Confirmed: Obama in real trouble in Florida

posted at 11:36 am on April 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, a Quinnipiac poll showed Barack Obama’s job approval rating in the Sunshine State at 42%, with 52% disapproving.  A new Mason-Dixon poll shows that the Q-poll was no outlier.  The survey conducted for the St. Petersburg Times gives Obama a 43/56 approval rating, with a surprisingly bad result among independents:

President Barack Obama is in trouble in Florida as he begins his re-election campaign.

A new Sachs/Mason-Dixon poll found that only 34 percent of independent voters in Florida — always the key to winning — approve of Obama’s performance, and that either former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney or former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee would beat the president in Florida if the election were held today.

“If one of the top-tier Republicans gets the nomination, it will be a real fight for Florida,” said Mason-Dixon pollster Brad Coker.

Obama’s disapproval rating among indies is 50%, putting Obama 16 points underwater.  In contrast, Obama won the state in 2008 almost entirely due to the seven-point margin of victory among unaffiliated voters (52/45).  That’s a 23-point flip in a little over two years.

This poll also shows that two Republicans presumed or potentially running for the nomination clearly top the incumbent in Florida.  Romney beats him by five, as does Huckabee, but neither get to 50%.  Sarah Palin trails Obama by twelve points, 39/51, and Donald Trump trails by eight.  There are probably enough retirees from New York City in Florida who have seen enough Donald Trump in their lifetimes.

At the moment, Romney is the leader among GOP voters for the nomination, but not by much.  He gets 23%, five points ahead of Huckabee, ten points ahead of Trump, and 15 points ahead of Tim Pawlenty.  Palin’s standing in the polls has dropped precipitously; she now gets only 5% of Florida primary voters for the nomination, and given the key position of Florida in the nomination process, this is bad news if Palin decides to run.

But the really bad news belongs to Obama. He can win without Florida in a general election, but it won’t be easy, especially if he loses Ohio and Wisconsin, which at least seem possible.  An approval rating of 42% or 43% with majority disapprovals are not numbers that will win the state, and he’s running out of time to turn those around.

Update: I reversed Romney and Huckabee in the primary results — my apologies for the error.  I’ve corrected it above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Read between the lines folks. We are still being played for the fools we are!

Amjean on April 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

And you believe that Elvis is still alive, we never landed on the moon…
Sorry pal, but this “we are equal”, is the same argument that progressives say about Christians and Muslims…they are both equally guilty.
Your argument is the sign of a lazy mind…so easy to say “both”, when you look at the details and you would form your own opinion.
Do you honestly think Republicans put thugs out in front of voting booths, do you think the conservatives had anything like ACORN?
Do you see anyone on the the dem side that is anything like Ryan? Anyone like Palin? Do you see anyone on the Republican side like Pelosi, Reid? Remember Murtha calling our soldiers murderers, ever see that from Republicans?
How about President Bush refusing to criticize current president, ever see that from a dem?
Open your eyes, read more, blog less…and you will see that their is a very real difference.

right2bright on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I thought she might have had a chance. But after the Tucson fiasco, she’s finished.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

So because she decided to point out that she had nothing to do with the shooting, despite accusations to the contrary, people are going to choose $5 per gallon gas and hyperinflation over her? That makes sense. /

Kataklysmic on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Thank God you cleared that up! I thought she was ‘done’ after she said she could see Russia from her house.
Beat it, wingding. If Huck is the nominee, I will sit home.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Wingdick? LOL. If there is one potential nominee I like less than Palin it’s Huck. But nice try.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Kataklysmic on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Yep, pretty much.

If you haven’t figured it out yet…

Nobody ever reads the MSM retractions. The narrative was Palin caused the Tucson shooting. That is what stuck with people.

Gas prices are not Obama’s fault, they’re the fault of Texas oil companies who are making obscene record profits. That is the narrative in the media and it is sticking.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I wonder who is your flavor of the month?

idesign on April 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Opening for T-Paw?

mankai on April 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

LOL LOL LOL This your brain on drugs!

idesign on April 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I wonder who is your flavor of the month?

idesign on April 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Whomeever can beat Obama. It isn’t Palin. That much I know.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Palin will never go third party, she knows that is the biggest gift we could give to little Bammie. A third party from the right puts the lock on his reelection, we might as well cancel it altogether.

It’s really perverse that some conservatives think they can use their vote to ‘punish’ the Republicans. It’s like Sheriff Bart threatening to shoot himself in the head.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM

piss poor journalism Hotair staff. Romney is leading Huck by five IF you read the source.

hanzblinx on April 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I read several of your posts on a Palin thread the other night (or a thread which turned into a Palin thread as many do) and you laid out why your uninformed family and friends won’t vote for Palin but I believe you also said that you wouldn’t either and you are obviously a political junkie who is informed. Correct me if I am wrong.

Kataklysmic on April 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

But after the Tucson fiasco, she’s finished.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Weren’t you a big Palin supporter not too long ago?

Knucklehead on April 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I didn’t say ‘wingdick’, I said wingding. I don’t consider you a troll to be hit with the same type of attacks.
But you are a stupidhead on this one. I’d like to see any of these milqetoasts fill stadiums like Palin.
And no, the media narrative about the eeevil oil companies is NOT sticking. People are wising up to those a$$holes’ tricks.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM

LOL LOL LOL This your brain on drugs!

idesign on April 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

OK dude, you live in your little fantasy world where the MSM doesn’t dictate what people think. In the real world here is how it works:

ABC in 2005 (when has was $2.50)

Americans are not just dissatisfied with the cost of gasoline, a sizable number are downright angry about it. And they might get madder still:
April 2011 CNN (Gas at $4.00)

The potential energy crisis of future years may be sending early transmission signals. Yes, last week (you missed this?) President Obama announced a new(er) energy policy. But still no significant action from Congress or Washington.
This is how the media works. In 2005 there was “anger” at gas prices which of course meant anger towards Bush. In 2011, there is no anger. And look, Obama is trying but it’s nthose nasty Republicans that holding up his brilliant energy plan.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Weren’t you a big Palin supporter not too long ago?

Knucklehead on April 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Nope.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Kataklysmic on April 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I said I wouldn’t vote for her in a primary. If she is the nominee I’d certainly vote for her against Obama.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM

YAWN……………

……Progressives will just trot someone else out if the Obama “brand” gets too tainted. And lucky for the GOP the next BigGov Progressive President will probably be a Republican.

PappyD61 on April 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I can’t imagine Palin taking Philly, Miami-Dade or Cleveland.

What an astute political observer you are.

- The only Republican to win Cleveland since 1956 was Nixon in 1972, by 1%.

- Since 1968, no Republican has done better than 2/1 Democrat in Philadelphia. The last two elections went 4/1 Democrap.

(Can’t find records for Miami)

Jaibones on April 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I don’t know where you live, but I can assure you I know of no one who blames the oil companies. Of course, I can’t find anyone who listens to the MSM anymore, either. Even some of the blacks I know fall silent when it comes to obama. More people than you think are unwilling to vocally state that obama is a complete failure. If he gets 42 million votes in 2012, I’ll eat Jetboy’s hat if there’s any left.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

dont worry, we’ll nominate trump.

lorien1973 on April 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Don’t Worry & Trump nomination

Your statement contradicts itself.

portlandon on April 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

(Can’t find records for Miami)

Jaibones on April 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Miami has never gone Republican.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I’ve got nothing personal against Huck, but he doesn’t seem to have the backbone to withstand another campaign season to take on Hope&Change ver 2.0–even bringing back his body man, Chuck Norris along on the stump won’t help. He’s just too freaking nice and doesn’t appear to want to offend anyone–witness how quickly he backed away from his comments re Natalie Portman.

His show is barf city, if you’ve ever had the misfortune of being stranded at home on a Saturday night and tuned in. It’s like ‘Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood’ for adults in diapers.

Romney…where the hell is Romney? Too much has gone on the last year to remain silent. You can’t keep a neat, groomed head forever, Rom. He needs to get out there and start getting noogied.

RepubChica on April 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM

If he gets 42 million votes in 2012, I’ll eat Jetboy’s hat if there’s any left.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

lol

Kataklysmic on April 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM

portlandon on April 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Thus the point of the comment.

lorien1973 on April 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Whomeever can beat Obama. It isn’t Palin. That much I know.

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM

How can you “know” this?

This is all so familiar. I covered the 1980 New England primaries as an intern reporter for a Boston radio station. I can’t tell you how many Republicans and democrats I interviewed who said the same thing about Reagan. It was their certainty that bothered me at the time. How could they “know” he couldn’t win? They didn’t, of course. I saw Reagan in appearances at the time. His style and speeches were different than Bush’s (his main opponent). He was clear, incisive, solid, natural — real. He said what people were thinking in their conservative soul and wanted to be said, not what he thought they wanted to hear. This was appealing in a deep and charismatic way. He never boosted or pumped the crowd. Bush on the other hand was over-excited, brittle, straining, always trying to be something he thought people wanted and the process demanded — rather than be himself.

I sense the same thing with Palin compared to the others running.

Over the past year she’s not only been incisive and prescient on most issues, she’s been solid, level-headed, natural and abidingly real (in addition to the most consistently and reliably conservative). She moves at her own pace according to to her own style — within herself in the same way Reagan was.

She has comported herself with more skill, facility, grace and knowledge of the issues than any other candidate. Her charisma arises out her naturalness and “realness.”

In the long game, such people emerge as winners.

To say you “know” she cannot win — I can’t buy it. Not wanting her to win is one thing, but you do not “know” she cannot win.

rrpjr on April 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Maybe the fact that no one in Florida can sell their house or condo for more than what it would cost for a nice dinner at the neighborhood Olive Garden has something to do with it.

As much as I hate President Obama, I ain’t too keen on the words “President Huckabee” either.

laurakbarr on April 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM

You and me both, sister. If these are the options next year, I am seriously considering leaving the country until the electorate finds its collective brain again.

NoLeftTurn on April 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Yep, pretty much.

If you haven’t figured it out yet…

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Ok, now we’re getting into moonbat territory here. I’ll grant you that some polls showed the Tuscon smears taking a toll on Palin’s numbers, but we’re talking about an electorate where certain polls have revealed that 35% of voters believe 9/11 was an inside job. What about the poll that showed only 34% believed Obama is a Christian? In other words, there’s a portion of the population that’s capable of believing anything.

And as for the narrative about gas prices being due to evil Texas oil companies, I don’t even hear that crap being spewed on MSDNC. Many are blaming it on the turmoil in the Middle East, but Obama’s gonna have trouble isolating himself from that after attacking Libya and forcing out Mubarak. He’s smack dab in the middle of that chaos now. Couple that with his anti-drilling policy and the fact that he’s the President and the buck stops with him, and it’s no wonder his poll numbers are sliding. Why do you think he was panicked into giving that lame speech on energy a couple weeks ago?

Doughboy on April 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM

rrpjr on April 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for sharing that. I also find it frustrating how sure the skeptics are that Palin would lose. Since they are so prescient, I wish they would share lottery numbers with us instead. At least that might be worth something. People seem to forget Reagan was behind Carter by as much as 25 points at one point. Folks on both sides dismissed him as stupid and dangerous. How so few people see the parallels is mystifying to me. Palin isn’t even running yet, and the media is beginning to coalesce around the idea that she won’t. If/when she throws her hat into the ring and starts campaigning, that’s when things likely will turn around. The candidate with the best retail politicking skills is going to emerge as the nominee. And Palin has proved she is a master of retail politics. Those who underestimate her do so at their peril. Can she win in a general election? That will be tougher, of course, because the political landscape has changed so much since 1980. But I am not prepared to count her out. I don’t think she would do any worse than any other GOP nominee anyway.

NoLeftTurn on April 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Donald Trump trails by eight. There are probably enough retirees from New York City in Florida who have seen enough Donald Trump in their lifetimes

and probably as many who are registered to vote in BOTH states and do so via absentee ballots in one or both.

TexasEngineer on April 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM

He needs to do something dramatic to turn this around. Would a resounding military victory to prevent a humanitarian disaster be of any help? I see Syria lost 194 civilians over the weekend.

a capella on April 11, 2011 at 11:42 AM

DO NOT!!!!!!….

… give him any ideas.

JohnGalt23 on April 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Everyone here is so sure Obama will get the dem’s nomination – well I’m not so sure of that and don’t count Hillary out no matter what she’s currently saying.

LODGE4 on April 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM

rrpjr on April 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

What it amounts to is this: She’s a woman. No way in hell will a woman ever run their country. A black MAN, ok. But no chick could ever do the job. Maybe in Israel or England, but not here! Bro’s before ho’s.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Its pretty simple I will vote for anyone but obama and I will vote

Aggie95 on April 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM

The understanding of Florida is correct … Anybody but Obama.

tarpon on April 11, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Sad but true.

All the trolls and skeptics will now become outrageously outraged at this charge shortly.

NoLeftTurn on April 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

What most are failing to comprehend is without the TEA Party, the RINOs and establishment republicans ARE the third party. Hickabee is a good ole boy joke and just as slimy as the “other” Arkanasa governor that made it to the White House.

volsense on April 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Trending in the right direction.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that 19% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Thirty-nine percent (39%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -20 (see trends).

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Confirmed: Obama in real trouble in Florida

I plan on helping Obama remain in “real trouble” in Florida.

ornery_independent on April 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Sad but true.

NoLeftTurn on April 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

What are you? Some kinda warlock?

ornery_independent on April 11, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Obama will win reelection.
I hate it, but it is inevitable.
Get used to him.
God please protect Israel and USA.

carbon_footprint on April 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I kinda agree with this and it scares the shitte out of me. Something is not right. I don’t feel good about this at all.

Mirimichi on April 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Mr. Trump is doing the one thing all the other candidates are terrified of: Going straight at Mr. Obama. He doesn’t believe the oft-repeated claim by the MSM that Mr. Obama is “unbeatable” in 2012. He doesn’t think Mr. Obama is the greatest orator since Cicero (you don’t see Mr. Trump with a teleprompter). And he thinks voters will understand when he lays out the complexities that America now faces.

For those GOPers huddled and shivering in the wings, take note. Americans hate timidity – and they hate being talked down to, lied to. Fail to heed Mr. Trump, and you’ll find yourself stumping for him next fall.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM

VegasRick on April 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

tee hee :)

cmsinaz on April 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Ed,

Who is that oompa loompa, in the photo with Obozo?

belad on April 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM

rrpjr on April 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

….and a sad state of the country it is when someone whose ACTUAL words are backed up by actual deeds, and when read by most mirror the ACTUAL feelings of most of the people in this country. America IS a special place on Earth. Only one candidate believes that in her heart. And takes multiple slings and arrows for believing it, even from her own supposed party. She can’t be controlled by the Republican party, the Dhimmicrat party, or the national press. Therefore, they ALL actively work against her. She is a loose cannon to them, but she pours powder and shot into the privileged hides of the establishment people who allowed our country to get this far down the road to ruin and bankruptcy….. even the likes of George W Bush, who I love as a Leader, has reservations about the woman. At least he is Man enough to keep his mouth shut in public, and give her the benefit of the doubt….

….and yet she generates more excitement in a crowd than anyone in the race or thought to be contemplating the race.

If you ask yourself whether the country could possibly grow worse if Mrs. Palin were elected, and then you answer yes, then I must question what you believe she would have done that would have been worse than Mr. Obama has done. Would she allow our enemies more leeway to harm us? Would she make worse fiscal decisions than Mr. Obama has? Would she irritate the people who love us and coddle the people who hate us with any greater fervor than Mr. Obama.

And when it comes to Republican candidates, has she changed her positions more frequently than Mr. Romney or Mr. Huckabee? Has she said things which she retracted because of some perceived slight of others, or some mistake of logic, as Huckabee, Romney, Daniels, Pawlenty, and Huntsman have? Has she demonstrated that she wants the Presidency for its own sake more than those men have done by running constantly and by vociferously claiming she is not qualified to be President, although the Constitution gives a bare minimum or requirements for qualification? (Because if Barack Obama is qualified to be President, then so is any slug on the local homeless corner who was born to an American mother or father…. and I’ll eat JetBoy’s hat too.) All of the Republican front runners are more interested in the Presidency for themselves than they are in making America great again. I see not a single Leader and noble Patriot among them, and neither does the consensus of posters at HotAir.

Palin’s only disqualifier is she is a woman who defends her country with more vigor and courage than any male in the race. A sad state when the women who might be President (and I include Hillary in that club) have more balls than the men who seek the office. Her sin is to be born without testicles, and to make men who oppose her look weaker than she is by comparison.

Britons were not ashamed to be led by the Iron Lady, Mrs. Thatcher, nor were they ashamed to be led by a drunk, Sir Winston Churchill. Americans need to look inside themselves and ask why they are so insistent that a woman with guts and determination isn’t clearly a far better Leader for our country than a dishonest, egotistical, and solely self serving asshat as Mr. Obama. If they cannot discern the difference, then they clearly will never regain the greatness and glory of America in 1980, and we shall never see the like of our nation in 1991 or 1945 on this Earth again.

Subsunk

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time. But you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.”

Subsunk on April 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

angryed on April 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM

So you are basically saying that Americans are morons who need to be told what to think and how to act. Americans are not smart enough to see through the charade. We are cows in a field waiting to be slaughtered, mindless drones who can’t think for ourselves, but you have somehow climbed out of the pit of propaganda to see the truth…gotcha.

equanimous on April 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Watch this clip and then you will know why Obamacare must be defunded and gone forever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBaSP31Be8
Anyone who voted for it should be brought up on charges of “crimes against Americans”. What were they thinking? Anyone who votes for Obama again has to have rocks in their head. Beside Sarah Palin and Michele Baughman, Donald Trump is the only one out there who is not afraid of blasting Obama with the truth. He doesn’t soft pedal it either. China is taking all our jobs and OPEC is killing us. This has happened because the politicians don’t know how to run this country as a business. Maybe it is time to get a Trump/Romney ticket going and get this country back on track. We need to drill our own oil and gas and become independent of OPEC and get our jobs back from China. Put Sarah Palin in as Interior Secretary next time and watch how fast we start drilling. American jobs can come back fast if we do this. We need to take back the Senate and White House in 2012. Obama is killing this country. We need to undo everything he has put in place. Can anyone name one good thing that has come out of his administration?Sorry, but I don’t see it.

KCinLV on April 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Subsunk on April 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Good thoughts. I too like Sarah Palin and wish she would run but I think she has been awfully quiet lately and am not sure she is going to. She did good things when she was governor and had a 70% approval rating until Obama and his thugs started their attacks. She is a patriot and loves the country. She backs our military 100%. She knows these debts will lead us to bankruptcy. She would do what is good for America and it is a shame if we didn’t give her the chance just because she is a woman.

KCinLV on April 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I know it’s a dead thread by now (hey, I’ve been workin’ y’all) but consider the mortgage crisis in FL this way: If you are a double-registered Noo Yawker with a summah home in Moyamee Beach, and things change to where you have to choose which mortgage to walk away from—Miami Beach loses, especially if you still have a job back in NYC.

Walking away now is likely to mean that the Post Office will no longer be able to forward mail–including absentee ballots. And someone not under the previous resident’s control could end up with the house, and have a recent utility bill to show the tax office to prove it. I think we are going to see a lot fewer cases of double-registered Yankees in Florida in ’12.

Sekhmet on April 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Subsunk on April 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I hope you don’t have the idea that I wouldn’t vote for her.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

If FL is gone for Obama, and the Republican nominee wins all of Dixie, Obama can’t win without OH, PA, and WI, all of which have new Republican Governors. 2012 could be a year where Governors make the President.

Steve Z on April 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

MI voted in a Republican governor, the “business nerd” (his own description, former CEO of gateway computers).

I think the legislature went red, too this election cycle. A lot of it is due to 8 years of Granholm fatigue (former Dem governor who tried to turnaround the sucky economy here with “green” jobs, epic failure).

Detroit’s population now is officially at 715K, down from almost 2 million back in the day when the auto industry was at its peak. This state is losing 1 or 2 electoral votes, forgot exactly how many, I think 1. This state also elected almost all R’s to Congress, only exception are 2 dinosaur’s who have been in office 100 years each representing the detroit area and the ann arbor area. One of them had the fight of his life in the 2010 election.

So Michigan COULD be in play, but don’t think MI will automatically to for Romney. Almost no one remembers when his dad was governor in the 60′s, that is no one under 60 years old. So he is not the home guy here.

2012 will be an interesting election. I think that Walker’s union reforms will do more to make Obama’s re-election harder, than anything else going on. The dems are going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars to pour into an election to keep dems in office. I don’t think they have enough fake voters in place to overcome losing that funding advantage.

karenhasfreedom on April 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Next time use this picture Ed.

SG1_Conservative on April 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I hope you don’t have the idea that I wouldn’t vote for her.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

No, I understand why you said what you did. It has the ring of Truth to it. And I agree with you.

Subsunk

Subsunk on April 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM

The sad part is much of them are broads. The very same ‘broads’ who clamor for equality.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Many of them.

Don’t attack me for my grammar, curdog.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Heh. Grammar Nazis, eh?

Subsunk on April 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Heh. Grammar Nazis, eh?

Subsunk on April 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Yeah. And I’m one of ‘em.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I wonder how those number are gonna look when gas hit $5.00 a gallon this year…

Khun Joe on April 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

The gas price spike is going to hit at just the worst possible time – just before the summer driving season begins around Memorial Day. It will affect travel and vacation plans, adding one more natural economic stimulus that won’t happen as it normally would.

Then in June or so, the combined effect of higher energy costs and the worldwide grain shortage is going to hit grocery prices hard.

More and more “discretionary income” will be diverted to food and energy. However tentative the recovery seems now, that will likely sink it.

Adjoran on April 12, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Beat it, wingding. If Huck is the nominee, I will sit home.

Lanceman on April 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Uh, Palin never said that…Tina Fey did.

Bevan on April 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Uh, Palin never said that…Tina Fey did.

Bevan on April 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM