctor. Because that’s it. If Obama wins in 2012, the game is over. This country is finished. You think he’s a radical now? You ain’t seen nothing yet. At least now he sort of has to pretend to be a centrist to get re-elected. In term 2, there’s no pretense anymore. He will go full blown 90% tax rates, govt run health, gun ban, cap n trade, you name it. And idiots like Boehner and McConnell won’t do much to stop him.

So your choice is this: 4 more years of Obama or a pro-choice Republican. The choice is beyond easy. Yet so many single issue voters just can’t see the obvious.

angryed on April 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM

angryed on April 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM

You are wrong.

Nominate a pro-choice Republican (which I don’t think will happen anyway given the primary system), and pro-life voters don’t show up in force on election day and you’ve got 4 more years of Obama.

So there’s that.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 10:51 PM

If you argue against buttsex, the terrorists win.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Then pro-life voters are one of the problems with America.

MadisonConservative on April 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM

You are wrong.

So there’s that.

Brian1972 on April 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Which is exactly what I said.

Option 1: Vote for a pro-choice Rep
Option 2: 4 more years of Obama.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

angryed on April 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM

My choice would be Palin/West.

But, when Sarah and Todd and the rest of their family sit down and have that discussion to run or not, I feel for them. They will look back and look upon all of the abuse that was heaped upon ALL of them; Sarah and Todd and the kids. This will not be an easy decision for them, because I’m sure that they know, there will be more of the SSDD coming at them.

So, if they make the decision to go for it, I’m behind them all the way. Hopefully, with my support and yours, we can help them overcome the opposition’s crap.

Mirimichi on April 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

And that is exactly why so many of us admire this person so. It’s not dumb idol worship like the moonbats with 0. We are constantly really impressed with Palin’s judgement and her courage in the face of hostile fire. These are the things we love about her, she is a natural leader. She is still the point guard, but now she is playing on a national team and though some might underestimate her and her teams chanches I for one would never bet against her. She is a winner and this country needs a patriotic winner like never before since it’s beginning days. The George Washington analogy is not inappropriate here. Really. A

shmendrick on April 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Beck is trying to start controversy. Again. Look, there is no one more suited to the task at hand that Gov. Palin. She has the street cred, she has the executive experience, she’s a fighter. She is driving the narrative. Would there even be a tea party without her? I seriously doubt it would have the kind of energy it has now. Bachmann is merely taking advantage of the tea party’s successes. The RINO’s and the libs are all excited about her because they think it detracts from Palin voters. Ok whatever. We’ll see what kind of energy Gov. Palin brings to the race when she enters because right now these candidates we have are all snoozers in my humble opine.

long_cat on April 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Mirimichi on April 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Well said! I hope the Governor knows her supporters are praying for her regardless of her decision.

long_cat on April 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM

rrpjr on April 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Link? I’d be interested to read that.

angryed on April 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Here you go (from C4P):

Palin Buzz on the Streets of Los Angeles/Open Thread

/snip

Sarah has a great following in the Latino community because of her background and her traditional values. Of course, this isn’t being reported and these people are not being polled. Who would have thought that in the heart of Los Angeles, the “ghettos” that Sarah is so respected and supported.

//snip

ornery_independent on April 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM

I distrust charisma, but it is everything for most people.

He definitely needs to work on charisma.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’ll take competence over charisma every time.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

You cannot “work on” your charisma. You either have it or you don’t. Pawlenty does not have it.

Naturally Curly on April 13, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Well, Stu did point out that it doesn’t look like Palin wants to run. So, why throw her into a race she hasn’t shown any interest in?

mizflame98 on April 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM

“Haven’t I done enough for my country?”

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Know what would happen with a Hispanic on the Republican ticket? Biden would get dumped, that is what would happen.

Marcus on April 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I.DON’T.WANT.RUBIO.ON.THE.TICKET. Hispanics, Latinos would run his campaign via Univisión and he’d be a Latino Obama. My personal distate, he’s Cuban.

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Sarah Palin HAS to be Latina: she has a job and her husband don’t work. She’s a grandma, and has an infant-she’s Latina…..

Palin is going to get a lot more support from the Latina community than most people think.

idesign on April 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM

That was really weird. I’m not Latina but I think I’m insulted… I think.

petunia on April 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I AM Latina and I AM insulted! WTH!!! She is Conservative and if my gut is right, Catholics will follow suit b/c of the abortion issue. She has PUMA’s already. I just need to speak to other Spanish-speaking ppl to get their view on her; so far my sis in PR sees that she’s polarizing but PR does not follow the POTUS race b/c as Territory the island has to put up with anybody that wins.

Just sayin’…4M Americans with an electoral participation of approx. 86% that can’t vote.

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM