Waukesha County Dem on Prosser vote totals: On second thought, this whole thing is darned shady; Update: Numbers match, says investigator

posted at 5:38 pm on April 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

Actual quote: “I am 80 years old and I don’t understand anything about computers.”

Once the canvass had been completed and the results were finalized, I was called into Kathy’s office along with Pat (the Republican observer) and told of an impending 5:30pm press conference. It was at that point that I was first made aware of an error Kathy had made in Brookfield City. Kathy told us she thought she had saved the Brookfield voter information Tuesday night, but then on Wednesday she said she noticed she had not hit save. Kathy didn’t offer an explanation about why she didn’t mention anything prior to Thursday afternoon’s canvass completion, but showed us different tapes where numbers seemed to add up, though I have no idea where the numbers were coming from. I was not told of the magnitude of this error, just that she had made one. I was then instructed that I would not say anything at the press conference, and was actually surprised when I was asked questions by reporters.

The reason I offer this explanation is that, with the enormous amount of attention this has received over the weekend, many people are offering my statements at the press conference that the “numbers jibed” as validation they are correct and I can vouch for their accuracy. As I told Kathy when I was called into the room — I am 80 years old and I don’t understand anything about computers. I don’t know where the numbers Kathy was showing me ultimately came from, but they seemed to add up. I am still very, very confused about why the canvass was finalized before I was informed of the Brookfield error and it wasn’t even until the press conference was happening that I learned it was this enormous mistake that could swing the whole election. I was never shown anything that would verify Kathy’s statement about the missing vote, and with how events unfolded and people citing me as an authority on this now, I feel like I must speak up.

She also finds it unusual that they were called in to canvass on Wednesday morning instead of the usual Thursday procedure. Just spitballing here, but might that have something to do with … the intense national interest in the race and the astoundingly narrow margin between Prosser and Kloppenburg? Maybe?

Click the image below and skip to 13:30 to watch her turn at the mic at last week’s presser. She sure did seem comfortable with the results at the time; I shudder to think what sort of “encouragement” she’s been getting from Democrats since then to convince her to sign off on a statement as demeaning as this one. It’ll all be for naught, too: Read Mark Blumenthal’s analysis at HuffPo(!) of how the new Waukesha numbers are more believable than the ones from election night and how the sort of recording error made by county clerk Kathy Nickolaus really isn’t all that unusual. His is the third statistical model to lend credence to the updated vote totals since they were announced. And if that’s not convincing enough, forget the statisticians and simply note that a paper in Brookfield — where the “missing” votes were “found” — actually published the correct vote total on election night. The votes were there all along, as tallied and reported by the City of Brookfield. The “error” came when Nickolaus forgot to include the updated numbers from the city in relaying her vote totals to the AP.

So no, these votes aren’t getting overturned, but Democrats already know that. The point of putting out Kitzinger’s statement isn’t to win an election that’s now lost but to delegitimize the outcome as best they can. Why, not only did Walker and Nickolaus rig the vote for Prosser, they tricked a sweet old lady to do it. It’s practically senior abuse. The bastards.

Update: The state investigation in Waukesha is ongoing, but to no one’s surprise, no shenanigans have been detected thus far:

GAB Director Kevin Kennedy says the agency’s investigation of spring election procedures in Waukesha County remains ongoing, but that the final canvass numbers in the city of Brookfield match the initial tallies from poll workers on Election Night.

“We don’t see, at this point, any criminal activity, but we certainly see practices that need to be changed to bolster public confidence,” Kennedy said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

(Referring to the postings within the archived thread “Klopppenberg declares victory” on 4/7/11 as the most glaring recent example.)

viking01 on April 11, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Unfortunately, this clerk was previously involved in a political scandal and given immunity. I believe she was also connected to Prosser via the state Republican Party caucus?

The latter means nothing to me, because if they’re in the same party, then they’re likely to have worked with each other-obviously.

But the former…the lady sounds a little shady. Wonder if and what the Dems can do with this?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I love my Cur. Best. Dog. Ever. I have a Black Mouth Cur and he is awesome. He adopted me as a stray and from this day forward I will not have another breed.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

The thing that keeps me semi-saneis knowing that if I ever get to heaven, my bestest dawgs evar will be there.

katy the mean old lady on April 11, 2011 at 11:47 PM

OK. Well, I never see a personal attack. Just a generalization.
Like I said, the curdog ain’t that bad. Wanna ban someone? Go with Drywall.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Careful, Lanceman. Next you’ll be accused of trying to get a date.

Tennman on April 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Blake on April 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Guys, she is not in law school…I unraveled that weeks ago…she is a para-legal at best, but certainly not a law student. Maybe a student who took a law class, but she is not enrolled in a law school.
Don’t be fooled so easily…

right2bright on April 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM

right2bright on April 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Court recorder, my guess.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Careful, Lanceman. Next you’ll be accused of trying to get a date.

Tennman on April 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I do not date liberals at all. My current girlfriend is, of all things, a 29 year old lawyer with an actual law degree from Stetson law school and a member of the Florida Bar. She hates obama and liberals. Which is kinda strange because she did her thesis on gay marriage. She’s for it.

Lanceman on April 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Wow, you got your Dem talking points.

WoosterOh on April 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Wisconsin: Please Stop the Elder Abuse!

BigAlSouth on April 12, 2011 at 6:29 AM

“When she told me she didn’t save the data, I was wondering what she was saving it from. I also wondered, if the data was in danger and needed to be saved, why didn’t she ask me to help her with the rescue?”

olesparkie on April 12, 2011 at 6:44 AM

How about we have an investigation on why the Democrats are so hell-bent for leather determined to try and change the outcome of this election? Why are they so anxious to install someone on the Wisconsin Supreme Court who is so blatantly incompetent, she declared victory before all votes had been accounted for?

Why is no one asking those questions?

pilamaye on April 12, 2011 at 7:32 AM

pilamaye…No-one’s asking those questions because they’re easily answered. The democrats, locally, had turned this supreme court race in WI into a referendum on Governor Walker and his budget repair bill. Nationally the democrats (and unions) were hoping to demonstrate that they had some momentum while spiking reforms that will hurt their chances in 2012. If they lose this, they’re done, and they know it.

Vancomycin on April 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM

On the bright side, the right guy won, the unions spent a whole lotta money on this, the bill will be ruled legal, a lib judge may get censured, Walker was vindicated, and this state may yet be saved from fiscal hell. This same battle is being waged all over the country to some degree. People are waking up.

Kissmygrits on April 12, 2011 at 8:27 AM

No, I’m not lying. That post was not sarcastic at all. I am absolutely confident in that fact. I was being 100% earnest.

crr6 on April 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Wait, you still believe it?

Count to 10 on April 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Court recorder, my guess.

slickwillie2001 on April 12, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Probably more right, it fits. The only thing is that she posts so young, not sure she would be able to handle that job.

right2bright on April 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I had a hunch that Ramona would change her tune once her own party had got to her. Some liberals amaze me that they can say that everything was valid and then turn around and say they were tricked.

closetgop on April 12, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I do not date liberals at all. .

Lanceman on April 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM

That’s what I was accused of. You must be nicer than I — or luckier.:)

Tennman on April 12, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Good lord! Dems aren’t being thrown under the bus. They seem to be perfectly willing to crawl under there of their own volition. Cult loyalty.

capejasmine on April 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Don’t be fooled so easily…

right2bright on April 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I’m not. You are.

Blake on April 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM

“I don’t know nothing about birth’in no babies

J_Crater on April 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

If you don’t understand computers or how the process is tabulated, you have no business being in that position.

Bob's Kid on April 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM

That’s what I was accused of. You must be nicer than I — or luckier.:)

Tennman on April 12, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Don’t let Lanceman’s niceness fool you.
He’s as mean as they come! JK Lanceman!

Badger40 on April 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Bob’s Kid on April 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM

THIS.

I think computers introduce a new element to voting that is more dangerous than the paper ballot.

Badger40 on April 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM

He’s as mean as they come!

Badger40 on April 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM

They already know.

Lanceman on April 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Why is no one asking those questions?

pilamaye on April 12, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Because these are the same people who find nothing wrong with their senators ursurping proper government procedure by running away and hiding just because they didn’t get their way this time.

Vancomycin on April 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Yep, that too.

Sterling Holobyte on April 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

If you think about it, I can’t recall any personal attacks by her.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM
I don’t have to think about it…she makes personal attacks, usually with one or two of her troll buddies. Unfortunately for her, most have been banned.

I can’t think of anything more obnoxious than a person who constantly tells us how smart she is because she is in law school (up and coming one L, as she puts it). I believe she hangs out here because most of her classmates find her insufferable.

Blake on April 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Of course she makes personal attacks. I commented one thread about the disruption that repealing DADT would cause on billeting of male service members. Her responce insulting, involved name-calling and was a last straw moment for me in even trying to exchange with her at an adult level. She is as trollish as they come when she needs to be and not worth even the time to consider her comments.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Lanceman on April 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM

A lawyer for hats!

jdkchem on April 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM

OK. I give up. Have the curdog banned.

Lanceman on April 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Liberal despair is a delicious feeling.

I want more.

Roy Rogers on April 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Great, another boondoogle of an election that concludes with a Dem heavy precinct, of which always “tips the scales at the end”, whereas a Rep was leading until then.

Minn, Alaska, WI… all due to the 2000 “payback effect”

Odie1941 on April 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I knew that beotch was going to suffer for saying that all looked on the level.

She forgot her training that when confronted with truth, kick and scream as if a conspiracy

Sonosam on April 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Democrat calling election results shady. Haha.

Let’s see, Al Franken ring a bell?

How about the entire state and national electorate of Illinois?

scotash on April 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM

What is this lady’s job? If she’s supposed to be overseeing the vote for Dimmocrits – then shouldn’t she be familiar with computers?

I’m sorry – I don’t care if she’s 80 years old or not – we’ve had computers since the 70′s – and they became popular in the mid-80′s … that’s over two decades ago. Now – if she didn’t want to learn them – that’s fine, but then again – she shouldn’t put herself in a job where she’s so easily confused by them.

HondaV65 on April 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM